Posts 5,521 to 5,540 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

WingedSnagret wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

FishieFish wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

Captain Rainbow? Who is that?

A character in a Japan exclusive Wii game that had a bunch of Nintendo characters in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Rainbow

He seems too strong for his name

Aaaaand THANK YOU! For demonstrating exactly why this game wasn't localized to NA (or EU, for that matter)

Aside from rainbows being associated with flamboyant gayness, in the West, the transgender jokes with Birdo would've been considered "too edgy" in the US, and may have even gotten the game banned, in some countries. In the end, they likely found that they'd have to censor far too much to even bother localizing, so the idea was either scrapped or (more likely) never on the table, to begin with.

Actually it never got outside of Japan because it did horribly in terms of sales.

Thats not always a death sentence for a game, and i havent heard people really requesting for him as a playable character in smash. I think acknowledgement is what people are looking for in Nintendos lesser games, since smash more than anything is a celebration of the Nintendo brand.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Snagrio

Tsuchinoko wrote:

WingedSnagret wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

FishieFish wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

A character in a Japan exclusive Wii game that had a bunch of Nintendo characters in it.

Aaaaand THANK YOU! For demonstrating exactly why this game wasn't localized to NA (or EU, for that matter)

Aside from rainbows being associated with flamboyant gayness, in the West, the transgender jokes with Birdo would've been considered "too edgy" in the US, and may have even gotten the game banned, in some countries. In the end, they likely found that they'd have to censor far too much to even bother localizing, so the idea was either scrapped or (more likely) never on the table, to begin with.

Actually it never got outside of Japan because it did horribly in terms of sales.

Thats not always a death sentence for a game, and i havent heard people really requesting for him as a playable character in smash. I think acknowledgement is what people are looking for in Nintendos lesser games, since smash more than anything is a celebration of the Nintendo brand.

I never said anything about Captain Rainbow not having a chance (though my doubts are nonetheless very high for his case), just stating why he's Japan only. In fact there was going to be a European port but it got cancelled due to the aforementioned abysmal sales in the homeland (not sure about a US version).

As for lesser games getting a chance for representation, Xenoblade I believe has a good chance of appearing with Shulk being in the roster. He's been consistently high on request lists in Japan, and has a sizable following all around.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

shingi_70

Captian Rainbow didn't get out because.

1. Sales in Japan were pretty terrible
2. Nintendo probably didn't want controversy of putting out a game that lapoons the LGBT community,
3. Cap Rainbow was in a series of games that didn't loclized due to reasons even if Nintendo's software slate could have used them.

I can understand not bringing the game over since the industry is still young and honestly most developers are only good at making Nathan Drake archetypes. Not to say that's a bad thing, as in the past 10 years or so the industry has made alot of strides in charcter work and not being hella embarrassing

Out of the big mediums we're probably still the worst when it comes to writing LGBT and Minority characters in general.

Anyway back on topic Will bbe a tad bit suprised if we don't see bayonetta and someone from Xenoblade in the game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Tsuchinoko

WingedSnagret wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

WingedSnagret wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

FishieFish wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

I never said anything about Captain Rainbow not having a chance (though my doubts are nonetheless very high for his case), just stating why he's Japan only. In fact there was going to be a European port but it got cancelled due to the aforementioned abysmal sales in the homeland (not sure about a US version).

As for lesser games getting a chance for representation, Xenoblade I believe has a good chance of appearing with Shulk being in the roster. He's been consistently high on request lists in Japan, and has a sizable following all around.

I know what you meant, and I'm agreeing with you. I do think it wouldn't be good to have a character like him on the roster, but it is always satisfying when Nintendo references their lesser known efforts in any capacity no?
I didnt get a chance to play Xenoblade, but from what I've seen Shulk would make a fine addition, and having a following in multiple regions gives him a good chance.

Tsuchinoko

shingi_70 wrote:

Captian Rainbow didn't get out because.

1. Sales in Japan were pretty terrible
2. Nintendo probably didn't want controversy of putting out a game that lapoons the LGBT community,
3. Cap Rainbow was in a series of games that didn't loclized due to reasons even if Nintendo's software slate could have used them.

I can understand not bringing the game over since the industry is still young and honestly most developers are only good at making Nathan Drake archetypes. Not to say that's a bad thing, as in the past 10 years or so the industry has made alot of strides in charcter work and not being hella embarrassing

Out of the big mediums we're probably still the worst when it comes to writing LGBT and Minority characters in general.

Anyway back on topic Will bbe a tad bit suprised if we don't see bayonetta and someone from Xenoblade in the game.

Im gay and i dont feel like it lampooned the gay or transgender communities at all. There are games which i do feel a bit offended by, the GTA games for example, the 5th one being particularly bad.

SheldonRandoms

I was wondering why you people were talking about Captain Rainbow, and then I went back a page XD

Perhaps that can be a costume/skin/whatever for Little Mac. As for Captain Rainbow, sure, add in him Sakurai, the more the merrier.

(And hopefully somebody translates Captain Rainbow one of these days, so I can play it :I)

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Tsuchinoko

SheldonRandoms wrote:

I was wondering why you people were talking about Captain Rainbow, and then I went back a page XD

Perhaps that can be a costume/skin/whatever for Little Mac. As for Captain Rainbow, sure, add in him Sakurai, the more the merrier.

(And hopefully somebody translates Captain Rainbow one of these days, so I can play it :I)

I feel like there must be a fan translation, even just subbed video clips. Feels like everything has one nowadays, even a bad one. Haha

SheldonRandoms

@Tsuchinoko Yeah, there is one, maybe i'll get to experience Captain Rainbow after all XD

"A mix between Captain Falcon, Yatterman and hallucinatory mushroom's effects, it's him, the fabulous Captain Rainbow!"

^That's a perfect description of him I guess XD

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

shingi_70

@Tsuchinoko

Haven't played the game myself but I was mostly referring to how the game dealt with Birdo. I wouldn't be surprised to find that alot of the transgender community wouldn't find that funny.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Snagrio

Whenever I hear Captain Rainbow, I instantly think of Captain Planet.

Ugh...

Snagrio

Tsuchinoko

shingi_70 wrote:

@Tsuchinoko

Haven't played the game myself but I was mostly referring to how the game dealt with Birdo. I wouldn't be surprised to find that alot of the transgender community wouldn't find that funny.

As im not transgender (but have transgender friends here in japan), i feel like the difference is in the intent and presentation. Birdo and the genderless characters in Mother 3 are fantasy characters, but as is particularly the case in Mother 3, they are presented as being a part of the world they live in, and not looked down upon. I think thats the same reason why a lot of the GLBT characters in Final Fantasy games actually get positive critiques from gays. The transgender characters in GTAV are are just beyond ridiculous as offensive stereotypes . But I dont think anyone could take Birdo seriously, as its not even a human character, and more than anything i feel the game is making fun of the weird anatomy of characters like Yoshi and Birdo who couldn't possibly exist in real life. Yoshi makes eggs at a moments notice from things he eats? Birdo shoots eggs out of its mouth? Its not anything we would worry about.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

cookiex

WingedSnagret wrote:

Ugh...

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Snagrio

cookiex wrote:

WingedSnagret wrote:

Ugh...

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

I knew it was only a matter of time. -_-

Darn hippie show.

Snagrio

Snagrio

Also, while on the subject of stereotypes and offensive feelings, I can't help but be a little at odds with the fat Little Mac thing. He, despite originating in Japan, is undeniably an American character. And the fact that he's fat in that game seems to lend itself to the stereotype of fat Americans (though sadly it is a fact that many in this country are overweight).

But of course since we're American so everyone else is "allowed" to poke fun at us.

In the end though I believe people in general get way too offended way too easily anymore, so I'll leave things be.

Snagrio

Tsuchinoko

WingedSnagret wrote:

Also, while on the subject of stereotypes and offensive feelings, I can't help but be a little at odds with the fat Little Mac thing. He, despite originating in Japan, is undeniably an American character. And the fact that he's fat in that game seems to lend itself to the stereotype of fat Americans (though sadly it is a fact that many in this country are overweight).

But of course since we're American so everyone else is "allowed" to poke fun at us.

In the end though I believe people in general get way too offended way too easily anymore, so I'll leave things be.

Haha i think its more because he's the "fitness" guy, more than him being American.

Arg, I'm wanting so much new info about this game! Even though i only am getting the 3ds version (i really think I'm done with home consoles, my partner not being a video game person in the slightest is partially a factor in that), I'm curious about both versions equally.

EDIT: also remember, this is the Internet. You're linked up with people from all over the world. There's this strange phenomenon where many Americans forget that and talk inclusively as though they were in a room and everyone else is assumed to be American as well. I see it a lot actually. This site especially is one to be careful on, since I believe it originates from the UK, even though the staff now are from many different countries.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf

@Tsuchinoko I get what you mean, but at the same time, I'm used to boards teeming with UK, Australia, Canadian, Carribean, AND US reps, so I'm not really a stranger to assuming on a global scale. I really only get awkward around German and Japanese reps, as I admire both cultures and want to learn more about them. I suppose it gets weird, as I don't think most people enjoy being asked about things that are second nature to them.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Jazzer94

Tsuchinoko wrote:

SheldonRandoms wrote:

I feel like there must be a fan translation, even just subbed video clips. Feels like everything has one nowadays, even a bad one. Haha

I actually played the Japanese version myself with the help of my friend Ryo who translated the gist of what was happening into english twas an interesting experience to say the least.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

UGXwolf

Drawing out of thin air isn't really an issue at all. They typically have somewhere to start with, but it's not impossible. And besides, there are many better reasons to not add him, like his Japan-only status or his poor sales, maybe?

Yoshi

UGXwolf wrote:

Drawing out of thin air isn't really an issue at all. They typically have somewhere to start with, but it's not impossible. And besides, there are many better reasons to not add him, like his Japan-only status or his poor sales, maybe?

Japan only status? Mother 3 says hello. Poor sales and Japan only status? Definitely the reason.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

UGXwolf

brewsky wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Japan only status? Mother 3 says hello. Poor sales and Japan only status? Definitely the reason.

Fair point, but I doubt "poor sales" implies the same number for either game.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic