Forums

Topic: The Koopalings promote misogyny?

Posts 161 to 167 of 167

unrandomsam

Newspapers are getting worse it used to be much easier to just ignore the comment part. The news can be reported in a more objective manner and it used to be. The Guardian has particularly gone down hill. (It always had a certain bias but it didn't used to corrupt the facts to the extent it does now).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Dezzy

CM30 wrote:

Either way, I worry for the future of the gaming community, now that these individuals have corrupted it.

I don't even think there's such thing as "the gaming community" to be corrupted. Certain sections of games journalism has been "corrupted" in a sense. But that wasn't because of any recent events or individuals. That had already happened and is much more down a kind of imbalance between journalists and consumers (an imbalance that exists in other industries too). Namely "journalists" are far more likely to take the serious political and moral stuff seriously because everyone wants to think they're doing a job that's genuinely important. Whereas if you look at the actual consumer buying habits, just like in film and literature, the serious political stuff is a tiny commercial niche. It's the big silly escapism (GTA) that most people want. Which is largely amoral and apolitical.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Obviously a single example doesn't set a trend, but the thing is, if you'd read my post, I wasn't claiming that, or even making any sort of explicit point. And since statistics on subjective portrayals of women either don't exist or aren't readily available, we're left with examining works on a case-by-case basis.

And I'm gonna call BS on your claim that works directed at a particular gender have to pander and portray the genders unequally. I want games, movies; all media I consume to focus on crafting good characters whose actions and arcs make sense based on who they are as people, not determinative gender role nonsense. That I don't want male to be the default gender for protagonists. I want whatever character is most pivotal in the narrative to be the main protagonist. Media that panders to gender role tropes is just beneath everyone nowadays.

So lets go with an example. If you create a piece of fiction where, like in reality, men are physically stronger than women but you also create a world where, for example, swordfighting soldiers are 50:50 men and women just because you want everything to be "equal". Well that's great but it's bad fiction because it's incredibly implausible. Any world in which men are physically stronger is incredibly likely to have melee combat armies made mostly of men. I don't see why that's at all problematic. This idea that equality can only be achieved through sameness strikes me as incredibly silly and borderline marxist in it's potential for disaster. (Though I do understand and sympathise with where it's coming from. Treating people equally if you admit they start out differently is a hard thing to do.)

Oh no, god forbid Marxism bring us horrors like better working conditions, equality of opportunity, and worker's rights. Real scary buzz word, there.

And in a world with magic or, for instance, sentient turtles, female soldiers is the very least unrealistic thing. You're just scrounging around for random defenses for unequal representation in video games. The problem isn't that there isn't 100% equality in realistic video game worlds; Halo's occasional female marine is a pretty reasonable depiction. It's that in many cases there is a lack of female representation or that women are represented in a worse way just 'cause.

As a man, it's just so boooring to see 10 generic 20-40-year-old generic gruff male protagonists for every woman. There shouldn't be a 'generic' protagonist, it makes so many games so dull.

CM30 wrote:

Or in a nutshell: Newspapers and the media make you think the world's getting worse/crime is increasing/etc.

The facts suggest the opposite.

No, you're just misinterpreting them. Technology and globalism has made the world smaller and more transparent; allowing for better reporting of the ills that have long been there. Things are, very gradually, improving on a global level (aside from the environment, which is rapidly being degraded). So the illusion of 'things these days' going to hell is one brought on by a lack of understanding of how the media works.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

yyyy89786

MorphMarron wrote:

What's this thread about now

I'm not sure.
I think it miiiiight should be locked soon though.

yyyy89786

Drobotic

As soon as I saw "feministfrequency",I close the tab.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

LzWinky

MorphMarron wrote:

What's this thread about now

While harmless at first, I see no point in letting this thread go into a fierce debate that may lead to trouble. We are done here folks

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.