Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 15,210

Haru17

Henmii wrote:

"They've spent all of this time developing it on the Wii U. They're not just gonna ditch that"

We'll see! Its a bit of a Twilight Princess situation, though in that case the game still arrived on Gamecube. But man, did Nintendo keep us in the cold back then. It was at a VERY late date that Nintendo finally revealed it would still come to Gamecube. However, in Japan it wasn't even available at Retail.

Back to Zelda u: I can see Nintendo ditching the Wii u version of the new Zelda though, because it wouldn't have saved the Wii u anyway. And they are probably reworking the game for NX as we speak.

Oh boo, hoo. The turn of the century was great for Zelda there was a great game in 1998, 2000, 2003, and 2006. That was only a span of 8 years! What has there been in the 8 years since 3D-wise? A great game in 2006, a game in 2011, a remake, and another remake in 2013. The development cycle has obviously slowed due to the increasing cost of AAAs. Don't complain about the golden age, man.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

iKhan wrote:

Is Nintendo high? Like, in what world does it make sense to delay your big holiday title. Look, as a Zelda fan, I understand. As a person who wants to see Nintendo succeed, I'm pissed. The Wii U's grave has already been dug, but this sealed the coffin.

That said, it'd be interesting if this were ported to the NX. I genuinely believe that the NX is a handheld launching winter 2016. A port would be understandable.

A world where consumers are sick of half-finished games being rushed to meet the holiday deadline.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

Henmii wrote:

"They've spent all of this time developing it on the Wii U. They're not just gonna ditch that"

We'll see! Its a bit of a Twilight princess situation, though in that case the game still arrived on Gamecube. But man, did Nintendo keep us in the cold back then. It was at a VERY late date that Nintendo finally revealed it would still come to Gamecube. However, in Japan it wasn't even available at Retail.

Back to Zelda u: I can see Nintendo ditching the Wii u version of the new Zelda though, because it wouldn't have saved the Wii u anyway. And they are probably reworking the game for NX as we speak.

But there is no way the NX is a console. Why would it be? The Wii U will only be 4 years old in winter. The 3DS will be 5 years old in the SPRING. The latter NEEDS an update, while the former won't even have a full lifecycle. You can say the 3DS is selling well relative to the Wii U, but sales are tumbling, and it's more outdated than the Wii U will be for years.

That said, if it's a handheld, a simultaneous release would make a lot of sense.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LzWinky

Because we love drawing conclusions based on nothing at all

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Henmii wrote:

We'll see! Its a bit of a Twilight princess situation, though in that case the game still arrived on Gamecube. But man, did Nintendo keep us in the cold back then. It was at a VERY late date that Nintendo finally revealed it would still come to Gamecube. However, in Japan it wasn't even available at Retail.

But there is no way the NX is a console. Why would it be? The Wii U will only be 4 years old in winter. The 3DS will be 5 years old in the SPRING. The latter NEEDS an update, while the former won't even have a full lifecycle. You can say the 3DS is selling well relative to the Wii U, but sales are tumbling, and it's more outdated than the Wii U will be for years.

That said, if it's a handheld, a simultaneous release would make a lot of sense.

But the 3DS is profitable. That's what so many here don't understand. How can Nintendo launch a new handheld generation a year after they boosted the hardware of the last? That doesn't make sense, even the DSI was 2 years before 3DS original.

Especially not since every new handheld generation will launch to diminishing returns with smartphones ever-proliferating. Why wouldn't Nintendo keep profiting from the 3DS until sales drop 6-8 years are up and better hardware is cheaper to produce? The NX could be a handheld, but it releasing in 2016 period doesn't make sense.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

But the 3DS is profitable. That's what so many here don't understand. How can Nintendo launch a new handheld generation a year after they boosted the hardware of the last? That doesn't make sense, even the DSI was 2 years before 3DS original.

And the DS was the best selling platform globally in 2010 and from what I can tell every single year of its life. It ended up being basically tied with the PS2 for the best selling platform ever. But they still released the 3DS in early 2011. Even in 2011 the DS still moved 8mill units so it's not like it was dead. Nintendo would kill for one year of post-3DS DS numbers for the Wii U.

You've gotta remember that the portable and handheld sides of Nintendo should be looked at in isolation from each other. Sure when you look at the sales numbers it looks like the Wii U needs a refresh more than the 3DS. But the 3DS has always been doing better and even if the Wii U picks up it probably will continue to do better. That doesn't mean that the 3DS doesn't need a revision.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Nicolai

That was a nicely mature way of breaking the information to us. Yeah, they shouldn't have said 2015 in the first place if they weren't more sure, but at least they didn't wait until we were excited about it's E3 showing. It was nice to hear Aonuma deliver it personally. It better be a stellar game, though!

Haru17 wrote:

I so *$%#ing called it! Well, not really, but how about that timing, eh? It's like Aonuma made this announcement to specifically vindicate my hypothesis.

How about an honorable mention to the guy who was backing you up? <This guy...

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

And the DS was the best selling platform globally in 2010 and from what I can tell every single year of its life. It ended up being basically tied with the PS2 for the best selling platform ever. But they still released the 3DS in early 2011. Even in 2011 the DS still moved 8mill units so it's not like it was dead. Nintendo would kill for one year of post-3DS DS numbers for the Wii U.

You've gotta remember that the portable and handheld sides of Nintendo should be looked at in isolation from each other. Sure when you look at the sales numbers it looks like the Wii U needs a refresh more than the 3DS. But the 3DS has always been doing better and even if the Wii U picks up it probably will continue to do better. That doesn't mean that the 3DS doesn't need a revision.

Thing is, the original DS could only run 2D (don't get me started on Avalon Code graphics). The 3DS is plenty more technologically capable, especially the new one. And your logic isn't consistent; the original DS had a 7 year lifespan, 2016 would only be 5 years since the 3DS launched. Not to mention that the exact same dev team makes all the Zelda games; handheld and console. You still didn't answer my point about mobile gaming taking more and more of the install base each generation.

That and the Wii U obviously should be refreshed first because it isn't profitable, and Nintendo is a company, that has a lot of mouths to feed to continue existing. So profit is rather important to them; they're not entirely a mystical, unknowable entity.

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Henmii wrote:

Especially not since every new handheld generation will launch to diminishing returns with smartphones ever-proliferating. Why wouldn't Nintendo keep profiting from the 3DS until sales drop 6-8 years are up and better hardware is cheaper to produce? The NX could be a handheld, but it releasing in 2016 period doesn't make sense.

By holiday 2016, the New 3DS will be more than 2 years old in Japan. And the Wii U IS profitable, just not very. If Nintendo burns Wii U owners with such a short lifecycle, it will be less profitable in the long term. The 3DS is a severe bottleneck for Nintendo right now. Support is difficult as its one of the weakest, if not THE weakest mainstream platform available right now. The architecture, online setup, and OS are different from the Wii U. It's holding them back badly. That's not to mention the fact that Nintendo has released a major game in nearly every major franchise in the 3DS. It's just Metroid, Star Fox, and F-zero now, and of those only Metroid seems likely within the next 2 years. They need to move on.

If Nintendo put out an HD handheld, it would allow them signicantly more parity between systems, being able to launch games simultaneously on both.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

If Nintendo put out an HD handheld, it would allow them signicantly more parity between systems, being able to launch games simultaneously on both.

Think what you will, I wouldn't mind a 1080p handheld either, but an expensive piece of portable hardware like the Vita probably taught Nintendo some lessons. Not to mention they need to build up for a better launch than the 3DS'.

And the NX could function as both handheld and console for all we know.

Nicolai wrote:

That was a nicely mature way of breaking the information to us. Yeah, they shouldn't have said 2015 in the first place if they weren't more sure, but at least they didn't wait until we were excited about it's E3 showing. It was nice to hear Aonuma deliver it personally. It better be a stellar game, though!

Haru17 wrote:

I so *$%#ing called it! Well, not really, but how about that timing, eh? It's like Aonuma made this announcement to specifically vindicate my hypothesis.

How about an honorable mention to the guy who was backing you up? <This guy...

But of course! We were right, and the others wrong. That means we're better than them.

Lol, anyway I did respect the way Aonuma addressed the audience in that video. It sounded more honest than a press release or even a Nintendo Direct.

Edited on by Haru17

Electricmastro

The game looked like it was still in a late alpha stage when it was shown at The Game Awards last year, and I couldn't imagine them being able to finish a project that big by this year.

It's a little disappointing considering this was gonna be the Wii U's major release of the year, but hopefully E3 might reveal a couple others to fill the void for Nintendo's holiday lineup.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

iKhan

TingLz wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Is Nintendo high? Like, in what world does it make sense to delay your big holiday title. Look, as a Zelda fan, I understand. As a person who wants to see Nintendo succeed, I'm pissed. The Wii U's grave has already been dug, but this sealed the coffin.

That said, it'd be interesting if this were ported to the NX. I genuinely believe that the NX is a handheld launching winter 2016. A port would be understandable.

A world where consumers are sick of half-finished games being rushed to meet the holiday deadline.

Don't get me wrong; as a Zelda fan, I'd be really angry if we got a half finished Zelda game. It would not only ruin the game by forcing me to wait for either an update or patch, but it would devalue the series as a whole.

But as both a Nintendo fan who wants the company to do well, and as a very small time Nintendo stockholder who wants to make money, I'm not happy, because Nintendo let what could have been a very strong year for the Wii U (relatively to the previous years) go.

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Think what you will, I wouldn't mind a 1080p handheld either, but an expensive piece of portable hardware like the Vita probably taught Nintendo some lessons. Not to mention they need to build up for a better launch than the 3DS'.

And the NX could function as both handheld and console for all we know.

The Vita's problem wasn't that it COULD play console quality games, it was that it was advertised as a system that DID play original console-quality games. This led development for the system to be based around that idea, so games became more expensive, and less viable for a handheld market. Modern Smartphones are also very powerful and expensive, but they see a lot more success in gaming, because the game available on the platform understand the market better. Even the non FTP games tend to be far cheaper to create and purchase than a console game.

The 3DS is system that truly supports 3D gameplay, which instantly makes things more expensive in general. But Nintendo was smart, in that they didn't push for all experiences to be these big 3D PS2/GC style games; instead giving themselves and developers room to make simpler, often 2D games. As long as Nintendo sticks with the same philosophy for an HD handheld, they should be fine (especially if they can reduce initial costs by simply making games available for both platforms (Wii U and NX (handheld))

UNRELATED, but relevant to Zelda. Eiji Aonuma clearly isn't a very good producer if what he said in the video is true. A Producer is supposed to know when to say no, and how to keep the game on track. If he's just letting development go on without a firm deadline, that's poor work producing.

Edited on by iKhan

MegaMari0

What I'm afraid of is that they delay this to add whatever it is they're doing, but don't properly flesh out these ideas/concepts so they will feel tacked on and not a natural extension to the original plan. Like how Metroid Prime 2 had multiplayer but that felt tacked on and unnecessary.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Haru17

Lol @ Wii U being a thing post 2015. That wishful thinking I can't even... Besides a few outliers it'll very likely die off just like late era Wii while Nintendo, hopefully, preps to launch their next hardware.

And why are you getting on Aonuma's case? He should be commended for putting more effort into a game, especially one as hallowed as Zelda. That gives you an end product of better value as a consumer. Not to mention it's probably getting ported.

Edited on by Haru17

MsJubilee

Haru17 wrote:

Lol @ Wii U being a thing post 2015. That wishful thinking I can't even... Besides a few outliers it'll very likely die off just like late era Wii while Nintendo, hopefully, preps to launch their next hardware.

And why are you getting on Aonuma's case? He should be commended for putting more effort into a game, especially one as hallowed as Zelda. That gives you an end product of better value as a consumer. Not to mention it's probably getting ported.

Better to market the NX with a launch game that's big as Zelda,than desperately trying to keep the Wii U relevant with the title.So i hope it's for the NX or what ever the new console is called.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

DefHalan

Yes Nintendo is going to drop support for a console 2 years before the next one, I am sure Nintendo is going to do that and hasn't learned from what happened with the Wii U from doing that to the Wii

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

2015 was supposed to be the Wii U's big year. It had such a huge game lineup set that would boost the public interest in the system to a degree. Zelda U was the keystone element of that, and it's gone. That's not to say that The Wii U was going to take off, but it did seem like it'd have it's best year yet.

As for Aonuma, I'm all for end value, but I'm commenting on his job as a producer. The producer is supposed to manage the productivity and timeliness on a game. The two console games Aonuma produced (SS and this one) have been delayed, that reflects poorly on his ability to manage.

Nicolai

I would much rather finally have a Zelda game for my Wii U then this new system, which I may not even get the first year it's out.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

2015 was supposed to be the Wii U's big year. It had such a huge game lineup set that would boost the public interest in the system to a degree. Zelda U was the keystone element of that, and it's gone. That's not to say that The Wii U was going to take off, but it did seem like it'd have it's best year yet.

As for Aonuma, I'm all for end value, but I'm commenting on his job as a producer. The producer is supposed to manage the productivity and timeliness on a game. The two console games Aonuma produced (SS and this one) have been delayed, that reflects poorly on his ability to manage.

Didn't Miyamoto make them redo all of the assets from a Twilight Princess-like style into SS's more 80s Zelda TV show-like style part way through development? I would blame him for that. Zelda U is obviously a huge project, so that's understandable.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic