Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 6,621 to 6,640 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

Holy crap, is that a Franklin Badge?! Thats the first thing from the Mother series we've seen in the game so far!

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

UGXwolf

I'm legitimately at a loss to figure how anyone could even remotely be disappointed by that Direct.

And before I continue, I'd like to toot my own horn and point out that I called it on the 3DS version being the one, if any, that would come out first. What did I say? It's not Sakurai's job to make the Wii U sell well. It's his job to make Smash sell well, and the 3DS version is going to kill it. Besides, what do you think might happen, if those people get it on 3DS? Might they not go "This is great, but you know what? I think this'd look even better on my TV. Too bad there isn't a console version for me to play this on that might have more features, stages, music... you know... content in general? OH WAIT! Wasn't this coming out on the Wii U? I've heard there were other cool games, too. Didn't they have an awesome E3, this year? Maybe I'll just pick one of those up around the end of the year." Seriously, I'm telling you, if Sakurai does this right, the 3DS version will encourage people to pick up the Wii U version.

Besides, you weren't gonna get the Wii U version any sooner, no matter what they did, so quit yer bickering. At least you GET to play Smash 4 this Summer at all.

Now, then. About Greninja. Everyone's tackling this all wrong. It's not about importance. Sure, it helps, but it doesn't cover anything. @2sang You can name any character you like, but none of those retro characters would be any more interesting than what I saw in that reveal trailer. Mewtwo starts to look rather uninteresting, when you place him next to Lucario, as Lucario does next to Mewtwo. Clones or no, they're still not as cool, when placed side-by-side. Need proof? Look at Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

Now, honestly, I'm feeling more than ever that roster size isn't an issue whatsoever. There's not exactly a cap, and Sakurai pointed this out oh, so long ago in a quote everyone loves to misinterpret so much.

"It's not a matter of 'oh, if we have 50 characters, then that'll be enough.'"

What he's saying here is that there is no roster size cap. They'll only cap it when the system can't handle any more.

Also, some characters that should be expected to return without even a contest:

Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Falco, Wario.

If you seriously think they'd remove any of these characters, you've got another thing coming.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go catch up to the hype train, cause it ain't stopping for me.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Aviator

Understand the hype, but do we really need a bunch of high-res images.

The daily posting (and re-posting) of the PotD is fine. This is not.

Not everyone has high speed internet.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Tsuchinoko

Im excited. Looking forward to more character and stage and item reveals.

One thing, and ill say this was the ONLY thing i was a bit disappointed by, is that the 3ds version will have significantly less music. I feel as a celebration of Nintendo that the music is just as important as the characters and stages, so hm a little sad, but if thats the only thing, then its all good.

Also, on the loss of Pokemon Trainer, i was under the impression that most people that used him mainly used Charizard anyway.

@aviator i don't even have a computer. Im on my phone and its being hella slow for some reason. Thats why it took me 5 reloads before i caught that Franklin Badge pic

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Im excited. Looking forward to more character and stage and item reveals.

One thing, and ill say this was the ONLY thing i was a bit disappointed by, is that the 3ds version will have significantly less music. I feel as a celebration of Nintendo that the music is just as important as the characters and stages, so hm a little sad, but if thats the only thing, then its all good.

Also, on the loss of Pokemon Trainer, i was under the impression that most people that used him mainly used Charizard anyway.

@aviator i don't even have a computer. Im on my phone and its being hella slow for some reason. Thats why it took me 5 reloads before i caught that Franklin Badge pic

Well, yes, but that's really the only way the 3DS can handle the mass amount of content Smash is gonna have.Those cartridges do have a storage limit, after all. Whereas, I recall, the Wii U discs can have an upwards of 52 GB, did they not? It only makes sense the 3DS is gonna have limits, somewhere, and I imagine they felt music was the place that least people would hurt over.

Haxonberik

I'll throw in my expected missing characters, feel free to comment:
Most veterans would likely return, the ones that may not (I think) are:
+Ice Climbers, due to technical difficulties
+Ike, may be replaced with another FE character
+Lucas (would be cool if they kept him as a Ness skin)
+Pokemon Trainer (no duh)
+ROB, he just has one game with him and is not THAT memorable
+Falco and Wolf, though the first one is more likely to stay
+Snaaaake, almost forgot him as I have basically already counted him out

So that being said, here are some new characters I'd like and are somewhat likely to appear:
+Chrom/Lucina
+Shulk from Xenoblade
+A namco character (Pac-Man? Lloyd Irving?)
+Some non-clone character from Star Fox (Krystal, anyone?)
+Isaac from Golden Sun (notice how he still isn't an Assist Trophy?)
+Someone from Advanced Wars (don't really know the series well), mainly to replace Snake
+Someone really out of the blue from an unrepresented series (A la Game & Watch)
+Palutena (especially since it's Sakurai's game and has also been removed from Pits Final Smash)

www.convectiongames.com

Tsuchinoko

That flickr helped. Just saw the Mr. Saturn as well. Im satisfied.

FriedSquid

Haxonberik wrote:

I'll throw in my expected missing characters, feel free to comment:
Most veterans would likely return, the ones that may not (I think) are:
+Ice Climbers, due to technical difficulties
+Ike, may be replaced with another FE character
+Lucas (would be cool if they kept him as a Ness skin)
+Pokemon Trainer (no duh)
+ROB, he just has one game with him and is not THAT memorable
+Falco and Wolf, though the first one is more likely to stay
+Snaaaake, almost forgot him as I have basically already counted him out

So that being said, here are some new characters I'd like and are somewhat likely to appear:
+Chrom/Lucina
+Shulk from Xenoblade
+A namco character (Pac-Man? Lloyd Irving?)
+Some non-clone character from Star Fox (Krystal, anyone?)
+Isaac from Golden Sun (notice how he still isn't an Assist Trophy?)
+Someone from Advanced Wars (don't really know the series well), mainly to replace Snake
+Someone really out of the blue from an unrepresented series (A la Game & Watch)
+Palutena (especially since it's Sakurai's game and has also been removed from Pits Final Smash)

Almost my exact expectations. Lucas I think could return (or at least I hope so, since I mained him) and as for Palutena, I think she'd be better as an Assist Trophy along with Magnus... /me runs

I also really want to see Mewtwo return... but I guess Jiggs will probably take his spot as I think about it more. Other than that, I can't think of anyone I specifically want to see as a newcomer.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

UGXwolf

So who hasn't been announced yet? There's 21 characters from the Smash series we haven't seen, counting tfs, as transformation attacks have been removed.

Smash 64:
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Ness

Melee:
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers
Ganondorf
Roy
Mewtwo
Pichu
Young Link
Dr. Mario

Brawl:
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Wolf
ROB
Ike
Lucas
Snake
Wario
Metaknight

So for starters, ignore Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link as they all have next to no chance of inclusion to begin with. Roy has a slightly better chance and Mewtwo has a slightly better chance than that, but these all amount to really terrible odds. Mewtwo would have better odds, but Jigglypuff is the next POke'mon in line for inclusion.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are fun, but I'm willing to bet we won't be seeing these two as playable characters, this time around. Aside from there being no room for them, Charizard being solo is a big indicator that they felt the other two weren't helping him all too much. So we're down seven, now? 14 to go. So let's order these guys around in terms of likelihood for returning, as predicted by my logic, which hasn't failed me, yet, so I see no reason not to trust it, now.

Captain Falcon comes first. He's so iconic to the series, I can't see them even considering removal. Ness is after that. He's a fan favorite and another perfect attendee, as well as the primary Mother rep. Getting rid of him would be a sin. Ganondorf comes after that, in third. He's the most prominent Zelda villain, so removing him makes no sense. I think they're reworking his entire move set, myself. We'll have to see. Jigglypuff is fourth. The only reason she isn't in the top three with the other perfect attendees is because there are already four Poke'mon, and I can see Sakurai tripping us all up with another Poke'mon entirely that no one saw coming, yet again. So far, that's:

1. Captain Falcon
2. Ness
3. Ganondorf
4. Jigglypuff

Wario is my next pick. He's the most unique of all the Brawl newcomers in this list, so removing him would be a shame. Besides, with Waluigi and Ashley as assist trophies, and both having the Wario logo, no less, I think he's already been implemented, and we just haven't seen him, yet. Metaknight comes next. Why? Sakurai. Loves. Kirby. Not only that, but Sakurai absolutely adores Metaknight. The only thing I can see stopping him from being in this game is Sakurai rage quitting when Namco tries to make him less OP. Falco is next in line because spacies are forever. Falco has a huge fanbase in both the states and Japan, from what I can tell, which Wolf and Krystal only seem to have in one or the other, rather than both. Removing him just seems far too unlikely. Checking the score, again:

5. Wario
6. Metaknight
7. Falco

Mr. Game & Watch comes next. As the most unique character in the entire Smash series, removing this character would be a shame, but I can't help but feel the backlash for his removal would be less painful than for any of the above. If you couldn't tell, this list is still just "who would be the least painful to drop?" and not "who is most likely gonna go?" Lucas comes next, and this is where things stop being so positive. Lucas, I would still argue, is the most relevant character to the Mother series, HOWEVER, he's far less so, when it comes to Smash. If they're going to decrease rep for the Mother series, Lucas will be the one to go. Not Ness. (Fun fact, though, is that Ness was originally going to be replaced by Lucas in Brawl, but the team decided against it. Instead, they kept both characters, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep them both, again. So:

8. Mr. Game & Watch
9. Lucas

Now, I'm gonna start going case-by-case, starting with

10, the Ice Climbers.
The only reason anyone thinks these guys are going to be removed is because there were technical difficulties involving team characters. As we saw, that took a toll on Olimar's Pikmin count, HOWEVER, we've also seen that Rosalina and Luma work extremely well, which throws this reason out the window. The only reason they're still this low is because I really don't think that many people would miss them. There would still be fan backlash, but I can't imagine them being horribly missed in gameplay, myself.

11. Wolf.
You already know my argument for Wolf. You've heard it many, many times. He's not as cloney as Falco is. He fills an entirely different role than Fox does, unlike Falco. I will continue to argue up and down that Falco deserves the boot before Wolf does, but that's all just my argument. Truth is, Wolf is the first spacie in line for the boot, since he was the last one in the door, and no amount of arguing will change that. Still don't think he'll be removed, though.

12. R.O.B.
I can't think of one reason for this guy to stay. I've used the "unique" argument too much, already, and at the end of the day, that's all ROB seems to have going for him. The only reason he's not lower is because I also can't think of a reason to remove him.

13. Ike
The only person I'm torn between arguments on. Ike is unique and powerful. Just the kind of rep FE ought to keep. Roy was removed for not having much purpose, as his moveset was too close to Marth's and Ike was also a flame swordsman. Ike doesn't have to be removed to add a new FE character like Chrom. Even so, patterns say he will be, and the idea of the roster growing so fast makes me think they may not think they have three FE spaces open. And I doubt they'll take Ike over someone from Awakening.

14. Snake
You saw it coming. Don't deny it. After all of this, I can't find any reason to keep this guy here, aside from his unique moveset, but this time, he's also 3rd party, making inclusion a very active thing, and I'm just not so sure Sakurai's willing to stretch the roster to fit him in, this time.

citizenerased

I agree with most of that, although I think Snake's really a 50/50 toss-up depending on whether or not they've been in contact with Konami at all.

I hope they drop Wolf and maybe make him an alternative costume to Fox. Having him in the character selection screen is quite literally a waste of space.

Definitely hoping for Wario and Metaknight to make a return. Captain Falcon is a no-brainer. Ganondorf too, but I hope they entirely change his moveset. Bowser has his own move-set, why can't the villain from that other main Nintendo franchise?

Edited on by citizenerased

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

Tsuchinoko

What you guys got against my homeboy Lucas? I will throw down! Its go time!

Hmm, honestly i can see why he might get cut, i just really hope not.

Anyway we already know 99% that Wario and Captain Falcon are in because of their assists, and at least one Mother character.

I feel Chrom is a lock because of the awakening stage. Sakurai keeps teasing the Palutena thing. That guy i swear. He's kind of awesome.

Pootypie

camerica1618 wrote:

I'm truly shocked that some people are actually disappointed with this Direct.

A lot are just un-pleasable to be honest. I liked the direct, the only thing I disliked is that Wii U version is coming out at Winter... Oh well I will get 3DS then Wii U then.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Uncle_Franklin

King Dedede only throws Gordos now, so what about Waddle Dee being a character?

Uncle_Franklin

Pootypie

ChoppedLiver wrote:

King Dedede only throws Gordos now, so what about Waddle Dee being a character?

He barely has any moves, so I doubt it.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Pootypie

DestinyMan wrote:

Untitled
Perfect final smash for Charizard!

Oh wow, what about the other version?

Pootypie

SheldonRandoms

With the addition of Greninja to the roster, Slippy Toad dressed up as a ninja seems unlikely now , but nobody wanted that, right?

Also with these newcomers and veterans, this Smash Bros fighting tournament is becoming really Packed, Man!!!

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Bigtime

There is a lot to read since the direct so im just going to throw out how I thought.

• Greninja is such an obscure character to have as playable, especially when Saki and Dark Samus are assists trophies.
  • Was hoping there would be a leaderboard for your online record, don't really get Sakurai's reasons for there not being one. That's Nintendo for you.
  • The game looks awesome visually, especially Final Destination with the planets.
  • Looks like we are getting costumes and that is great.
  • Charizard is pretty cool? I guess. Although I found him to be the worst of the three choices for Pkmn Trainer.
  • Megamans Final Smash was excellent. Hope every character gets a short cinematic like Cpt. Falcon did in Brawl.

That's all I can think of for now. And About Wolf, I don't get why people want him gone? Fixed definitely, but not gone.

Edited on by Bigtime

Bigtime

3DS Friend Code: 1203-9892-7345 | Nintendo Network ID: martinf

Budda

Bigtime wrote:

• Was hoping there would be a leaderboard for your online record, don't really get Sakurai's reasons for there not being one. That's Nintendo for you.

I am actually quite happy that there isn't an actual leaderboard. If you look at some other leaderboards of other games a NORMAL gamer can't do anything to get on the top. There are too many ppl that spend too much time for this and you won't catch up. And as Sakurai said. With this form of leaderboard you can see some kind of success without seeing the actual leaderboard.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Nintendo6400

After hearing what Sakurai said about taking the time he needed to recreate Yoshi makes me happy about some of the other characters like Meta Knight, Ganondorf, and others. Maybe mewtwo too.

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Captain_Toad

@DestinyMan They're the bugs from Galaga......Wait? We're getting the bugs from galaga?

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic