Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,481 to 2,500 of 15,210

Blast

This better be the ultimate Zelda game. I'm talking majestic story, hidden content, in depth side missions, tons of attention to detail, combat that's not boring, etc.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

-Green-

@Blast: Apparently they said they were taking the aspects from past Zelda games and using it for this one. If I remember correctly they did mention using aspects from the original Zelda and its nonlinear dungeons and exploration. Who knows what other aspects from other Zelda's they may want to integrate. So yeah, it better be great considering how much they talked it up and delayed it, but most Zelda games turn out pretty darn good.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

professorOak

@Blast: I do hope it's not literally the "ultimate" Zelda game (ie, the last one), but I get what you're saying, and as Aromaiden mentioned, it does sound like they want to go a bit more towards the original feel of the original game with being nonlinear and more open-world. At the same time, they'd been going on for years about how this game is supposed to be about "rethinking the conventions of Zelda". I'd heard rumors though that one of the big reasons they've been taking so long on this game is that somewhere down the road, perhaps since that last look at E3 2014, they may have changed their direction, realized something wasn't working or decided on another route. So who knows what we're actually going to get. The lack of any real news or look at progress since over a year ago is a little disconcerting...

@Dezzy: I'm not sure what you mean about Tetra being bland afterwards, or do you just mean the Zeldas in games between Wind Waker and Skyward Sword were bland? I honestly really like both SS Zelda and Tetra, and I do hope they continue in that track with a more adventurous Zelda. I still haven't played Spirit Tracks, but didn't Zelda take a more assistive/active role in that game too? Putting Zelda closer to the story/action than just a damsel in distress does certainly seem to be a general direction they've been heading. I wonder how long until we outright get to play as her in a main game?

Nintendo Network ID: JibbahJabbahwock

jump

I think Dezzy means once she becomes Zelda and starts wearing a dress in Wind Waker she literally stays in the castle and does nothing as to not get captured only to get captured which is a big turn around from gusto pirate captain.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

-Green-

@arronishere: To be honest, that's why SS's Zelda was my favorite. I found her to be more endearing and active than the other Zeldas. I just found her to be the most overall appealing incarnation of Zelda.

Edited on by -Green-

iKhan

whodatninja wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

I'm still wondering what role Zelda is going to play in the game and how they will design her character. I really enjoyed the way they designed and portrayed her in Skyward Sword(even though the game receives a lot of hate, I still liked it).

Skyward Sword Zelda was my favourite Zelda actually

I hated Zelda in Skyward Sword. The best way to describe her involves words I can't say on NintendoLife, so I'll just say this. She was naggy, and she never really presented anything that would make me like her. She just yelled at you at the beginning, and asked you to save her over and over again at the end.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Jacob717

iKhan wrote:

I hated Zelda in Skyward Sword. The best way to describe her involves words I can't say on NintendoLife, so I'll just say this. She was naggy, and she never really presented anything that would make me like her. She just yelled at you at the beginning, and asked you to save her over and over again at the end.

Did we play the same game? She was very nice, and had a lot of personality.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

iKhan

Jason723 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I can't really say she was mean (like I said just a little naggy), but it's a Zelda game. There aren't that many cutscenes or storytelling moments, so there was very little time for any personality to come out.

I felt like most of her narrative was all tell and no show. Most of the time when she wasn't nagging Link, she was making googly eyes with him and going on about how they were childhood friends and how much she liked him etc. It felt like the developers never tried to show me many likable traits. The only thing I can think of is when the told off Groose when he was taunting Link. And for me, that just wasn't enough.

I'd argue Elena from Pandora's Tower is a lot close to what Zelda should have been. From the beginning of the game, she is oozing with all kinds of emotions. You actually don't learn about her history with Aeron (the protagonist) until several dungeons into the game. Instead, her dialogue is dedicated to making her seem sweet and optimistic.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

whodatninja

iKhan wrote:

Jason723 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I can't really say she was mean (like I said just a little naggy), but it's a Zelda game. There aren't that many cutscenes or storytelling moments, so there was very little time for any personality to come out.

I felt like most of her narrative was all tell and no show. Most of the time when she wasn't nagging Link, she was making googly eyes with him and going on about how they were childhood friends and how much she liked him etc. It felt like the developers never tried to show me many likable traits. The only thing I can think of is when the told off Groose when he was taunting Link. And for me, that just wasn't enough.

I'd argue Elena from Pandora's Tower is a lot close to what Zelda should have been. From the beginning of the game, she is oozing with all kinds of emotions. You actually don't learn about her history with Aeron (the protagonist) until several dungeons into the game. Instead, her dialogue is dedicated to making her seem sweet and optimistic.

Naggy? Skyward Sword's Zelda was sweet, adventurous and optimistic! Character animation was so well done, which is what Skyward Sword thrived on, not so much the dialogue. (Just like Wind Waker!) She oozed personality which isn't what you can say about the usual Zelda, the stoic mage or whatever. (Except Tetra, she was GREAT!)

Not to copy Jason, but, did we in fact play the same.game?

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

professorOak

I also don't get the complaints about SS Zelda - she was perfectly sweet and pretty much had her own quest going on while Link was doing his own stuff, which I really liked. Those little moments of running into her and Impa doing their own separate thing was interesting, though I would have liked to be able to play that part at all. It would be neat of Zelda Wii U did some switching of POV's, but I can understand if that would be a bit too big of a change for them. Still, didn't Aonuma once say one of the things they questioned when rethinking the conventions of Zelda is whether you necessarily have to play as Link?

Really, the most annoying character in SS to me was Fi. Not necessarily because of her personality or character or anything, which was fine, but more just because she was pretty much an embodiment of everything people liked to complain about regarding Navi, only ramped up to a degree. Navi only outright interrupted gameplay and forced you to listen to her maybe twice in the whole game, both during the first dungeon. Fi, however, did this multiple times throughout the entire playthrough of the game, and it got a bit grating. It didn't help that I felt her commentary wasn't nearly as interesting as previous companions like Navi or Tatl. Here's hoping if there is a companion in the Wii U Zelda, they'll be a bit less intrusive.

jump

I'd like to see everything currently annoying people about the new Fire Emblem added to Zelda just to see people's reactions, with the top new feature being have an amie rubbing thing where you have to rub your fairy otherwise it offers you advice by going "listen" constantly.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

-Green-

@arronishere: If they added the Amie feature, what would Link say? Would he just make random grunts, groans and noises O.O?

Edited on by -Green-

jump

Aromaiden wrote:

@arronishere: If they added the Amie feature, what would Link say? Would he just make random grunts, groans and noises O.O?

"Well excuse me" obviously!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

-Green-

arronishere wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

"Well excuse me" obviously!

XD Oh my. That's brilliant.

erv

That gorgeous art style shows our eyeballs some love, and we'll be playing the most revolutionary zelda in decades, and link opens his mouth...

...and he sounds like toad.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

So... you prefer dependent, submissive women? Is what I'm getting from this.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

professorOak

I don't even recall Zelda ever "nagging" Link in SS. When did this happen? My recollection of Skyward Sword had Zelda spending most of the game on her own adventure with Impa guarding her as she toured around to the various temples while Link was doing his own thing. They had separate and concurrent duties going on.

-Green-

@professorOak: She kind of "nagged" him at one point in the beginning when they were still at Skyloft, for being lazy and very laid back, but she did it in a very friendly and caring manner. Other than that, I don't recall anything else.

professorOak

@Aromaiden: Isn't being nagged by someone for sleeping in and waking up late something that happens at the beginning of almost every Zelda game? Definitely not the kind of thing to use as a marker of any one character in particular. Certainly not as much instances that could be called nagging, as say, the N64 fairies or something.

-Green-

@professorOak: I agree. I loved SS Zelda more than any other, and I found her care and protectiveness over Link to be very touching. Although some people may have seen it as "nagging", I saw it is as her playfully interacting with Link, but others may have seen it differently and held bad first impressions towards her.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic