Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 15,210

Haru17

MegaMari0 wrote:

Ooor, how about that fight between Link vs dark link. you know, multiple fights over the series. Will there be another like it in this one maybe? you know.... to get the conversation back on Zelda U.

Weirdly enough he hasn't been around since Ocarina in the main series, has he? And the cameo in TP.

We need a new Dark Link fight, stat... set in world 8, with LAZAR swords. It'd be totally radical!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Eel

Dark link has appeared in multiple games since then.

Including... Oracle of Ages, A Link to the Past GBA, Four Swords Adventures and Hyrule Warriors (spin-off, but still).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

Including... Oracle of Ages, A Link to the Past GBA, Four Swords Adventures and Hyrule Warriors (spin-off, but still).

in the main series
in the main series
in the main series, m8, read, m8.

Eel

I read that part

Though, I think his only big role ever (besides being the final boss in 2) was as a recurrent villain in FSA. So it would be nice to see they use the character for something other than "cool mini boss".

(Or witch's assistant, as he's been used twice)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

I read that part

Though, I think his only big role ever (besides being the final boss in 2) was as a recurrent villain in FSA. So it would be nice to see they use the character for something other than "cool mini boss".

(Or witch's assistant, as he's been used twice)

I dunno, I think Ocarina of Time's 'cool miniboss' route was the perfect role for him. He's not really a character, so it's not like he can be the main antagonist in 2016+

Blast

Morpheel wrote:

Dark Link was in A Link To The Past?! When?!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CaviarMeths

Oracle of Ages is absolutely main series canon. I just did a playthrough of that timeline last year, actually. Link to the Past -> Oracle of Ages/Seasons -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds... and then I stopped because I'm not overly fond of Zelda 1/2.

And Hyrule Warriors can be considered canon in a weird Warriors Orochi alternate dimension sort of place. Maybe admissible, because post-OoT is already a big jumble of alternate dimensions anyway.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Eel

Well, any game in the series can spawn multiple universes, since failing the quest aparently means you created an alternate time line.

Bloop.

CanisWolfred

Morpheel wrote:

In the palace of the four swords of course!

A.k.a. That one extra dungeon most people never played.

I played it. Was hard as balls and almost as long and tedious as the actual final dungeon...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Oracle of Ages is absolutely main series canon. I just did a playthrough of that timeline last year, actually. Link to the Past -> Oracle of Ages/Seasons -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds... and then I stopped because I'm not overly fond of Zelda 1/2.

And Hyrule Warriors can be considered canon in a weird Warriors Orochi alternate dimension sort of place. Maybe admissible, because post-OoT is already a big jumble of alternate dimensions anyway.

No, they're not in the 'main' series because the main series is and obviously has been the 3D games. That's where all of the attention falls. That's why we're in the ZU thread, not the ALBW thread discussing this; because big, amazing showpiece console titles are what it's all about.

And really, as your poster indicates no one even grasps Zelda canon.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

No, they're not in the 'main' series

Yup, they are.

You're dismissed.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Eel

We should add "only the home console 3D Zeldas count" to the Zelda discussion bingo sheet.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

We should add "only the home console 3D Zeldas count" to the Zelda discussion bingo sheet.

...he or she posted in the console Zelda thread.

Portable games have been side-entries for every crossplatform franchise except Pokemon and now Monster Hunter.

Just think about it, it's Metal Gear Solid 4, not Peacewalker... there aren't many examples because handheld gaming is so small now.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

Portable games have been spinoffs for every crossplatform franchise except Pokemon and now Monster Hunter.

You're calling handheld Zelda games spin-offs now? Come on LOL.

Also,

Pokemon
Monster Hunter
Zelda
Smash
Mario
Mario Kart
Fire Emblem
Dragon Quest
Shin Megami Tensei
Castlevania
Mega Man
Metroid

All of the above had had main series entries on handheld, and all but the last 3 on current gen handheld. I'm probably missing quite a few, just going over my DS/3DS collection right now.

iKhan

I guess New Super Mario Bros and Kirby's Dreamland are spinoffs now.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Portable games have been spinoffs for every crossplatform franchise except Pokemon and now Monster Hunter.

You're calling handheld Zelda games spin-offs now? Come on LOL.

Also,

Zelda
Smash
Mario
Mario Kart
Fire Emblem
Dragon Quest
Shin Megami Tensei
Castlevania
Mega Man
Metroid

All of the above had had main series entries on handheld, and all but the last 3 on current gen handheld. I'm probably missing quite a few, just going over my DS/3DS collection right now.

Look at all of that evidence! Thanks for going to the effort of proving my point for me.

Zelda - The last 3 portable entries have only had one well received game, which was a product of self-plagiarism of A Link to the Past, a console game.
Smash - It is universally said that the portable version is a mere distraction from the nice-looking console version and, more importantly, the star of the show; local multiplayer.
Mario - Better versions of the latest 2D and 3D games released on console.
Mario Kart - People have forgotten the number 7 exists.
Fire Emblem - Nintendo switched the franchise to handheld.
Dragon Quest - A Japan-based audience so they're doing portable stuff with it, naturally.
Shin Megami Tensei - The latest and greatest Persona, 5, is coming to Playstation home consoles only. Persona 4 Golden was just an enhanced port of a PS2 game, like the 3DS Zelda remakes, basically.
Castlevania - Dead franchise?
Mega Man - Dead franchise?
Metroid - Dead franchise? The last 4 games were released on console, there was only one actual portable game, Fusion, a remake of the first game, Hunters, and a pinball game on handheld.

Anyway, I didn't mean handheld Zelda games are 'spinoffs,' just not part of the 'main series.' Plenty of franchises have different series and sub-series within them, for most AAA games the console releases are the focal points. Both audience attention and developer effort fixate on console releases for almost every franchise. Talk to anyone and they liked ALBW, but they're still waiting for the next big Zelda game; a console game, obviously.

Though, you have to admit, the latest years of handheld Zelda games haven't been events, have they? The games just aren't made to be as noteworthy as they once were on handheld.

Edited on by Haru17

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

Zelda - The last 3 portable entries have only had one well received game, which was a product of self-plagiarism of A Link to the Past, a console game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/the-legend-of-zelda-phantom...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-...

They look pretty well received to me. Also I don't know why you bother playing any game sequels, wouldn't they all be "a product of self-plagiarism?"

Also I don't see how Castlevania is a dead franchise, there was a game released last year, or do you require a series to have yearly releases to be considered alive?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

Look at all of that evidence! Thanks for going to the effort of proving my point for me.

You're welcome. For posterity, your point was that portable platforms don't get main series games. Let's see how that holds up.

Demonstrably wrong. All three were well-received and commercially successful. All three were mainline entries. A Link Between Worlds is what people often refer to as a sequel, and was even called Link to the Past 2 in Japan. And "self-plagiarism" isn't even a thing. Stop making up ridiculous terms.

Smash - It is universally said that the portable version is a mere distraction from the nice-looking console version and, more importantly, the star of the show; local multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fBiCNiR1E
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=It+is+known.

Mario - Better versions of the latest 2D and 3D games released on console.

Oh man, a better version of a recent thing is on a console. Guess that makes them not main series.

Just kidding, I'm lying. It totally doesn't.

Mario Kart - People have forgotten the number 7 exists.

Because it's an iterative series and there's a newer one out. People have forgotten MKWii exists too. And Modern Warfare 3 and Madden NFL '94 for that matter.

Fire Emblem - Nintendo switched the franchise to handheld.

And then back to console and then back to handheld again. You should totally play Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn though. You'll thank me later for bringing their existence to your attention.

Dragon Quest - A Japan-based audience so they're doing portable stuff with it, naturally.

Naturally.

Good thing for fans in the west though, Square Enix has its mega popular Star Ocean franchise coming to PS4.

Shin Megami Tensei - The latest and greatest Persona, 5, is coming to Playstation home consoles only. Persona 4 Golden was just an enhanced port of a PS2 game, like the 3DS Zelda remakes, basically.

You've activated my trap card.

Persona is a spin-off.

Castlevania - Dead franchise?
Mega Man - Dead franchise?
Metroid - Dead franchise? The last 4 games were released on console, there was only one actual portable game, Fusion, a remake of the first game, Hunters, and a pinball game on handheld.

I disclosed that these three didn't have a main series entry on current gen. Well, I'm not sure if I want to call Lord of Shadows main series, but I guess it is. And it has an entry on 3DS, which isn't a spin-off.

Demonstrably wrong on Metroid. Metroid 2 was a Game Boy game. And 3 of the last 4 games were spin-offs (boy, you're gonna hate me calling Prime a spin-off). The fourth is being swept under the rug by everyone.

Anyway, I didn't mean handheld Zelda games are 'spinoffs,' just not part of the 'main series.' Plenty of franchises have different series and sub-series within them, for most AAA games the console releases are the focal points. Both audience attention and developer effort fixate on console releases for almost every franchise. Talk to anyone and they liked ALBW, but they're still waiting for the next big Zelda game; a console game, obviously.

Irrelevant. Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds are all main series. Seriously, you can't just jovially redefine the term "main series" to mean "things I care about." Language doesn't work like that.

Though, you have to admit, the latest years of handheld Zelda games haven't been events, have they? The games just aren't made to be as noteworthy as they once were on handheld.

How far back are you going here? Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds all outsold Minish Cap by a large margin, which was the second worst selling game in the series after Four Swords Adventures. Phantom Hourglass is the best selling handheld Zelda ever, outselling most of the console Zelda games, including its own prequel Wind Waker.

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/the-legend-of-zelda-phantom...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-...

They look pretty well received to me. Also I don't know why you bother playing any game sequels, wouldn't they all be "a product of self-plagiarism?"

Also I don't see how Castlevania is a dead franchise, there was a game released last year, or do you require a series to have yearly releases to be considered alive?

Konami m8. And Lords of Shadows wasn't very well received. I did put a question mark there, to be fair (which, I suppose, is a task left entirely to me.)

Anyway, ALBW is self-plagiarism above just a somewhat similar sequel, obviously, because they couldn't be bothered to ask their level designers for help. Did you even play it? It was the same world and plot points as ALttP, again, obviously.

And I don't care what metacritic, of all things, says of the ds Zeldas. How they were designed was wonky and the general consensus I've seen is that touching was in fact not good. Why else do you think ALBW was so well received? I'm sure people wouldn't have rolled out the banners for it if the last 2 2D Zeldas had been button-controlled and not rendered on the PS1 (because it wouldn't have been as special.)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic