Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 8,041 to 8,060 of 27,917

Melkac

Nintendo6400 wrote:

Melkac wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Melkac wrote:

I just wanted to ask this...
Am I the only one who thinks the graphics of the Wii U version look rather...undetailed? It is, in my opinion, one of the worst looking Wii U exclusives. Which is not good! It's Smash Bros! IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK FANTASTIC (ala Brawl, even if that one hasn't aged all that well. SD realistic graphics...)

Of course, this could be fixed in the next few months, between the 3DS's version release and the Wii U version's. Polishing the graphics during the last few months of development seems to be a thing with Nintendo nowadays (3D World and MK8 being the most recent examples)

It's subjective really. I on the other hand think the game looks fantastic

Eh, it's definitely not the best looking Wii U game. The textures look really undetailed (just look at the "grass" texture on the screenshot up there) and the models look incredibly pointy for whatever reason. Again, i'm guessing this will be fixed when the game is released, since they're probably putting more effort on the 3DS version for now).

if you're referring to the pic of the day the grass is supposed to look like that. It's an animal crossing stage.

Now, I haven't played many Animal Crossing games, but I know how their aesthetics are. AFAIK, the texture isn't supposed to look horribly low-poly and undetailed.
But eh, woo hoo smash brothers...I guess having some criticism isn't valid...

Melkac

UGXwolf

@Melkac Your criticism is valid on your end. We just don't care, honestly. Not to sound like a total jerk, but I really don't care what you think it looks like, if I think it looks great. I really prefer this more simplistic design aesthetic they've gone with, and if you haven't, sucks to be you, I guess. Again, not trying to sound as rude as possible (though if I were, I'd be succeeding), but we heard your opinion and very clearly don't agree. Don't try to guilt trip people by saying that your view apparently isn't valid. It's valid, we just flat out don't agree with it.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

MegaStoneSmash91

@Melkac So, you want ultra realism, like what Brawl tried to do? Is that it? I personally like the visual style of the Wii U version better. The vibrant, colorful, and overall simple nature of the visuals fits most Nintendo characters a lot more. Mario Kart 8 and 3D World look very similar, and it works great in those titles as well. As for the grass texture and models, those aren't exactly as important when compared to the playable characters. Having chaotic Smash Bros. matches running in HD at 60 fps means the background characters/objects don't need to look as good as the more important things. Nobody is going to be looking at that grass up close while playing. The character models, assuming you're specifically talking about the Animal Crossing characters in that Pic of the Day, have the same sort of situation. They still look really good for background elements, but don't feature quite as much detail. It was the same thing in Brawl. The characters on Smashville didn't look as good as the fighters.

If, however, this is all going to be polished up before the game releases, than that's even better. I think it already looks good..

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

2Sang

Melkac wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the graphics of the Wii U version look rather...undetailed? It is, in my opinion, one of the worst looking Wii U exclusives. Which is not good! It's Smash Bros! IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK FANTASTIC (ala Brawl, even if that one hasn't aged all that well. SD realistic graphics...)

Of course, this could be fixed in the next few months, between the 3DS's version release and the Wii U version's. Polishing the graphics during the last few months of development seems to be a thing with Nintendo nowadays (3D World and MK8 being the most recent examples)

The graphics are probably the worst thing going for the wii u version right now. I bet they get more detailed after the 3ds version is released, but the graphics look like a skyward sword kinda and not as much like what most people pictured smash bros. 4 to be. I really like the graphics style of the 3ds version, though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

Jazzer94

Looks epic I wonder if it will be a playable stage at the Smash Invitational.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

MegaStoneSmash91

Looks like a nice stage. Big, detailed background, overall pleasant to look at. Since I'm not a FIre Emblem fan, I can't really say much about it otherwise. I will be very interested to hear what my FE-loving friend will have to say, though.

Also, that close-up of Ike and Marth looks fantastic.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Kewlan

I think this version of Smash looks amazing and colorful. I really disliked Brawl, it was blurry and muddy, and everything smelted together...

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

Z64

Melkac wrote:

Eh, it's definitely not the best looking Wii U game. The textures look really undetailed (just look at the "grass" texture on the screenshot up there) and the models look incredibly pointy for whatever reason. Again, i'm guessing this will be fixed when the game is released, since they're probably putting more effort on the 3DS version for now).

If you're specifically talking about the Animal Crossing screenshot, the character and background models are pretty consistent with the art style of the AC series. The grass is admittedly a little low res when you look at it close up, but are you really going to be looking at the grass during a fight?

Plus, there will undoubtedly be further polish, otherwise the two games would release simultaneously. We can see differences from old POTD and more recent ones, for one. It's an ongoing process.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter:

MrWalkieTalkie

Melkac wrote:

Untitled

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

cookiex

I had a really weird Smash Bros-related dream last night. :/

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

ZurrrrBlattTron

I think the only thing that worried me for smash 4s graphics was yoshi's shoe texture , although that doesn't mean they can't add in more detail later even if they don't I wouldn't mind it, Smash Wii u is still a very pretty game even if it isn't Hyper Realistic graphics everyone is crying for Brawl was too detailed IMO

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

whodatninja

cookiex wrote:

Was it about HIS stare? You can tell us...

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

cookiex

whodatninja wrote:

cookiex wrote:

Actually no. Sakurai showed a trailer at E3 that revealed Sonic Boom Knuckles with a random tease for a Double Dash mode in Mario Kart 8 at the end. People went nuts when Donkey Kong came driving with Yoshi sitting behind him.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

whodatninja

cookiex wrote:

whodatninja wrote:

cookiex wrote:

Actually no. Sakurai showed a trailer at E3 that revealed Sonic Boom Knuckles with a random tease for a Double Dash mode in Mario Kart 8 at the end. People went nuts when Donkey Kong came driving with Yoshi at his back.

Doesn't sound as much a dream as much as... A PROPHECY!!! Not to derail the thread but Nintendo would dumb not to make a Double Dash mode as DLC. I'm surprised they didn't include it already!

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Melkac

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Melkac wrote:

Untitled

Look at all the edges on Link's cap. That's what I mean.

Now, let's make this as clear as possible because apparently everyone thinks I'm criticizing the art style: Brawl's art style has aged horribly, same with Melee. The Wii U version of SSB4 has my favorite art style of ANY Smash Bros game, I'm not criticizing that, I'm criticizing the graphics, textures, models, NOT the art style.

I'm criticizing stuff like Yoshi's leg here...
Untitled

The weird looking texture on Zelda's hair...
Untitled

All the sharp edges in every single one of the models, I'll use Dedede's as an example...
Untitled

And the black void all around Little Mac's neck...
Untitled

Yes, polishing the graphics always happens on the last few months of development of a Nintendo game, I'm not dumb, I've said this like three times already...yet so many of you people keep telling me the exact same thing as if I didn't already know that.
And yes, the 3DS version DOES look more polished. I sure as hell don't prefer the art style, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the screenshots we've been shown.

Now, can we please have a civil discussion without mentioning the art style and how the freaking grass texture is supposed to look low res?

(Also, that Substitute's model is probably one of my favorite things from this game. It's pretty obvious that one's finished...)

Edited on by Melkac

Melkac

Eel

Lil Mac's shirt does look weird.

I guess it's because it's a model on top of another model, you know, since at least one of his alt costumes is shirtless.

Maybe they will fix it up before the release.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

MegaStoneSmash91

When I notice little things like that, it doesn't bother me. This isn't a finished game, and I know it can be fixed. There's no way those things will stay that way, especially Yoshi's leg. My guess is that they got the models done well enough to show screenshots of and they'll gradually smooth everything out as they go. How the game plays and functions is most important, whereas the visuals can always be touched up later. There's animations, effects, sounds and the like that should be perfected before the rough edges of the character models. They are mostly complete with a few little flaws here and there. Some features of a face may still be glitchy, there could be some excessive clipping going on, or perhaps something that bends has a seam that shows up.

It all comes down to the fact that, with the game still in development, we should expect these kinds of things. If all this is still present when the game is released, then you can complain

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

DefHalan

Smash Bros is also meant to be viewed from far away. The camera is normally pulled pretty far back during fights

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic