Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 5,741 to 5,760 of 27,917

SCRAPPER392

I'm guessing a 45-50 range. This is under the presumption all of the previous characters return, the new ones that have been announced, then at least 5 more.

I think a Konami and Namco character have a high chance of making it into the game, which would be 2 more characters, then a few more Nintendo characters. The Bubble Bobble character from Square Enix or Ryu Hayabusa from Tecmo would be welcome, IMO.
Characters like Ridley, Samarai Goroh, Mewtwo, Shulk, Mii, Vaati, Porky, Louie(uses rock and flying Pikmin) or Krystal would fill put the roster pretty quickly. Just thowing some characters out there... I was trying to avoid memtioning more Mario or DK characters, though. I'm pretty sure Sakarai knows that people want Ridley, and there are 2 different Ridleys(Meta and regular).

With Namco working on the game with Sora Co, I'm pretty sure they'd be able to throw out a ton more characters than alot of people tend to expect.
I think there will be alot of characters on the roster, when all is said and done, but that's my opinion.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

JoyBoy

If he is planning to keep the amount of characters similar to brawl, then I really hope he cuts a lot and makes entry for new characters.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94 I don't see that from either of those quotes. What I see is "this isn't going to be an insanely massive roster." What I also see is "expect characters to not make the cut due to game size." This doesn't at all imply, to me, that the roster will be similar in size to Brawl's roster, and there are a lot of character cuts that would be very difficult to make. We currently have 19 veterens. This leaves 16 unannounced. One of these is Yoshi, who is practically guaranteed a spot in the roster, as well as the other three of the original 12. That brings the number of possible cuts down to 12. WIth certain characters being entirely unique (specifically Wario, Game & Watch, PKMN Trainer, Ice Climbers, ROB, and Snake) we can't expect most of these to be removed. I'd cut two out of this, tops. That's down to 8. I've stated my feelings towards Ike, Wolf, Falco, and Lucas many, MANY times, so I can't see more than two of these being cut, bringing that number down to 6. And you're nuts, if you think they'd cut Ganondorf or Metaknight, so that's down to 4.

That means the most you could expect is something along the likes of ROB, Snake, Wolf, and Ike being removed. Even then, you're already over 35, and you'd be nuts to think there aren't more newcomers on the way. Now, maybe not these specific four, but I just can't see them cutting more than four characters off the Brawl roster. There are too many that have too much reason to be there.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

SCRAPPER392

@UGXWolf
I agree.

There's also this little tidbit from a around 2 years ago:
http://kotaku.com/5920428/just-how-much-of-the-new-smash-bros...

The entire Sora and Tekken team, along with other hand picked contributors from Namco's biggest games are working on this game. Considering that this new entry has already been in development for about the same time as Brawl has, there's no doubt alot more than they are showing us. Granted, HD graphics, real time physics, etc. are more intensive on development, but the graphics are still generally pretty simple. Namco's team is probably going nuts with making detailed models of everything Sora's team askes them to. The animations and concept designs could be handled by Sora, for all we know. I can't stress enough how many people are working on this game.

Qwest

UGXwolf

@SCAR392 "I agree." ... WELL! There's a first!

But no, SERIOUSLY, this article gives me a lot of hope for this game. I just recently picked up Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition, and the roster is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE. Yet it all seems to balance out very well. Ok, so just about every character appears to have a clone. Whatever. Still a massive roster, and still a very balanced game. I love it.

Also, I love how on point that second comment is.

"Namco could make the best Smash game ever and then Sakurai could ruin it by going: 'Oh, and can you add tripping to the game? Kthnxbai!'"
"You melee /fans/ just ruin everything, don't you?"

I've had this experience so many times, it becomes the biggest relief to hear that. I'll talk about Mega Man in the game and then they'll bring up the speed saying it still won't be fast enough. I'll talk about how Little Mac could very easily become my new main, and they bring it down hard by arguing that we still can't deconfirm the lack of hitstun that was present in Brawl. I love this series, and I fully agree that Melee was probably the best in terms of competition, but they just can't seem to appreciate that there's more to Brawl than the aspects that ruin the typical competitive meta. IMO, Brawl is a more interesting game to watch, anyways, as it turns the competitive meta on its head and becomes far less predictable. Something I could enjoy watching just as much as I could enjoy playing it.

Jazzer94

@UGXwolf @SCAR392 I went back and edited my size prediction after looking up the roster size and seeing that it was 37 not 35 , if you too want to believe that there is no way that the roster will be the same and can only get bigger that is fine by me but looking between the lines of what Sakurai is saying its become very clear to me at least that the roster size is going to be near identical.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94 If you want to play the numbers game:

12 + 13 = 25
13 - 3 = 10
25 + 10 = 35
10 - 3 = 7
35 + 7 = 42

This would be silly logic to base your argument on, but it certainly might seem logical, at first. Besides, the main point is that I can't see them cutting all too many characters. Not adding all that many would kinda make sense, in a way, especially if this is meant to make the game like Brawl, but less damaging to competitive meta. Also, if we're talking roster size, Brawl was 35 without transformations and 39 with. 40 if you count alternate costumes, too. I don't count extras, though. 35, it is.

MegaStoneSmash91

I feel that only a slight size increase of the roster is necessary. 40 seems to be a faily realistic number, or something very close to that. Brawl's roster was already a good size with many of the best character choices already there. Add on the 5 current newcomers to Brawl's roster of 35, and maybe add a few empty places for possible cuts and additional newcomers. I can't imagine the roster for these new games to be less than or equal to Brawl's. It wouldn't be right to take a step backward like that.

@UGXwolf Speaking of Melee, I certainly hope these new games will please those fans. Melee itself seems to be more like a religion than anything these days. Brawl is usually passed off as a mediocre game because it isn't as fast or competitive as Melee, even though Brawl has more of almost everything content wise. Not to mention the huge amount of Nintendo history, varied collectibles, and extras which Melee can never compete with. There's sure to be plenty of people that dislike these new games simply because they aren't Melee, or because they aren't enough like Melee. Hopefully the mix in physics will satisfy some of them.

@Jazzer94 Characters like Zelda that are technically 2 characters in one are counted as the same, due to taking up the same single space on the character select screen. Having Sheik as a separate character from Zelda wouldn't make any more sense than having each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon separate. Even the games themselves don't count these in the Data section.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

SCRAPPER392

I thought Brawl was a ton better than Melee. All the same mechanics and more were there. Aside from the somewhat floaty character gravity and a bit of question on the balancing, Brawl was basically better in every way.

More characters, more items, assist trophies was/is a big thing, more straight forward music choices, more stages, final smashes, etc. easily made it a better game. Plus, the graphics and overall presentation were a big step up from Melee.

Alot of kids I used to know from school were all Xbox 360 gamers, but had some experience with Smash Bros. on GCN(especially since I gave them a GCN to play). We played Melee basically everyday. When I brought over my Wii with Brawl, they were really impressed with how much much more fluid and graphically enhanced the game had become on a system that was usually known for it's "sub-par" graphics.

EDIT: Also, they could hardly even comprehend what was going on in stages like Aeroport or Lylat Cruiser. Admittedly, even my brother and I could hardly comprehend what was going on in those stages until we got used to it. There was ALOT more going on that made it a better and more complicated game, the few issues aside. I played Xbox 360 pretty often, and Smash Bros. still held up very well compared to what other consoles had in their library.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

ZurrrrBlattTron

Hey quick question everyone's been assuming ridley may or may not make well regardless anyone else think we might get another metroid character besides him? Maybe one of the galactic federation members in other m? I was thinking maybe Adam but I would much rather prefer to see Anthony I think he has potential as a metroid character and a smash bros character as well but eh that's just me

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

ZurrrrBlattTron

Also on toon Zelda I would think of we were getting a new Zelda rep it shouldn't be her Zelda is already a unique fighter in smash toon Zelda is unnecessary I definitely wouldn't like her especially with all these gimmicks running around the internet

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

Snagrio

siconlol wrote:

Hey quick question everyone's been assuming ridley may or may not make well regardless anyone else think we might get another metroid character besides him? Maybe one of the galactic federation members in other m? I was thinking maybe Adam but I would much rather prefer to see Anthony I think he has potential as a metroid character and a smash bros character as well but eh that's just me

I really don't think any other Metroid character has a chance besides Ridley to be honest. Everything else are either mindless monsters that doesn't really themselves to being playable, or one-note human/humanoid characters that only appeared in one or two games.

Ridley on the other hand is pretty much the number 2 character of the Metroid series, being present in most of the games. He's basically Samus' Bowser. And due to Sakurai previously stating that size doesn't matter when it comes to roster inclusion, Ridley doesn't have that problem either.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Budda

Looking at the Pic of the Day.
I wonder why Sakurai didn't reveal the SmashBall ingame on the reveal trailer or one of the early PotD?
Why now? ..It's one of the main gameplay mechanics of the game?

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Shirma_Akayaku

Untitled
"Pic of the day. That item that brings victory one step closer...the Smash Ball! Of course everyone wants it! Come to think of it, I haven't introduced any of the Final Smashes yet... Then again, if I introduced every single one, it'd take over a month's worth of posts."

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Pootypie

Rosalina wrote:

Untitled
"Pic of the day. That item that brings victory one step closer...the Smash Ball! Of course everyone wants it! Come to think of it, I haven't introduced any of the Final Smashes yet... Then again, if I introduced every single one, it'd take over a month's worth of posts."

Already posted... lol

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

FishieFish

It looks so shiny..

"No one said you could touch."

Shirma_Akayaku

"...over a month's worth of posts."
I'm assuming that means one Final Smash per day, Monday through Friday?

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

Shirma_Akayaku

@TheGreatGamer I know it's already posted. Did it anyways
Side note: I hope they really revamp Peach's Final Smash.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

UGXwolf

WingedSnagret wrote:

siconlol wrote:

I really don't think any other Metroid character has a chance besides Ridley to be honest. Everything else are either mindless monsters that doesn't really themselves to being playable, or one-note human/humanoid characters that only appeared in one or two games.

Ridley on the other hand is pretty much the number 2 character of the Metroid series, being present in most of the games. He's basically Samus' Bowser. And due to Sakurai previously stating that size doesn't matter when it comes to roster inclusion, Ridley doesn't have that problem either.

While we can infer this from what Sakurai /actually/ said, could we please stop putting words in the man's mouth? What he said was that Smash doesn't always pay attention to scale. I know this implies that being too big isn't a real argument, but that isn't what he actually said.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic