Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 8,541 to 8,560 of 27,917

SparkOfSpirit

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa, Crono, and Bomberman, are the only third party characters left I could go for.

MetalK9 wrote:

I never actually knew the answer. Does anyone remember the Jigglypuff and Ness leak a while back? Was that confirmed fake?

It was fake.

They're gonna be in the game though. It's pretty obvious.

Original 12 rule is moot according to the Gematsu leak.

The Gematsu leak isn't every character. I thought that was obvious...

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

IceClimbers

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa, Crono, and Bomberman, are the only third party characters left I could go for.

MetalK9 wrote:

I never actually knew the answer. Does anyone remember the Jigglypuff and Ness leak a while back? Was that confirmed fake?

It was fake.

Well yes, it is obvious (though some of the people on Smashboards clearly didn't catch on to that). The third part of the Gematsu leak stated that there was an internal debate on cutting Lucas versus Ness, and that Lucas apparently might be getting the boot. Of course, both could still be in, but it means that they were actually considering cutting Ness, part of the original 12, which throws the "Original 12" rule out the window.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

SparkOfSpirit

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

MetalK9 wrote:

It was fake.

Well yes, it is obvious (though some of the people on Smashboards clearly didn't catch on to that). The third part of the Gematsu leak stated that there was an internal debate on cutting Lucas versus Ness, and that Lucas apparently might be getting the boot. Of course, both could still be in, but it means that they were actually considering cutting Ness, part of the original 12, which throws the "Original 12" rule out the window.

Depends on how serious the "debate" was. We don't know that. For all we know they might have just let both in since they didn't seem to have an issue with Link and Toon Link. Who knows?

Nonetheless, if they haven't been cut by now, I don't see any of the 12 getting it for this game. At this stage it's just a waste of a good moveset and fan favorite.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

IceClimbers

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

MetalK9 wrote:

It was fake.

Depends on how serious the "debate" was. We don't know that. For all we know they might have just let both in since they didn't seem to have an issue with Link and Toon Link. Who knows?

Nonetheless, if they haven't been cut by now, I don't see any of the 12 getting it for this game. At this stage it's just a waste of a good moveset and fan favorite.

Fair enough. Some of the people on Smashboards seem to think they'd consider cutting Lucas because he could just become the custom moveset for Ness. Same for Falco. I don't really agree with that argument though considering custom movesets can't be used online with strangers.

Anyway, I wonder how many newcomers there are that aren't part of the leak. The leak characters were all supposed to be tied to major Smash news events (E3 2013, Smash Direct, E3 2014), though the leaker has been inconsistent with reveal dates. Biggest theory I've seen is that this is because the leaker works in the marketing department, and thus doesn't need to know about other secret newcomers (and Rosalina). All the leak characters are from recent games or recently revived franchises, so they would be pre-release reveals to advertise those other games. Possible other newcomers like Ridley or King K Rool wouldn't be needed for that, and thus the leaker wouldn't know about it.

Arminillo

Give Ness Lucas' upsmash and they can cut him.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

SparkOfSpirit

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

MetalK9 wrote:

It was fake.

Fair enough. Some of the people on Smashboards seem to think they'd consider cutting Lucas because he could just become the custom moveset for Ness. Same for Falco. I don't really agree with that argument though considering custom movesets can't be used online with strangers.

Anyway, I wonder how many newcomers there are that aren't part of the leak. The leak characters were all supposed to be tied to major Smash news events (E3 2013, Smash Direct, E3 2014), though the leaker has been inconsistent with reveal dates. Biggest theory I've seen is that this is because the leaker works in the marketing department, and thus doesn't need to know about other secret newcomers (and Rosalina). All the leak characters are from recent games or recently revived franchises, so they would be pre-release reveals to advertise those other games. Possible other newcomers like Ridley or King K Rool wouldn't be needed for that, and thus the leaker wouldn't know about it.

Sounds like a good theory. All the ones leaked so far have been for big deal reveals at certain events/directs and Rosalina really wasn't. For all we know there could be buried characters that the team has no intention of revealing until after the game's release. I just don't see the leak as the be-all-end-all that some do.

I do see a final list between 46-50 with the only issue being that I don't see too many "obvious" cuts to keep it thinner than that.

― G.K. Chesterton

camerica1618

I really hope the Gematsu leak is fake. I do NOT want DLC characters for Smash.

camerica1618

IceClimbers

camerica1618 wrote:

I really hope the Gematsu leak is fake. I do NOT want DLC characters for Smash.

It's looking more and more real. DLC characters might have been unavoidable because of time constraints. Sakurai may have needed more time to work on some characters, but wasn't allowed to delay the game because its absolutely CRUCIAL for Smash to be released this November before Black Friday to maximize Wii U sales and for the system to have any chance of recovering. DLC allows him to finish those characters.

@SparkOfSpirit I agree. Personally hope that King K Rool is a playable character simply because the game is kinda lacking in villain representation at the moment, but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

IceClimbers

DestinyMan wrote:

The Gematsu leak never claimed that was all the newcomers there would be, so if it's completely true, there would still be more. I can see some potential newcomers being kept a secret if they're from older games and not as well-known, such as King K. Rool and Takamaru.

We still have some time until September 13th when Smash Bros. 3DS releases in Japan. Good grief, Japan will get the game less than a month before the rest of the world. You know what that means? Some naughty Japanese will spoil the secret characters to the rest of the world!

At any rate, I expect there will be some more veterans announced until then, and maybe a newcomer or two, but soon enough Sakurai will just decide to leave some surprises hidden.

Pretty much. We may even know before that date thanks to Japanese review copies or imports that came in early. Also interesting that the 3DS version is still hitting a Summer release date in Japan technically.

UGXwolf

I said a few things about the Gematsu leak before, but it was either ignored or not seen at all. Essentially what I pointed out was that the first leak seemed really spot on with a bunch of characters that had arguments one way or another for and against their inclusions, with the exception of WFT, who was just completely out of the blue. It was very specific about what it shared, and none of the characters really seemed like a 100% safe guess. The second leak was nothing like the first. Four of the five characters leaked were extremely likely from the start, including "pokemon from X and Y" which is also surprisingly vague, considering how specific the first leak was. On top of that, if they worked in marketing, why would they only know "a pokemon from X and Y" but be fully aware that Choir Men is going to be in? The third leak, however, is nothing like the other two. it reconfirmed characters they'd already leaked and talked about DLC. It was extremely vague, and nothing about it really quite adds up.

Call me crazy, but I really don't think these were all leaked by the same person.

Also @IceClimbers I've said this before, too. They were considering cutting Ness from Brawl and replacing him with Lucas. They wound up keeping both. I somehow doubt they'd reopen that can of worms, but even if they did, I have a strong feeling that it'll end the exact same way. Even so, in light of that and Star Fox U's announcement, I'm switching Lucas and Wolf on the list of most likely characters to get the boot, but I still think that Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are the only characters actually getting cut.

On that note, have I recently reposted Relax Alax's Smash roster prediction? He made the prediction just after the Smash Direct and so far, his list stands up. (Ike, Miis, Palutena, Pac-man, and Game & Watch)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

IceClimbers

@UGXwolf Sal Romano (the guy receiving the information from the leaker) has said it's the same person. The easy explanation is that the guy used to work in marketing, and was either fired or he left, and therefore has outdated information. He's just been releasing info in snippets. This would explain the Lucas vs Ness debate and the vagueness of "Pokemon from X/Y". As for the update in info from "Mii" in the first two parts to the very specific "Mii Fighter" in the third part, Nintendo's E3 press site with that name was actually accessible before the Digital Event for some reason according to the Smashboards. I'd recommend reading the Smashboards pages on it for a better explanation. Long read though.

IceClimbers

Anyway, it's quite possible that one of the three (Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men) is now going to be held as a secret character and a different newcomer will be revealed pre-release. I mean, Sakurai has obviously had to have caught wind of the Gematsu leak by now, right? Unless....

Plot twist: Sakurai is the leaker.

2Sang

IceClimbers wrote:

Anyway, it's quite possible that one of the three (Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men) is now going to be held as a secret character and a different newcomer will be revealed pre-release. I mean, Sakurai has obviously had to have caught wind of the Gematsu leak by now, right? Unless....

Plot twist: Sakurai is the leaker.

Edited on by 2Sang

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

Tsuchinoko

Suicune wrote:

Give Ness Lucas' upsmash and they can cut him.

Umm, no. That move is actually a reference to Something in Mother 3 anyway.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

shingi_70

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CapeSmash

shingi_70 wrote:

Untitled

Yuck! Modern Pac-Man looks sooo ugly compared to the old one.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

SCRAPPER392

shingi_70 wrote:

@siconlol

You mean Microsoft could afford it right. Not jus two months ago they made @20 billion and that's pretty much how much they make every quarter.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/24/microsoft-q3-2014-ear...

How much do they spend every quarter, though?

I agree, though. They can basically do whatever they want. They would still end up like Sony, Sega, or Atari, if they weren't careful. Any company can go bankrupt in the "right" hands,

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

IceClimbers

The question is, would Microsoft actually be interested in buying Capcom? Only reason I could think of would be for Street Fighter, and maybe Dead Rising.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic