Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 10,481 to 10,500 of 15,201

Octane

@Tsurii Is it nighttime? If so, then it's just as dead as a Stal Bokoblin.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Tsurii huh. Okay. Weird.

No idea. Scenery I suppose. No different from loads of dead Guardians lying around.

I really am far behind XD

Untitled

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm barely anywhere near where you all are and this may actually dethrone LttP as my favorite Zelda. At this point I'm just reacting to the environment. How the people react when the weather changes, how the enemies are actually dangerous for once. Usually in zelda games the jump attack is a source of fear to baddies...they either avoid it or get hit by it. Now? I literately watched a bokoblin step back and skewer me as I came down. And he starts laughing as I crumple. Also I was climbing a mountain and next thing I know a guardian is climbing after me... I have never had this sense of on the edge of your seat excitement with a Zelda game. They have always been like reading a book...enthralling but comfortable. I'm having moments where I'm trying to look for something or gather materials and then all of a sudden I'm getting attacked on all sides. I'm having to run AWAY from battles or risk being killed.

The best part is the world is stuffed with things to pick up/do. Because you have to craft and rupees are rare, you are looking at every nook and cranny for materials or secret items. Unlike most other open world games where they are either barren or the materials are almost an afterthought because you get items elsewhere (skyrim/far cry/fallout...why mine/hunt/gather when I can just raid a re-spawning dungeon or my health regenerates?) This is the first open world game where I don't WANT to use fast travel (although I am grateful for it because I'm just discovering shrines and I'll go back to them this weekend when I can actually play for more than half an hour); i just want to walk around and talk to the travelers and hunt and fish and find koroks.

Seriously the Zelda team just dropped the mic.

EDIT: Also ...F the goats/rams/whatever. Had one knock me off a mountain from behind. Look, Lambchop I wasn't even after you! Must be karma for all the bears I FUS ROH DAH'ed off of mountains.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Arcamenel

I'm in the same boat as @Ryu_Niiyama. I've had the game since day 1 but I haven't progressed the story much at all because whenever I start doing something towards it I get distracted by finding a new shrine or discovering a new area that turns into an hours long exploration.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

Octane

@Tsurii They only appear during the night. I've seen one of them, but somewhere else.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Tsurii Okay so it isn't just scenery. That's...well thatll be fun.

Just entered a shine Ne'ez Yohma and I cant shake the feeling I'm playing Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Wheres my Shrine of the Silver Monkey dammit.

penny2coles

@gcunit Opening the log helped a lot..thank you!!

@Octane Got it, yes I thought I had arrows but evidently I was out.

I appreciate both of your responses!

penny2coles

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Haha you opened it! Suspense was getting to you huh? ALBW already dethroned ALttP for me...same overall game, but modernized without the annoying outdated design issues. But yeah, this game is something special for the ages.... I haven't even done any shrines outside the mandatory intro ones....I keep activating them, then wandering off into the wilderness. It reminds me so much of playing the original, I rarely went into the dungeons, just explored the overworld, found the dungeons, then went back to the overworld for most of my play time! First time for that experience since those days!

You make a good point about fast travel. I've been playing daily a few hours since Friday, and have used fast travel maybe 3 times, after I knowingly went off in a direction I knew I'd have no realistic way to get back up and intended to fast travel, or to get a quick view from a tower. I, too, rarely want to fast travel when walking manually is both more scenic, fun, AND can lead me to discover new items/places.

Battles, I'm still pretty much at the point of running away or sneaking past almost everything. Red and blue bokoblins and red moblins (I miss them being pig-like) I can handle. Almost everything else destroys me in seconds.

@Arcamenel I was just trying to access a few more towers trying to reveal more map yesterday, got to one area and saw....a thing....in the air....and thought "what the HECK is that? No way I'm going there!" Then proceeded to wander that way anyway. Couldn't find any shrine to unlock despite the beeping. And it's ALWAYS raining...so I couldn't climb to get a good view. I'll have to go back another day. Then I got to the tower over there.....figured I'd unlock that, only to discover there's no way I have the stamina to climb it without enough handholds.....and an enemy was circling around it blasting me every time I even tried. And I could barely dent him. So I explored onward...

There's this realism in exploration that makes me feel like that world is really the world I'm in. Genuine exploration in a game like this is just unheard of. I have no mission objectives short of some vague save the world quests that I presume are end-game. Nothing to do but explore. It's as groundbreaking in 2017 as the original was in '87

NEStalgia

gcunit

@NEStalgia Nice post.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

Just made my first visit to Gerudo Town.

Is it just me or is the humour and innuendo on a whole other level in this game? I'm loving it.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

@gcunit You went south then I take it? Ive just wandered and...well...now Link is a Salmon.

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Yeah my brother wanted an unboxing video so I used that as an excuse. It's Zelda...I'm practically a priestess of the golden goddesses (sorry Hylia but while you are super awesome as you reincarnate as the world's most badarse princess you didn't make the world) at this point. I've been playing so much, that I've talked myself out of getting an 8 ball as my next ocular prosthetic and I'll get either the Wingcrest or the Triforce instead. Seriously, why did I even buy bomberman? I've played two levels...popped in Zelda and then left it in the Switch ever since. The thing that gets me is this feels like a breathing, living world. I've always loved the zelda mythos and I've been slightly obsessed with the Sheikah since seeing Impa in OoT so imagine my delight when I walked into Kakariko. Even Link is less of a cardboard cut out for once. He blushes, he waves, he stubs his toe and while he has had reactions before such as in WW I don't think I related as well because it was really over the top and he was a child. Plus, the amnesiac plot point means you don't expect him to have a personality but you are surprised when he does. I'm like one percent in and I cant shut up about this game.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

FGPackers

Wow i can't read anything here. I'm really a lot behind you guys. I'm just finishing West Necluda, the first zone after the Plateau. Need to start the second soon

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Maxz

I'm also in the club of people that feels using fast travel is somehow weirdly sacreligious. Each area feels so unique and special and well considered that just warping from one point to another feels like it'd rip the continuity that holds the whole world together. It's like, until I get my mental map of this world together, I don't want to confuse it by suddenly appearing in different points. And the world is so so full of secrets that there's nearly always an exciting new way to get from A to B, even if you've made the trip many times before.

Before release, I wondered what a game really had to do to get a 98% rating. I've still got an awful lot to discover, but the answer seems to be somewhere along the lines of "shove ten 96% games into a single cartridge and tie them together masterfully".

Having felt that all the "big moments" in video games had pretty much already happened, it's a wonderful feeling to be caught up in the middle of this one.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Octane

Got no time for walking, warping around is all I do.

Octane

FGPackers

I prefer to walk too to try discover the most out of it. But i'm starting to fear that i will not discover that much unfortunately. I fear i'll miss really a lot in this game...

FGPackers

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama LOL, the Wingcrest would probably look better than a Triforce which would look oddly cyborg. But for canonical accuracy, doesn't it really need to be the Mark of Naga?

Poor bomberman. I've been making sure to get some time in on it....it's fun, it's crazy, I can't beat the world 2 boss for the life of me. But next to Zelda it gets last priority all the way. I want to play with more things on the Switch just because, but this world...it just calls to me. It really is a living breathing world....what parts remind me of is the one thing that struck me and made my love Oblivion. There was this one trail from the Imperial City to...forget the name but the "This is Totally Not Rohan, we Swears it on the Precious"city. It was through the forest and meadows and there were a lot of places to just ride the horse through, stop, pick some ingredients....it was so immersive and lifelike. It was only a small section of the game though, but it's the part I remember to this day. In BoTW, the ENTIRE GAME is that trail. And I never want to leave it.

@Maxz And there's too many very important things you might miss by teleporting! So many times I stumble into a spot that has a korok hiding with a seed that I would totally miss if I were fast traveling from "discovered point to discovered point." So much of the game happens in the non-destination points.

"shove ten 96% games into a single cartridge and tie them together masterfully".
The Switch is a beautiful thing when that line can be read literally instead of as retro-ironic hyperbole

You're so right though, just when gaming became routine and every game was entered with an expectation of "I wonder how it will blend existing tropes in a new way and improve the formula", I didn't think it was possible for a game to come and totally shatter the formulas to the point that even dedicated gamers feel like we're learning how to play for the first time. That it's Zelda doing so once again, is poetic.

NEStalgia

FGPackers

@Octane i'm at the pinwheel...nothing happens. Am i missing something? The Korok seems to be inside the tree. How can i get him?

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Eel

So, I'll just tell the story of my first day playing the game. I'd like to believe it's spoiler free.

After my adventure playing Magnesis peekaboo with the guardians for the bomb runes, I spent what felt like hours trying to hunt a boar to make the old man his favorite dish.

After I gave up I noticed I could've simply used bird meat as steak 😓 but on the bright side I fought a Talus and got minerals out of it.

Anyway after I got the warm shirt from him I headed to the Stasis trial. Some energizing mushrooms skewers were used to climb the mountain to get there. I may or not have died on my first try.

Immediately after that I headed for the last trial, when I saw a shooting star crash in the distance. I marked it with the slate and headed there immediately after I got the paraglider.

It was already too late. It fell down near the lake with the big bridge near Faron. Since I was already there I headed to the tower and after running away from various Lizalfos, activated it.

From there I saw a trial on the distance and headed for it. Various koroks later I found a ranch, and horses. There I got Mona, a calm and well rounded horse.

Then I got completely sidetracked playing around with Mona and ended up going back to the area below the plateau (Mona followed the path there!).

There I saw my first Blood Moon and yes it was a bit unnerving.

After that I headed for the twin peaks and found found lots of minerals, various trials and another horse ranch.

In the field behind the ranch, I found tons of dead guardians... And a blue horse. I spent another eternity trying to tame it, and then one of the guardians woke up.

After a gracious retreat I made some stamina foods and went to have my revenge on the horse. He is faster than Mona, but slightly weaker.

Then right there I found some kind of old fortified forest with a few npcs in there and more guardians "attacking" the wall.

One of them woke up, I hid behind another one and noticed it looked at me but couldn't aim at me, so I slowly killed it with arrows. And that's my first guardian.

Then I followed the road through the forest and after another bunch of koroks we ended up in the town of Hatelia.

My session ended at 3 am, after I was told to go visit Impa in Kakariko first.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@FGPackers I haven't checked the location. I shall do it right away, so I'll tell you in a couple of minutes!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic