Forums

Topic: System Update 3.1.0

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

GiftedGimp

Latest update 3.1.0 is just a general stability & performance update with exception of the WiiU will no periodically check for Spotpass data, game and system updates when powered down rather than only after initially powering down the system.
Another update is due sept/oct to add more features.
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207231

Games make a great console, not technical specs.

Nintendo Network ID: GiftedGimp | Twitter:

PloXyZeRO

I hope you can disable this because sometimes my mom unplugs my Wii U (even if I ask her not to) in the night the time when I'm already sleeping to "conserve energy" (maybe it's saving like $5-$10 a year by unplugging it?)
If it's updating and she unplugs it that could be BAD

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

LzWinky

The updates won't harm the Wii U if they are only downloading. It's the installation that kills systems

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GiftedGimp

The power light is orange while anything is downloading/updating while powered down to let you know but can be turned of In the Power settings.

Edited on by GiftedGimp

LzWinky

PloXyZeRO wrote:

I hope you can disable this because sometimes my mom unplugs my Wii U (even if I ask her not to) in the night the time when I'm already sleeping to "conserve energy" (maybe it's saving like $5-$10 a year by unplugging it?)
If it's updating and she unplugs it that could be BAD

You can disable this in System Settings.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Discostew

LzQuacker wrote:

The updates won't harm the Wii U if they are only downloading. It's the installation that kills systems

The thing is the system now installs downloaded stuff during this stand-by mode.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

GiftedGimp

Official blurb:
Version 3.1.0 U includes the following improvements:
Improvements to Standby Functions:
The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on.
Improvements to system stability and usability:
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Nintendo - "A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.”

Edited on by GiftedGimp

PokeTune

Don't worry Nintendo. I'm sure those Wii U owners wont mind the wait until Sept/Oct for that update while they play all those hot Wii U releases like....uh...crickets

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CrossFactorComms/about
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX
Xbox Gamertag: DarkGameMasterX

Awaiting:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Mirror's Edge 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rare Replay
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

shingi_70

PokeTune wrote:

Don't worry Nintendo. I'm sure those Wii U owners wont mind the wait until Sept/Oct for that update while they play all those hot Wii U releases like....uh...crickets

Game and Wario
Pikmin 3
Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

skywake

Discostew wrote:

LzQuacker wrote:

The thing is the system now installs downloaded stuff during this stand-by mode.

I'm pretty sure it'll still have to ask you before you install a system update. All of those warnings about potentially bricking your system and blocking unauthorised mods etc, etc. It'll almost surely just download them and prompt you to update when you next boot the system.

[edit]
ahh, didn't notice this

GiftedGimp wrote:

Official blurb:
The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on.

So there you go.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MAB

Sony_70 wrote:

PokeTune wrote:

Game and Wario
Pikmin 3
Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101

ASHES CRICKET 2013
Untitled

MAB

Discostew

skywake wrote:

Discostew wrote:

LzQuacker wrote:

I'm pretty sure it'll still have to ask you before you install a system update. All of those warnings about potentially bricking your system and blocking unauthorised mods etc, etc. It'll almost surely just download them and prompt you to update when you next boot the system.

[edit]
ahh, didn't notice this

GiftedGimp wrote:

Official blurb:

So there you go.

Should have clarified. I meant everything that wasn't an update to the firmware/OS, so game updates would count.

Discostew

skywake

A game update that doesn't instal properly won't brick the system, a firmware update can.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GiftedGimp

Ps4/Xbone both update software and firmware while powered down... wether firmware waits for install on next power-up I dont know but Not having to wait for software to update when you want to play it is a good, convenient thing, and its going to be the norm.
If you disconnect the system from the mains after finished playing then the software won't update, and you can disable Standby functions in the System Settings if you don't want to update software when the system on standby.

Discostew

skywake wrote:

A game update that doesn't instal properly won't brick the system, a firmware update can.

Mmm, good point.

Discostew

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.