Wii U Forum

Topic: The depressing state of the WiiU release schedule

Showing 181 to 200 of 374

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

181. Posted:

skywake wrote:

HDD performance impacts load times and little else. Plus the PS4/XBOne use drives that are probably about the same spec just more compact and they're fine. Console gaming load times have been limited by optical media speeds for ages, HDD performance is like an SSD compared to Blu-Ray. CPU performance? Yeah, the thing's underpowered. However it won't bottleneck a 750ti so why go higher?

I would agree with you 100%...if you're not playing MMORPGs or any online game that does dynamic content loading. In those cases the speed of your hard drive has an even bigger impact on performance than CPU speed.

In your standard single player or limited-asset online play though, HDD speed is meaninless, yep.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage

skywake

182. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

I would agree with you 100%...if you're not playing MMORPGs or any online game that does dynamic content loading. In those cases the speed of your hard drive has an even bigger impact on performance than CPU speed.

Well apparently we agree....

skywake wrote:

HDD performance impacts load times and little else.

Just like how you made a point of saying the i3 was a low end CPU. It is indeed a low end CPU but the way things are right now it doesn't really make a huge difference for the vast majority of games. Looking at an article about it now the lowest end CPUs on the market cut high end GPU performance in half. The i3 cuts it by 20%. The entry level i5 cuts it by ~5%. The cheapest i7 lets it spread its wings and the extreme edition offers no additional benefit. That's with a high end card. The 750ti is a mid-range card..... there probably won't be a huge difference and it definitely won't be ~$100+ worth.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

thatguyEZ

183. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@thatguyEZ
Then why were people comparing Wii U's library to Xbox 360 and PS3? That makes even less sense. People criticised Wii U for it's software library, and now it has more. Whether you care or acknowledge that is up to you.

Well, if Morpheus isn't a gimmick, then the GamePad totally isn't a gimmick. We're talking a VR headset that will need even more resources, and finally gives the much hated Move a bit of recognition among PS gamers. I'm pretty confident that alot of what shows up on Oculus will show up on Morpheus, though.

I don't hate PS4, but your kidding yourself if you think it's the ideal console for everyone.

When did I compare the Wii U library to 360 or PS3? I don't do that because I know it doesn't make sense. And I realize at the moment that the Wii U has more software than the PS4, and good for it. I'll stick with my 3DS for now though because the U just doesn't have anything that I must have atm. But Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei may well push me into buying one. And I never once said I thought the Gamepad was a gimmick because I don't think it is. And third, not once did I say the PS4 is everyones' ideal console that's why people buy other systems.

Edited on by thatguyEZ

thatguyEZ

3DS Friend Code: 0791-1617-9793 | Nintendo Network ID: thatguyEZ | Twitter: theinfamousdjez

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

184. Posted:

@thatguyEZ
I'm talking overall, bro. I know you didn't compare the Wii U library to Xbox 360/PS3(as far as I've seen, but I'll take your word for it).

People had BS reasons to not buy Wii U, apparently. "It's too expensive" doesn't make sense, becayse everything is more expensive. "No games" currently doesn't make sense, because it has more. "The GamePad is a mistake/gimmick" is being stupid.

My point is that I've heard this nonsense all over the internet. Either people are trolling, or don't know WTF they're saying. The attitude always adapts to whoever's favor. For example, the debate isn't whether Wii U has games anymore, it's whether it will get games in the future. This could have been subsided by accepting it takes time to build a software library, one year before PS4 launched. PS4 effects the market, but if consumer choice is based on self fulfilled prophecy, it doesn't really even matter what happens in the market.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

185. Posted:

I think when people are saying "No Games", they mean "too few AAA games". The Wii U has plenty of smaller, downloadable titles, but full scale boxed titles are few and far between, and there's only a handful of third party games. You're right to say that the Wii U doesn't have games, but the lineup is pretty much unacceptably sparse for a current gen console even 1 year in.

My personal feeling on the Wii U's lineup is not that it has no games, but it has no INTERESTING games. There's far too many rehashy games like NSMBU, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze out there that neither demonstrate next gen gameplay with the Gamepad, or any new, interesting gameplay mechanic whatsoever. When I see more games like say, Sunshine and Galaxy (note, I do not mean make Sunshine 2 and Galaxy 3, I mean make an original game concept that shows the unique, innovative gameplay for the Wii U in the same way that Sunshine and Galaxy did for the Gamecube and Wii respectively) over NSMBU and 3D World, then I'd be willing to buy a Wii U.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

186. Posted:

I do actually agree just from a personal preference perspective that I own the literally 4 games (ok 5, I don't own Game and Wario aka "at least it's not Wii Play") that makes Wii U not feel like Wii (EXCEPT HD!!!).

But then I remember Wonderful 101's sales and cry a little

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

gage_wolf

187. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

My personal feeling on the Wii U's lineup is not that it has no games, but it has no INTERESTING games. There's far too many rehashy games like NSMBU, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze out there that neither demonstrate next gen gameplay with the Gamepad, or any new, interesting gameplay mechanic whatsoever. When I see more games like say, Sunshine and Galaxy (note, I do not mean make Sunshine 2 and Galaxy 3, I mean make an original game concept that shows the unique, innovative gameplay for the Wii U in the same way that Sunshine and Galaxy did for the Gamecube and Wii respectively) over NSMBU and 3D World, then I'd be willing to buy a Wii U.

I think you nailed it. For all the hype Reggie and Co. spewed about the game pad revolutionizing the way we play games, I'm still yet to see it. I've said it many times... Nintendo Land showed signs of awesome possibilities, and then... nothing. Standard remakes of games we've already all seen and played over the last ten years. Plus, it's kind of sad that the two games this system's life is basically swiveling on at this point, SSB and MK8 are going to be standard iterations of Nintendo franchises we've seen for almost twenty years. I'm sure they will be great fun, but how much can either of those titles really utilize the game pad?

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

188. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I think when people are saying "No Games", they mean "too few AAA games". The Wii U has plenty of smaller, downloadable titles, but full scale boxed titles are few and far between, and there's only a handful of third party games. You're right to say that the Wii U doesn't have games, but the lineup is pretty much unacceptably sparse for a current gen console even 1 year in.

By this logic, 85% of the games released these days are uninteresting

Also, 3D World is rehashy? By whose definition? Anyone who hasn't played the game?

Edited on by WaLzgi

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

dumedum

189. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

My personal feeling on the Wii U's lineup is not that it has no games, but it has no INTERESTING games.

gage_wolf wrote:

[
I think you nailed it. For all the hype Reggie and Co. spewed about the game pad revolutionizing the way we play games, I'm still yet to see it. I've said it many times... Nintendo Land showed signs of awesome possibilities, and then... nothing.

There are so many games that use the Game Pad in interesting ways and so many interesting games on the Wii U that I still don't understand why people keep making this comment. Nintendo itself showed massive game pad usage many times already, from Nintendo Land - Wario - Wii Party U - Wonderful 101 - Lego City Undercover - Wii Fit U, to its uses in NSMB and SM3DWorld, and third parties used it extensively in Zombi U - Arkham City - Mass Effect 3 - Deux Ex - Splinter Cell etc etc. Really tired of that argument. If people haven't played the games, and I haven't played all the games I just listed, then learn first what games they are there and understand that the game pad got plenty of usage outside the awesome not-mentioned off tv play.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

190. Posted:

Wonderful 101 and Lego could easily be done without the gamepad. I mean can't you use the pro controller for W101.

Nothing but Nintendoland and Game and Wario need the gamepad.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

191. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Wonderful 101 and Lego could easily be done without the gamepad. I mean can't you use the pro controller for W101.

So what's you're saying is that it's a bad thing to give people control options. :p

It might actually be in terms of selling the Wii U Gamepad as something important. This actually unintentionally maybe proves my point on online. I mean it's a stretch admittedly but online for 3D World could be like having multiple control options in games originally focused on the Gamepad. It is nice and could maybe be an improvement depending on your preference, but adding in those options just distracts from the focus Nintendo is trying to have and is maybe a bad idea. Too many options can distract sometimes, and that can really hurt games. More of an idea I just thought of and not some definitive answer for anything though...

Of course, in terms of controls, that argument gets thrown out the window with Pikmin 3. That game would've been the worst out of the series EASILY with just the Gamepad controls. Wiimote+nunchuck is brilliant in that game and I will hear nothing that says otherwise.

AuthorMessage

Sleepingmudkip

192. Posted:

I think To fix any future droughts they should

1.Buy/Create more Teams and First party developers

Thats it.......

Also I feel like people who say the Gamepad is a gimmick and then turn around and praise Sony & Microsoft for the Kinect/PlayStation Eye/'Project Morpheus' are very dumb

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

The Final 2 Great Turn-Base RPGs Pokemon and Fire Emblem

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage

Kodeen

193. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

So what's you're saying is that it's a bad thing to give people control options. :p

Options are great. If Lego City and Batman AC had an option on how to play it, I would be very happy with that.

Kodeen

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

194. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

By this logic, 85% of the games released these days are uninteresting

Sadly, that's true, the rest of the industry makes a lot of samey, uninteresting games. But usually Nintendo is a beacon for creative ideas, and they're more or less failing right now, which is why it's particularly upsetting.

dumedum wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

My personal feeling on the Wii U's lineup is not that it has no games, but it has no INTERESTING games.

gage_wolf wrote:

[
I think you nailed it. For all the hype Reggie and Co. spewed about the game pad revolutionizing the way we play games, I'm still yet to see it. I've said it many times... Nintendo Land showed signs of awesome possibilities, and then... nothing.

There are so many games that use the Game Pad in interesting ways and so many interesting games on the Wii U that I still don't understand why people keep making this comment. Nintendo itself showed massive game pad usage many times already, from Nintendo Land - Wario - Wii Party U - Wonderful 101 - Lego City Undercover - Wii Fit U, to its uses in NSMB and SM3DWorld, and third parties used it extensively in Zombi U - Arkham City - Mass Effect 3 - Deux Ex - Splinter Cell etc etc. Really tired of that argument. If people haven't played the games, and I haven't played all the games I just listed, then learn first what games they are there and understand that the game pad got plenty of usage outside the awesome not-mentioned off tv play.

Nintendo Land, Wii Party, and Wii Fit are casual appeal. NSMB and 3D World don't really do anything too interesting with it. Third party games aren't really popular with Nintendo fans. Not sure about the rest.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

skywake

195. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Define "interesting". If Galaxy is "interesting" and 3D World is not then there isn't that much room for much at all. If Galaxy is your benchmark, a game I'd easily put in my top 5 games ever made, then you're going to be forever disappointed.

To avoid being too subjective there ain't much in that gap on metacritic. We're talking GTA, Portal, Bioshock, The Last of Us and Galaxy. That's it for the whole of the last generation of gaming.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

196. Posted:

I think by interesting he is putting creativity and new over quality (if necessary at least).

For example, New Super Mario Bros U is probably a game I'd consider to be better than...let's say, Zombi U. ZombiU is 100 times more interesting to me and that helps ZombiU to me as much as it hurts NSMBU. Likewise Mario Sunshine is nowhere near my favorite Mario (probably my least favorite 3D Mario honestly) but after recent titles I've gained a new respect for how creative and "keeps my attention" it is compared to most recent titles.

Creativity can do a lot to help a title and a lack of it can hurt (this is half of my justification for thinking Super Paper Mario is awesome, which I do for the record)

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

197. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Sadly, that's true, the rest of the industry makes a lot of samey, uninteresting games. But usually Nintendo is a beacon for creative ideas, and they're more or less failing right now, which is why it's particularly upsetting.

Did you even play said games before you came to this conclusion? Super Mario 3D World had many brilliant ideas in it. Donkey Kong TF had many brilliant ideas that Returns didn't. Or are you simply assuming that these are dull games just because they are sequels?

Nintendo Land, Wii Party, and Wii Fit are casual appeal. NSMB and 3D World don't really do anything too interesting with it. Third party games aren't really popular with Nintendo fans. Not sure about the rest.

And now you're just nitpicking details to support your biased point. Are you assuming the ENTIRE system is bad because one aspect of it can't be fully utilized? I realized the Gamepad was the main selling point of the Wii U, but the 3D of the 3DS was the main selling point of the 3DS and it did just fine without the 3D being fully utilized. Is the Xbox 360 bad for the Kinect not being properly utilized? What about the PS3 and Move? Many consumers seem to think they were good systems because they had good games, not because of some gimmick they used. The Wii U may not be selling based on the Gamepad alone, but some of its software is still brilliant.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

jariw

198. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

How do you play Lego City without a gamepad? That's the point of the whole game, it's a map, a scanning device, a phone, and so on. The gamepad is even shown in the game.

Current Top 10: DK:TF, Pikmin 3, MK8, Scram Kitty, SM3DW, LEGO City: Undercover, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Stick it to the Man, Wind Waker HD
Looking forward to:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, SSB U, Affordable Space Adventures, Bayonetta 2, X, Hex Heroes, Yarn Yoshi, and more

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

199. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

There are a number of games that don't need the gamepad; however, almost all of the ones I've played are better experiences with it rather than without. I don't quite understand why people feel the gamepad needs to revolutionize how every game is played. It's just an interface between you and the games.

Back on topic, I really want to see more games like ZombiU. Not because it makes great use of the gamepad, but because it's an interesting, solid, 3rd party game, and the Wii U desperately needs more of those.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage

Action51

200. Posted:

What always astounds me, is that the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony had much weaker launch libraries, and have much weaker first year release schedules then the Wii U, and that includes long term healthy third party support...but only Nintendo gets trashed for not enough AAA releases close enough together.

Also, just like with movies, the post Christmas through early spring season is usually pretty weak for releases.

Just to make a point though, I think the original TC said that they stretched out Donkey Kong to place it between Christmas and Mario Kart 8...then goes on to say there is no releases for five months between Christmas and Mario Kart 8?

• Well you can't have both! If you complain about delaying Donkey Kong and claim it was purely for marketing reasons, then you can't still call it a fiv month gap can you?...since there was a major release in the way of Donkey Kong that you just got done complaining about being delayed!

Please...there are a lot of legitimate reasons to criticize Nintendo, but I can't take people seriously unless:

1) You apply your criticism fairly to the whole industry
2) Your criticism is legitimate and doesn't contradict itself in order to heap on negatives unfairly.

Edited on by Action51

Action51