Wii U Forum

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Wii U Thread

Showing 8,121 to 8,140 of 15,061

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

8,121. Posted:

Yep, every character has their own way of swinging battering type weapons. Since the Fire Bar is also a battering weapon, it would function the same as any other, but will only last a short time. Other battering items like the Star Rod, Lip's Stick, and even the Fan are all wielded slightly different depending on which character is using them. You could say that the characters all have their own style when it comes to these weapons.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

8,122. Posted:

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

Yep, every character has their own way of swinging battering type weapons. Since the Fire Bar is also a battering weapon, it would function the same as any other, but will only last a short time. Other battering items like the Star Rod, Lip's Stick, and even the Fan are all wielded slightly different depending on which character is using them. You could say that the characters all have their own style when it comes to these weapons.

Which makes sense. A bounty hunter used to an arm canon, a star ship pilot raised on a cockpit and blaster, a swordsman with a taste for items, and a plumber who has done just about everything under the Sun are all bound to have their own ways of handling items they're not used to, with Link likely being the more proficient user of them, as I recall him being in Brawl. (That is to say, IIRC, Link could use items better than most characters in Brawl, but it hardly comes up, as most people turn the items off, sadly.)

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

8,123. Posted:

While swinging a battering item, Pit, Marth, and Ike even add an extra attack with their own weapons in addition to the item itself. This shows how much more comfortable they are with these types of items. It's pretty much what they're used to. Some characters put a little flair in the way they use them, as well. Sonic's dash attack has him spinning around horizontally while swinging the item, and this looks especially cool with the Beam Sword. Sheik's smash attack is two quick uppercuts which ooze style from every angle. Peach's strong attack has her twirling the item around in her hand after the initial swing. I'd consider all these as part of the small, but sweet, details that go into these games. If every character swung all the battering items exactly the same, something would feel off.

On another note, I can't wait to see other characters with the new Beam Sword. Captain Falcon would look especially good using it.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Z64

8,124. Posted:

Does anyone else think the Fire Bar item would have been better as a static item that rotated like it does in the actual Mario games? It's cool as a battering item but...I don't know I think it would have been better as a stage hazard item like the Bumper.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about this before...

> 29 characters have been revealed so far.
> 6 of those are newcomers.
> The official Smash Bros. website has 7 extra empty slots at the bottom (when you're viewing a character). These tend to appear when the previous slots have been filled.
> That brings the total of characters to a minimum of 36.
> We know that Sakurai is aiming for a roster of similar size to Brawl, which was 35 slots but 39 playable fighters.
> It's almost certain that Wario, Meta-Knight, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness and Jigglypuff are coming back.
> It's fairly likely - but not certain - that Falco, Mr Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers will be included
> So that's 6 almost certain to return, and 3 likely to return. If they all do, that's a roster of 38, just under Brawl.
> With the 3DS release not far off, we are probably coming relatively close to the final roster lineup.
> If all those veterans return and Sakurai sticks to his guns regarding roster size, we're only going to see maybe 4 or so more newcomers.

Though...

> It's possible that Falco will be replaced with a brand new Star Fox rep like Krystal
> Though she's one of the original 12, maybe Sakurai has chosen to cut Jigglypuff after this mass Pokemon reveal?
> Ice Climbers may not show up because Sakurai reported technical difficulties with them. I have a weird feeling Rosalina is their replacement.
> I could see Game and Watch getting cut, though I wouldn't want it.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter: tastyzab

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo6400

8,125. Posted:

I think they will reveal more character s after the 3ds launch, but those characters will be added to the 3ds version through dlc. Gotta keep the hype up for the wii u version somehow.
PS I hope wolf returns as well =) also I'm expecting around 15 newcomers.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

8,126. Posted:

Z64 wrote:

> Ice Climbers may not show up because Sakurai reported technical difficulties with them. I have a weird feeling Rosalina is their replacement.

Where did you hear this? Technical difficulties?

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (both) + Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors

Mii Name: Shirma / Gil

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

8,127. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

Where did you hear this? Technical difficulties?

It is because of the 3DS version of the game. It might be the reason we are not getting transformative characters this time around (as in Sheik & Zero Suit Samus getting their own character spot).

IGN wrote:

Sakurai did tell me that “multiple character” combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-b...

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

8,128. Posted:

Z64 wrote:

Does anyone else think the Fire Bar item would have been better as a static item that rotated like it does in the actual Mario games? It's cool as a battering item but...I don't know I think it would have been better as a stage hazard item like the Bumper.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about this before...

> 29 characters have been revealed so far.
> 6 of those are newcomers.
> The official Smash Bros. website has 7 extra empty slots at the bottom (when you're viewing a character). These tend to appear when the previous slots have been filled.
> That brings the total of characters to a minimum of 36.
> We know that Sakurai is aiming for a roster of similar size to Brawl, which was 35 slots but 39 playable fighters.
> It's almost certain that Wario, Meta-Knight, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness and Jigglypuff are coming back.
> It's fairly likely - but not certain - that Falco, Mr Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers will be included
> So that's 6 almost certain to return, and 3 likely to return. If they all do, that's a roster of 38, just under Brawl.
> With the 3DS release not far off, we are probably coming relatively close to the final roster lineup.
> If all those veterans return and Sakurai sticks to his guns regarding roster size, we're only going to see maybe 4 or so more newcomers.

Though...

> It's possible that Falco will be replaced with a brand new Star Fox rep like Krystal
> Though she's one of the original 12, maybe Sakurai has chosen to cut Jigglypuff after this mass Pokemon reveal?
> Ice Climbers may not show up because Sakurai reported technical difficulties with them. I have a weird feeling Rosalina is their replacement.
> I could see Game and Watch getting cut, though I wouldn't want it.

The Fire Bar might make sense at first as a stage hazard, but has the potential to negatively affect gameplay. As an item, it can do whatever it wants to.

Also, you seriously just made my head hurt from all of the misconceptions and failed assumptions.

> How many times must we discuss this? The slots at the bottom of the page are filler slots. They don't mean our imply anything. They're just there to fill in the space between the last character and the far right side of the graphic. They probably aren't even intentional.
>Sakurai never once stated that he wanted to have a roster size similar to Brawl's. I keep having to explain this one, too. He said a good number of things regarding roster size, including that he wasn't interested in adding a whole bunch of third party characters, he didn't want to add a bunch of characters for no real reason (sorry, Sheriff fans), and that the team didn't have a set number of roster spots in mind for this game. He also said he wants to bring back as many characters as he can from Brawl, but that technical limitations do exist.
> The 3DS version launches this Summer, which could mean a month-and-a-half from now or four months from now. With E3 being conveniently inside of that time frame, we may be getting a lot of characters, soon. And don't forget that he could always just not show a character. So no, we may not be anywhere near full roster.
>Krystal won't replace anyone. Falco and Wolf are both more popular on a global scale.
> Ice Climbers have no excuse, considering Rosalina & Luma would be harder to implement. They aren't guaranteed to return, but I think they'll be back.
> Game & Watch probably isn't going anywhere.

I really don't think we'll see very many roster cuts at all. I still stand by ~44 as my expected roster size.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Prof_Clayton

8,129. Posted:

I know it's a stretch, and probably won't happen... but Wonder Red with a new Wonderful 101 game would make e3 perfect for a Smash presentation. :3
People also seem to keep thinking that a lot of old characters will be cut... why? I mean, the characters were fine enough before and updating an old character is better/easier than making a new one. I'm aure there will be new ones, but almost all of the old characters will return, I'd assume.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog
Videogame Chatroom
Kid Icarus: Uprising Spotpass Weapon Thread
Thank you for visiting; I hope you enjoyed yourself.

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter: 8BitForward

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

8,130. Posted:

All the Brawl veterans except Pokemon Trainer and Snake will return, it increasingly looks like to me. Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something? I stopped reading that guy's post when he mentioned that. Those slots serve no purpose but to show that there's still more characters coming.

I wish Krystal was playable, but it's more likely that we'll have Fox, Falco, and Wolf again, and I don't see the roster having four Star Fox characters. I wouldn't worry about Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers. The roster will be bigger than Brawl, and maybe significantly so. Just because the 3DS version is releasing sooner than we thought doesn't mean the roster is close to completion. Sakurai is practically guaranteed to keep some characters hidden just like with every other Smash Bros. game, and we may have multiple characters announced at E3 just like with the Smash Bros. Direct and last E3.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

8,131. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

All the Brawl veterans except Pokemon Trainer and Snake will return, it increasingly looks like to me. Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something? I stopped reading that guy's post when he mentioned that. Those slots serve no purpose but to show that there's still more characters coming.

I wish Krystal was playable, but it's more likely that we'll have Fox, Falco, and Wolf again, and I don't see the roster having four Star Fox characters. I wouldn't worry about Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers. The roster will be bigger than Brawl, and maybe significantly so. Just because the 3DS version is releasing sooner than we thought doesn't mean the roster is close to completion. Sakurai is practically guaranteed to keep some characters hidden just like with every other Smash Bros. game, and we may have multiple characters announced at E3 just like with the Smash Bros. Direct and last E3.

Pretty much this except that I expected both versions to launch in August, anyways, so there's a decent chance I was right about the 3DS version.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

8,132. Posted:

I didn't expect either version to release in summer, and definitely not the Wii U version. We should be happy to play Smash Bros. this summer at all!

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

8,133. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

I didn't expect either version to release in summer, and definitely not the Wii U version. We should be happy to play Smash Bros. this summer at all!

Absolutely agreed. You don't see me complaining. Hey! Maybe we'll get 3DS in July! Maybe June, if we're stupidly lucky.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

8,134. Posted:

@UGXWolf: I'm hoping for July, but I'm expecting August.

For the Wii U version, it'll definitely be the Christmas season, in the range of late November to early December.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

8,135. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something?

Yeah, the site auto-scales to match the resolution of your screen. It has nothing to do with amounts of character slots or anything like that.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

8,136. Posted:

Jigglypuff will return. He always does. He always will. Jiggs is timeless. Jiggs is omnipresent.

This is basically the only game series where Jigglypuff is useful and fun to use.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OdnetninAges

8,137. Posted:

Someone in this world wrote:

Jiggs is love. Jiggs is life.

Console Usernames: Rc

LOL, HASHTAG

I got my 3DS back from repair!!

Can't wait to use Lucina and Pac-Man in the new SSB.

Miiverse Profile

My Anime List

NSLU Playthrough with friends

Check out Ninten-Times!

The Pinnacle of Human Achievement

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Z64

8,138. Posted:

UGXwolf wrote:

Also, you seriously just made my head hurt from all of the misconceptions and failed assumptions.

> How many times must we discuss this? The slots at the bottom of the page are filler slots. They don't mean our imply anything. They're just there to fill in the space between the last character and the far right side of the graphic. They probably aren't even intentional.
>Sakurai never once stated that he wanted to have a roster size similar to Brawl's. I keep having to explain this one, too. He said a good number of things regarding roster size, including that he wasn't interested in adding a whole bunch of third party characters, he didn't want to add a bunch of characters for no real reason (sorry, Sheriff fans), and that the team didn't have a set number of roster spots in mind for this game. He also said he wants to bring back as many characters as he can from Brawl, but that technical limitations do exist.
> The 3DS version launches this Summer, which could mean a month-and-a-half from now or four months from now. With E3 being conveniently inside of that time frame, we may be getting a lot of characters, soon. And don't forget that he could always just not show a character. So no, we may not be anywhere near full roster.
>Krystal won't replace anyone. Falco and Wolf are both more popular on a global scale.
> Ice Climbers have no excuse, considering Rosalina & Luma would be harder to implement. They aren't guaranteed to return, but I think they'll be back.
> Game & Watch probably isn't going anywhere.

I really don't think we'll see very many roster cuts at all. I still stand by ~44 as my expected roster size.

> I'm not placing a lot of weight on the filler slots, but it would make sense that if there's 7 slots, then there's at least 7 more characters to fill, and then it'll expand to more as it did before. There's been nothing to imply otherwise so far, so it's not necessarily a faulty assumption. I wasn't implying that was the final roster size. (Edit: I didn't know the slots changed per device, see below)

> In regards to the last point about technical specifications, you missed out the part where he followed it up with a point that they were planning to reduce some characters to a certain degree. This is what I was referring to. If he's referencing the reduction of characters, and Brawl is the comparison, then that's an implication on the roster size. Well, that's how people interpreted it at least.

> The point about roster time scales you have misunderstood, though this is my fault as I mistyped the sentence. I meant to say "we're probably coming very close to finding out the final roster lineup", referring to how we're likely to get an onslaught of reveals in the next coming months, as opposed to implying we were near the end of characters.

> Granted Falco is more likely to return but I honestly think Krystal is a more likely bet than Wolf. That's just my opinion though, not really an assumption or misconception.

> My view on the Ice Climbers was purely based on what Sakurai said. I agree that Rosalina seems a much more complex character, so it's odd that Ice Climbers are causing trouble. Perhaps Sakurai is altering them to work more like Rosalina (with more independence) and this is what creates issues? Who knows.

> Again, G&W is just an opinion, not a misconception or assumption. I could see him being cut though I don't think it'll happen.

DestinyMan wrote:

All the Brawl veterans except Pokemon Trainer and Snake will return, it increasingly looks like to me. Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something? I stopped reading that guy's post when he mentioned that. Those slots serve no purpose but to show that there's still more characters coming.

I didn't know it changed between devices. Again I stress I'm not putting weight on that point. All I was saying was that because there was 7 slots, we can assume at least 7 character's are still to come. It will be expanded once again, like it has done before. That's all. Though if it changes per device, it's clear it doesn't mean much.

Edited on by Z64

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter: tastyzab

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

8,139. Posted:

Z64 wrote:

I'm not placing a lot of weight on the filler slots, but it would make sense that if there's 7 slots, then there's at least 7 more characters to fill, and then it'll expand to more as it did before. There's been nothing to imply otherwise so far, so it's not necessarily a faulty assumption.

It is though, since the amount on "filler slots" depend on your screen resolution. If you go to the site on an iPhone, there'll just be one "filler slot". When I use my MacBook, there are four "filler slots" etc.

Z64 wrote:

I agree that Rosalina seems a much more complex character

In what way?

The Luma is nothing more than a mimmic character & can't be separated on its own. Ice-Climbers can be fully separated where one of them requires its own AI and is able to fight by itself. Rosalina & Luma seem a lot simpler to me.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Z64

8,140. Posted:

I repeat, I didn't know until now that the slots changed per device/screen resolution.

Do we know that Luma has no independent AI? I thought they worked in a similar way to the Ice Climbers, only with more 'independent' moves and ability to be further away from each other.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter: tastyzab