Wii U Forum

Topic: The depressing state of the WiiU release schedule

Showing 301 to 320 of 374

AuthorMessage

rockodoodle

301. Posted:

It's pretty cool in Sonic and All Stars Transformed- one plays on the gamepad, the other on the TV, so you don't have to split the screen.....

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Does everyone who is whining about no 5 player MK8 really find themselves in situations where they have an opportunity to play a Wii-U with four other people that often?

Unless you are a kid/live in a dorm/have parents who bred like rabbits, I can't imagine it would be a feature many people would even experience.

rockodoodle

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

302. Posted:

rockodoodle wrote:

It's pretty cool in Sonic and All Stars Transformed- one plays on the gamepad, the other on the TV, so you don't have to split the screen.....

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Does everyone who is whining about no 5 player MK8 really find themselves in situations where they have an opportunity to play a Wii-U with four other people that often?

Unless you are a kid/live in a dorm/have parents who bred like rabbits, I can't imagine it would be a feature many people would even experience.

I am not going to say it isn't a nice feature but I agree with @JohnRedcorn are people really not going to buy something because it is missing 1 feature they never said was going to be in the game? I would like to have the option of 5 players on 1 system but it isn't that bad, plus they might still allow for 1 player to be on the GamePad and 1 on the TV, just not 5 players total.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

303. Posted:

LAN Mode

...in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! it is possible to play via Local Area Network (LAN), using up to eight Nintendo GameCube systems [...] This means that up to eight users can play independently with their friends using two or more GameCube systems with the Mario Kart: Double Dash!! game discs on.

While this in no way contradicts @JohnRedcorn 's thesis, I feel it's within bounds to expect the Mario Kart series to evolve beyond the 4-player tradition. Expanded support for local play would be desirable in tournaments at least, if not in other venues as well.

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

SuperChutney

304. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

I am not going to say it isn't a nice feature but I agree with @JohnRedcorn are people really not going to buy something because it is missing 1 feature they never said was going to be in the game? I would like to have the option of 5 players on 1 system but it isn't that bad, plus they might still allow for 1 player to be on the GamePad and 1 on the TV, just not 5 players total.

I am aware that I would be in a tiny minority of people that feel this way. Similarly, I am aware this would only affect a small number of people who are interested in buying this game. I was just expressing my personal feelings and disappointment. I would have bought this game for the 5-player. It isn't going to have it, so I won't. I'm sure that it will be a great game, but it doesn't match up with what I was hoping for. This is no way reflects anybody else's opinion.

SuperChutney

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

305. Posted:

In how many instances will that one extra person matter, to the extent they can't just switch out with someone else?

I'm a huge advocate of complaining, huge, but even I'll cut Nintendo a break on this one.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

306. Posted:

I saw this coming a year before the launch of the Wii U, which is why I still haven't bought the console. I'll snatch it and the good games on the cheap around the release of the next console. There's more on the market that I want to play right now that I don't have the time for that I don't even have a shred of regret in not buying a Wii U at this point in time.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

307. Posted:

Slapshot wrote:

I saw this coming a year before the launch of the Wii U, which is why I still haven't bought the console. I'll snatch it and the good games on the cheap around the release of the next console. There's more on the market that I want to play right now that I don't have the time for that I don't even have a shred of regret in not buying a Wii U at this point in time.

So have you picked up a PS4 or XBOX one? or are you just plugging away at a massive backlog consisting of Wii, 3DS, PS3 and XBOX 360? I fit in with the latter, at least in terms of Wii & 3DS. :P I don't think i've ever complained about a gaming drought before, sometimes i wonder where people get all the money and time keeping up with every single hot new release.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

308. Posted:

Some people have nice careers lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

309. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

you spelled parents wrong

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

310. Posted:

Not all of us live at home with mommy and daddy : )

And some of us have much nicer careers than our parents ever did. lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

311. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

I believe in balance, too much of anything including video games can usually lead to one unsatisfying life style, but i guess in the end it's whatever makes you happy. Money isn't exactly an issue for me, but the time that's required to get the most or complete most modern video games can be quite leangthy Vs the old. I tend to gravitate to retro these days, usually shorter, brutally challenging and sweet.... something that satisfies my masochistic gaming needs. :P But eh, a blend of both worlds(old & new) is what i tend to crave, it's good to mix things up.

I wish i lived at home with mommy and daddy, they make the best gosh darn tootin' PokeDudes cupcakes you ever did see. Durppppp! lol

Edited on by WaveWarlock

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

312. Posted:

I don't believe too many women would be unsatisfying, but I can sympathize with the time problem. I'm just extremely wasteful and purchase games without ever finishing them.

And then at the end of a generation I get rid of everything because I only like new stuff. Definitely not the most efficient way of managing money, but I get to play everything I want at release and to me that's the most exciting part of gaming, playing the newest greatest games when the excitement surrounding them is at its peak.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

313. Posted:

@AlexSays
You want to talk wasteful compulsive purchasing? You're talking to a guy who has a Wii U still sealed in it's box since Nov 2012. lol I've got 8 games for it now and a Pro Controller(need a couple more) which will only be used for the upcoming super smash bros U. :P I'm terrible, to the point where i'm still digging away at my Wii Backlog. I think it's time to just stop the silly OCDing and rip open the sucker. I could always just juggle Wii & Wii U games, instead of continuously feeling that i haven't gotten the most out of the Wii before jumping into next gen Nintendo. Heck, I haven't even played my copies of Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7 and Zelda OOT 3D yet either. I'm totally behind and my gaming habits continue to run at a snails pace. this has to change! lol It's been this way since 2012. eek!

And i agree, the most exciting part of gaming is playing the newest most cutting edge gaming console(The nes was cutting edge during it's glorious hay day and it blew my punky brewster socks off) while embracing that epic excitement that surrounds it. When you turn on that brand new console, You can almost feel the same thing occurring in millions of other households across the world, where as plunking in Demon's Crest for example on the SNES would make you feel a tad bit lonely, realizing that only 2 other people in the entire world are doing that very same thing . :P

And of course it all makes for one hell of a great discussion in whatever online gaming community.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Action51

314. Posted:

I think gaming media are partially to blame for some of the negative impressions that the medium-casual gamer may display toward the Wii U and Nintendo in general.

• What do I mean by medium-casual?

Well...those would be primarily typical "casuals" but those within the prime demographic that game companies tend to target. They have enough time and disposable income to spend on new mass market entertainment. If you look at the blockbuster movies and "AAA" games, that would be the 9-18 year old male demographic, but it can fluctuate older and younger depending on circumstance.

They aren't the true gaming geeks who know gaming history and have at one time played a rare imported game or fan translated ROM...They don't play games outside a small comfort zone of genre and visual style, but they do spend good money on a small number of big budget, heavily advertised games marketed toward a sort of juvenile fantasy fulfillment. They are not the pure casual who plays .99 apps on their smartphones, or bought a Wii and only played Wii Sports before using it only as a Netflix player.

Now....having gotten that lengthy explanation out of the way, back to my original point...

The Gaming media tend to create a double standard and push "memes" and ideas through their articles and websites that target Nintendo. Let's take the very topic of the original post on this massive thread: -Game Droughts-. Third party support or not, the gaming media has been very quick to point out any period of a month or more when Nintendo doesn't have big retail releases.

This is not so for other console manufacturers. Sure the "fanboys" and defenders are quick to point out to "ponys and xbots" when their competitor isn't releasing a big name title, but game "journalists" just don't do it...It may have something to do with the amount of advertising Microsoft and Sony do on the big websites that create these memes and ideas, or it could be that gaming websites look to cater to the more juvenile tastes of the "fanboy" types by offering an easy target in family friendly Nintendo, while not trying to upset their delicate natures by attracting too much attention to the shortcomings of the brand they have pledged loyalty to.

Let me just pause here with the per-requisite disclaimers lest I be judged a "fanboy" or "Nintendrone"...I'm not judging people who prefer other console brands, or the Sony and Microsoft consoles themselves. I'm speaking specifically about the medium-casual demographic who engage in "console war" forum battles and spend an inordinate amount of time posting reasons why they hate other consoles that they never intend to buy. I'm also required to point out that some Nintendo fans can be obnoxious and negative out of misplaced brand loyalty as well, it's just that you don't see it as much for whatever reason.

It's not just the "game droughts"...Nintendo gets trashed for game delays when the products they release end up being well polished and with far fewer glitches then what we recognize as the industry standard. When other major publishers delay games, the gaming media reminds us it's to make the game better and add finishing touches...but for Nintendo it's a conspiracy to space out their releases or because they don't have their act together.

Let's not even start on the whole sequels/remake/rehash debate. That debate is so ludicrously skewed against Nintendo that it elicits eye rolls and frustrated sighs. The entire industry is stuck in safe sequel/remake/rehash/copycat mode. No one should get a pass in 2014.

It's important to note that this very mentality that I've described generates "controversy" and controversy converts into clicks and page traffic. So it's not like these game "journalists" and websites are doing this because they are big mean jerks who just hate Nintendo. In all likelihood these game "journalists" like Nintendo games...look at the scores their first party games receive as evidence...but the nature of the business and the nature of the most vocal fans who their advertisers are targeting lead them down the easy path of spreading the all too familiar "Nintendoom".

Edited on by Action51

Action51

AuthorMessage

Zombie_Barioth

315. Posted:

@Action51
"Mainstream" would have worked just as well as. "Medium-casual" sounds like a steak.XD

Seriously though, I think theres a lot of credibility to that. Like Dice's April Fools joke, I'm sure plenty of people over at Dice/EA love Nintendo, but cracking jokes and insults about 'em makes them seem "cool" to their fans. It makes it seem like they think the way their target demographic does. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all. That doesn't excuse it of course, but understanding the situation certainly helps.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage

Action51

316. Posted:

Well, "mainstream" is kinda bad too, because most of us play mainstream games too.

I play Mario Kart , Batman Arkham, Need for Speed and Resident Evil games...those are pretty mainstream and certainly not niche titles. Maybe Medium-casual is bad too...guess we need a new name for it, because there is a definite difference between a pure casual, and the target demographic gamer who sticks to a few key major franchises but spends good money on new games and new gaming tech each year.

Action51

AuthorMessage

brooks83

317. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

I think gaming media are partially to blame for some of the negative impressions that the medium-casual gamer may display toward the Wii U and Nintendo in general.

• What do I mean by medium-casual?

Well...those would be primarily typical "casuals" but those within the prime demographic that game companies tend to target. They have enough time and disposable income to spend on new mass market entertainment. If you look at the blockbuster movies and "AAA" games, that would be the 9-18 year old male demographic, but it can fluctuate older and younger depending on circumstance.

They aren't the true gaming geeks who know gaming history and have at one time played a rare imported game or fan translated ROM...They don't play games outside a small comfort zone of genre and visual style, but they do spend good money on a small number of big budget, heavily advertised games marketed toward a sort of juvenile fantasy fulfillment. They are not the pure casual who plays .99 apps on their smartphones, or bought a Wii and only played Wii Sports before using it only as a Netflix player.

Now....having gotten that lengthy explanation out of the way, back to my original point...

The Gaming media tend to create a double standard and push "memes" and ideas through their articles and websites that target Nintendo. Let's take the very topic of the original post on this massive thread: -Game Droughts-. Third party support or not, the gaming media has been very quick to point out any period of a month or more when Nintendo doesn't have big retail releases.

This is not so for other console manufacturers. Sure the "fanboys" and defenders are quick to point out to "ponys and xbots" when their competitor isn't releasing a big name title, but game "journalists" just don't do it...It may have something to do with the amount of advertising Microsoft and Sony do on the big websites that create these memes and ideas, or it could be that gaming websites look to cater to the more juvenile tastes of the "fanboy" types by offering an easy target in family friendly Nintendo, while not trying to upset their delicate natures by attracting too much attention to the shortcomings of the brand they have pledged loyalty to.

Let me just pause here with the per-requisite disclaimers lest I be judged a "fanboy" or "Nintendrone"...I'm not judging people who prefer other console brands, or the Sony and Microsoft consoles themselves. I'm speaking specifically about the medium-casual demographic who engage in "console war" forum battles and spend an inordinate amount of time posting reasons why they hate other consoles that they never intend to buy. I'm also required to point out that some Nintendo fans can be obnoxious and negative out of misplaced brand loyalty as well, it's just that you don't see it as much for whatever reason.

It's not just the "game droughts"...Nintendo gets trashed for game delays when the products they release end up being well polished and with far fewer glitches then what we recognize as the industry standard. When other major publishers delay games, the gaming media reminds us it's to make the game better and add finishing touches...but for Nintendo it's a conspiracy to space out their releases or because they don't have their act together.

Let's not even start on the whole sequels/remake/rehash debate. That debate is so ludicrously skewed against Nintendo that it elicits eye rolls and frustrated sighs. The entire industry is stuck in safe sequel/remake/rehash/copycat mode. No one should get a pass in 2014.

It's important to note that this very mentality that I've described generates "controversy" and controversy converts into clicks and page traffic. So it's not like these game "journalists" and websites are doing this because they are big mean jerks who just hate Nintendo. In all likelihood these game "journalists" like Nintendo games...look at the scores their first party games receive as evidence...but the nature of the business and the nature of the most vocal fans who their advertisers are targeting lead them down the easy path of spreading the all too familiar "Nintendoom".

I can't help but feel that you are putting WAY too much thought into this...

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Zombie_Barioth

318. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

Well, "mainstream" is kinda bad too, because most of us play mainstream games too.

I play Mario Kart , Batman Arkham, Need for Speed and Resident Evil games...those are pretty mainstream and certainly not niche titles. Maybe Medium-casual is bad too...guess we need a new name for it, because there is a definite difference between a pure casual, and the target demographic gamer who sticks to a few key major franchises but spends good money on new games and new gaming tech each year.

I don't think it really matters if the enthusiast/core/hardcore gamer plays mainstream or casual games for these types of discussions. We play them yes, but we're still the minority of the consumer base, the biggest chunk of "everyone" is the mainstream average Joe. Pokemon is definitely mainstream, its aimed primarily at younger players, but it still has a definite hardcore following as well. Not everything about it is aimed at every part of its collective fanbase. As long as we know the who, what, and why there shouldn't be any confusion.

The problem is not a lot of mainstream consumers pay attention to gaming news, except maybe for popular outlets like IGN, Youtube, Twitter, or mainstream media. The impact their click-bait has shouldn't be this big.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage

Action51

319. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Almost as much thought as some of the people who tirelessly troll forums and message boards to attack a console they have no intention of buying, and the existence of which has no bearing on the enjoyment of the entertainment products they prefer.

Better to put thought into something you care about then endless negativity, don't you think?

Also, there is 16 pages of people posting stuff just as long and involved as my post that you don't use the "dismiss it like you're above it" tactic on...but you take it upon yourself to call out my post...which kind of proves my point about the double standards. :)

Edited on by Action51

Action51

AuthorMessage

brooks83

320. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Almost as much thought as some of the people who tirelessly troll forums and message boards to attack a console they have no intention of buying, and the existence of which has no bearing on the enjoyment of the entertainment products they prefer.

Better to put thought into something you care about then endless negativity, don't you think?

Also, there is 16 pages of people posting stuff just as long and involved as my post that you don't use the "dismiss it like you're above it" tactic on...but you take it upon yourself to call out my post...which kind of proves my point about the double standards. :)

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal attack against you. I guess sometimes I forget how things were before I had a wife, two kids and a full time job. Now with the very limited time I have to play games, I'd rather be playing them than analyzing what other gamers think. But nothing wrong with doing that, back in the day I'd be right their with you ;)

brooks83