Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 15,201

MsJubilee

DefHalan wrote:

Yes Nintendo is going to drop support for a console 2 years before the next one, I am sure Nintendo is going to do that and hasn't learned from what happened with the Wii U from doing that to the Wii

Thee Wii and Wiiu are two different things,one sold amazingly well by luck, the other is a sinking ship. And why use this huge title on a sinking ship?That won't get them anywhere?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

iKhan

TwilightAngel wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Yes Nintendo is going to drop support for a console 2 years before the next one, I am sure Nintendo is going to do that and hasn't learned from what happened with the Wii U from doing that to the Wii

Thee Wii and Wiiu are two different things,one sold amazingly well by luck, the other is a sinking ship. And why use this huge title on a sinking ship?That won't get them anywhere?

If by luck you mean spot on execution and publicity.

And yes, it will get them somewhere. The majority of people who have Wii U's right now are probably big time Ninty fans. That's not a group of people you want to burn by omitting a game in your flagship franchise.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

TwilightAngel wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

And yes, it will get them somewhere. The majority of people who have Wii U's right now are probably big time Ninty fans. That's not a group of people you want to burn by omitting a game in your flagship franchise.

'This man should make out business decisions.' said no one who was being realistic that day.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

TwilightAngel wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

'This man should make out business decisions.' said no one who was being realistic that day.

What?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

What?

You're too close to the Wii U, you aren't suggesting shrewd business definitions. It's obviously not a platform that can grow. They already announced what will probably be the next console and have no Wii U game announced for 2016 save Zelda.

yokokazuo

@Haru17 with the Wii U at roughly 10 million sales now, Nintendo releasing a new console and completely ditching the Wii U would burn a lot of owners. I personally would wait at least a few more years if a new console came out next year (although the earliest I could see it is 2017, but even then I am pretty sure it will be a handheld)
Plus I have both a Japanese and NA Wii U so it would definitely feel like a waste of money to have a console receiving no more games after just a few years of support.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Haru17

yokokazuo wrote:

@Haru17 with the Wii U at roughly 10 million sales now, Nintendo releasing a new console and completely ditching the Wii U would burn a lot of owners. I personally would wait at least a few more years if a new console came out next year (although the earliest I could see it is 2017, but even then I am pretty sure it will be a handheld)
Plus I have both a Japanese and NA Wii U so it would definitely feel like a waste of money to have a console receiving no more games after just a few years of support.

No one else has a Japanese Wii U, like, no one. That's was your judgment to make. And how many Wii U owners are even paying attention? How many are engaged and buying games? 1-2 million? Maybe 3? You can't run a mass media business off of a few million customers.

erv

Lol, I was stating I really expected it this year. So much for wrong expectations, lol...

Anyway, I like how they want to make it a great game instead of one on time. I am curious what thus means for nx though.

It may very well be an nx and wii u dual launch like twilight princess was. That combined with a great multiplayer game secures a launch line up like with the wii.

There's some serious strategic stuff going on over at nintendo hq:p

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Haru17

The one thing I am pissed about is if the 2015 release date was just made up all along. I take people at their word and was willing to believe Nintendo when they announced that date. I'm not fond of being made to look an optimistic fool.

Haru17

That, and the fact that it will literally have been 10 years since Nintendo has released a good, new Zelda game, by my reckoning. For me, the last good Zelda game was Twilight Princess. That will have been a whole decade ago... damn.

I mean, I can't exactly be angry at Nintendo for doing that... I do feel a bit betrayed and disappointed because they just plum stopped making the games that I loved them for to release bunch of soulless, plotless, fun exclusive to local multiplayer sequels.

Edited on by Haru17

DefHalan

Haru17 wrote:

That, and the fact that it will literally have been 10 years since Nintendo has released a good, new Zelda game, by my reckoning. For me, the last good Zelda game was Twilight Princess. That will have been a whole decade ago... damn.

I mean, I can't exactly be angry at Nintendo for doing that... I do feel a bit betrayed and disappointed because they just plum stopped making the games that I loved them for to release bunch of soulless, plotless, fun exclusive to local multiplayer sequels.

There have been four Zelda games released since Twilight Princess. I have enjoyed all of them. (except that latest one as I haven't gotten to play that yet) I think you just don't know what you are talking about and just typing out of emotion of a game you wanted got delayed

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

Wait, Twilight Princess was the last one that wasn't soulless?

I mean, I love Twilight Princess but it was a hilariously pandering to the OOT fans sort fo game. Like, so blatantly.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Wait, Twilight Princess was the last one that wasn't soulless?

I mean, I love Twilight Princess but it was a hilariously pandering to the OOT fans sort fo game. Like, so blatantly.

Just... let it go. Haru's opinions on Zelda are canon.

Anyway, at risk of putting my foot in my mouth again, I'll eat my damn hat if Zelda U is cross-gen. It happened once before, so it's hardly any precedent. Quoting myself from GAF:

This is speculation on top of speculation on top of speculation. It's taking for granted that the NX is (a) a successor to the Wii U and (b) releasing in 2016. That's an incredibly weak foundation. It's like trying to sit on top of a chair that's on top of a ball that's on top of a waterbed.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

Yeah I do agree. Honestly considering how long the other companies plan to keep to their consoles going, Nintendo could wait until 2017 for a Wii U successor and the generation would only be half over. Maybe I just don't want the console I play the most to be replaced any time soon, I dunno.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

You know what? Let's throw down; what 'soul' has there been in Zelda the last near-decade? Reliving past glories, check. Trains, check (not even ghost Zelda had a soul, not with the villain from the Leprechaun movies). Those off-brand Deku scrubs? Animoo trope X900 Zelda, check (manic pixie dream girls are soulless constructs meant to manipulate awkward teenage boys, I would know, I used to be one). How about off-brand zoras? Groose!?! I don't even need to explain how obviously soulless he was. A Link Between Worlds doesn't have soul because you generally need real characters to have any soul. Hyrule Warriors? Maybe there's a soul trapped deep within Cia's bosom, you know, if you stare at it long enough.

So do tell me where the soul has been in Zelda lately? Do tell.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

I, too, get mad when people like games that I didn't like.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

I, too, get mad when people like games that I didn't like.

I am not angry, simply affronted. Of you're going to trash on my honest view then at least have the decency to justify your disagreement. It's not like I've ever played a game and tried not to enjoy it :/

Edited on by Haru17

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Thing is, the original DS could only run 2D (don't get me started on Avalon Code graphics). The 3DS is plenty more technologically capable, especially the new one. And your logic isn't consistent; the original DS had a 7 year lifespan, 2016 would only be 5 years since the 3DS launched. Not to mention that the exact same dev team makes all the Zelda games; handheld and console. You still didn't answer my point about mobile gaming taking more and more of the install base each generation.

The only reason the NX is being brought up at all is because some people are assuming it's a Wii U replacement AND THEN assuming that Zelda is being delayed so it can launch alongside the NX. What I'm trying to do is show that the first part of that isn't a forgone conclusion. What versions of Zelda the Zelda team works on doesn't matter, this Zelda isn't a portable game. If the NX is a portable then it would therefore have nothing to do with this.

So now that's out of the way, you asked why Nintendo should bother with a new handheld when that market is being eaten up by mobile. I think you answered that yourself. Because mobile hardware is getting better every day. The 3DS while "good at 3D" is less capable of decent visuals than even mid-range phones and tablets these days. Let alone in a years time. And because, as you said, their portable business it their bigger cash cow? They need to work harder than ever to make sure they maintain dominance. A Wii U successor if they pull a rabbit out of the hat might give them a bit more "gamer cred", a 3DS successor could completely misread the market and still print money.

As I've said in other threads, it has a lot more to do with what their competitors will be doing. The 3DS is at risk of a rapid decline even with the New 3DS which is little more than a bandage. A new portable would reverse that. And sure, the Wii U is not a smash hit by any stretch but there's little they can do now to change that. A new console that tries to beat the PS4 at the point when it'll have the most content and momentum? Good luck. They need to strike when their competitors are on the downward trajectory, not when they're at their peak.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Henmii

"Don't complain about the golden age, man"

Lol, I didn't! I just said its a bit of a Twilight princess situation. Everybody who wanted the Gamecube version freaked out because Nintendo kept their mouths shut. Only one or 2 months before the release they said: Don't worry, it still comes to Gamecube.

I just hope that IF the new Zelda comes to NX and IF the Wii u version isn't canceled, they make that clear much more earlier then 2 months before release. But I admit, its all speculation. And there's also a chance NX isn't a home-console at all, but a new handheld.

Either way, I hope they make it a great game! I still look forward to it, I just hoped to see it at E3. And I still hope to see it on Wii u.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

You still didn't answer my point about mobile gaming taking more and more of the install base each generation.

Yeah, all one of them. We are still currently in the only generation in which smartphones are eating handheld market share. There isn't near enough data to make out any sort of pattern. All we know is that there are a lot of people who would rather just play games for free or $0.99 on their phone than buy a dedicated handheld. We don't know if there will be more of them in 5 years.

I mean, even if you wanted to call last gen part of the rise of smartphones, the DS sold 150 million units, making it by far the most successful handheld ever, as well as Nintendo's most successful product, period. Not a great argument.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic