Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 5,441 to 5,460 of 27,917

UGXwolf

OdnetninAges wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

OdnetninAges wrote:

@UGXwolf

It's simple: People who only have a 3DS will not buy a Wii U for Smash Bros. when there is one on 3DS with the same characters.
I have two friends who are only getting the 3DS version because they don't have a Wii U.

Yes, but that seems more likely the exception than the rule. That's what the 3DS version is for, IMO: pulling in sales they may not have otherwise gotten. Besides, two friends, much like everyone I play Smash with, is hardly a good survey group. They're too small and far too biased to make a good argument. Even so, I just don't feel that the 3DS version poses a real threat to the Wii U version's sales.

To be clear, they aren't biased. They want a Wii U, but they can't afford one.

The same goes for me, but I know I'll have one by the time the games come out.

To be clear, I'm using "biased" from a statistics standpoint. They have enough in common to render the fact that they aren't the same person statistically arbitrary. Same as most of the people I talk to are hardcore and/or competitive, so their individual opinions are statistically arbitrary.

On that note, it sounds lije they had no intentions of getting a Wii U due to low budgets. This means tge Wii U version isn't losing sales, as they wouldn't have gotten it, anyways.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Snagrio

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I'm actually kinda upset that there is a 3DS version. Not that I won't buy/play it or anything, Smash on the go sounds awesome, but it's more of the fact that the Wii U system will be cannibalized by its portable counterpart. Yes, there will be people who buy a Wii U specifically for Smash, but at the same time many won't even bother since there's also a version (with the exact same roster no less) on a system they most likely already have.

The system is barely alive as is, and to have one of the biggest games nerfed sales-wise like that isn't going to help.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Dark-Luigi

I peronsality love it on 3DS. You guys do realize how much a Wii U cost right? Not a lot of people can afford that much money obviously. That way it wouldn't be far if it only can come to one system. So, anyone can be a winner.

The Green Thunder Strikes Like Lightning!
My Intro. <- Made it mysel...

Switch Friend Code: SW-0430-1213-7546 | 3DS Friend Code: 0516-7864-0671 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkGreenThunder

DefHalan

Dark-Luigi wrote:

I peronsality love it on 3DS. You guys do realize how much a Wii U cost right? Not a lot of people can afford that much money obviously. That way it wouldn't be far if it only can come to one system. So, anyone can be a winner.

Yes but I think that is why people are disappointed it isn't a Wii U exclusive. If Smash was a Wii U exclusive then people would have to buy a Wii U to play it, growing the install base and possibly getting the Wii U out of a rut. With it being on 3DS it has the possibility to make people feel the 3DS version might be good enough (like people that only had a Wii and still wanted Call of Duty, the Wii Call of Duty was probably good enough just to get the basic experience). There are differences but it stays a fear for people. I think they might make the Wii U version a timed exclusive. Launching the Wii U version in September and waiting for the 3DS version until December or January might be a smart move. Or even pulling a Monster Hunter 3U with its onliine mode. Online comes with the Wii U version or you can download a relay on Wii U that allows you to play the 3DS online if close enough to your Wii U. Just a few ideas/opinions

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Tsuchinoko

Im happy there is a 3ds version. I have no plans at all to get a WiiU, and am part of a growing trend in japan where home consoles are just too big, too expensive, and kind of a pain. I think the fact that that the 3ds is such a moneymaker, and the system more people have, is the reason why that version exists. Its the same reason Monster Hunter is currently a 3ds series first.
I also think they are concerned about the WiiU audience feeling alienated, which is why the two versions have different stages and trophies.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

UGXwolf

Okay, no. This conversation has taken a turn for outright fear-mongerimg.

The majority of people getting the 3DS version would be people who, like @Tsuchinoko, had no plans on getting a Wii U, and many of whom wouldn't get a Wii U just for Smash. There will be some lost Wii U sales over this, but not enough to rightfully cause so much panic or distaste for the 3DS version.

What people are alsi gonna have to realize is that it is not Sakurai's, Sora LTD's, or Namco's job to make the Wii U sell. It's their job to make Smash 4 sell, and the 3DS version will help it do that.

I also fear that comments like @DefHalen 's and @Guitardude7 's reek far too much of sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. The Wii U's sales are not your responsibility. You're reacting as if you developed it, and not as if you bought it. The Wii U is getting the definitive version. You shouls be glad. Not throwing a fit over the 3DS getting a lesser version.

I'm terribly sorry, if this sounds like an attack, but I can't stand people whining over someone else getting a chance to play your game. The 3DS version will likely /enhance/ the game. Not hinder it. I, for one, will be getting both versions. I am excited for both of these. I'm not saying you should be, too, but this has gotten ridiculous.

DefHalan

@UGXwolf
I was just expressing an opinion on how the Wii U could be affected by the 3DS version as far as sales. Personally I am getting both the Wii U version and 3DS version. Probably the Wii U version first but at some point both versions

kkslider5552000

If I was Nintendo, I would probably release the 3DS version later, just in case.

For those wondering if that would hurt the 3DS version, Nintendo doesn't need to put nearly as much into promoting 3DS games considering how the game to get the 3DS as the top selling gaming system was a remake of DKCR that was announced 3 months before. And honestly advertising a game twice could be even more advertising for the Wii U version, so they should advertise both versions despite that. And Smash Bros is being considered such a large and important release that Nintendo could probably justify advertising it again later.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

UGXwolf

Guitardude7 wrote:

@UGXwolf It's not fear mongering. it's fact. And if you don't think this will hurt Wii U sales then you're naive and blind. I'm getting both versions personally but the general public wont. And I dont appreciate the condescending nature of your comments sir, you're acting as if you know everything. I'm not trying to stir up peoples fears, I'm being realistic.

You literally just told me why this isn't an issue for you. I'm getting both. You're getting both. @DefHalen is getting both. Why does it matter if the Wii U sales take a minor cut because there's a 3DS version. Who do you think was going to buy the Wii U just for Smash, anyways? The people that won't be satisfied with a 3DS version. It's not fact, it's speculation, and hardly even good speculation, at that. You want realism? Realism is that Smash wouldn't "save" the Wii U, anyways. A doomed console is a doomed console, and if you think the Wii U is doomed, one game isn't gonna change that.

Essentially, I'm annoyed because you're getting mad over 3DS users who never had an intention of getting a Wii U /regardless/ of Smash being on it or not, getting a chance to play Smash, too. Besides, if Sakurai's clever, he'll use the 3DS version to promote the Wii U version, and not to hurt it. It's more about game design than the public. After all, the public will do as it pleases, regardless. If the game they want isn't on their system, do they go out and buy the system it's on? Not usually, no. They just complain and petition for it to be on their system, regardless of how unlikely that is.

Short version: There's no use worrying about it. It's not going to hurt Wii U sales nearly as much as you think it is.

Also, @DefHalen I was more referring to the kind of opinion you were talking about. It reeks so much of worrying about things that really don't concern you. Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U. They're not gonna drop it for AT LEAST three more years, and even that's a bit of a short estimate. You shouldn't need to worry that the system won't still get good games. Worst case scenario, things stay as they've been for the past 13 months. The trickle of games will be slow, but the quality will be high, and Nintendo will survive into the next console generation.

Edited on by UGXwolf

DefHalan

@UGXwolf
People like to follow the gaming industry's trends. People are also concerned about their investments. A console purchase is an investment as you are investing your money into a product that will, hopefully, deliver the entertainment you want. If the Wii U sales pick up then that is good. I don't think anyone is saying 3DS owners shouldn't have the option to buy the game, most of us are saying if it was Wii U exclusive it could boost sales a lot. If you don't want to think or worry about Wii U sales and how that can affect your gaming then don't but some of us actually enjoy analysing this kinda of stuff and talk about it. So sorry if I offended you but I like to talk about this stuff.

Blast

I'm getting both versions and I'm pretty sure the 3DS version is gonna come wayyy later after the Wii U version. The 3DS doesn't even need this game. I finally agree with the people who say the 3DS version shouldn't even exist. Let the Wii U have this as an exclusive.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

UGXwolf

DefHalan wrote:

@UGXwolf
People like to follow the gaming industry's trends. People are also concerned about their investments. A console purchase is an investment as you are investing your money into a product that will, hopefully, deliver the entertainment you want. If the Wii U sales pick up then that is good. I don't think anyone is saying 3DS owners shouldn't have the option to buy the game, most of us are saying if it was Wii U exclusive it could boost sales a lot. If you don't want to think or worry about Wii U sales and how that can affect your gaming then don't but some of us actually enjoy analysing this kinda of stuff and talk about it. So sorry if I offended you but I like to talk about this stuff.

Thaaaaat's not quite what I'm saying. What I'm saying isn't that I don't want to think about how the sales could affect my gaming, but short of them dropping to 0, it can't hurt the quality or frequency of Wii titles, as is. It's already running almost entirely on 1st party support, and Nintendo's focus has been on the 3DS, this whole time, anyways. I'm having a blast with the games I've been getting, and I understand not everyone can make Donkey Kong last as long as I can, but the fact is, the 3DS version WON'T hurt sales enough to where things get any worse on the Wii U.

My point is, it's a given that Nintendo will support the system. No amount of 3DS ports or similarities between ports will change that, and believe it or not, the general public DOES care how a game controls. That's the main reason CoD is so popular, while Doom remains a niche game. The 3DS WILL NOT hurt the Wii U sales any more than it already has been, and the fact of the matter is that that's just fine, because as consumers, we're still getting what we want out of this system: Smash 4 Wii U.

I'm just saying that this sounds very heavily like hate for the 3DS version based on it potentially stealing customers away (that were never planning on getting a Wii U, anyways, mind you) and it's really getting to my nerves.

DefHalan

@UGXwolf
So you don't think if Smash 4 was exclusive to Wii U that it would help the Wii U more than it coming to both 3DS and Wii U?

Nintendaholic

does anyone else think that this game is going to destroy their 3ds? if you playas aggressively as i do i can only imagine the circle pad and buttons are going to take a beating everytime i play. so i am going to buy a 2DS specifically for smash.

3ds fc:5112-3427-3255
wii u id: nintendaholic

Blast

You know what? Now that I think even more about it... the 3DS really shouldn't even have this game. The 3DS DESERVES it but it SHOULD NOT HAVE IT!!!! The 3DS is doing fine! It doesn't need this game as badly as the Wii U does!!!

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

To all those wondering if the 3DS can even handle the intensity of the combat via controls....
This game is being made by NINTENDO.
SAKURAI IS BEHIND THIS GAME.
They wouldn't let the 3DS version suffer.
Its gonna be top notch.
The 3DS version shouldn't even freaking exist but even I know its gonna be high in quality.

Master of the Hype Train

Nintendaholic

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Nintendaholic You know, that's actually a very valid point. Smash Bros games have a reputation of being intense and require fast button mashing. Can 3DS systems even handle that?

thats exactly what i was wondering! the top screen is going to flop all around and the hinge will eventually break

3ds fc:5112-3427-3255
wii u id: nintendaholic

SheldonRandoms

There should be a demo, so we can get a taste and truly know

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Blast

SheldonRandoms wrote:

There should be a demo, so we can get a taste and truly know

A demo for a Nintendo game on Eshop? LOL that's not happening.
Kid Icarus: Uprising's first chapter was perfect for a demo... but it didn't get one.
Luigi's Mansion 2's first mission was also perfect for a demo... but it didn't get one.
LOL Nintendo will never put a demo for their game on Eshop.

Master of the Hype Train

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic