Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 4,641 to 4,660 of 27,917

UGXwolf

Ok @shinpichu Yes, that second group shot looks better. That said, Samus is taller in Smash 4, IIRC. Not much shorter than Bowser at all. While Olimar (saw someone bring him up again) doesn't have a character to size comparison (well, other than ROB, but there was a giant ROB in Smash), Ridley does. Even if you assume the Melee ratio, he's still the biggest character in the game with puff ball status (multi-jump, I mean) and probably the longest range.

And no, I'm not saying smaller things can't be intimidating. I'm saying Ridley isn't intimidating, when he's hardly any bigger than Samus. And the problem with bringing up the first Metroid, and especially with relying on it as your main argument is that Ridley was only that small because he couldn't be any bigger. The NES had a sprite size limit far smaller than that of the SNES, and as such, Ridley couldn't have been much taller than he was. On the other hand, the one on SNES was their first chance to make Ridley as big as they wanted him, and they haven't entirely gone back, at any point.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

shinpichu

UGXwolf wrote:

Ok @shinpichu Yes, that second group shot looks better. That said, Samus is taller in Smash 4, IIRC. Not much shorter than Bowser at all. While Olimar (saw someone bring him up again) doesn't have a character to size comparison (well, other than ROB, but there was a giant ROB in Smash), Ridley does. Even if you assume the Melee ratio, he's still the biggest character in the game with puff ball status (multi-jump, I mean) and probably the longest range.

You wanna know who does have a character to "size comparison" with? Ganondorf.
Untitled
Bowser too.
Untitled
Yet neither of them are nearly that big in Smash.

Also, I doubt being big would somehow make Ridley be OP. He'll probably end up with a lot of sluggish attacks, which would leave him open to attack. He may or may not also be vulnerable to projectile camping.

And no, I'm not saying smaller things can't be intimidating. I'm saying Ridley isn't intimidating, when he's hardly any bigger than Samus.

But him not being intimidating when he's only slightly bigger than Samus implies that things need to be big in order to be intimidating. Otherwise, a cunning, ruthless, flying, fire-breathing space dragon should be intimidating regardless of what size he is.

And the problem with bringing up the first Metroid, and especially with relying on it as your main argument is that Ridley was only that small because he couldn't be any bigger. The NES had a sprite size limit far smaller than that of the SNES, and as such, Ridley couldn't have been much taller than he was. On the other hand, the one on SNES was their first chance to make Ridley as big as they wanted him, and they haven't entirely gone back, at any point.

Actually, Ridley's size has changed quite a bit over the years, even within games. Compare him in this cutscene in MP3:
Untitled
To his fight later in the same game:
Untitled
I honestly don't think it can be said that Ridley has any canon/intended size. Like other Nintendo villains, he takes on whatever size/proportion he needs for any given situation.

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

Jazzer94

Personally I really hope Snake returns or Big Boss as his moveset was one of the most unique and fun to play as.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Snagrio

I don't mind either way if Ridley ends up playable or not, but it would quite satisfying if the former happened just so everyone who used the done to absolute death "size argument" can eat their words.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Blast

WingedSnagret wrote:

What's with all the Pac-Man hate?

LOL Classic Pac-Man was the best Pac-Man. Look at him now. LOL

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DudeSean

@shinpichu Seeing your comparison shots, it really points out that the problem with his size isn't his height, it's just his size in general. He's skinny, but also lanky. His head and wings both stick out. He's big, not because he's tall, but just because he's so spread out. So, yeah, using your comparison shot, I say he's too big. Not too tall, just too big in general. He's as wide as at least three characters.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

DudeSean

@shinpichu Look at your comparison picture. From his tail / wings to his head he spans the width of Olimar, Samus, Mario and Ganondorf. And there's some space between them. If they were next to each other, that makes Ridley as wide as four characters. He's too big, man. I know you're adamant about the whole scaling down thing, but it's not his height that's the problem. He's just too big overall. In order for them to scale down his width, he'd be even shorter than Samus. Or, the only other option, is create an entirely new look for Ridley but then it won't even be Ridley. It'll just be some character who looks kinda like Ridley and has Ridley's name.

I'm sorry, man. I'm just not convinced. I stand by my original statement. He's too big.

DudeSean

shinpichu

@DudeSean
Honestly, he's not that much wider than Bowser.

The wings wouldn't be that much of an issue because they'd be spread along the Z-Axis, so they wouldn't factor into gameplay.

And I fas speaking specifically of making his wings smaller.

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

DudeSean

In your comparison pic, bowser's width is ~490 pixels. Ridley is ~555 pixels. Quite a bit wider.

DudeSean

DefHalan

I am just wondering, if Ridley was in brawl what would his attacks be? His 3 Smash attacks and his 4 Special Attacks? How would his jumping work? Like Kirby, being able to jump multiple times? Or would his Wings be used for his up B? How would he work, while keeping everything unique and working with other Smash characters. I am just curious if people have thought about how he will work or if it is more of an impulse, "Hey this guy would be awesome, but I will let someone else figure out how it works."

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

concerndoge

I agree with the entire thread that having Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros would be cool.

SSB 3DS: 2380-5008-7036

Toad160

The whole Ridley's size thing has never been an issue for me. He got his death sentence when he became a boss in Brawl. I could see him possibly being an assist trophy, though.

Edited on by Toad160

Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon X, Percy's Predicament, NES Remix
Instagram: thegreatmerlon
3DS FC: 0173-1806-9449

DefHalan

Would people be against Assist Trophies that created a type of mini-game action for a small amount of time? Nothing too crazy, as on the gameplay stays the same, but like a Ridley Assist Trophy could cause Ridley to fly up taking everyone to a different location where they are falling and have to beat up Ridley for a small amount of time (like the sequence in Prime 3 but not FPS or anything like that) and if Ridley is defeated no one takes damage from Ridley but if he isn't defeated the person who activated him is the only one that doesn't take damage? Crazy Idea. Don't think they would do it but would people be open to that?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Shirma_Akayaku

Ah, quick question. In the last page (256), since there were size comparisons, I've been wondering if Rosalina is taller than Samus (& possibly Bowser). Is Rosalina just under Bowser's height or Ridley's? I'll assume it's Bowser since he's shorter than Ridley.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

UGXwolf

Rosalina wrote:

Ah, quick question. In the last page (256), since there were size comparisons, I've been wondering if Rosalina is taller than Samus (& possibly Bowser). Is Rosalina just under Bowser's height or Ridley's? I'll assume it's Bowser since he's shorter than Ridley.

Off the top of my head, Rosalina's getting her Mario Kart height, rather than her 3D World or Galaxy height. This means she's about as tall as Bowser and Samus. I think Bowser>Rosalina>Samus, but I'm not entirely sure.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JakeOfAllTrades

I want DLC Characters and Stages!

Go ahead and play, it's okay.

3DS Friend Code: 1032-2563-3798 | Nintendo Network ID: AlphaGamer10

Pit-Stain

JakeOfAllTrades wrote:

Despite my love for DLC, I still don't think it'd be a good idea. Games like Smash Bros. must always be complete.

Pit-Stain

Jazzer94

JakeOfAllTrades wrote:

Smash has never needed dlc in the past and I don't think it should start now

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SheldonRandoms

I know that this is the 3DS version, but in the TV, does anyone see Ness and Lucas?
Untitled
Also, when did Sakurai get his own Smashbros. Miiverse website? (The top of the tab has his Mii picture)

JakeOfAllTrades wrote:

I would like that after the game is released. The game should be released complete and feel like it, then they can expand on that.

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic