Forums

Topic: The Koopalings promote misogyny?

Posts 121 to 140 of 167

faint

Aviator wrote:

Joshua179 wrote:

At the end of the day it's nothing

Well, no, it's not nothing. And the fact that you're trying to sweep this whole matter under the rug like it's of no importance is one of the reasons why it is a big deal. You're part of the problem.

the koopalings are from a diffrent era. My issue with these lets attack mario antics is they are for hits alone.... Nothing more. If you want to go after the game industry hit up dead or alive with their jiggle physics. You won't get as many hits but at least it's something that diserves your time and venom.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

SomeBitTripFan

I just have to ask about the title. It just seems purposefully inflammatory/click-baity and hardly ties to the actual discussion. My biggest issue with the video was that she provided no solution to this issue. How are developers design characters in games with little to no story while representing both genders, since I'm sure the issue would otherwise turn into a "Why is there no female representation" complaint?

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Eel

I'm almost 100% sure this threads title reflects a real concern of the OP.

The gender representation discussion just came out of it rather naturally.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

nacho_chicken

"The Koopalings promote misogyny?"
According to Betteridge's Law of Headlines, no.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Haru17

Let's be clear here, sexism is 'discrimination on the basis of sex,' misogyny is a 'hate or dislike of women,' and gender roles, what the koopalings represent, are the 'roles society expects members of each gender to take'.

So if you're strictly hetersextual, homosexual, etc and go out looking for a romantic engagement of a certain sex you're technically being sexist; discriminating on the basis of sex. That doesn't make that kind of sexism inherently wrong, while misogyny is basically always wrongheaded.

So this thread should really be called 'The Koopalings promote constrictive traditional gender roles?'

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Rexcalibr

MorphMarron wrote:

and what concern would that be? and to the person who said the thread title was inflammatory, explain? Don't come for me or my Koopalings.

Rexcalibr

Chaoz

>sees thread
>open link
>sees username
>press Ctrl, Alt, and Del 50 times
>force close Google Chrome

Daddy do you want some Sausage?
Wii U ID: dotmae
3DS FC: 3007-8540-3431

Nintendo Network ID: dotmae

Haru17

Rexcalibr wrote:

MorphMarron wrote:

and what concern would that be? and to the person who said the thread title was inflammatory, explain? Don't come for me or my Koopalings.

Haru17 wrote:

Let's be clear here, sexism is 'discrimination on the basis of sex,' misogyny is a 'hate or dislike of women,' and gender roles, what the koopalings represent, are the 'roles society expects members of each gender to take'.

So if you're strictly hetersextual, homosexual, etc and go out looking for a romantic engagement of a certain sex you're technically being sexist; discriminating on the basis of sex. That doesn't make that kind of sexism inherently wrong, while misogyny is basically always wrongheaded.

So this thread should really be called 'The Koopalings promote constrictive traditional gender roles?'

MegaMari0

I had to go back reread some comments and watch that specific part of the video. While she has a point and is valid. Making Mountains out of mole hills is my take from this. If the koopalings were all male to begin with, her tune might be about no female representation instead. So while it's fine to debate this, Nintendo is hardly the guilty party for "propagating" this particular trope when they are all focused on FUN and engaging games.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Eel

Rexcalibr wrote:

MorphMarron wrote:

and what concern would that be?

The concern that the koopalings might have a negative significance.

I got the impression that you started this thread to find people who agreed with you in that the koopalings are not negative.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

I disagree in regards to Wendy, she's leader of a successful invasion force (she did succeed in taking water land, Mario just managed to overthrow her). Not many societies consider "successful conqueror" a traditional gender role for a woman

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

SomeBitTripFan

@Rexcalibr: Your title for this thread greatly overexaggerates her argument. I don't think Anita Sarkeesian should be the person discussing the topic, given that she doesn't argue it we'll, but turning an argument with some observations regarding gender depictions worth good discussion shouldn't be portrayed as an argument about the promotion misogyny. If you want a thread to just talk about how you like the Koopalings, make a Koopaling fan thread. Depicting an argument poorly does no good and simply hinders a good discussion.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Rexcalibr

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@Rexcalibr: Your title for this thread greatly overexaggerates her argument. I don't think Anita Sarkeesian should be the person discussing the topic, given that she doesn't argue it we'll, but turning an argument with some observations regarding gender depictions worth good discussion shouldn't be portrayed as an argument about the promotion misogyny. If you want a thread to just talk about how you like the Koopalings, make a Koopaling fan thread. Depicting an argument poorly does no good and simply hinders a good discussion.

Get into it like never before.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Rexcalibr

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I disagree in regards to Wendy, she's leader of a successful invasion force (she did succeed in taking water land, Mario just managed to overthrow her). Not many societies consider "successful conqueror" a traditional gender role for a woman

Untitled

Bow, jewelry, make up, heels, the color pink, need I go on? These are part of girl's traditional gender norms in the west (the biggest intended audience) whether you recognize it or not.

Edited on by Haru17

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

Bow, jewelry, make up, heels, the color pink, need I go on? These are part of girl's traditional gender norms in the west (the biggest intended audience) whether you recognize it or not.

Appearance yes, but like I said her role in the story is anything but a traditional gender role.

SomeBitTripFan

@shaneoh: I get your point, but that's still speculation. It could just be that Bowser took control and then instated his Koopalings to hold the territory. We honestly don't know much about any of them, heck even their relation to Bowser is vague now.

What you y'all say is a better way to design Windy? That's what I think needs to be addressed more than anything.

Just Someloggery

shaneoh

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@shaneoh: I get your point, but that's still speculation. It could just be that Bowser took control and then instated his Koopalings to hold the territory. We honestly don't know much about any of them, heck even their relation to Bowser is vague now.

http://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/nes/Super%20Mario%2...
Nope, it says in the manual that Bowser sent them out to make mischief, and each stole a wand. It's irrelevant what their relation to Bowser is now, it's about the game when it was made. Outward appearances aren't everything, Wendy is capable of delivering a curb stomping, and she managed to seize a kingdom. She is also capable of strategising for a fight (again from the manual):
"This is the first time I've met up with Mario. I'm studying his moves very carefully."

She's outside the "traditional gender roles" in my book.

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

What you y'all say is a better way to design Windy? That's what I think needs to be addressed more than anything.

The best way to design Wendy? However Nintendo wants their character to look. It's not our character to mess with.

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

Appearance yes, but like I said her role in the story is anything but a traditional gender role.

Which you said in response to my original point about this being an issue or 'gender roles,' so, my point still stands. #S&D4Lief

Anyway, further than this I don't see the cause in examining characters as skin-deep as the koopalings. What's a far more ripe subject would be examining the gender preference in Xenoblade Chronicles and how that relates to Japanese gender roles. Namely, why don't Fiora and Melia ever get to do anything of consequence on their own? (in the cutscenes)

Edited on by Haru17

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.