Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 15,210

Justlink

Anyone else thinking this could be Zelda 3, takes place after Zelda 2. The way they described the game, nonlinear, makes it sound like items aren't needed for dungeons, they just make them easier. Zelda 1 did that

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

LzWinky

I don't really recall anyone saying anything about items

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Justlink

They never mentioned items, but I was thinking they were going back to traditional Zelda like the original, so I thought that'd be a possible way for a nonlinear approach

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to the co-op system used in Journey. You meet with a generic-looking character, played by another person online. You have no idea what the person's name is, what they look like, what sort of person they are, etc. You have no way of communicating with them at all and yet you have to form a sort of understanding with each other to solve some puzzles and work together towards a common goal.

Only for overworld though. That wouldn't belong in a dungeon at all. And optional, of course. All puzzles should be able to be solved alone and all users should have the option to turn online functionality off entirely.

Then let me ask you this: why bother then?

I expect because people want to mess about with friends in any open world game; see Skyrim. I don't really care primarily because I want to play big story games like Zelda alone and secondly because I have no friends. I don't see the harm in adding it, though it won't happen, if it doesn't change the single player. But yeah, I've no idea how multiplayer even could work in dungeons, at best it would just be cooperating to solve single player puzzles. I definitely wouldn't want any dungeons that require multiple players, that could be really rough, especially without live voice chat built in.

That being said, online & couch coop would be a huge thing to reveal at E3 if Nintendo wants to move Wii U's, that and there's been vocal demand for the option to play a female protagonist... dammit, now I want them to do it just for the https://emmalwicker.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/ohshit.gif factor.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

One game is "traditional"?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Justlink

TingLz wrote:

One game is "traditional"?

Y torment me. Of course I'm correct in wat i'm saying even though you can tell i have no idea wat i'm saying. I hate my idea though, sorta. I just wonder how items are goung to be implemented and still make the game feel nonlinear. I like the idea of a shop in ALBW, but I wonder what they'll do for this game.

CaviarMeths

TingLz wrote:

Then let me ask you this: why bother then?

Because some people might find it fun? Sorry, I find this an odd question. Why bother with any optional content?

Final Fantasy XIII is pretty much the answer to "why bother," stripping down Final Fantasy to basic mechanics and systems and putting it in a series of hallways.

Haru17 wrote:

I expect because people want to mess about with friends in any open world game

The system as I suggested was completely anonymous, so you wouldn't be messing about with friends. Or you might be, but you wouldn't know it.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

justlink wrote:

Anyone else thinking this could be Zelda 3, takes place after Zelda 2. The way they described the game, nonlinear, makes it sound like items aren't needed for dungeons, they just make them easier. Zelda 1 did that

I'm pretty sure items will be necessary to some degree in dungeons. That's kind of a fundamental part of Zelda, the ability to interact with the environment with gradually obtained tools to solve problems.

If you remember, Zelda 1's dungeons weren't too big on puzzles either. They were almost entirely combat oriented. That's not gonna fly in this day and age.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Eel

Yup, I think the one item required to navigate some dungeons in the original was the ladder. Maybe the candle to a lesser extend too. (And the bombs).

There was no way to make fancy puzzles and obstacles that would require fancy items.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

CaviarMeths wrote:

Final Fantasy XIII is pretty much the answer to "why bother," stripping down Final Fantasy to basic mechanics and systems and putting it in a series of hallways.

Let me throw a curveball that will confuse anyone that knows my opinion: If Final Fantasy XIII was the same except with good story and an actually good battle system, I probably would've liked it. Not as much as many other Final Fantasy games, but that's nearly all I need in a JRPG. Story does include many things though.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

justlink wrote:

I'm pretty sure items will be necessary to some degree in dungeons. That's kind of a fundamental part of Zelda, the ability to interact with the environment with gradually obtained tools to solve problems.

If you remember, Zelda 1's dungeons weren't too big on puzzles either. They were almost entirely combat oriented. That's not gonna fly in this day and age.

/agree I love the first four 3D Zeldas, but couldn't care less about Zelda 1 outside of what it spawned.

And I don't see the point of Journey or Dark Souls-style coop without the option of inviting friends or, especially, couch coop. It'd just annoy me.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

iKhan wrote:

I wouldn't mind something like that, as long as they made combat more interesting, and kept enemies from respawning until after you left the dungeon, and added a few surprises too (remember your first time meeting a wizzrobe?), and preferably make the death animation kinda short.

In fact, since this is going to be such a huge game, you could have various kinds of [main quest] dungeons: some more combat oriented, some more puzzle-oriented, and maybe some with a few unexpected gimmicks. I feel like, even as a veteran player, I should not know what awaits me before I enter a dungeon. I shouldn't be able to guess what's about to come next.

That might be just me, though.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

iKhan

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I wouldn't mind something like that, as long as they made combat more interesting, and kept enemies from respawning until after you left the dungeon, and added a few surprises too (remember your first time meeting a wizzrobe?), and preferably make the death animation kinda short.

In fact, since this is going to be such a huge game, you could have various kinds of [main quest] dungeons: some more combat oriented, some more puzzle-oriented, and maybe some with a few unexpected gimmicks. I feel like, even as a veteran player, I should not know what awaits me before I enter a dungeon. I shouldn't be able to guess what's about to come next.

The problem is that combat in Zelda has never been interesting enough on it's own. It got better with the 2D games, but enemies got easier, so we still don't really have great combat.

Also, if you ask me, dungeons that are just mazes with enemies can become incredibly frustrating. If the maze is challenging enough, you can get lost, and when you keep running into enemies, it can start to wear on you.

Last, I feel like that would make Zelda more like an RPG than an adventure game. Part of the distinction between adventure games and RPGs is that the former is about interacting with the environment with tools you acquire over time, while the latter gives you most of the tools you need at the beginning of the game, and they just get stronger over time (which builds on the core aesthetic of growth). If this Zelda had combat oriented dungeons, that would mean less interaction with the world, and more focus on just core strength.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Jacob717

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Wind Waker had a secret dungeon on Outset Island which was very combat oriented, so if this game had secret dungeons that relied on combat for those who want it, that could work, but I prefer if the main dungeons were puzzle based.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

Spoony_Tech

iKhan wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

The problem is that combat in Zelda has never been interesting enough on it's own. It got better with the 2D games, but enemies got easier, so we still don't really have great combat.

Also, if you ask me, dungeons that are just mazes with enemies can become incredibly frustrating. If the maze is challenging enough, you can get lost, and when you keep running into enemies, it can start to wear on you.

Last, I feel like that would make Zelda more like an RPG than an adventure game. Part of the distinction between adventure games and RPGs is that the former is about interacting with the environment with tools you acquire over time, while the latter gives you most of the tools you need at the beginning of the game, and they just get stronger over time (which builds on the core aesthetic of growth). If this Zelda had combat oriented dungeons, that would mean less interaction with the world, and more focus on just core strength.

We got great combat in Skyward Sword and Everyone complained about that. Now what we will get is something more dumbed down because of that. I like the fact Nintendo tries something new but every time they do they get flack for it. It's always a lose lose for them.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Jacob717

Spoony_Tech wrote:

We got great combat in Skyward Sword and Everyone complained about that. Now what we will get is something more dumbed down because of that. I like the fact Nintendo tries something new but every time they do they get flack for it. It's always a lose lose for them.

The combat was terrible. You have to attack the enemies in the direction where they weren't blocking and if you move your sword to another direction, they block accordingly and the Wii Remote isn't sensitive enough to sensitive enough to quickly change your direction and swipe, you have to wait half a second for Link's model to register that you moved in another direction before you attack, which was really annoying. So I like many people just attack randomly against how the game designers intended you to play like, and hope you eventually hit them where they weren't blocking.

The response time of Link's sword should have been better or the response time of the enemies to block should be slower to make it less frustrating.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

Gerald

I hope Ninty adds multiple control options. I actually prefer Skyword Sword controls, but due to lack of time, I also like off TV play.

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

iKhan

Spoony_Tech wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I wouldn't call SS's combat "great". It had great ideas, sure, but that's the case with every Zelda game. But also like most Zelda games, it wasn't executed in the most exciting ways. Most enemies were easy, and there were roundabout ways where you didn't even have to worry much about directional swinging. I'd say the biggest issue Zelda runs into is that it's enemies aren't aggressive enough. Pandora's Tower doesn't have a very complex system, but the combat was infinitely more fun than any Zelda game, because the enemies were hard. It forced you to explore every bit of depth the system had, and tune your timing skills.

Ootfan98 wrote:

I hope Ninty adds multiple control options. I actually prefer Skyword Sword controls, but due to lack of time, I also like off TV play.

I think it's probable that we'll get a TP style motion control option. Link is right handed, and that really hasn't happened without a good reason for it. Additionally, the fact that Hyrule Warriors added an option is a weak indication that there is some understanding somewhere that a substantial part of the Zelda fanbase appreciates motion controls.

Edited on by iKhan

Nicolai

iKhan wrote:

I personally would mind that. Getting lost amongst a horde of enemies is exactly the kind of intimidation I'd exoect from a dungeon.

iKhan wrote:

But that wouldn't be that bad, if the game was balanced so that there wasn't such an element of growth. Items can help you with puzzles, but when it comes to combat, it should be you, your enemies, and your sword, and maybe how many heart containers you've found. I think this game balance would work as well as it did in Zelda 1, especially if it was mixed in with the variety of dungeons like I said before.

It's possible that combat-based dungeons wouldn't take as long to design, so that would mean that they could create more dungeons for this game.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

iKhan

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I personally would mind that. Getting lost amongst a horde of enemies is exactly the kind of intimidation I'd exoect from a dungeon.

iKhan wrote:

But that wouldn't be that bad, if the game was balanced so that there wasn't such an element of growth. Items can help you with puzzles, but when it comes to combat, it should be you, your enemies, and your sword, and maybe how many heart containers you've found. I think this game balance would work as well as it did in Zelda 1, especially if it was mixed in with the variety of dungeons like I said before.

It's possible that combat-based dungeons wouldn't take as long to design, so that would mean that they could create more dungeons for this game.

Getting lost to a degree is definitely fun. But it can get frustrating after a while. Tales of Innocence has dungeons like this, and let me tell you, I've straight up stopped playing in spite of the great characters and combat mainly because of this. For me, the best dungeons are those that blend puzzles, combat, and maze elements with a immersive atmosphere. It keeps the gameplay diverse.

As for a focus on core strength, I just don't want Zelda to be an RPG. I'd LOVE an RPG spinoff, but I want the main series to keep being about environmental interaction.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic