Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 15,210

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

GROUND-BREAKING INNOVATION! Nat 20, 10/10!

Sarcasm noted, but I'm trying to say that item slots are a restriction to us as players, but not at all for developers. If they run out of room, they can just, you know, make more room. It's a pretty simple fix. It's silly to suggest that characters in Smash were cut because there were only so many character slots or that items in Skyward Sword were cut because there were only so many item slots.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

-Juice-

I don't really see the whole "Link is you" thing. It all just seems like a lot of fluff and a big excuse NOT to give him character development in a story. If I were Link then I should be able to have brown hair, or a different outfit if I so choose, but I'm not Link. I'm PLAYING as Link. I don't feel like I'm Link, but then there's also the issue of not really being attached to Link's character (and you can't deny that they've done a lot to make him into his own character, considering he has his own voice and isn't completely silent, not to mention an official name) on an emotional level like you should be to the protagonist if you're playing as them. If Zelda games were an RPG and you could customize and create your own character, only then would YOU be the protagonist.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Blast

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

I don't really see the whole "Link is you" thing. It all just seems like a lot of fluff and a big excuse NOT to give him character development in a story. If I were Link then I should be able to have brown hair, or a different outfit if I so choose, but I'm not Link. I'm PLAYING as Link. I don't feel like I'm Link, but then there's also the issue of not really being attached to Link's character (and you can't deny that they've done a lot to make him into his own character, considering he has his own voice and isn't completely silent, not to mention an official name) on an emotional level like you should be to the protagonist if you're playing as them. If Zelda games were an RPG and you could customize and create your own character, only then would YOU be the protagonist.

I understand you. I would like to see a game where Link had more of his own personality and interacted more. But at the same time... I'm fine with playing just the way Link is now.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

-Juice-

@Blast I'm fine with how it is right now as well, but it just bothers me when people use that excuse. Link has pretty much became just as much of his own character as Mario has. They're iconic to their franchises, and it's just impossible to act like it's my story when it's so clearly not me doing these things. That's fine with me, because I want to watch someone else's story unfold, not my own.

CaviarMeths

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

That's fine with me, because I want to watch someone else's story unfold, not my own.

The Legend of Zelda has almost never been Link's story.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

-Juice-

CaviarMeths wrote:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

That's fine with me, because I want to watch someone else's story unfold, not my own.

The Legend of Zelda has almost never been Link's story.

It's always the story of the hero, and that hero is Link.

CaviarMeths

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

It's always the story of the hero, and that hero is Link.

Link's role in most Zelda stories is reactionary. He reacts to plot, story, and conflict that is centered on other people, or the land itself. The stories are really about the supporting characters.

Games like The Last of Us or Final Fantasy X are definitely about Joel and Tidus, but Twilight Princess was about Midna, Zant, Zelda, and Ganon.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

JLPick

I still think this game is not coming out until 2016...just have a feeling. That being said, of all of the sites on here and others that state that nintendo is working on a new console, the next mario adventure is not coming to wii u, I think that they'll show off their next console before christmas, release it the following year, and have the zelda game come out not only on wii u, but the next system (like they did with Twilight Princess), which will give their next system a step up with also a mario adventure (which would be a perfect step for their next console system). Again, that's my opinion, but I wonder. Granted I got rid of my Wii U, but still have the NEW 3DS and I'm a big nintendo fan...I'm just waiting for the next system, hoping it does good, has a lot of great games (Wii U has many, but needs a lot more to keep it more alive). I loved my gamecube, played it more than my ps2, but it had a lot of great games, even ones that were not just made by nintendo (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe). I really hope nintendo steps up their next console and delivers, and I really hope this next Zelda game is as fantastic as it sounds so far.

JLPick

Blast

JLPick wrote:

I still think this game is not coming out until 2016...just have a feeling. That being said, of all of the sites on here and others that state that nintendo is working on a new console, the next mario adventure is not coming to wii u, I think that they'll show off their next console before christmas, release it the following year, and have the zelda game come out not only on wii u, but the next system (like they did with Twilight Princess), which will give their next system a step up with also a mario adventure (which would be a perfect step for their next console system). Again, that's my opinion, but I wonder. Granted I got rid of my Wii U, but still have the NEW 3DS and I'm a big nintendo fan...I'm just waiting for the next system, hoping it does good, has a lot of great games (Wii U has many, but needs a lot more to keep it more alive). I loved my gamecube, played it more than my ps2, but it had a lot of great games, even ones that were not just made by nintendo (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe). I really hope nintendo steps up their next console and delivers, and I really hope this next Zelda game is as fantastic as it sounds so far.

So... You got rid of your Wii U so you hope it dies soon and Zelda U comes out on the next console? That's what it sounds like to me. Listen, Wii U is far from dead. Next console isn't coming for a long time. It takes time to make a new console.

Master of the Hype Train

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

GROUND-BREAKING INNOVATION! Nat 20, 10/10!

Sarcasm noted, but I'm trying to say that item slots are a restriction to us as players, but not at all for developers. If they run out of room, they can just, you know, make more room. It's a pretty simple fix. It's silly to suggest that characters in Smash were cut because there were only so many character slots or that items in Skyward Sword were cut because there were only so many item slots.

I know, my sarcasm was in agreement with that point.

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

I don't really see the whole "Link is you" thing. It all just seems like a lot of fluff and a big excuse NOT to give him character development in a story. If I were Link then I should be able to have brown hair, or a different outfit if I so choose, but I'm not Link. I'm PLAYING as Link.

Pretty much. Incarnations of Link should either be voice acted and get character development or be customizable to some extent; maybe both. The middle ground is just tradition for the sake of tradition and, likely, laxness.

It's like the low health beeping noise; almost no modern game does that but Mario and Zelda still feel the need to beep your ears off.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Pretty much. Incarnations of Link should either be voice acted and get character development or be customizable to some extent; maybe both. The middle ground is just tradition for the sake of tradition and, likely, laxness.

It's like the low health beeping noise; almost no modern game does that but Mario and Zelda still feel the need to beep your ears off.

Well I hadn't even noticed the low health thing but as for Link's character, personally I only care if the game is story and character focused. For the most part, Zelda hasn't been. If you look at something like Ocarina of Time and ask whether it would be better if Link had a personality, all other things held constant. As far as I can tell, the answer is that it wouldn't make much difference. The amount of serious character-based conversation in the game is incredibly small.
Another issue this would raise for them is whether they should then keep Link's personality constant in each game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Blast

Link's entire personality rests on his facial expressions during cutscenes. Lol

Master of the Hype Train

TeeJay

I think customizing Link is a bad idea, personally. If you were able to change his facial features, hair color, clothes etc, he wouldn't be Link anymore, he'd just be some guy.

And being the silent hero has always been part of his charm. A lot of the most likeable characters don't speak at all or are limited to grunts, screams, etc. I think it would be quite jarring if all of a sudden he could talk.

Think about that Tom and Jerry movie. Yeah...

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Spoony_Tech

Dipper723 wrote:

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/09/heres-the-most-wanted-ga...

So two remakes, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, are more wanted than Zelda for Wii U

I've been saying Zelda has been on a major decline for years over there but nobody believes me. I was however surprised by Majora's Mask sales over there. Didn't think it would get much over 250k.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Blast

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Dipper723 wrote:

So two remakes, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, are more wanted than Zelda for Wii U

Well it's Japan, Type-0 was and XC3D IS a handheld game. Handheld wins. And Japan isn't the main Zelda audience in the first place.

looks at XCX place on the list ..... Ugh...

Master of the Hype Train

FlaygletheBagel

JLPick wrote:

While it may be a shame you'll miss out on Zelda U if it doesn't come to the new console, I don't really blame you for selling the Wii U at this point in time. The first-party games are all excellent, but the vast majority haven't done much to innovate within their respective franchises. Smash is by far my favorite game franchise and IMO the Wii U version is the best Smash has ever been, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still Smash as Smash can be.

Splatoon is probably the most innovative and unique game they've got in the pipeline yet, but we haven't seen enough of any of Nintendo's other games (Zelda U included) to make any judgment calls.

Games I'm playing: Hotline Miami 2, Smash Wii U, GTA V, Dying Light, Resogun

Recently completed games: Hotline Miami, P.T., Shovel Knight

Games I want soon: Zelda U, The Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture

3DS Friend Code: 5429-7042-7857 | Nintendo Network ID: AmateurSalad8

Jacob717

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I've been saying Zelda has been on a major decline for years over there but nobody believes me. I was however surprised by Majora's Mask sales over there. Didn't think it would get much over 250k.

Why wouldn't anyone not believe you? The numbers clearly show that, in relation to the sales of the console it's on, Wind Waker was the last game to sell well in Japan.

EDIT: I forgot to put "not" before believe, sorry if the original comment didn't make any sense.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

Dezzy

Dipper723 wrote:

Yeah, nothing particularly shocking. You do need to adjust the list with respect to various biases to get a more accurate picture though. E.g release date, install base of console, amount of information known about game. (Zelda is still a way off, is on the least popular console in Japan (we might as well pretend the Xbox isn't even released in Japan) and we still know almost nothing about it).
Even after those adjustments, Japan hasn't been super interested in Zelda for quite a while. Go back and look at the sales for the last 3 console games. Wind waker HD, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess all sold awfully in Japan.
Maybe it has to do with the declining console market or maybe it's just that Zelda is very definitively european in its influences. Maybe when they set a Zelda in a highschool things will change?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic