Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,301 to 27,320 of 27,917

UGXwolf

So I'm very torn about this presentation. Extremely torn. On the pro side, I'm so happy none of this leaked aside from the Geno hat. And all three of these characters are awesome. I don't care as much for Corrin because he's our sixth FE character and once again from a game we haven't had a chance to play, yet, but he still looks cool and really fun to play as. I din't think I will be able to work out Bayo as her style doesn't really seem to suit me and she actually seems really complicated. These characters were all very interesting and after binging Cloud mirrors for a couple hours with my roommate, I'm very happy with his addition to the roster, just as I predicted.

But now I can't just ignore the loud voice in my gut screaming "BS! BS! I CALL BS!" Aside from Corrin feeling like an advertisement for FE Fates, rather than a hall of fame entry like I feel some of these characters should, I'm having a lot of trouble believing Bayonetta was realky that high on the polls (lul). Not that I doubt her popularity, but is seems almost TOO unexpected. She wasn't even really on a lot of people's radars for the ballot from what I can tell. I feel like they might have needed to say no to a few characters before arriving at her. I wanna see some official results, anyways. And that's not even stating the most obvious problem I have with this. I suppose that presents problems of its own, though.

See, I'm extremely sad Wolf isn't coming back. Like, I'm not just salty or buttered, but legitimately bummed that he's not returning to Smash. As in after I got done playing a ton of Cloud matches, I took a moment and laid in bed and started realizing that his last opportunity to be in Smash 4 is gone and my hype is completely gone.

Now I know that expecting Sakurai to bring back every character is a bit much. Hell, Wolf only even made it into Brawl by the skin of his teeth. But I suppose that's what bothers me about this. He was considered important enough to squeeze into Brawl at the last minute. So why wasn't he important enough to be in Smash 4? I mean, you kept his stage. You kept his theme. You even gave Fox one of his moves. Wolf just seems like such a glaring omission, just as he did when Smash 4 first came out.

Not just that, but no new DK character really stings. Donkey Kong got shafted insanely hard in this iteration. It really seems unfair to DK fans.

Meanwhile, we got not one, BUT TWO Fire Emblem characters for DLC. When four already felt like just a bit much to begin with. And they both were introduced to the Smash series as advertisements for games we hadn't gotten to play yet, thus had no reason to care about.

I think what I really wanna say is that Wolf should've been added, rather than Roy. In hindsight, Roy seems like the weakest link by a longshot. The only real argument I could see for jot accepting that swap is that two returning Brawl vets in the same update is less exciting than one from Brawl and one from Melee. Even then, we had already gotten Mewtwo back.

Whatever. You know and I know I could rant for ages about why excluding Wolf was a bad idea, but that won't change anything, so I guess I'll just go mope around in my corner about it for a couple weeks.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

TeeJay

@UGXwolf: I wanted Wolf and I ain't even mad bro.

Watching people's reactions to Bayonetta is the best. They're as good as the Megaman reveal reactions. Man. Can't wait for the rest of this DLC! Corrin looks so interesting too!

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

UGXwolf

@TeeJay: Again. I'm happy for all the characters in this Direct. They feel like a veru deserved ending to Smash DLC. I'm not mad. I'm disappointed. Let down. Because with all things considered, Wolf feels like he should've been here somewhere and he's not. No offense to Roy fans, but I just can't help but feel Wolf should've been in the second character pack, instead.

TeeJay

@UGXwolf: What's done is done.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Chandlero

Is there an option to buy the stages without purchasing the associated character? New characters are fun but all my friends and I have fixed first and second characters and won't change them (since Melee in fact ; ). However, new stages are always fun and a good change and I want to have them. But in Ruy's case I had to buy the complete package to get the stage..

Edited on by Chandlero

jump

I'm very happy with Bayonetta, admittingly I would of liked to see Lego Batman and Professor Layton ahead of her but I found her to be better than alot of the other suggestions that were coming out and she looks really intresting to play as and against.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

GrizzlyArctos

I am so happy that Bayonetta's being added. She was the main character that I was hoping to see, and I really wasn't expecting it to happen, but as soon as the word 'climax' was mentioned I knew what was coming.

And I have to say Cloud is a fun character to play as. He's simple to play as, but the Limit Breaks add a lot of choice to his move set.

Yes, I like bears.

UGXwolf

@GrizzlyArctos: I like the way he's represented. He's a tad underpowered without his limit, which is fine because with his limit, he moves and fights a bit better and has plenty of kill potential to make use of any advantage he gains while in Limit. It becomes a trade-off where you play more defensively until Limit is built up, switching to something more aggressive when the Limit Gauge fills up. After that, you are constantly having to make choices on when you should use a Limit Break and when that stat boost can help you, but if you hold it too long and need it to recover, you could waste it that way.

LzWinky

To be fair, I don't think Sakurai ever said he'd simply pick the most popular character in the first place. The ballot seemed more like a suggestion box.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tobiaku

While it was the last Smash specific direct, I was hoping for that they could sneak in more characters in later directs...
I think the character choices was interesting. Not my number one choices, but still great additions.

In the end, I think I will buy all the DLC except some costumes. (I have not bought costumces except Geno and the Chocobo hat)

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Grumblevolcano

I was thinking about how well Smash Wii U has represented must have retail Wii U games in the form of stages, really impressed overall.

New Super Mario Bros. U

Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World

Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors (having a HD Skyloft stage kind of counts as Hyrule Warriors representation)
Bayonetta 1+2 (stage is from Bayonetta 1 but that game is attached to Bayonetta 2 in the form "buy Bayonetta 2, get Bayonetta 1 for free")
Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Mario Maker

Twilight Princess HD

So here are the key missing games that are out already:
The Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D World/Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (latter is a prequel to the former)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Link977

that knuckles mii costume tho

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & OrdonianLink
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Link977

Grumblevolcano

I'm getting the feeling Wolf is coming with Corrin and Bayonetta. This is said before the Bayonetta trailer:

"Please take a look at the final new challenger in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."

Veterans aren't considered new challengers so a surprise Wolf addition in February isn't impossible.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DreamyViridi

@Grumblevolcano: I noticed that too but before that, the direct said last fighter announcement (or something along those lines). "Last fighter" is universal in this case so I wouldn't get any hopes up for anyone else showing up. Other unannounced DLC pieces could appear but I'm not expecting anything beyond what's been told.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Grumblevolcano

@DreamyViridi: It said about the last fighter announcement trailer, could be that Wolf isn't given an announcement trailer (I see the Corrin and Bayonetta release dates and prices being announced via social media rather than part of a Direct). Not holding out hope but just noticing it could be a possibility.

Grumblevolcano

NintendoFan64

So...anyone else bothered by the fact that Midgar only has two music tracks?
@Grumblevolcano Yeah...I don't think that's going to happen. I would be immensely happy if it did, but I just don't see it. For now, let's just hope that he's in Smash 5.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic