Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 15,210

GrailUK

The fact Link is silent enables players to express their own imagination and persona onto the character. The moment you realise his persona, then you are opening a huge kettle of fish like Metroid Other M. Video game characters are not silent because they are Clint Eastwood man with no name types, but more so the player interpret a character themselves. In most role-play situations, you know what your reply would be. So naturally you respond with your own answer. You see this in a lot of 'lets play' videos where the narrator actually verbally responds in commentary. This makes you play with a character you see yourself in. The moment he starts talking, you take that away. Its the equivalent of making a film from a book. You lose that personalisation that makes something your own.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NinjaWaddleDee

I think it's time for the citizens of hyrule to talk. Not link necessarily, but I think npcs need voice acting, other than uttering stupid grunts and garbles. Think of games like skyrim, where your character doesn't talk, but npcs do.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Dezzy

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

I think it's time for the citizens of hyrule to talk. Not link necessarily, but I think npcs need voice acting, other than uttering stupid grunts and garbles. Think of games like skyrim, where your character doesn't talk, but npcs do.

How about a sort of compromise between the voice-acting fans and the silent (and more cost-friendly) fans? Solution: everyone in Hyrule talks like they do in the game Magicka. (for those of you who didn't play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR9pI9WsPkc)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

That Magicka language reminds me of Simlish. It's too silly and probably wouldn't fit the tone of the upcoming Zelda well at all. Though I could see it working on a more cartoon style Zelda

TuVictus

19Robb92

The "voices" in magica are just annoying.

Why can't they just speak hylian? They've made a whole alphabet of that "language" for the franchise, so it seems like the most logical choice (assuming they don't want an actual language).

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

luisesteban

The hylian option, would be the better.

luisesteban

jump

19Robb92 wrote:

Why can't they just speak hylian? They've made a whole alphabet of that "language" for the franchise, so it seems like the most logical choice (assuming they don't want an actual language).

Which brings another problem of which Hylian language to use as they've done three now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

arronishere wrote:

19Robb92 wrote:

Which brings another problem of which Hylian language to use as they've done three now.

Actually, at least five different versions exist; Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds all introduced different versions of the Hylian language. Six, if you count the random gibberish in A Link to the Past as well.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

NinjaWaddleDee

Or you know, they could just hire some voice actors to actually speak a real language. The voice acting was great in Kid Icarus Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening. We know Nintendo can do good voice acting. I don't understand why people don't want NPC's to actually speak. I already find their weird cries annoying, and having them spout unintelligible words would be even worse. Just my opinion. And why do you guys want them to speak Hylian? That's pretty much the same thing as speaking any other unintelligible language.

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Dezzy

19Robb92 wrote:

Haha we have very different senses of humour. Those Magicka guys clearly share some brain cells with me. I loved their Team America clone of Helldivers too.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Nicolai

I'm content just reading the text. It's like a storybook.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Benjelo

For whole voice acting thing, I think it would be cool if they did something similar to Midna where she talked in.... errrr.... I guess it might have been hylian. btw, Did anyone else see the image google put up for The Legend of Zelda Wii U? Google "The Legend of Zelda Wii U" and look at the box art they used. It's the concept art for a game called "The secret of Zelda" (No it doesn't actually exist). The secret of zelda is a game that someone made up and thought would be cool where you would play as Zelda during the 7 years that link is sealed away in OoT. Just curious if anyone else saw that mistake XD

Edited on by Benjelo

FC(3ds):2423-1966-6724
"I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause." Job 5:8

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1966-6724 | Nintendo Network ID: Benjelo

Grawbad

At the end of the day if they made a Zelda game that was fully voiced, Link and all, it would end up the same as every other Zelda. Fans split down the middle about it.
All they truly have to do is pick the right people to do the voiceovers. Pick the right people and you would never be able to change them without an uproar. Don't and more fans hate it than like it.

I think they really never gave him a voice as it was supposed to be you. You are supposed to be the Hero. Voicing him takes away the "you" in Link at least to an extent.

I for one, wouldn't mind seeing what they could do with a fully voice casted Zelda, I mean, all of us Zelda fans would play it regardless of the side of the fence we are on anyways.

Grawbad

Henmii

I think they should re-introduce the scribbling feature from Phantom hourglass/Spirit tracks. After all the Wii u Gamepad has a big touchscreen, so why not letting you scribbling down suspicious locations, heart-pieces, etc? Maybe they also should go back to 5 heart-pieces instead of 4. In Twilight princess you needed 5 to make one heart, giving you lots of things to do outside the dungeons.

Oh, and please no duplicate items! We really don't need a lantern if we get very shortly after that Din's fire or fire arrows. Same with a slingshot. We don't need it if we get arrows. Those item slots can be used for different, more interesting items. Speaking of items: Is that the only thing you guys want, the usual suspects, bow and arrows, bombs, hookshot etc? I for one would like some totally new items, or items only seen in the 2D titles like the cane of pacci or magnetic gloves. The "new" items in Albw weren't that new, and the only real new item in Skyward sword (as far as I can think) was the beetle. They re-introduced the moles mitts though. And there was a altered version of the gust-jar.

Henmii

Eel

I wonder how would the Switch Hook work in a 3D game

Probably awesomely.

In the topic of Midna and her voice acting, it's really cool because she (or more exactly, her VA) is actually talking plain old English.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Henmii wrote:

Maybe they also should go back to 5 heart-pieces instead of 4. In Twilight princess you needed 5 to make one heart, giving you lots of things to do outside the dungeons.

YARS, more collectables!

Henmii wrote:

Oh, and please no duplicate items! We really don't need a lantern if we get very shortly after that Din's fire or fire arrows. Same with a slingshot. We don't need it if we get arrows. Those item slots can be used for different, more interesting items. Speaking of items: Is that the only thing you guys want, the usual suspects, bow and arrows, bombs, hookshot etc? I for one would like some totally new items, or items only seen in the 2D titles like the cane of pacci or magnetic gloves. The "new" items in Albw weren't that new, and the only real new item in Skyward sword (as far as I can think) was the beetle. They re-introduced the moles mitts though. And there was a altered version of the gust-jar.

Just because Skyward Sword skimped on items doesn't mean there is any space constraint to items in Zelda. Twilight Princess had loads of items and the lantern, slingshot, and fishing rod didn't replace anything new, there were several new items. I'd love to see neat new items, I just really want to see some of the cool known quantities to make a return.

After all, the butchering of the ice arrow's usage in Majora's Mask 3D only serves to underline how underused the mechanic of freezing water into floating platforms has been used in the series. Think of how cool that mechanic could be with some sort of current physics in a water dungeon! I'm salivating just thinking of the puzzle design...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

Henmii wrote:

Those item slots can be used for different, more interesting items.

Is this the new "waste of a character slot" argument from Smash?

As if item slots are a limited thing and some items had to be scrapped so others could fit in.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Henmii wrote:

As if item slots are a limited thing and some items had to be scrapped so others could fit in.

The item wheel can hold 8 things MAX; it's a very serious problem.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Henmii wrote:

Solution: Make a 10 item wheel.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Henmii wrote:

Solution: Make a 10 item wheel.

GROUND-BREAKING INNOVATION! Nat 20, 10/10!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic