Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 9,001 to 9,020 of 27,917

K964

We're not. That's why Wii Fit Trainer's in. (Rimshot!) But seriously though, I'm not against the idea of adding more to the games via updates/DLC. However, the combined suggestions of releasing it close to launch and having the DLC consist of veterans and retro stages that would've just been on the disk normally in the previous games have spurred me to tell everyone that I think it's a bad idea. Honestly, I'm a sucker for DLC. I got the Arkham Origins season pass at launch, and we all know how that turned out. But I think those circumstances for Smash DLC would be Baby Shamu! I'd love for Nintendo to allow me to add more content to Smash Bros., but not immediately after I've purchased the game and not if the content includes things that should just be in the game to begin with. Sakurai hasn't done DLC for any of his games yet, but like what Nintendo has been doing so far with DLC I expect him and the rest of the Smash developers to do it correctly.
tl:dr I know we're not making it. Nintendo's making it and I'm confident that if they do DLC they won't screw it up.

"Good. Everyone's together. Pyrrhon loves a party."
"...It's funny because marriage is terrible!"
If you know the origin of both of those quotes, then you're awesome!
Songs are like hugs that mouths give to ears.
Dreams are easy to achieve if hope is all...

CaviarMeths

@K964 Every item you mention has value to its audience though.

• The two different retail Smash games expand its reach and audience. How is this any different at all from any other multiplatform game? In truth, the overlap in owners between Wii U and 3DS isn't that big yet, so most people will only have access to one of the games anyway. For those that do buy both, there's incentive in being able to port your progress and custom characters between the versions, much like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
  • Amiibo is a brilliant way to do DLC. Not only does it provide more content for the game, but it also offers something tangible for your money as well: collectable figurines. Nintendo merchandise is very popular and you can almost be assured that millions of people who plan on buying amiibo figures already own some other form of Nintendo merchandise. It's appealing to an audience that likes and appreciates collectables while also offering in-game content for it. Also, it's unlikely that amiibo will be allowed in competitive matches anyway.
  • The Gamecube adapter serves a purpose and isn't any different from any other peripheral like a headset or a keyboard. It adds function to your console, and there has been a vocal demand for this ever since the Wii U launched. It's pretty much a given that it's going to be compatible for more games than just Smash.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

K964

I never said those didn't have value. In fact, I plan on buying most of those things because, you're right, they have value for the reasons you've mentioned. However despite the fact that Amiibo figures and the adapter will work with other games, it seems to me like they're being advertised first and foremost as things that work with Smash and therefore things to buy for Smash. It's working. I'm excited to be able to use my wavebirds again, I'm interested in getting figures of the characters in those baddonkeykong official art poses, and I can't wait to experience Super Smash Bros. in 3D and later on in HD. However, take a step back and you realize that's a lot of money to spent on one game. Just getting both versions is already $100. Paying extra for things I expect in Smash Bros. anyway, on top of the $20 adapter and however much the Amiibo figures cost, would be ridiculous.

Shirma_Akayaku

Untitled
So yeah, there's this.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

K964

Nintendo6400 wrote:

Found this awesome e3 footage of smash! It's over an hour and has great audio.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aplSLN4FJ_o
PS I hate Fox's new voice.

Good find. I love getting to listen to these games' soundtracks.

MegaStoneSmash91

The thought of DLC doesn't bother me, and I'd gladly purchase all of it if there were going to be any. From what Sakurai has mentioned a few times, though, these two games are already stuffed with content. I don't think he would intentionally leave something out so it could be DLC later. Brawl has a ton of stuff to do, and it takes a while to complete everything. I know the idea of DLC wasn't as feasible back when it was released, but Brawl clearly didn't need it. Considering the fact that Sakurai can spread his ideas over two platforms instead of one this time, DLC seems rather unnecessary. That's not to say I'm totally against it. As I said, I'd buy all of it because it means even more Smash Bros. If Sakurai thinks it's a good idea, then by all means.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Nintendo6400

Rosalina wrote:

Untitled
So yeah, there's this.

Only in smash bros will they show Peach's undies. But this is pretty surprising because it's merchandise that there planing on selling to people of all ages. You know there's going to be those parents who will overreact to this.
P.S. These figures are incredibly detailed which is awsome. I'm gonna have to get a few these.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

CaviarMeths

People of all ages wear underwear. Kids might get a giggle out of Peach's panties, but no harm done. Overreacting parents will overreact though, you can bank on that.

P.S. These figures are incredibly detailed which is awsome. I'm gonna have to get a few these.

Yeah, the build quality for the price is surprising. 3rd party figurines of similar detail would go for $40+, and these ones have a computer chip in them.

Which immediately brings to mind the movie Small Soldiers, but that only makes these even more awesome.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Eel

Barbies (almost always) have panties too. Many action figures for boys can be undressed too.

People buy those for their children.

They had two other choices: make the dress a hollow shell and risk producing flimsy peaches, or make it a single chunk of plastic and waste money.

The "realistic" choice was better imo.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Blast

Here's my question.... how will the Wii U version maintain hype after the 3DS version comes out? The 3DS version is gonna reveal the complete list of characters and already has an impressive amount of fun modes. Just what can the Wii U version bring to the table to get good sales?

I'm MOST likely getting both versions of this game by the way.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

WhiteNoise17

Blast wrote:

Here's my question.... how will the Wii U version maintain hype after the 3DS version comes out? The 3DS version is gonna reveal the complete list of characters and already has an impressive amount of fun modes. Just what can the Wii U version bring to the table to get good sales?

Two words... Gamecube Controller. <drops mic>

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

Eel

Notice how we know basically nothing about the WiiU version.

That's how they'll maintain the hype.

In other news, I'm totes getting a pair of princesses and a bounty hunter as amiibos.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Shirma_Akayaku

I'm probably gonna be spending around $500 on games and stuff.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Tsuchinoko

I feel like melee Zelda would have had that same proalem as Peach, but her warrior incarnations wear boots instead of heels and cover up their legs.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

MegaStoneSmash91

K964 wrote:

Nintendo6400 wrote:

Found this awesome e3 footage of smash! It's over an hour and has great audio.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aplSLN4FJ_o
PS I hate Fox's new voice.

Good find. I love getting to listen to these games' soundtracks.

Yes, thanks for this. It was nice being able to hear everything for once. I also hate Fox's new voice. By contrast, Pit's voice is great, and I love the announcer. I did find it odd how Link and Mario haven't been given any new voice lines. They used all the Brawl ones. Could just be a placeholder, but I won't mind if they don't change since they're fine as is.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91

Blast wrote:

There's more to the game than the characters. Knowing all of them doesn't spoil everything. While we do know about a good number of modes on the 3DS version, we know very little about the Wii U version. It's system specific modes haven't been revealed. Though it will likely share some with the 3DS version, like Home Run Contest, there's bound to be some excellent Wii U exclusive modes. This, and the fact that the home console version will beat four people sitting around with their 3DS any day. It's the living room friendly version most will play with their friends and family. Single, large screen everyone can see, multiple control options, easier accessibility due to not needing your own system. The 3DS version will still be played, though. Portable Smash is a great idea and has it's advantages, and also features different content. The Wii U version also has different stages, trophies, music tracks, and probably a host of other things. The return of the Gamecube controller is also a big development, and will draw people to the Wii U version based on that alone. The Wii U version has plenty to offer against the the 3DS version, and Smash Bros. fans have a lot to look forward to especially if they get both versions.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

Kewlan

But the real question still stands... what about Palutena?!
... Anyway, I like that detail to the Miis!

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

SCRAPPER392

Blast wrote:

Simple. HD, different/better grapics, different stages/music, the GamePad(which will probably have a special mode), different controller options, couch multiplayer, bigger screen, surround sound...

Everybody who even knows about this game should have at least some idea about the Wii U version being a bit different, whether it be the presentation or game modes. Both versions are worth getting for anyone who actually cares. I know I saw some 3DS owners saying there's no point in owning both, so they either don't understand the substantial differences, or are trying to cope with not having a Wii U(if I can't have it, then I don't care, but if they could have it, they wouldn't be underminding).

If you like Smash Bros, both are worthwhile. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and RE: Revelations were on both, but there wasn't much of a difference, so it was only worth buying 1 of the versions, unless you really cared about portability. In this case, they both give a substantial difference, besides just being the portable or home version of the game.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic