Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 15,210

Haru17

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I was just thinking maybe a volcano goes off ravaging the land and leaving it's Mark after you put a certain set of sequences in motion. This can be done near the beginning or towards the middle. What it does though can cause you more problems if done to early and you need to find things in the area affected. Maybe now the treasure you need is buried underneath layers of rock and if you got it before it would've been an easy open and find. If you don't have the item to get through the rock then you need to find it. Of course this could work with you triggering making water rise somewhere and now you're unable to swim to a cave or something. Just some thoughts.

I would really prefer reactive changes in the world like this to randomly generated or changing dungeons. Dungeons are always so well designed, asking for them to be adaptive is like trading in more, better dungeons to play through one of several, inevitably lesser, routes.

For me Zelda games have always been about permanence; permanent story progress, item unlocks, and precise level design. Even in Majora's Mask with all the resetting there were a set number of states that could either be achieved or not, and you still kept your major item unlocks.

I don't like the idea of randomly generated dungeons because the aesthetics and layout of the dungeons would always be generic or not utilized to its fullest. That and I don't want dungeons to adapt to your actions because creating those 2+ alternate dungeons would take twice the effort or so, resulting in less dungeons and less puzzles in the open world (the thing we want full of stuff to do, remember?).

Besides, there's already enough cards in the air with nonlinear dungeon order going on.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I was just thinking maybe a volcano goes off ravaging the land and leaving it's Mark after you put a certain set of sequences in motion. This can be done near the beginning or towards the middle. What it does though can cause you more problems if done to early and you need to find things in the area affected. Maybe now the treasure you need is buried underneath layers of rock and if you got it before it would've been an easy open and find. If you don't have the item to get through the rock then you need to find it. Of course this could work with you triggering making water rise somewhere and now you're unable to swim to a cave or something. Just some thoughts.

I would really prefer reactive changes in the world like this to randomly generated or changing dungeons. Dungeons are always so well designed, asking for them to be adaptive is like trading in more, better dungeons to play through one of several, inevitably lesser, routes.

For me Zelda games have always been about permanence; permanent story progress, item unlocks, and precise level design. Even in Majora's Mask with all the resetting there were a set number of states that could either be achieved or not, and you still kept your major item unlocks.

I don't like the idea of randomly generated dungeons because the aesthetics and layout of the dungeons would always be generic or not utilized to its fullest. That and I don't want dungeons to adapt to your actions because creating those 2+ alternate dungeons would take twice the effort or so, resulting in less dungeons and less puzzles in the open world (the thing we want full of stuff to do, remember?).

Besides, there's already enough cards in the air with nonlinear dungeon order going on.

While I don't want randomly generated dungeons, I do want to see them swap out enemies as you progress. If you enter a dungeon first, you could find Bokoblins, but if you enter last, you'd find Darknuts. Puzzle difficulty has never really had much progression anyway, so adjusting it wouldn't make sense.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

While I don't want randomly generated dungeons, I do want to see them swap out enemies as you progress. If you enter a dungeon first, you could find Bokoblins, but if you enter last, you'd find Darknuts. Puzzle difficulty has never really had much progression anyway, so adjusting it wouldn't make sense.

I think swapping out enemies could work if done right. The crux of the concept is not to replace fire bubbles with ice bubbles in the volcano dungeon just because the ice bubbles are higher leveled, etc.

CM30

You know, the random caves and grottos could be randomly generated. I mean, they're always minor and lacking in major gimmicks (outside of the Pit of 100 Trials/Cave of Ordeals stuff), so you could have them change every time you play, and their locations randomly decided as well.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Haru17

CM30 wrote:

You know, the random caves and grottos could be randomly generated. I mean, they're always minor and lacking in major gimmicks (outside of the Pit of 100 Trials/Cave of Ordeals stuff), so you could have them change every time you play, and their locations randomly decided as well.

Q1: Has Nintendo ever randomly generated a 3D environment
Q2: Do randomly generated environments usually turn out well? Are they worse than handcrafted environments.

I'm all for keeping random generation miles away from Zelda, especially for the world. Seriously, randomly generated environments are always more forgettable than handcrafted ones, even for caves. Plus you know you'd end up with that one glitchy cave atop a tree or some such.

Blast

The swordplay needs improvement. I wanna feel epic for swinging a sword. I would like if Aonuma sorta copied the epic animations from Final Fantasy XV when Noctis swings his sword. Link should be doing super cool grandeur moves. Twilight Princess sorta has that.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

Blast wrote:

The swordplay needs improvement. I wanna feel epic for swinging a sword. I would like if Aonuma sorta copied the epic animations from Final Fantasy XV when Noctis swings his sword. Link should be doing super cool grandeur moves. Twilight Princess sorta has that.

Lol, have you played FF XV? I would be great with just Twilight Princess with some more hidden skills, but I think they'll do more than that. I imagine there'll be something flashy for the sword, perhaps like horse launching into a charged jump attack?

CaviarMeths

Swordplay doesn't need to be flashy and cool. It needs to be intuitive, responsive, and fluid. Finishing moves disrupt combat flow and if the context button gets too elaborate, you're crossing over into QTE territory, which belong nowhere in Zelda.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Swordplay doesn't need to be flashy and cool. It needs to be intuitive, responsive, and fluid. Finishing moves disrupt combat flow and if the context button gets too elaborate, you're crossing over into QTE territory, which belong nowhere in Zelda.

Twilight Princess GCN was both stylish and responsive, so I don't see why you're objecting. Nintendo can do great sword combat when the wiimote isn't involved. That and the controller has plenty of buttons to map different attacks to.

Edited on by Haru17

JoyBoy

TBH I would like it as simple as possible. The focus seems to be on the bow anyway, which already has a spectacular move.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

ClockworkMario

Now that the discussion has turned to flashiness, they need to bring this back: (skip to 1:00 mark).

Edited on by ClockworkMario

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Twilight Princess GCN was both stylish and responsive, so I don't see why you're objecting. Nintendo can do great sword combat when the wiimote isn't involved. That and the controller has plenty of buttons to map different attacks to.

Twilight Princess was Ocarina of Time with a bunch of flashy moves that you were neither encouraged to or ever needed to use. It was tacked on. Wind Waker still has the most polished and refined combat in the series, with no excess fat. I'm hoping that's the main influence for swordplay in Zelda U.

And I hope Aonuma understands his own work well enough to know that mapping several different sword attacks to several different buttons is a poor design choice for this kind of game.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Lol, have you played FF XV? I would be great with just Twilight Princess with some more hidden skills, but I think they'll do more than that. I imagine there'll be something flashy for the sword, perhaps like horse launching into a charged jump attack?

Lol I haven't played FF XV but the latest trailer impressed me so much. I was watching the epic way Noctis swung his sword. It was flashy, cool, and made me feel awesome for just looking at it. I want Link to be more like that. I want him to be agile and smooth while swinging his blade. Twilight Princess was dancing around that. Wind Waker didn't do it. And if the focus is really on the bow then I want the bow animations and movement to be much better in Zelda U.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

Spanjard wrote:

TBH I would like it as simple as possible. The focus seems to be on the bow anyway, which already has a spectacular move.

It's just a slow down time mechanic ... It looks cool but I hope that's not the only thing the bow can brag about.

Master of the Hype Train

JoyBoy

Yeah whatever... If you want spectacular moves, go play Hyrule Warriors.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Blast

Spanjard wrote:

Yeah whatever... If you want spectacular moves, go play Hyrule Warriors.

Hahaha oooh thanks.

Master of the Hype Train

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Twilight Princess was Ocarina of Time with a bunch of flashy moves that you were neither encouraged to or ever needed to use. It was tacked on. Wind Waker still has the most polished and refined combat in the series, with no excess fat. I'm hoping that's the main influence for swordplay in Zelda U.

And I hope Aonuma understands his own work well enough to know that mapping several different sword attacks to several different buttons is a poor design choice for this kind of game.

Lol, what? Twilight Princess is bad for having combat variety? You realized they just made the contextual counter attack from the Wind Waker into the helm splitter and back slice which you could use at will. Enemies like the dynalfos and darknut really challenged you to use your different hidden skills.

Don't get me wrong, the Wind Waker is great, but it's just Ocarina of Time with the counter button added. It's simply too simple a combat system nowadays. I hope Zelda U has enough combat variety to keep me interested in fighting.

On this game being focused on the bow, it may be a focus for the trailers, as it's a new feature, but horseback and on foot sword combat is always mapped to a face button. The sword attack is always there and is always essential for melee combat and sword duels. 3D Zelda games have always used both the sword and bow and they need both components to be fun.

Blast

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Lol, what? Twilight Princess is bad for having combat variety? You realized they just made the contextual counter attack from the Wind Waker into the helm splitter and back slice which you could use at will. Enemies like the dynalfos and darknut really challenged you to use your different hidden skills.

Don't get me wrong, the Wind Waker is great, but it's just Ocarina of Time with the counter button added. It's simply too simple a combat system nowadays. I hope Zelda U has enough combat variety to keep me interested in fighting.

On this game being focused on the bow, it may be a focus for the trailers, as it's a new feature, but horseback and on foot sword combat is always mapped to a face button. The sword attack is always there and is always essential for melee combat and sword duels. 3D Zelda games have always used both the sword and bow and they need both components to be fun.

@Haru17 Thank you Wind Waker Is a great game but the swordplay was so simple. It worked fine but I want more in depth.

Master of the Hype Train

CanisWolfred

To be fair, Twilight Princess is the most complex I want Zelda's swordplay to ever get. Zelda's always been about using a variety of items alongside the basic swordplay.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

It's simply too simple a combat system nowadays.

No, it really isn't. There's nothing at all outdated about Wind Waker's combat design. That's why they can re-release it as a Wii U game and still get dozens of perfect scores across all sizes of publications. The reason why Nintendo games are so timeless and well-regarded is because they go for simplicity in mechanics and complexity in level design. You can learn how to play Super Mario Bros. in 30 seconds, but it's a fairly difficult game to beat because it's all about mastering those few simple mechanics across a fantastic variety of levels and enemies. Zelda works the same way, though modern games from both series have been much easier than the NES/SNES days.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic