Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 4,621 to 4,640 of 27,917

DudeSean

shinpichu wrote:

Your opinions stopped being worth considering when you revealed yourself as a Too Bigot.

lol. I disagree with you that Ridley should be playable so you call me a bigot? Putting me down doesn't make you right. How about instead of retorting with an insult (in your masked jokey way) you debate with me why you think Ridley should be playable?

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

shinpichu

DudeSean wrote:

shinpichu wrote:

Your opinions stopped being worth considering when you revealed yourself as a Too Bigot.

lol. I disagree with you that Ridley should be playable so you call me a bigot?

I never intended to imply that you are a bigot. "Too Bigot" is actually a pretty common name for Ridley detractors among certian Smash communities. Apologies if I offended you.

Putting me down doesn't make you right. How about instead of retorting with an insult (in your masked jokey way) you debate with me why you think Ridley should be playable?

Fair enough. I'm usually hesitant to debate Ridley detractors because most of them have already seen all of the compelling arguments for Ridley's inclusion yet remain unconvinced. I could mention how Ridley is the most important Metroid character after Samus, or how Ridley's size is inconsistent even within single games, or how there are plenty of other characters in Smash that have been scaled down(Bowser, Ganondorf) or up(Olimar). I could also mention that Sakurai has never explicitly stated that size was ever an issue. But IDK whether any of that will change your mind.

Edited on by shinpichu

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

DudeSean

shinpichu wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

shinpichu wrote:

lol. I disagree with you that Ridley should be playable so you call me a bigot?

I never intended to imply that you are a bigot. "Too Bigot" is actually a pretty common name for Ridley detractors among certian Smash communities. Apologies if I offended you.

Putting me down doesn't make you right. How about instead of retorting with an insult (in your masked jokey way) you debate with me why you think Ridley should be playable?

Fair enough. I'm usually hesitant to debate Ridley detractors because most of them have already seen all of the compelling arguments for Ridley's inclusion yet remain unconvinced. I could mention how Ridley is the most important Metroid character after Samus, or how Ridley's size is inconsistent even within single games, or how there are plenty of other characters in Smash that have been scaled down(Bowser, Ganondorf) or up(Olimar). I could also mention that Sakurai has never explicitly stated that size was ever an issue. But IDK whether any of that will change your mind.

Thank you. I appreciate your being nice.

Fair points. So, how big do you think Ridley should be? Because, yeah, I do feel like Ridley would look too weird if he were scaled down too much. Do you think he should be the size of Bowser, bigger, or smaller? What kind of attacks would Ridley have? Smash Bros. is mostly made up of characters who have a wide variety of attacks, usually half of which are physical attacks, but Ridley usually just flies and breathes fire. I don't see how to make a moveset out of that. It just seems to me that Ridley would be much better suited to either a stage hazard or an assist trophy, so he can retain his usual size and they won't have to try to make him into some weird Ridley who punches and kicks.

I understand that it would be nice to have another Metroid character in Smash Bros., but I'm not too upset by her being a loner in the game. I mean, Samus has traditionally been a loner (it's only been in Other M and Prime 3 that she started hanging out with other people). I can't really think of a better character from Metroid to include in Smash. Personally I think a space pirate would work well (they'd have enough moves and be the right size) but there is no specific space pirate character that has stood out in a Metroid game as far as I know. I suppose one of the characters from Metroid Prime Hunters could work, but I'm not too familiar with them. I bought the game when it first came out, but I lost it years ago and so I haven't played it in a long time.

DudeSean

shinpichu

@DudeSean
Personally, I'd like it if Ridley were about as big as he were in the Melee intro:
Untitled
Add a tail, and I think that's a more than reasonable size.

And I don't think things have to be humongous to be intimidating. A fire-breathing space dragon will be scary no matter how big it is.

As for movesets, I'll freely admit I've never been good at coming up with movesets. However, there are more creative people than me who have come up with several workable(and detailed!) movesets for Ridley. You can find a bunch of them here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-ssb4-thread-obs...

Edited on by shinpichu

DudeSean

@shinpichu Yeah, I suppose the size in that picture would be alright. Still, I'd rather he be a stage hazard or assist trophy. I'll check out that link, though.

DudeSean

UGXwolf

@DudeSean Wow, that's an amusing uh... prediction... Ok, so:

53, off the bat, is a ridiculous number. Sakurai pointed out that he'd be trying to AVOID adding characters willy nilly, as the game would be extremely hard to balance, if he did. 53 would be insanely hard to balance.

With this in mind, let's check out your character selection. Mario seems to have nothing but good characters, and if the roster really WERE 53 characters, I'd call this a very likely pick. However, as stated, it probably won't be, so remove Bowser Jr. and it should be even. (Give him an assist trophy and we should be good.)

DK, again, has all very likely characters, and were the roster really this big, I'd agree with them all, but operating under the assumption that it won't be, you need to do one of three things: remove Dixie, remove King K. Rool, or combine Diddy and Dixie in a DKC2-style team. As anyone reading would already know, I much prefer the third option, but your prediction; your decision.

I'm surprised at the lack of new Zelda reps, but won't argue it.

I WILL however, argue the lack of Palutena. Leak aside, she's still an extremely likely character to join this game, considering her prominence in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Sakurai's connection with the new Kid Icarus game, she's the most likely candidate, and Kid Icarus most likely will get another candidate.

Kirby's fine.

Fire Emblem is not. No matter how much the community belly aches about Roy being removed, the reasons for his removal still apply: Ike and Marth handle all of Roy's most unique aspects just fine. He's got no more reason to be around. Even if you remove Ike, you've still got Marth and Roy and one other. That other is almost certainly Chrom, as he is the protagonist of the most recent, and rather successful Fire Emblem game, FE: Awakening. I don't know if he'll replace Ike or not, but I could see them just having three FE characters.

Fox worries me a bit, but I'd accept these. With a smaller roster, I don't know that 4 SF characters makes sense. Even so, each one would have reasons for being here. Krystal being the most unique, is unfortunately also the most likely to be cut, based on the Japanese fanbase.

Samurai Goroh would be the most obvious next step for F-Zero. I just don't know if the franchise really needs another character. I feel like it's basically dead in the water, and not worth bringing back, but that's just me. Either way, this is passable.

Pokemon and Pikmin are both just fine.

Earthbound and all the one-shots and retros are good, too.

Sonic does NOT need four reps. And these aren't even good picks for Sonic, anyways. If you were to insist on four Sonic characters, Amy (particularly Sonic Boom Amy) would be the next choice. Eggman, for man of the same reasons as Ridley, is just better served as a boss. His mechs are all huge, and Eggman isn't a good fighter. The fact that you suggested him either means you expect the rather unlikely SA2 version, or you don't know much about Sonic. Tails is also a likely choice, only by relation to the main character. He'd be an awful fighter. IMO, cut Eggman and Tails, and you've got a plausible set up, and still an extremely unlikely one.

Little Mac is fine, but I don't think Dillon deserves a playable roster spot. Give him an assist trophy and a stage and plenty of music, and we're good. He doesn't need more than that.

Ok, everything about this Megaman selection is wrong. Megaman isn't getting three reps, and even if it did, it wouldn't be Megaman, Protoman, and Bass. Seriously? Megaman, Zero, and MAYBE Megaman.exe, and that'd be a stretch. They almost never show the Battle Network canon any love.

I still insist there will be no Miis. I could deal with a Mii assist trophy where they run around and cause hell, and the game just pulls a random Mii off your harddrive, but I legitimately do not feel they'd make a good addition to the roster.

ALSO

@shinpichu Here I was, agreeing with almost everything you said for a change, and then you went and discredited his whole opinion based on one of the most plausible things in the unconfirmed areas of his roster. I mean, heck, you could've called him out on Eggman or Bass, but you chose Ridley, of all things, to get hung up on. You are fanboying extra hard, my friend, and it does not look good on you.

Also, I checked your link and can't help but notice that he IGNORES EVERY SINGLE METROID GAME THAT ISN'T THE FIRST ONE. Also, people keep showing the Ridley screenshot from Melee, but do remember, Samus is already one of the tallest characters in the game. Adding a character she's barely chest height to would greatly push the boundaries.

Besides, no matter how many size comparisons you show me, Ridley still just does not look right, at that size. Don't forget that the scale comparisons are mostly useless, in light of the fact that the size ratios have changed, Mario now being smaller and Bowser now being bigger. If Ridley were still that big, next to Bowser, he'd be too big.

I'll say what I've said time and time and time again. Ridley is just meant to be huge. His intended size is way too big to be a playable character, and adding him as playable only serves to lower the intimidation that his larger model causes. I still can't fight Ridley without getting serious, in Brawl. But faced with the model from Melee's opening, or even worse, from those size comparisons, I just couldn't take him seriously.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DudeSean

UGXwolf wrote:

@DudeSean Wow, that's an amusing uh... prediction... Ok, so:

53, off the bat, is a ridiculous number. Sakurai pointed out that he'd be trying to AVOID adding characters willy nilly, as the game would be extremely hard to balance, if he did. 53 would be insanely hard to balance.

Super Smash Bros. - 12
Melee - 26
Brawl - 35/39
Continuing this trend I would expect the number of playable characters to be more than Brawl's. 53 may be a bit high, but I do believe it will be somewhere in the 40-50 range. Yeah, it's a lot, but I can't see there being less playable characters in this game than there are in Brawl. Each game in the series has increased the number of playable characters by quite a bit.

UGXwolf wrote:

With this in mind, let's check out your character selection. Mario seems to have nothing but good characters, and if the roster really WERE 53 characters, I'd call this a very likely pick. However, as stated, it probably won't be, so remove Bowser Jr. and it should be even. (Give him an assist trophy and we should be good.)

Yeah, good point. Bowser Jr. is probably a better candidate for an assist trophy since he hasn't had enough big roles in the Mario games, with Sunshine being the only one with a real focus on him.

UGXwolf wrote:

DK, again, has all very likely characters, and were the roster really this big, I'd agree with them all, but operating under the assumption that it won't be, you need to do one of three things: remove Dixie, remove King K. Rool, or combine Diddy and Dixie in a DKC2-style team. As anyone reading would already know, I much prefer the third option, but your prediction; your decision.

Well, I guess I'd remove K. Rool. Before the new DKC series I think K. Rool would have been a very likely candidate. But seeing as how the new DKC games completely ignore K. Rool I think that really hurts his chances. But then, DK is left without a villain since the new DKC series hasn't established a recurring villain.

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm surprised at the lack of new Zelda reps, but won't argue it.

Why? Who would there be?

UGXwolf wrote:

I WILL however, argue the lack of Palutena. Leak aside, she's still an extremely likely character to join this game, considering her prominence in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Sakurai's connection with the new Kid Icarus game, she's the most likely candidate, and Kid Icarus most likely will get another candidate.

I'll be honest. I completely forgot about the Palutena leak when I made this. I guess when I saw it it pretty much meant nothing to me because I knew there was a chance that it was fake, so rather than pretending that she's already confirmed I decided just to wait for an official reveal. I mean, I do think it's real, but I'm aware of the possibility that it's not, because this is the internet.
Another reason I forgot about her is because I didn't really play Kid Icarus: Uprising. I have it, I've played it, but I just never really get into it. It's a really hard game for me because using the stylus the whole time really does a number on my hand. I had the same problem with Metroid Prime Hunters and had to use the ABXY buttons to look around instead of using the stylus.

UGXwolf wrote:

Kirby's fine.

Cool.

UGXwolf wrote:

Fire Emblem is not. No matter how much the community belly aches about Roy being removed, the reasons for his removal still apply: Ike and Marth handle all of Roy's most unique aspects just fine. He's got no more reason to be around. Even if you remove Ike, you've still got Marth and Roy and one other. That other is almost certainly Chrom, as he is the protagonist of the most recent, and rather successful Fire Emblem game, FE: Awakening. I don't know if he'll replace Ike or not, but I could see them just having three FE characters.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not too familiar with Fire Emblem. I've played some of the games and I enjoy them, but I haven't been keeping up with the series recently (although I've wanted to), so I didn't really know what Fire Emblem characters to choose, but I feel like 3 Fire Emblem characters sounds good.

UGXwolf wrote:

Fox worries me a bit, but I'd accept these. With a smaller roster, I don't know that 4 SF characters makes sense. Even so, each one would have reasons for being here. Krystal being the most unique, is unfortunately also the most likely to be cut, based on the Japanese fanbase.

I know there's alot of Krystal fans out there, but my main reason for wanting her in Smash is so she can have Fox's moves from Starfox Adventures, since it's her staff. I really like Starfox Adventures. I like Zelda and I like Starfox so that game was right up my alley and I feel like Rare did a really good job on it.

UGXwolf wrote:

Samurai Goroh would be the most obvious next step for F-Zero. I just don't know if the franchise really needs another character. I feel like it's basically dead in the water, and not worth bringing back, but that's just me. Either way, this is passable.

Well, I think adding another F-Zero character could possibly help get people interested in F-Zero again. I mean, Smash Bros. is pretty much responsible for Fire Emblem finally coming to the west. Maybe more F-Zero representation in Smash could help raise interest in the series again, but I know this is mostly just wishful thinking. But, ideally, I think every franchise represented in the game should have more than one character, but with some franchises it's actually really hard to pick more than one.

UGXwolf wrote:

Pokemon and Pikmin are both just fine.

Earthbound and all the one-shots and retros are good, too.

Good.

UGXwolf wrote:

Sonic does NOT need four reps. And these aren't even good picks for Sonic, anyways. If you were to insist on four Sonic characters, Amy (particularly Sonic Boom Amy) would be the next choice. Eggman, for man of the same reasons as Ridley, is just better served as a boss. His mechs are all huge, and Eggman isn't a good fighter. The fact that you suggested him either means you expect the rather unlikely SA2 version, or you don't know much about Sonic. Tails is also a likely choice, only by relation to the main character. He'd be an awful fighter. IMO, cut Eggman and Tails, and you've got a plausible set up, and still an extremely unlikely one.

My experience with Sonic is Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 on Genesis and Sonic CD.
I just figure with how chummy Nintendo and SEGA have been lately, especially with Sonic, that the Sonic series might have more representation this time around.

UGXwolf wrote:

Little Mac is fine, but I don't think Dillon deserves a playable roster spot. Give him an assist trophy and a stage and plenty of music, and we're good. He doesn't need more than that.

I picked Dillon just so they could have a new Nintendo IP character, as there's not many. I mean, Sakurai has already lowered himself to using Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as characters (lowered in the sense that he's not only choosing action characters now). Plus he would also help represent the 3DS as most of the characters are mainly from console games.

UGXwolf wrote:

Ok, everything about this Megaman selection is wrong. Megaman isn't getting three reps, and even if it did, it wouldn't be Megaman, Protoman, and Bass. Seriously? Megaman, Zero, and MAYBE Megaman.exe, and that'd be a stretch. They almost never show the Battle Network canon any love.

Well, I figured they were going with classic Mega Man, so Proto Man and Bass seemed to fit that. And I figured if Sonic is going to get multiple representatives, then why not Mega Man?

UGXwolf wrote:

I still insist there will be no Miis. I could deal with a Mii assist trophy where they run around and cause hell, and the game just pulls a random Mii off your harddrive, but I legitimately do not feel they'd make a good addition to the roster.

If Wii Fit Trainer and Villager can be in the game, I don't see why not Miis. I mean, they'd represent the "Wii" series of games (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Nintendo Land, etc.) which is one of the Nintendo's more recent IPs. I assume they would mostly have sports related moves.

Perhaps, though, instead of having Miis as a playable character, I could see there being a "Mii Mode" where you play as Miis instead of the rest, and they don't have any B button moves.

DudeSean

Pootypie

I really didn't see this coming

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Toad160

I want to post my predicted roster just for giggles. This isn't exactly my dream roster, even though it's a little bit influenced by my preferences, I kept out characters that obviously won't make the cut (like Igglybuff) even though I think it would be cool if they were in the game. (Igglybuff would be cool for many reasons. If you think otherwise, you obviously have no objectivity)

Untitled

Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon X, Percy's Predicament, NES Remix
Instagram: thegreatmerlon
3DS FC: 0173-1806-9449

RetroJosh

I wish we could have one more Sonic character.....
Like..... BIG THE CAT!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding. But man, I want Eggman on the roster so bad Imagine having Bowser & Eggman vs Mario & Sonic?
But it'll never happen sadly.. But one can always dream..

RetroJosh

Nintendo Network ID: RetroJosh

Shirma_Akayaku

@Toad160
Some character choices seem pretty possible for the most part, but I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion on them.
Representatives:

Mario - Seems like all of them would make it.

Zelda - I honestly think Toon Zelda wouldn't make it. However, If Zelda didn't turn into Sheik, I could see Toon Zelda transforming into Tetra. I don't think it'll it happening though.

Pokemon - I would cut at least 1 or 2 of them out. I pretty sure Jigglypuff won't be leaving anytime soon, so I'd pick Blaziken, Mewtwo, (& maybe P. Trainer). Only 2 of them. Although I love Mewtwo as a pokemon, but when it came to fighting, I personally didn't like it (I loved how awesome it looked though). Blaziken maybe one of my favorite starters ever, I kinda see him being similar to Capt. Falcon. They both have fire and fighting. He could be an item.

Star Fox - I like them all, but I have a feeling that Sakurai is gonna remove one of them... I don't know who though.

Kirby - I don't see Waddle Dee being playable considering the fact that King Dedede can still throw them. I know this one you have is from Return to Dreamland, but I don't think he'll be playable.

Balloon Fight - I don't see him being playable at all. Heck, Villager has the balloons for his Up-Special.

Donkey Kong - Same as Star Fox. It feels like 1 won't make it.

Fire Emblem - It'll probably have one more fighter, not only 2.

R.O.B. - I simply have no idea.

Pac-Man - I'm not sure either, but I totally fine with him being playable.

Isaac - He seems like a special case. He was an Assist Trophy, so his chances are like a double-edge sword. Being an assist gives him a chance at being playable, but at the same time, being an assist could limit him to only being that.

Aw'ight I'm pretty tired so that's enough from me... Let me know what you think

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

UGXwolf

Toad160 wrote:

I want to post my predicted roster just for giggles. This isn't exactly my dream roster, even though it's a little bit influenced by my preferences, I kept out characters that obviously won't make the cut (like Igglybuff) even though I think it would be cool if they were in the game. (Igglybuff would be cool for many reasons. If you think otherwise, you obviously have no objectivity)

Untitled

This is a fairly realistic roster with a few notable outliers. If I don't mention something, assume I agree with it entirely.

Cranky Kong: I just can't see him being playable. Course, I couldn't see him being playable in DKC, either, so what do I know?! But the point is, I think he'd work better as a Mr. Resetti type Assist trophy or a background detail. Maybe even a stage hazard or part of DK's moveset. (Though DK's Moveset is fine. I wouldn't mess with it.)

Toon Zelda: Is highly arguable. Speculation suggests she was going to be playable in Brawl and was later removed, but as we have no idea WHY she was removed, we can't really argue whether or not she has a chance in this game. I'll just leave it as, "This choice is questionable."

Krystal/Wolf: Fox is guaranteed and I'd be shocked if Falco was booted, but not Wolf. This means either Krystal would have to replace Wolf or add another roster spot to be in, and given Krystal's lack of popularity in Japan and Wolf's meme status, I have trouble seeing her replace in. Of course, this isn't what you suggested, but I want to point out that four characters seems a bit much for Star Fox. Not discounting this. Just pointing out that it may be too much.

Blaziken/Mewtwo: Poke'mon won't have six reps unless Mario gets at least that many. Obviously, that's not counting TFs. Blaziken seems the obvious candidate for removal, being that he seems very Captain Falcon-y and hasn't ever been in Smash, before, but I'm gonna throw my vote on Mewtwo not returning because... well, wishful thinking. Either way, I think at least one of these two won't make the cut.

Isaac: But no Shulk?! HOW DARETH THEE!?! But no, seriously, I think Isaac was an assist trophy for a reason, and not just obscurity. Even so, I seem to recall him doing a lot of different stuff. A moveset is possible.

Bandana Dee: As much as I would LOVE a spear-user in this roster, I just don't think a generic representative of an entire species (that isn't Yoshi) stands much of a chance. Crossing my fingers, on this one, but I just don't see it.

ROB: I don't feel like he's returning, but I could be wrong. Just wanted to say it.

Balloon Fighter: Considering his main gimmick is the Villager's Up-B, I really don't see this happening. Replace him with Little Mac, or something.

Ike/Chrom: Now, this is a tricky one. Ike could be booted for lack of relevance, but the only reason Roy was booted was because Ike was a Flame Swordsman, too, and Marth already had all of Roy's moves. Ike has a unique moveset, so Chrom wouldn't have to replace him.

Snake: Another character I don't see returning, but not for any of the usual reasons. He CAN return. I just don't think he will. I'd much rather see a Belmont or Alucard in this position, anyways. That said, no one said Konami was even getting a rep, this time.

Pac-Man: Ugh... Just... UUUUUGGGGGH! I hate this spot simply because it's SO FRIGGIN LIKELY. I don't like Pac-Man. I don't think he'd make a good playable character. I really would rather see Lloyd or Cless or even Klonoa in this spot. Heck, I'd take Heihachi over Pac-Man. Anything but this 3D Sonic wannabe. And yet, it's still the most iconic Namco character. My only solace is that Sakurai is working with Tekken Tag Team and specifically hired the Tales team lead, so Lloyd and Cless and even Heihachi have a chance, yet!

UGXwolf

Just so I'm not the only one crushing other people's dreams, I made up my own rosters. The only difference between the two is just that it's two different attempts operating under two separate pretenses. Also, I completely forgot to add Captain Falcon to the first roster. Just throw him in on top of someone you think is unlikely. Consider it your "this person's a moron" card.. COMPLETELY SCREWED IT UP. My bad.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by UGXwolf

Romeo

if they would add her
Untitled
i would be sooo happy
unfortunately that'll never happen

oh and while they're at it, they might as well add her
Untitled
yea, very likely.. i know ; )

Edited on by Romeo

Romeo

Snagrio

What's with all the Pac-Man hate?

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

shinpichu

UGXwolf wrote:

@shinpichu Here I was, agreeing with almost everything you said for a change, and then you went and discredited his whole opinion based on one of the most plausible things in the unconfirmed areas of his roster. I mean, heck, you could've called him out on Eggman or Bass, but you chose Ridley, of all things, to get hung up on. You are fanboying extra hard, my friend, and it does not look good on you.

I did actually call him out on having 7 third party characters. That was the first thing I did.

Also, I checked your link and can't help but notice that he IGNORES EVERY SINGLE METROID GAME THAT ISN'T THE FIRST ONE.

Fair enough. There are comparisons from oother Metroid games buried in that thread, but I won't blame you for not wanting to read over 300 pages just to find a few more comparisons. They mostly just go to show that Ridley doesn't have a "canon" or "intended" size, since he changes size depending on the situation he's in(even within games, his size isn't constant)

Also, people keep showing the Ridley screenshot from Melee, but do remember, Samus is already one of the tallest characters in the game. Adding a character she's barely chest height to would greatly push the boundaries.

Untitled
Untitled
That better?

Besides, no matter how many size comparisons you show me, Ridley still just does not look right, at that size. Don't forget that the scale comparisons are mostly useless, in light of the fact that the size ratios have changed, Mario now being smaller and Bowser now being bigger. If Ridley were still that big, next to Bowser, he'd be too big.

See above.

I'll say what I've said time and time and time again. Ridley is just meant to be huge. His intended size is way too big to be a playable character, and adding him as playable only serves to lower the intimidation that his larger model causes. I still can't fight Ridley without getting serious, in Brawl. But faced with the model from Melee's opening, or even worse, from those size comparisons, I just couldn't take him seriously.

So things that are small/medium sized can't be scary?

I think a flying, fire-breathing space dragon is pretty intimidating no matter how big he is.

Edited on by shinpichu

Toad160

@Rosalina @UGXwolf

Rosalina wrote:

Some character choices seem pretty possible for the most part, but I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion on them.
Representatives:

Mario - Seems like all of them would make it.

Zelda - I honestly think Toon Zelda wouldn't make it. However, If Zelda didn't turn into Sheik, I could see Toon Zelda transforming into Tetra. I don't think it'll it happening though. I would love to see another representative from the Zelda series, and as I don't see Tingle having an amazing shot at the roster spot, and most villains from the current Zelda games other than Ganondorf are pretty much irrelevant to Smash roster choices, I thought Toon Zelda would be our best shot

Pokemon - I would cut at least 1 or 2 of them out. I pretty sure Jigglypuff won't be leaving anytime soon, so I'd pick Blaziken, Mewtwo, (& maybe P. Trainer). Only 2 of them. Although I love Mewtwo as a pokemon, but when it came to fighting, I personally didn't like it (I loved how awesome it looked though). Blaziken maybe one of my favorite starters ever, I kinda see him being similar to Capt. Falcon. They both have fire and fighting. He could be an item. I agree that the Pokemon franchise will probably not surpass the Mario franchise roster, however, it's kind of hard to decide. I would almost cut Pokemon Trainer just because Blaziken, Lucario, and Mewtwo are imbedded in Pokemon X&Y with their Mega Evolutions (Blaziken with its easily attainability through the mystery gift). However, I could also see Blaziken very easily not making the cut and we're stuck with all Pokemon Veterans, which has never happened.

Star Fox - I like them all, but I have a feeling that Sakurai is gonna remove one of them... I don't know who though.A lot of people see that Wolf is going to be booted just because he is a clone character, but people really underestimate the power of being a veteran. I know everyone may not return (but I hope). I think if he does, though, Star Fox should continue its trend of gaining a new character every Smash.

Kirby - I don't see Waddle Dee being playable considering the fact that King Dedede can still throw them. I know this one you have is from Return to Dreamland, but I don't think he'll be playable. This was more of a hope that I thought was plausible. Possible solutions would be to put a bandana on his head like in the game, but I understand your reasoning and unfortunately agree

Balloon Fight - I don't see him being playable at all. Heck, Villager has the balloons for his Up-Special. I was about to disregard him for that reason alone, but with his playable stage in Nintendoland, yeah it's still unlikely. But I would like to see him. We need another Retro character to add to the cast, and Little Mac has always been someone I thought would always be plausible and make sense but never get in. Replace Balloon Fighter with any cool retro fighter you can think of, and I'll still take it.

Donkey Kong - Same as Star Fox. It feels like 1 won't make it. I do not see Dixie Kong not getting in. Just imagine how cool, kind of unexpected, and weird it would be to play as your favorite elderly monkey. He only gets this spot, though, due to his inclusion in Tropical Freeze.

Fire Emblem - It'll probably have one more fighter, not only 2. This was like the only series that I didn't give an extra character for the sheer fact that I don't play it. I would love to see Roy (unlikely) come back, but if they get another character it will probably be that Chrom fellow or Macaiah.

R.O.B. - I simply have no idea. I don't think they will touch retro characters.

Pac-Man - I'm not sure either, but I totally fine with him being playable. I see either an extreme amount of support for him, or an extreme amount of hate for him, so you're like an outlier for me haha. I just think it would be amazing to see him fight, and think about the music he could have. The stage.

Isaac - He seems like a special case. He was an Assist Trophy, so his chances are like a double-edge sword. Being an assist gives him a chance at being playable, but at the same time, being an assist could limit him to only being that. I don't usually support Assist Trophies becoming playable characters, but he seems like a good shot for a new series being represented.

Aw'ight I'm pretty tired so that's enough from me... Let me know what you think

Edited on by Toad160

Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon X, Percy's Predicament, NES Remix
Instagram: thegreatmerlon
3DS FC: 0173-1806-9449

19Robb92

I've never really gotten the "Ridley is too big" thing.. If Sakurai wanted him in the game, he could easily be implemented. It's not like there have ever been any kind of logic behind the size of the characters in these games at all.

Here's Captain Olimars actual size, 1.9cm:
Untitled

If he can get as enormous as he is in Smash, I see no problem with Ridley.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Arminillo

If Ridley was playable.

-Largest Playable Character
-The only heavy character with flight (this one is the problem)
-One of the longest reachs in the game (if tail utilized defintely longest)

he would f up the meta unless they gimped him.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic