Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 7,261 to 7,280 of 27,917

SparkOfSpirit

Moorpheel wrote:

@personwhoninjadme: that's not the part you're overthinking.

So tell me what I'm overthinking, because I clearly need to be told.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

OdnetninAges

Kaeobais wrote:

Predictable or not, the reason Pac-Man should be in the game is because he's a HUGE part of gaming history. Smash Bros. is all about the all-stars, the gaming greats duking it out. That's why we were stoked for Sonic. That's why were stoked for Mega Man. I know myself, and many others, would be just as happy to see Pac-Man.

Plus, if a character is going to be included from Namco, the one that would make the absolute most sense is their mascot, no?

I think the problem is people confuse characters that make sense to be in Smash Bros. with characters they WANT to see in Smash Bros. Pac-Man makes the most sense. End of story. Yes, other characters might be more interesting or fun or surprising, but no other choice would make as much sense, and if someone other than Pac-Man represented Namco, lots of people would lament it.

This. Exactly this.
Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable characters in the world, arguably more so than Mario.

Also, the whole "Gee, can't wait for the next Pac-Man game" argument is terrible. When was the last time Mega Man had a game? Exactly. He's still a gaming icon, and people were happy and hyped to have him in.

But whatever. I want him in the game, some others do, and some others don't. No point in arguing over it. Wait until he's announced to complain... That is, if he's in the game. (I'd say his chances are about 50/50 at this point.)

Mizore wrote:

I'd prefer Tails, but yeah...one Sonic character.

Yeah. I'm probably the biggest SEGA and Sonic fan here, but there shouldn't be any more Sonic characters, nor should there be any more Mega Man characters. (My friend keeps begging and pleading for Zero, and it always pisses me off. Another keeps asking for Knuckles, and that pisses me off as well.) If there had to be another Sonic character, I'd rather have Tails. Shadow is overrated as heck, and isn't as iconic as Tails.

As a matter of fact, Pac-Man would be a better choice than a 2nd Sonic or Mega Man character, in my opinion.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

GerudoKing

There's a difference between Pac Man and characters like Cloud Strife and Lara Croft as far as iconic status goes. I don't know how well I can put it into words, besides Pac Man is like a founding father. If there were a Mount Rushmore of video gaming, it may very well feature Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man.

Anyway, I would quite like it if Pac Man were to make the roster.

Edited on by GerudoKing

GerudoKing

Eel

It's funny, but most anti Pacman arguments seem to boil down to "I'm not his fanboy, therefore he would be a waste of roster space".

(Oh you know, because 'roster space' is a non renewable material that should be preserved. It's better off not used than 'wasted')

We all know nobody would not-buy the game only for Pacman and haters would end up warming up to him, like they always do in Smash Bros with odd newcomers.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

SparkOfSpirit

KingKoopa1982 wrote:

There's a difference between Pac Man and characters like Cloud Strife and Lara Croft as far as iconic status goes. I don't know how well I can put it into words, besides Pac Man is like a founding father. If there were a Mount Rushmore of video gaming, it may very well feature Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man.

Anyway, I would quite like it if Pac Man were to make the roster.

What about Pitfall Harry, Space Invaders, or the Lee brothers from Double Dragon? Why does Pac-Man have more priority over them? Sakurai said Namco will have no special treatment over anyone, so they should be just as likely. If that's so, then why is no one suggesting them?

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Nintendo6400

WebHead wrote:

Anyone else feel that Mewtwo could end up being a secret character that isn't announced until after the game comes out or a player unlocks Mewtwo?

This
And possibly other characters both new and old.

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

SparkOfSpirit

Moorpheel wrote:

It's funny, but most anti Pacman arguments seem to boil down to "I'm not his fanboy, therefore he would be a waste of roster space".

(Oh you know, because 'roster space' is a non renewable material that should be preserved. It's better off not used than 'wasted')

We all know nobody would not-buy the game only for Pacman and haters would end up warming up to him, like they always do in Smash Bros with odd newcomers.

It's funny, because a lot of Pac-Man arguments boil down to "He's an icon even if he's not popular or related to Nintendo, so he should be in." Which is not how Smash Bros. has ever done anything. It's like they want him in so bad they have to dismiss any argument as being fanboy-ish. I don't care if Pac-Man's in or not, but the reasoning for why is so generic that it seems to be little more than just to have him in the game. Which, in that case, means any character from any series should be in.

Edited on by SparkOfSpirit

― G.K. Chesterton

Eel

Nobody is suggesting these characters because they make even less sense than Pacman.

At least he's got the benefit of being owned by the company that is developing the game.

That doesn't mean they have 0 chances, but I doubt Nintendo would go through the problem of seeking the copyright owners to ask them for permission for these specific third party characters.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

SparkOfSpirit

Moorpheel wrote:

Nobody is suggesting these characters because they make even less sense than Pacman.

At least he's got the benefit of being owned by the company who is developing the game.

That doesn't mean they have 0 chances, but I doubt Nintendo would go through the problem of seeking the copyright owners to ask them for permission for these specific third party characters.

Sakurai said Namco is getting no special treatment, so Namco developing it is irrelevant.

Pitfall was the first platformer and one of the most important games ever made. Pitfall Harry is referenced in pop culture all the time and has a ton of move-set potential. Space Invaders is one of the most important arcade games ever made, maybe even more so than Pac-Man, and again is well known to the public. Double Dragon was a phenomenon, started a whole genre of videogames, and is fairly well known to people who appreciate Smash Bros, they also have much move-set potential.

I don't think any of them are going to be in, but the "icon" argument is not good enough to put Pac-Man over any of them.

― G.K. Chesterton

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

Anyone else feel that Mewtwo could end up being a secret character that isn't announced until after the game comes out or a player unlocks Mewtwo?

I think it won't take long for a fake Mewtwo unlock to start making the rounds, like Toad for Melee

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Eel

There was playable Toad rumor during the Melee era?

Too bad nowadays it is simply impossible to keep some mystery in games. As soon as one person can access the game files in a computer, it's all revealed.

Bloop.

DefHalan

Moorpheel wrote:

There was playable Toad rumor during the Melee era?

Yea there were even websites devoted to it. The most popular fake unlock involved shooting all the names in the credits. Sadly, I tried many times before I gave up lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SparkOfSpirit

On the plus side, nobody guessed R.O.B. until it was out in Japan. So, there are some secrets until release, at least.

― G.K. Chesterton

Joeynator3000

lol I remember the Toad rumor. xD

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Blast

DestinyMan wrote:

There will be secret characters, but unfortunately they won't be so "secret" when the games are released and their presence is leaked onto the web once people unlock them. The real negative about the games' releases being spread far apart is that everyone will know what the full roster will be long before the Wii U version releases.

Sad and yet so true. There won't be any mystery for this game as soon as it hits.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Joeynator3000

...Gonna try to not go on these sites at all once the 3DS version releases. (most likely downloading, lol) I made the mistake back on Melee of looking at a player's guide, I need to be surprised here. xD

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Blast

Here's my concern.... Wouldn't the Wii U version hype slowly dwindle after the 3DS version comes out? How the heck is the Wii U version hype still be high after the 3DS version comes out? Like seriously?
I'm getting both versions, by the way.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

retropunky

You don't want to be spoiled of secrets and characters?

Stay off the internet and Miiverse when the game is released.

Enjoy the game naturally.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

Joeynator3000

I'm sure the Wii U will get some features the 3DS won't have that will excite everyone.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

retropunky

I've read a lot of people didn't like the Subspace Emissary, but I thought it was a good change for a story mode. It was tedious at times, but a different outlook on how all the characters interacted.

I know Sakurai has said it's not returning, but if the 3DS has a Smash Run mode, maybe the Wii U will have an exclusive mode too.

Only assuming the Smash Run mode was brought out since it's coming out first.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic