Wii U Forum

Topic: The depressing state of the WiiU release schedule

Showing 241 to 260 of 374

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

241. Posted:

skywake wrote:

@gage_wolf
I'm not going to bother trying to quote the right bits given how badly you messed up the quotes. Anyways, this thread was going down the tired old rant about how Nintendo just rehash old games and never do anything interesting. People rightly pointed to the whole of the rest of the industry who do the same. Then rightly pointed to the fact that the Wii U's software is much less derivative than the library on the PS4/XBOne.

To which you complained and said that we should instead compare the Wii U's library to the Wii's library over the same length of time. Apparently you have a very short memory because the Wii U's library stacks up pretty well. You're now trying to say that I'm being unfair to the Wii by ignoring the better VC service. I thought this was about new and creative content?

Plus if you want to bring up the VC I'll point to the indie content on the Wii U which has been going since launch. The Wii didn't get WiiWare until after the first year. Are Lost Winds, Megaman 9, Bit Trip Beat and World of Goo more creative than Child of Light, Shovel Knight, Little Inferno and Bit Trip Runner 2? You're building my case for me.

I feel the Wii releases are better. As I added above... A lot more variety and much more interesting utilization of new control schemes with the Wii. I remember playing most of the those games for the first time and going "whoa, this is awesome" due to the motion controls and new directions. Other than Nintendoland, I can't say I've really felt that way with any other Wii U title. Plus, you managed to not even mention Metroid Prime 3 in your comparison. I'm fairly certain a good number of people would probably trade SMBU, DKTF, W101, and ZombiU just to get a Metroid title on the U. I would.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

242. Posted:

I'm not even considering the PS4 as a competing console for Wii U and Xbox One, anymore.

If Sony wants to keep pushing sales, then that's fine. My prediction is that it will push Nintendo and Microsoft to focus on what they are doing to compete against each other, while Sony does it's own thing, For example, we already have Wii Sports Club vs. Kinect Sports Rivals. Sony doesn't have a f***ing sports game, so all that tells me is that Nintendo and Microsoft's markets may be closer to each other than Sony is to either.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

243. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

Plus, you managed to not even mention Metroid Prime 3 in your comparison. I'm fairly certain a good number of people would probably trade SMBU, DKTF, W101, and ZombiU just to get a Metroid title on the U. I would.

I didn't mention quite a few of the ones that I listed mostly because there weren't really games to compare them directly with. If you must have it in that format then fine, I'll indulge you.

Wii Sports vs Nintendo Land
Super Mario Galaxy vs 3D World, New SMB U and Luigi U
Twilight Princess vs Wind Waker HD
Zack & Wiki vs Rayman Legends
Red Steel vs ZombiU
Metroid Prime 3 & Super Paper Mario vs Pikmin 3 & DKC:TF?
Mario Strikers Charged vs TW101?
Extensive VC vs threadbare VC & strong indie support?

As I said, it's not as one sided as you claim.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

244. Posted:

@SCAR392 Sony are going to have MLB 14 the show so that's their sports game and honestly it looks far more impressive then the two games you mentioned.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

245. Posted:

@SCAR392 plus you're forgetting games like playbook and Invisimals which will most likely make the transition to PS4.

The Jazzloggery
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

AuthorMessage

Zombie_Barioth

246. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The length of time isn't really a factor as long as it remains fresh and isn't oversaturated. Take Zelda for example, we're upto game #15 now right? A couple of ports in the mean time (4?) but about 15 games with one or two per console across both portable and handheld over 25 years.

There have been 10 CoD games over 10 years and about as many spin-offs. So really about the same amount of games over less than half the period of time. None of them really mizing things up as much as the average Zelda games. Not even in the same league.

The point isn't so much that they've been around for 25 years, its that people have had far longer to get tired of them. Which is more likely, COD fans getting tired of COD, or long-time Nintendo fans getting tired of Mario? Looking at how things have been I'd say theres some truth to it between the sales and comments like "they're all the same".

The big question would be what made the Wii games such a success. Was it the Wii's own success, meaning plenty of people had the console for them already? Was it a combination of motion controls and Nintendo's quality? The motion controls capture peoples' imagination really well, something the Wii U gamepad failed at, but for all we know it was just 'new enough' and things like Zelda and 1:1 motion coming to mind. I think MK8 might be the big test since it nearly outsold NSMB and Mario Galaxy combined.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage

Beetlejuice

247. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I'm not even considering the PS4 as a competing console for Wii U and Xbox One, anymore.

If Sony wants to keep pushing sales, then that's fine

They are in the business to make money and sell consoles, as are Nintendo and Microsoft. Why do you say 'keep pushing sales' as if thats a bad thing? That's the goal!

Untitled

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage

kyuubikid213

248. Posted:

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

249. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

If Sony wants to keep pushing sales, then that's fine. My prediction is that it will push Nintendo and Microsoft to focus on what they are doing to compete against each other, while Sony does it's own thing, For example, we already have Wii Sports Club vs. Kinect Sports Rivals. Sony doesn't have a f***ing sports game, so all that tells me is that Nintendo and Microsoft's markets may be closer to each other than Sony is to either.

I have no idea what you're saying.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

250. Posted:

@SCAR392

There's Sports champions dude and you know what came out yesterday.

Untitled

Sony literally has the only baseball sim on the market.

Edited on by WaLzgi

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

skywake

251. Posted:

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

The point isn't so much that they've been around for 25 years, its that people have had far longer to get tired of them. Which is more likely, COD fans getting tired of COD, or long-time Nintendo fans getting tired of Mario? Looking at how things have been I'd say there's some truth to it between the sales and comments like "they're all the same".

Top 10 best selling Zelda games:
1 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3 The Legend of Zelda
4 The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
5 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
7 Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
8 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
9 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
10 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

If it was about time wouldn't there have been a slow decline? Like the rise and fall of Guitar Hero?
1. Guitar Hero 3
2. Guitar Hero 2
3 Guitar Hero 4
4. Guitar Hero
5. Guitar Hero 5

With Zelda it's not even directly correlated to the size of the install base. Ocarina of Time is the best selling one and the N64 install base was smaller than Wii, DS, SNES and NES. Also of note is the fact that Ocarina of Time only sold about 2x as many copies of Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword as opposed to Guitar Hero where by #5 they were at 1/5th of the peak. So there ain't that much in it, it's a slow born over a long period of time. The data really doesn't support the "well people have had more time to get bored of it" argument.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

252. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

The point isn't so much that they've been around for 25 years, its that people have had far longer to get tired of them. Which is more likely, COD fans getting tired of COD, or long-time Nintendo fans getting tired of Mario? Looking at how things have been I'd say there's some truth to it between the sales and comments like "they're all the same".

3 The Legend of Zelda

If it was about time wouldn't there have been a slow decline? Like the rise and fall of Guitar Hero?
1. Guitar Hero 3
2. Guitar Hero 2
3 Guitar Hero 4
4. Guitar Hero
5. Guitar Hero 5

With Zelda it's not even directly correlated to the size of the install base. Ocarina of Time is the best selling one and the N64 install base was smaller than Wii, DS, SNES and NES. Also of note is the fact that Ocarina of Time only sold about 2x as many copies of Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword as opposed to Guitar Hero where by #5 they were at 1/5th of the peak. So there ain't that much in it, it's a slow born over a long period of time. The data really doesn't support the "well people have had more time to get bored of it" argument.

I'm pretty sure no one is tired of Zelda. I could do with less Mario for a bit.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

253. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I have no idea what you're saying.

Honestly I have no idea what point he was trying to make as well.

The Jazzloggery

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

254. Posted:

@JohnRedcorn
I know it's a good thing that PS4 is selling well. I don't, however, think it will make developers think it's the only console worth supporting. That's the sort of vibe I get from people boasting about PS4 sales.

@Jazzer94
As far as I can tell, MLB 14: The Show doesn't have Move or PS Eye support. That's what I was specifically trying to point out.

@Shingi_70
Sports Champions is on PS3, not PS4

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

255. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn
I know it's a good thing that PS4 is selling well. I don't, however, think it will make developers think it's the only console worth supporting. That's the sort of vibe I get from people boasting about PS4 sales.

@Jazzer94
As far as I can tell, MLB 14: The Show doesn't have Move or PS Eye support. That's what I was specifically trying to point out.

@Shingi_70
Sports Champions is on PS3, not PS4

Dude don't backtrack now.

Your quote was

Sony doesn't have a f***ing sports game

You said nothing about motion control or what Platform that the system was on. Sports Champions is a sony owned sports games, and as previously mentioned Sony is the only platform with a licensed baseball sim. Not only that but semantically speaking GT, Drive Club, and Motorstrom are spots games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

256. Posted:

@Sony_70
To be fair, I wasn't aware of MLB: The Show, but I really was talking about motion controlled sports games. That's why I specifically brought up Wii Sports Club and Kinect Sports Rivals, and not games like FIFA or Madden.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

257. Posted:

skywake wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

Plus, you managed to not even mention Metroid Prime 3 in your comparison. I'm fairly certain a good number of people would probably trade SMBU, DKTF, W101, and ZombiU just to get a Metroid title on the U. I would.

I didn't mention quite a few of the ones that I listed mostly because there weren't really games to compare them directly with. If you must have it in that format then fine, I'll indulge you.

Wii Sports vs Nintendo Land
Super Mario Galaxy vs 3D World, New SMB U and Luigi U
Twilight Princess vs Wind Waker HD
Zack & Wiki vs Rayman Legends
Red Steel vs ZombiU
Metroid Prime 3 & Super Paper Mario vs Pikmin 3 & DKC:TF?
Mario Strikers Charged vs TW101?
Extensive VC vs threadbare VC & strong indie support?

As I said, it's not as one sided as you claim.

Looks pretty one sided to me.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

258. Posted:

@SCAR392

ahh, it would help to probably be more clear. As far as move go were probably going to see more Support it once we get a clear indication on Morepheous. Plus Media Molecule's upcoming PS4 will support move.

Other than that Until Dawn which we haven't heard alot about other than its coming will still use the game.

My guess is that Until Dawn has either been put onto PS4 or more likely maybe its going to be a VR game.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

259. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Sony_70
To be fair, I wasn't aware of MLB: The Show, but I really was talking about motion controlled sports games. That's why I specifically brought up Wii Sports Club and Kinect Sports Rivals, and not games like FIFA or Madden.

Dude, didnt you mention in another thread that you own an XBone and a Wii U? I get you wanna talk up the systems you own, but your sony hate seems a bit empty.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

260. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

3 The Legend of Zelda

1. Guitar Hero 3
2. Guitar Hero 2
3 Guitar Hero 4
4. Guitar Hero
5. Guitar Hero 5

The data would suggest a number of caveats to your argument, IMO:

Guitar Hero may have declined, but it's not evident from the ordering.
(In fact the 4th game in the series outsold the first entry.)

Zelda has seen an increase in popularity over time, so do you claim Skyward Sword's low placement to be anomalous?

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.