Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,221 to 27,240 of 27,917

Bolt_Strike

NoirUsernameHere wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Meh, not impressed with the new reveals, they're pandering to otakus waaaay too much with this last batch. They should've done someone more interesting like Inkling.

>inkling
>more interesting than bayonetta
Untitled

Generic Humanoid Girl in a boring beat em up vs. Outlandish Squid People from the most innovative game Nintendo's made in years. Hmm, I wonder which one is more interesting.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

yokokazuo

Cloud is live!

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Grumblevolcano

DLC is available now!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Joeynator3000

If anything, Cloud is the generic one here. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TheXReturns

I'm actually ok with what we got. I think they should've switched Bayo and Cloud's reveals around, had Bayo revealed last month, but, it was well done overall. I mean let's face it, we could all probably draw up movesets for Geno, or Professor Layton, or Isaac. The problem there is whether they would have interesting, yet feasable movesets.
Wolf goes the other way, actually, and it's less about feasability, and more about making him different to Fox and Falco. You'd divide the Wolf fanbase with whether you made him play exactly like in brawl or not.

Like it or not, the three that we have are surprisingly sensible. Cloud is obviously the face of Final Fantasy, and anyone other than Cloud would likely be a 'huh?' 'who?' moment to most people. Cloud's an iconic character that most gamers would recognize. Corrin is a good marketing rep, no matter how you swing it. Barring Lucina, who should probably have stayed as a costume, each of the Fire Emblem reps play significantly differently. Corrin continues that trend. Yes, he's another Fire Emblem character, but he's quite different in style, or so it looks. I do wonder whether some of that was made from leftover Ridley test material, but that's purely baseless conjecture.
And finally Bayo. The point of this DLC was to do fanservice, and to create unique and unusual characters. We got our three returning reps, Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy, who are still arguably the most feasable reps cut from other games, with the possible exception of Wolf. (Neither Ivysaur nor Squirtle would be massively interesting, Ice Climbers can't work, but will probably return in Smash 5.), and we have our four new, unique characters. Ryu and his traditional button commands, Cloud and his limit breaker, Corrin and his dragon transformations, and Bayo and her unique witch time abilities. They're abilities that work well on a character, whilst setting them apart. Where most of the Layton, King K.Rool, Shantae ideas fall down is here. None of them really have a gimmick that could be used for an interesting moveset. Shovel Knight's still a cross-platform game, with no real impact in Japan as of yet, so he was always going to be a long shot. Even Isaac, who was considered by some to be a shoo-in, at the end of the day, is a somewhat obscure character in a game that's been dead for a good few years. Too young to be Retro, but too old to be current. But, no matter who would have won, lots would still be complaining about it...

My point is, is that we've had quite possibly the best character list in ages. We still have three to come. It's up to you as to whether you want to buy them or not. 58 characters is incredible. That's nearly five times the size of the original roster. For most of those characters to stand out and be unique is incredible. (I'm only really discounting Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit here.) Sakurai's team have worked really hard to acheive something special. We shouldn't moan about what we might or might not have. It's your choice as to whether you buy it...

EDIT I forgot Inklings, who, whilst I was surprised to not see, I understand why they weren't there. Try condensing all of Splatoon into a fighter. It just isn't possible. If Splatoon continues to sell well if/when 5mash comes around, I'm sure they'll make a renewed effort to get them in. I'm also convinced that some of the Mii Fighter costumes are of fighters who were considered, but the idea dropped as a bad lead. (King K.Rool, Inkling, Dunban(As a Shulk replacement), Geno, etc.)

Edited on by TheXReturns

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

Joeynator3000

....Ugh, now my game won't update, I never understand this...gotta reboot the game constantly....or something. >_>

Keep it PG-13-ish.

martinskrtel37

brb buying bayonetta

CapeSmash wrote:

Campaigning for a character was the WORST decision of my life.

lol that is so cute

BUT HEY! We have a Mii costume! That's totally like the actual thing! /s. Whatever, I'll take it.

you are lucky! we only have mii costumes for K Rool and Knuckles and Tails and all these random characters because WE WANTED THEM. what happened to the final fantasy fanboys who have wanted a remake of FF7 for so long? they're eventually getting a totally messed up cash cow remake with changed mechanics released over three episodes. lol. they get the opposite kind of service we get!!!!

Also, there are more Fire Emblem characters than there are Zelda characters. Fire Emblem got 3 newcomers, and Zelda got none. The franchise balancing in this game is a complete joke.

maybe Fire Emblem has been more successful over the past 10 years!! but I mean there are 5 Zelda reps and 6 Fire Emblem, that's hardly a huge difference.. which Zelda newcomers could you realistically expect this direct...?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

JunkosBoobies

@VeeFlamesNL: (Correct me if this is the wrong user) Inkling is definitely unique, and it would've been nice to see what they could do. But still, Bayonetta is somewhat unique and generates more hype at the same time. So I prefer Bayonetta.

@Bolt_Strike: Bayonetta is very unique, actually. She's a witch (those of WITCH we haven't seen in Smash before- shot ), who can summon demons, has a broken clock tower flying through the air and into Purgatory (I'd assume from what they said in the direct anyways) as a home stage and uses real guns in her moveset, which was something they were afraid to do in Brawl with Snake, so it's new for Smash.

NoirUsernameHere wrote:

Gonna use this Smash bingo for the direct. I'll go back afterwards and mark what was right and what was wrong.
Untitled

About that bingo...
Untitled
More wrong than right. But to be fair, a lot of the stuff on there was just wishful thinking.

Edited on by JunkosBoobies

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

NintendoFan64

Untitled
To be fair, Bayonetta is probably the one I've seen people go salty over the least...though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

IceClimbers

Got Cloud! On the 3DS version, the CSS changes and adds an "Extra Fighters" page that has the DLC characters. The button for it is 4 character icons long

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

KO-Cub

I think I'm going to wait till Corrin and Bayonet comes till I get Cloud. I want a bundle with 'em.

Anyway, I get Cloud. Very climactic. He did a better a job than Beyonetta but she's still cool and I congratulate her and her brutal style.
But have we heard it all. Dat Corrin doh...

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Joeynator3000

Uploading a video to Youtube, Cloud is in the match, but I'm not playing as him. Also I play on the new stage, will be up in a few hours.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

TeeJay

I'm still in shock over the new announcements. But I'm so, so happy with them. Yes, even Corrin! A half dragon fighter? Yes please!

But above all I'm thrilled that I won't have to ever look at K Tool's ugly face, even online! Let the salt rain down, I don't care. All possibility of him being in this game is gone. Thank goodness.

And top it all off, I had no troubles whatsoever downloading Cloud for the very first time. Truly, this is a joyous day.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

NintendoFan64

NintyMan wrote:

Sakurai may finally get a little time to rest and heal soon! He's certainly earned it.

Yes he has...yes he has...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

VelvetElvis

I'm in no rush to get Cloud, so I'll let the servers recover. But lawdy knows I will have a complete version of Smash Wii U sooner than later.

With this presentation capped, I'm looking back on how wildly Sakurai, his team and his collaborators have succeeded here. The sheer scope of this game boggles my mind, and the roster is nothing short of a triumph — for me, the likes of Mega Man, Pac-Man, Shulk, the Duck Hunt dog, Ryu and Bayonetta were pipe dreams. But this game has the gall to say, "nope, they're real — here they are. Here are your pipe dreams." I'd be very happy if the next iteration of Smash builds on what's already here and adopts a sort of games-as-service format; I'd hate to lose the monumental amount of content we have already.

On Bayonetta: Jesus, take the wheel. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the livestream and looked at Facebook for a millisecond before watching the presentation — lo and behold, the personalized newsfeed totally ruined the surprise for me about 30 seconds before I loaded up the video. Despite that, the reveal delivered. I can't believe I just watched Pit yell, "they're so big!"

Perfection.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic