Wii U Forum

Topic: The depressing state of the WiiU release schedule

Showing 201 to 220 of 374

AuthorMessage

Zombie_Barioth

201. Posted:

@Action51
I think that might be because people expect Sony and Microsoft's consoles will get those games, just like people expect Nintendo's console to get quality 1st party games.

As for the topic at hand I think the problem with the gamepad is people look at it and wonder what it does that the DS line can't. Things like a map on the bottom screen aren't really a huge selling point, and aren't really necessary either. Not even off-screen play has all that much appeal. If your the type who doesn't play handhelds at home or doesn't need such a thing there isn't much of a point to using it. Gimmicks like using it as a phone have been done before too and has mostly been relegated to casual games.

It either needs games that do things that at least feel like they're only possible on the Wii U, or just make plenty of great games that use its features sparingly and sells on the merits of the games alone. People didn't really buy Twilight Princess because of the Wii's motion controls, they bought it because its Zelda and it was an exciting, fun looking game.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

202. Posted:

MadLz wrote:

And now you're just nitpicking details to support your biased point. Are you assuming the ENTIRE system is bad because one aspect of it can't be fully utilized? I realized the Gamepad was the main selling point of the Wii U, but the 3D of the 3DS was the main selling point of the 3DS and it did just fine without the 3D being fully utilized. Is the Xbox 360 bad for the Kinect not being properly utilized? What about the PS3 and Move? Many consumers seem to think they were good systems because they had good games, not because of some gimmick they used. The Wii U may not be selling based on the Gamepad alone, but some of its software is still brilliant.

The difference being that the peripherals you're listing, PS Move and 360 Kinect, aren't required. They are optional purchases, so therefore the systems themselves aren't measured by how well these peripherals are utilized. I own a PS3 and do not own a PS Move, so if PS Move games stopped being released it's no sweat off my back. The gamepad is required to use a Wii U, therefore it's going to be much more focused on and criticized alongside the console itself.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

203. Posted:

But to dismiss an entire gaming console for not utilizing its features? You missed my point in that the Wii U has more to offer than just the GamePad

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

204. Posted:

MadLz wrote:

Also, 3D World is rehashy? By whose definition? Anyone who hasn't played the game?

I've played the game and loved it, but you cannot deny that it isn't familiar? It's like a mash-up of all the mainline Mario games we've had so far (minus maybe Sunshine.) Character selection from Mario 2, Gameworld maps from Mario 3, dumbed down controls from Mario 64 & Galaxy, with tons of nostalgic touches from the first Mario. Don't get me wrong, I love this game - it's like a wonderful "Mario's Greatest Hits" album or something. But I wouldn't call it ground-breaking. It doesn't push Mario into new directions as most 3D Mario titles have in the past. I would say the same about DKTF. No one is saying these games aren't fun. We're saying they aren't particularly "original." This is not Nintendo pushing boundaries or proving to everyone that the gamepad was a much needed addition to gaming.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

205. Posted:

@gage-wolf: Even so, does a game have to be groundbreaking to be good? I've played plenty of games that did nothing new because their premise was already good.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

206. Posted:

MadLz wrote:

@gage-wolf: Even so, does a game have to be groundbreaking to be good? I've played plenty of games that did nothing new because their premise was already good.

I think you're mistaking criticism as dismissal. I own and enjoy more than a few games on the Wii U, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect more from Nintendo. Expectations - that's what happens when a company, like Nintendo, has a history of doing great things. I expect Nintendo to continue to do great things. I'm seeing good, mediocre, and bad stuff happening on the Wii U, but I'm not seeing great things happening yet.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

207. Posted:

Ah, some other user I was responding dismissed it. My mistake

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

Mine01

208. Posted:

I dont understand why all gamers ask about "inovation" and yet the best selling games are all sequels, but nintendo does 1 or 2 3d zeldas per gen + 1 or 2 marios per gen? omg stop rehashing!

And yet what are the competition best offerings? gears of war 3? god of war 3? uncharted 3? fifa? cod? battlefield?

Im not saying i dont like said games, im just saying people is a bit much harsher againts nintendo just because its nintendo.

Mine01

3DS Friend Code: 5000-3484-9808 | Nintendo Network ID: soakedmine

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

209. Posted:

MadLz wrote:

It can, but the problem is that if a game doesn't do anything new, it eventually becomes boring. That's the reality of any creative industry. If you like the game enough that you want more, fine. Nothing wrong with that, that's your opinion. But not everyone feels that way, which is why some people are still on the fence. They're bored with what Nintendo is offering. Nintendo needs to start grabbing people's attention if they want to increase Wii U's sales. 3D World and Tropical Freeze are good games from a quality standpoint, but they're definitely not attention grabbers.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

210. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

MadLz wrote:

It can, but the problem is that if a game doesn't do anything new, it eventually becomes boring. That's the reality of any creative industry. If you like the game enough that you want more, fine. Nothing wrong with that, that's your opinion. But not everyone feels that way, which is why some people are still on the fence. They're bored with what Nintendo is offering. Nintendo needs to start grabbing people's attention if they want to increase Wii U's sales. 3D World and Tropical Freeze are good games from a quality standpoint, but they're definitely not attention grabbers.

At the same point the best selling games (example: Call of Duty) don't do much new with each installment. Being creative ca be good but also delivering the experience people expect can be good. There is a double standard in the industry. Nintendo isn't doing enough new but Activision gets to reuse assets for every Call of Duty?

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

Kodeen

211. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

There is a double standard in the industry. Nintendo isn't doing enough new but Activision gets to reuse assets for every Call of Duty?

Are you suggesting that COD doesn't get monumental amounts of flak for lack of creativity?

Kodeen

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

212. Posted:

Mine01 wrote:

I dont understand why all gamers ask about "inovation" and yet the best selling games are all sequels, but nintendo does 1 or 2 3d zeldas per gen + 1 or 2 marios per gen? omg stop rehashing!

And yet what are the competition best offerings? gears of war 3? god of war 3? uncharted 3? fifa? cod? battlefield?

Im not saying i dont like said games, im just saying people is a bit much harsher againts nintendo just because its nintendo.

One reason is that due to delays and lack of third party support your options aren't as high. Doneky Kong is a good game but there isn't much to look toward on the platform till next month.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

213. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

At the same point the best selling games (example: Call of Duty) don't do much new with each installment. Being creative ca be good but also delivering the experience people expect can be good. There is a double standard in the industry. Nintendo isn't doing enough new but Activision gets to reuse assets for every Call of Duty?

Most of the people who buy CoD aren't exactly asking for more creativity. Nintendo's fanbase has different buying habits from the rest of the industry, it's not a double standard because you're talking about different groups of gamers with different interests.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

214. Posted:

Kodeen wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

There is a double standard in the industry. Nintendo isn't doing enough new but Activision gets to reuse assets for every Call of Duty?

Are you suggesting that COD doesn't get monumental amounts of flak for lack of creativity?

Not in the sales department

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

Kodeen

215. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

Kodeen wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Not in the sales department

Well without throwing out mean stereotypes about habitual COD players, let's just say that a lot of them play COD and like-wise games almost exclusively, aren't the target demographic for Nintendo's games, and aren't the type of people who typically read gaming enthusiast websites.

Kodeen

AuthorMessage

Cia

216. Posted:

It's depressing that no matter how many good games Nintendo makes (or has in development), there's never "enough" good games for some people.

Cia

AuthorMessage

Zombie_Barioth

217. Posted:

I think one of the big reasons Nintendo generally gets more flak for not doing enough is a lot of their main IP are much older than a lot of the currently popular "milked" ones. Take Call of Duty for example, which came out in 2003. Mario Started as its own series in 1983 with Mario Bros. Thats a 20-year head start with Zelda, Metroid, and DK not too far along. If you only want to count consoles thats 2005 and 1985, respectively, still 20 years.

Could you imagine going to a restaurant that has hardly change its menu at all for over 20 years? Nobody buys the specials and most "new" dishes are prettier versions of the same old recipes. Theres nothing wrong with a classic but even your favorite food gets boring eventually if you don't do something to spice things up or add a new twist.That twist could be as simple as adding lemon to your water.

Its also probably as @gage_wolf said, people have higher expectations for Nintendo. If people think Nintendo is better than its been acting thats a good thing.

Edited on by Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage

skywake

218. Posted:

Kodeen wrote:

Well without throwing out mean stereotypes about habitual COD players, let's just say that a lot of them play COD and like-wise games almost exclusively, aren't the target demographic for Nintendo's games, and aren't the type of people who typically read gaming enthusiast websites.

And the thing about Nintendo failing because they lack creativity? What was that about? Right now CoD:Ghosts is the #1 game on both PS4 and XBOne followed closely by games like Battlefield. This train of thought was about how Nintendo "lost" because they failed to be interesting right?

Again to throw the non-subjective interestingness measure up. Metacritic ratings for "must have" and best sellers:
PS4
inFamous: 80%
CoD: 78%

XBOne
Titanfall: 86%
CoD: 78%

Wii U
Super Mario 3D World: 93%
New SMB U: 84%

There are many reasons to get a PS4 right now. The Wii U having less "creative games" is not one of them.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

219. Posted:

If you look at the Wii U games' sales, most of them are Nintendo's remakes, sequels and "rehashes".

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

skywake

220. Posted:

MadLz wrote:

If you look at the Wii U games' sales, most of them are Nintendo's remakes, sequels and "rehashes".

And the other guys are any different? In that list I made above only Titanfall is a new IP and that's basically the only new IP the XBOne has at this point. For entirely new IPs that have sold decently the XBOne has Titanfall, PS4 has Knack and Wii U has Nintendo Land, Lego City, Zombi U and Disney Infinity....

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake