Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 5,281 to 5,300 of 27,917

MrWalkieTalkie

Are you like me? Do stay up at night wondering if Japanese users on Miiverse are as demanding, annoying, and bratty as us American users? Well wonder no longer for someone has translated a handful of reactions from Japanese Miiverse users regarding the reveal of newcomer, Little Mac!

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-lit...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

SomeBitTripFan

Rules of the Smash Roster:

Rule #1: Anyone and anything, as long as Sakurai is willing to put it in the game, can and will be put in the game.

Rule #2: Your opinion has little weight, but combined with many others it can.

Rule #3: Even then Sakurai calls the shots.

Rule #4: If Sakurai wants something in Smash, it will be there regardless of size, state, and whining "fans".

Rule #5: Sakurai does try to preserve canon elements to character.

Rule #6: Arguing like it's personal solves nothing. Argue in a friendly fashion if necessary, as if to see Sakurai's thought process on the matter.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

SheldonRandoms

"I’m not as mad as I am dumbfounded. These character choices are such a joke"

"Are they even taking these character rosters seriously?"

"I’m honestly disappointed. I holding on to hope that you’ll actually pick some popular characters, Sakurai"

Untitled

Haters gonna hate Japan, because the man from the Bronx is in, and is ready to punch-out!!

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms

I wonder how they'll react if Mike Jones was announced as a playable character. I still remember my reaction to Marth and Roy when Melee was still the new Smash Bros.

"Wow, these guys look cool, I wonder where they came from? Because I would be interested in playing some of there games"

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

FriedSquid

Hm, that's interesting, having Little Mac in there even though he's not popular in Japan. That reminds me... who the heck is Lucas anyways? He's just some wimpy kid with dumb hair that is basically a clone of Ness. I will never play is him.

... is what I said when I first saw Lucas in Brawl with no prior knowledge of him. Now he's my best character by far.

Like someone said in that link before, it's funny how gamers are still just as entitled over there as they are here, more or less.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

SheldonRandoms

Super Smash Bros. is a game for everyone in the world, not just Japan.

Tsuchinoko

Guys we get it. Can we leave the japan thing alone as its close to getting a little offensive

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

2Sang

After watching some gameplay and the the cutscenes of DKTF, along with that image of the easter egg of King K. Rool, I think it's clear that Dixie Kong is going to definitely be in and King K Rool may or may have a chance still.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Again, I'm not saying it can't happen. I just feel there are far more characters that are far more deserving. And Wii Fit Trainer, while not exactly a fighter, makes sense. Her move set was pulled entirely from Wii Fit (and possibly Wii Fit U) and actually works as an attack-based move set. She's an odd choice, to be sure, and I can't say she's the most deserving one, but her attacks make sense. Same goes for Villager. All of Villager's attacks are pulled from Animal Crossing, aside from the Balloon Fighter recovery. Some of them are given a fair amount of creative license, of course (like a rocketing Gyroid you can ride one), but even his normal attacks all suit him. That is to say, he appears to fight almost on accident. Some of his attacks involve him tripping or falling on people, and others, you kinda just happened to be in the way.

Captain Falcon AS I SAID was inspired mostly by the comic strips he was featured in. (I believe.) He's never actually shown doing... well... anything, in game. But as I recall, the game came with a short manga or comic, at some point that had some of these things.

On top of that, the important thing about Fox and Captain Falcon's move sets is that they MAKE SENSE for those characters. Captain Falcon was always all about speed, even with his stats in F-Zero. Punching so hard or kicking so fast that his body catches fire just suits him. And Fox is a space pilot, and a freelancer in aerial combat. His team is unofficial, so he needed something to attack and defend with in his normal environment. Laser pistol? Check. Reflector to shoot back energy beams? Check. Jet pack? Why not. His melees are, of course, a basic set, but they suit his fast-paced fighting style.

What would Balloon Fighter's style be? And more importantly, what kind of attacks would suit it? Since he has no apparent personality, for the most part, he becomes a blank slate. At that point, IMO, he may as well just be a Mii with balloons attached to his head. But that's just me. If you think of anything or know something I don't, feel free to correct me.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

SomeBitTripFan

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Are you like me? Do stay up at night wondering if Japanese users on Miiverse are as demanding, annoying, and bratty as us American users? Well wonder no longer for someone has translated a handful of reactions from Japanese Miiverse users regarding the reveal of newcomer, Little Mac!

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-lit...

It seems there are whiny Smash "fans" everywhere. My favorite responce was:

"Who gains anything from including characters like this nobody wants?"

Seriously, Brawl's newcomers were fairly random also. Little Mac has more relevance in Smash 4 than Pit has in Brawl. Little Mac had stared in both the arcade and home console versions of Punch Out!! and Super Punch Out!! (technically 4 games) to Pit's two (Kid Icarus and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters). Who gains anything from including characters nobody wants? A character you didn't know you wanted (Pit is insanely popular in Japan isn't he? Or at least in that poll) and renewed interest in classic Nintendo series. I have to say, Sakurai's "joke roster" as so many people are calling it, has put the spotlight on quite a few other series. Heck, the inclusion of "characters nobody wants" in the Smash Roster has shaped Nintendo for the better. Thank Smash for Fire Emblem in the West, the Kid Icarus revival, more backers for Earthbound's eShop release. In my opinion, whatever the Smash Roster is, it's going to be far better than what other people are cooking up, just for the results of its roster inclusions.

Edited on by SomeBitTripFan

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

SheldonRandoms

If Sakurai's roster "is a joke", then everybody's a clown then, because the roster is looking swell right about now.

UGXwolf

I think we can all agree: We're all silly for thinking our opinions have any weight on what Sakurai wants to put on the game and even sillier for assuming that our logic processes explain perfectly why any character would ever be added. The Japanese Miiverse posts are proof that not everyone is gonna be happy. So why should he waste his time appeasing anyone, when most of us (myself included) will just suck it up and enjoy the game, anyways?

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

I think we can all agree: We're all silly for thinking our opinions have any weight on what Sakurai wants to put on the game and even sillier for assuming that our logic processes explain perfectly why any character would ever be added. The Japanese Miiverse posts are proof that not everyone is gonna be happy. So why should he waste his time appeasing anyone, when most of us (myself included) will just suck it up and enjoy the game, anyways?

Great comment!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

SheldonRandoms

IT'S NOT THE GAME ON THE OUTSIDE THAT COUNTS, BUT IT'S THE GAME ON THE INSIDE THAT DOES!!!!!!!!!

And now that I look at it, but aren't we the same way towards characters we don't know when we see them there, just there minding their own business? (I still support Takamaru and Sukapon though, they should be in the game, and those HD graphics would work wonders on Sukapon!!! XD)

MegaStoneSmash91

I think the roster is looking great as well. Considering the unannounced returning characters, as well as the many others still unknown, we've got quite the All Star line-up going here. I'm just as excited to take the new characters for a spin as I am to see the new tweaks and changes made to old favorites. I should think many fans of the series would have a similar attitude towards the games. Sometimes I'm not too sure, though, since people seem to complain about everything.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

SheldonRandoms

@MegaStoneSmash91 Don't worry, that's what keeps balance in the world, people compiling about everything XD

SomeBitTripFan

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

I think Reggie being in the new Smash Bros is silly. Kevin Butler wasn't in Playstation All-Stars, so why Reggie?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but Nintendo=/=Sony, so there isn't any real logic to it. Besides, Kevin Butler is just a character for commercials (and E3), Reggie actually works for the company. Something tells me it's cheaper to use the name and appearance of someone in a product when they work for the company using their appearance, versus an actor.

Just Someloggery

SheldonRandoms

If SSB4 has an original character, then they should make it based on Reggie.

.......Oh, that sounds like an idea. What if there was an original playable character for the game? (Probably would had worked best if there was a story mode).

UGXwolf

I'm bored, so allow me to make a case for...

Untitled
Untitled

LLOYD IRVING!!!

Starting with the dead obvious, Namco is working with Sora LTD (Sakurai) on Smash 4 Wii U/3DS. So why shouldn't Namco get a rep? Only thing is... I really don't want Pac-man playable. (As I said before, I'd suck it up, if he was, but my opinions and wishes still stand!) So the real question I have to answer is simple. Why Lloyd?

Well, starting with the situational, Lloyd is a very likely character from the start. Did you know that when Sakurai went to Namco Bandai asking for developers, he specifically asked for the Tales team series producer, Yoshito Higuchi, and any of his team he wished to bring with him. This wound up bringing in members from Tekken Tag Team, Mobil Suit Gundam, Soul Calibur, and Ridge Racer, as well as, of course, members of the Tales Team. It's also worth noting that Smash Bros' entire fighting system may have been at least partially influenced by that of Tales of Phantasia!

So why Lloyd? Shouldn't that point to Cless, the protagonist of Tales of Phantasia? Why, yes. Yes, it should. Except Tales of Phantasia never received a proper release outside of Japan on a Nintendo system. Tales of Symphonia, however, saw two. On top of this, Lloyd was the go-to Tales character with the Soul Calibur team wanted a character to add to Soul Calibur Legends, and he's actually fairly popular in the US.

Now, you may use my own arguments against me, here, pointing out that I've used the Japanese fanbase for Wolf and Jiggs to justify them coming back. I would've given up, here, until...

Untitled

Little Mac! A Western favorite for Smash with little to no Japanese following (according to Miiverse) was announced as a playable character! This means that Sakurai is considering the West at least as much as he is the Japanese fanbase. This is very promising for US fans and for Lloyd, as Lloyd is easily the most recognizable Tales rep that's connected to Nintendo in any way. (Globally, of course, as Japan, from what I've heard, recognized Cless far better.)

What about moves?!?

Pfft... he has plenty! He can even incorporate more than just four basic moves. For instance, a down-air might result in Rising Falcon, or forward-smash could become Sonic Thrust or Beast. (Raging Beast?) Tempest (Omega Tempest) could be his recovery or Rising Phoenix could be and Tempest would be left as his neutral air. One of his combo attacks, like Raining Tiger Blade could be his jab-combo/finisher. And what better for a down-special than Guardian? A bit of a cop out, I guess, but it fits! Double Demon Fang would be his neutral special, and just about anything else could be pulled straight from this Tales of Symphonia moveset. He even comes pre-packaged with a Final Smash (Mystic Arte)!

So, come on! Let's see some love for Namco's best dual bladed swordsman (IMO)! Who's with me?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic