Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 7,641 to 7,660 of 27,917

Caryslan

Blast wrote:

Ike looks cool but seriously... how does Ike stay in the roster but not Chrom or Lucina? Keep Marth but at least give us Lucina or Chrom! No one is that excited for Ike!!!! Does Sakurai not know who they are???? Lol

You could make the argument that Ike was more popular that even Marth in Brawl. At the very least, going by random wifi matches, I ran into Ike alot more that Marth.

I think Ike was pretty popular in Brawl. Not to mention, he's the only Lord besides Marth to star in two games, so he deserves to come back.

And yes, I am biased since I was an Ike player in Brawl. I am thrilled to see him back!

I don't really see how him coming back kills Chrom or Lucina's chances? I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem will get a new rep, its a popular enough franchise to get three reps.

Now Roy on the other hand, his chances just went way down with Ike coming back. It looks like it will be Marth, Ike, and the New FE Rep as our Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

Caryslan

iKhan wrote:

I'm really confused about who Sakurai is going to cut. There are clearly going to be cuts, but the most likely and best cuts, Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike, are returning.

Surely Sakurai isn't cutting Metaknight in a kneejerk reaction to him being broken in brawl right?

My guess is that Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake are the most likely ones on the chopping block.

Wolf may get cut since the popular opinion is that Star Fox has too many reps and it is not popular enough to keep three reps.

Ivysaur and Squirtle most likely will get cut due to the Pokemon Trainer concept being nixed in this game. They are competing with Jigglypuff(who will likely keep her spot most likely due to being one of the original 12) and Mewtwo who is far more popular than either of those two, and is one of the most requested characters.

Snake may have gotten cut if either Konami or Nintendo did not like the money that was required to keep him in, or the deal fell apart in some other way. Who knows, maybe both parties felt that he no longer fit into the series, and cut him. He has virtually no relevance on Nintendo platforms, unlike Mega Man or Sonic, so he does not even have any real ties to Nintendo to justify having a roster spot. I find it odd that he has not been shown off yet. Who knows, maybe we got another Konami rep like someone from Castlevania or something.

Those are my four picks for who will be cut from the roster.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

UGXwolf

I just want to say that I told you so. I don't remember when or what was going on, but I'm pretty sure I argued that Ike wasn't very likely to get cut. And for people assuming this means no Chrom... Stop assuming. Who says they can't have more than two FE characters? Patterns? Sakurai laughs at patterns. And then breaks them... FOR BREAKFAST!

And @iKhan Sakurai stated he wanted to bring as many characters back as possible. There won't be very many cuts. At this point, I'd argue there may only be three. (PKMN Trainer, Snake, and potentially ROB)

I know I've argued this to death already, but the characters everyone thinks will get cut for being too cloney have too many reasons to stick around for them to be an easy choice. Wolf was specifically made unique. Lucas is more recent to the Mother series with a rather big fanbase from the last game. A lot of people expected Mewtwo to return in Lucario's place and look what we have, here! And don't forget that a lot of people thought Ike would be replaced by Chrom, just like Roy was replaced by Ike. Patterns mean nothing. Sakurai went into both Melee and Brawl with completely different mindsets than he has for Smash 4. In Melee, he wanted to expand on the game. In Brawl, he wanted to expand on the content while giving the game a luck element to make it more inclusive than Melee was. With this game, he's aiming to drive down the middle and find a medium that many fans of either game will be very happy about. Patterns mean NOTHING.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

19Robb92

Love the new design. He looks a hell of a lot stronger this time around, hopefully that means he'll be even slower than he was in SSBB as well.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

I know I've argued this to death already, but the characters everyone thinks will get cut for being too cloney have too many reasons to stick around for them to be an easy choice. Wolf was specifically made unique. Lucas is more recent to the Mother series with a rather big fanbase from the last game. A lot of people expected Mewtwo to return in Lucario's place and look what we have, here! And don't forget that a lot of people thought Ike would be replaced by Chrom, just like Roy was replaced by Ike. Patterns mean nothing. Sakurai went into both Melee and Brawl with completely different mindsets than he has for Smash 4. In Melee, he wanted to expand on the game. In Brawl, he wanted to expand on the content while giving the game a luck element to make it more inclusive than Melee was. With this game, he's aiming to drive down the middle and find a medium that many fans of either game will be very happy about. Patterns mean NOTHING.

I don't think Lucas should be cut, but even ignoring patterns, Lucario, Ike, and Toon Link just make a lot of sense if there is limited roster space. The newest Pokemon game needs a rep, and Mewtwo has a massive following. Awakening was a groundbreaking game for the FE series, and Zelda could use a 4th rep that's not a literal duplicate. In limited roster space, it makes sense to replace the secondary reps.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

FriedSquid

Yeah, maybe I'm biased as Chrom's my #1 pick for a newcomer, but there's absolutely nothing that says he (or any other FEA rep for that matter) can't still be squeezed in with the other FE fighters. He would only need to have a moveset that differs enough from both Marth and Ike unless he'd be a clone.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Tsuchinoko

Yay three FE reps!

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Eel

Professional personal trainers hate him!

Untitled

Local lord discovers weird trick to increase muscular mass and bishoneness in only two games.

Click to find out how.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tsuchinoko

Of course they would bump FE up to three reps, Awakening was a huge hit for Nintendo so they understand the popularity of the franchise.

I don't know why but this also gives me hope that they'll keep both Ness and Lucas.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

ZurrrrBlattTron

Ike is the next lucario, regardless I would love to see chrom FE does deserve three reps and awakening is FE best selling game to point (I think haha)
At this point in Smash 4's development i got most of what I wanted with Villager and Rosalina and now Charizard now all I want to see left is Chrom and Impa (CMON NEEDS TO HAPPEN PLZ)

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

DreamyViridi

I previously wasn't big on Ike since he was a bit OP in Brawl, but his Ragnell sword seems to have been shortened and I do like the redesign (if you can call it that), reminds me of Awakening's Mercenary class . So I'll give Ike's return a welcoming chance but I hope FE gets one more rep, I wouldn't call myself a fan of the series but I think it deserves one more.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

cookiex

I really hope this doesn't mean that Chrom won't be in the game.

With that said I like Ike's new design.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

UGXwolf

iKhan wrote:

I don't think Lucas should be cut, but even ignoring patterns, Lucario, Ike, and Toon Link just make a lot of sense if there is limited roster space. The newest Pokemon game needs a rep, and Mewtwo has a massive following. Awakening was a groundbreaking game for the FE series, and Zelda could use a 4th rep that's not a literal duplicate. In limited roster space, it makes sense to replace the secondary reps.

Maybe from one angle, but Lucario has a big following, too, not to mention Gen 1 has enough rep as it is. Mewtwo's following isn't really bigger. It's just more vocal. Ike has a fairly big fan base in Brawl players, due to his high knockback and surprising range, considering his low speed. Beyond that, he's not a clone of anything. He's entirely unique, which is part of the reason he replaced Roy, in the first place. As for Toon Link, he may seem like the secondary to us, but it's worth keeping in mind that the Link that the main Link is based off of is from the 3D Zelda games which are fairly unpopular in Japan, compared to the handheld games. Toon Link has featured in two of the last three Zelda titles, and his clearly smaller stature would make a costume change little more than an insult to Toon Link users.

It's a lot of similar reasons to why I don't think Wolf, Lucas, or Ganondorf are going anywhere. They're too prominent or too unique or too recent to really deserve to be cut, and besides, when people quote Sakurai, they always seem to miss where the emphasis is. Sakurai didn't say he was going to start chopping off the characters to and fro. He said there would have to be some cuts. This is something people like to quote, but they always seem to forget what he said before that, which explains that he wants to bring back as many characters as possible. Counting Squirtle and Ivysaur as two separate characters, we're now looking at 4 likely cuts, being Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and POSSIBLY ROB, for whom I've still not seen a compelling "come back" argument other than "there's no reason to get rid of him."

cookiex

I don't see how Ganondorf would be cut, but there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be changed around quite a bit since he's basically been a much slower Captain Falcon clone with one or two different attacks.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

UGXwolf

Dark-Luigi wrote:

OdnetninAges wrote:

MAN1AC wrote:

So I guess this means no Chrom....

Like I said. There's absolutely no reason they can't squeeze in a third FE rep. Maybe they'll make Chrom a good Marth clone, (i.e. Fox to Wolf or Ness to Lucas) rather than a bad one (i.e. Link to Toon Link/Young Link or Captain Falcon to Ganondorf). Maybe he'll be just different enough to FEEL different, or maybe, just maybe, they'll come out of left field with a total BAMF that may or may not be female and doesn't play anything like Marth or Ike. Anything's possible.

@cookiex I was more pointing out that Ganondorf being a clone doesn't put him on the chopping block in just about anyone's mind, so why should it put Wolf or Lucas there? Why should it put Toon Link or Lucario there?

Donalp15

There is no reason to assume that this means anything for Chrom, if there can be three characters from Star Fox, then there sure can be three for Fire Emblem.

FC 0516 7736 7877

Azooooz

I haven't played FE: Awakening, but what's so special about Chrom? and is he different from Marth?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

May_Nyan

I really want Tharja to be a newcomer.

May_Nyan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic