Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 26,461 to 26,480 of 27,917

Grumblevolcano

I think the Smash Direct will be any one of these December dates (9th, 10th, 16th, 17th). I doubt Nintendo would let Smash take the glory from Xenoblade X.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

It specifically says "for the two games"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tsuchinoko

Smash 4 development has to end sometime. Lets just look forward to what the final complete game will be.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

cookiex

NintyMan wrote:

Has anyone considered the possibility of a Cloud amiibo? It probably wouldn't be used outside Smash except for an amiibo costume in Super Mario Maker, although there's still not costumes of Ryu and Roy yet in that game.

It could be used for future Final Fantasy games on Nintendo systems as well. Say Square brought the FF7 remake to NX, then you could have the Cloud amiibo unlocking exclusive content.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Pootypie

I thought they were going to reveal Wolf when they showed the galaxy thing before the smash bros logo. Did anyone else think that at first?

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Undead_terror

Even though I don't play any Final Fantasy games, I'm pretty hyped to play as Cloud, another famous face that looks fun and that some fans wanted (was even in smash flash along with other fan made fighter games), his stage looks really nice as well!, I would hope that his nice looking alt would also mean for some DLC alts and more color options, while I am enjoying all of this, some people got to complain about it...or a nice few actually >.> ruins it.

Edited on by Undead_terror

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

TylerTheCreator

Here's to everyone on NintendoLife and the rest of the Internet who told me I was stupid for thinking Cloud would ever be in Smash:

Be nice -Lz

Edited on by LzWinky

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

Pootypie

Im actually really looking forward to cloud now! It's an interesting inclusion for sure. I will try him out but I probably won't end up using him. Ryu is the only dlc character i use anyways. I just hope he isnt the last character and i still wonder if this was from the ballot.

Also i think the December direct means last direct for smash only, but not last smash news. Like more of what they did with smash bros last nintendo direct.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

DreamyViridi

...I'm still a bit iffy on Cloud because much like Ryu, I just can't relate since I've never played or care for the entire Final Fantasy series, yet alone VII. But also like Ryu, he looks like a cool fighter. So I might give him a chance but I'll have to see more of Cloud first.

I'm not expecting anything anymore because Smash Bros. DLC has a huge unpredictability factor at this point.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

UGXwolf

I really do think we're exhausted on 3rd parties. I can almost tell Sakurai was itching to bust this one out and so proud of his accomplishment, too.

Now time for speculation! Given a typical character development cycle is six months and 3rd parties have an extra stage of rights retrieval invilved, let's assume Cloud has an eight-month cycle. If he launches next month, he started development in April. Even on a six-month cycle, it'd be July or August. If he's a ballot pick, he's definitely not the only one. Just one they saw there was some good demand for and decided they wanted to bring the JRPG icon to the fight.

On top of this, I suspect there are two more charactet sets coming. But even as I say this, Cloud may be a solo character and that would count as one of those two character sets. I suspect three to six charactets, invluding Cloud.

So what do we know? K Rool, Wolf, Inkling, Snake, Isaac, Banjo, and Shovel Knight all appear to have a lot of support. Let's go ahead and strike those last two off the list, though, as 3rd parties seem unlikely, at this point. The only reason I'm not cutting Snake is because veterans appear to be a popular and easy choice. I mean hell, even Cloud happens to have a good number of Ike's moves despite being a mostly unique character. So now let's rank these characters in terms of likelihood!

1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Inkling
4. Isaac
5. Snake

K. Rool still seems the most likely newcomer even now due to popular demand. He's largely and loudly one of, if not THE most supported would-be-newcomer. Wolf is the most likely veteran by birtue of us running out of veterans. As I've pointed out, veterans are popular. They're already well-liked, they're already in high demand, and they don't take nearly the same work as, say, Ryu or the next entry on my list. At this point, the only veterans left are Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. We don't need another Link. We don't WANT another Pikachu, and many Pokemon are more interesting on their own, not to mention Ice Climbers being essentially impossible. And with Snake being 3rd party and tensions between Kojima and Konami, Wolf is quite literally the only option left for veterans.

Now Inklings are strange... They definitely deserve the spit. They're certainly popular enough. They would have an interesting and unique moveset, but think about it: what's the number one mechanic they would want to implement in order to represent Splatoon properly? Ink. Hiding in Ink. Swimming through Ink. Jumping out of ink. That's a whole new mechanic they'd have to work in. That'd take a lot of time and resources, two things Sakurai has suggested he's certainly running out of. It would make things very difficult if they were included. Even if they pulled it off, that dev time and resource would be pulled from other characters. We'd get less characters and they'd be less unique and more hastily out together. Animations would be lazy or copy-pasted to save time. I'd say this kills their odds, but then Ryu happened. Sakurai seems to love a development challenge, too. They're still very likely.

Share your thoughts! Give me your rankings!

(Also, I know it's a common joke, but Master Chief would make this the best collection of gaming all-stars to grace a fighting game.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Pikmiin99

Gonna be 100% honest I was a little disappointed by Cloud's inclusion. I'm over myself now and he looks like a decent character with interesting mechanics. Final Fantasy is something I've tried but never liked and so my sheer unfamiliarity with Cloud has caught me off guard.
It all points to him being a ballot winner, as we must remember it's not about how many votes a character got it's how well they translate.

Edited on by Pikmiin99

Pikmiin99

IceClimbers

@UGXwolf: I don't think more 3rd party characters are unlikely just because Cloud is in the game. In fact it almost makes it more likely that we'll see more considering Cloud is a Square Enix character - that company is notoriously stingy when it comes to their characters.

Besides, the 3rd party characters that appear to be popular are Snake, indies (Shovel Knight, Shantae), or Rayman. The only one of those that may be difficult to acquire is Snake. Indies are less of a headache, and Rayman? He's already in the game so that part of the process is already done.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NintendoFan64

@IceClimbers Since Cloud might not be part of the ballot, and there's going to be more than one character coming out of it, a part of me is still hoping for Rayman...I know, I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, but hey.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

DreamyViridi

@UGXwolf: I honestly don't think it's worth guessing anymore. It's not for me at least. The Cloud reveal tells me that (outside of very obvious silly choices) no-one is guaranteed, no-one is safe, most everyone has equal chance. Yeah, they'll listen to the popular choices but will they actually take them on? Who knows? I sure don't. Realistically, I hope for the Inklings because I don't care for any of the other popular choices but I'm already accepting the fact that they (alongside my personal wishful fighters) are not gonna be playable.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

BigBabyPeach

I might look like a fool in December, but I'm gonna go on record and say that K. Rool has no chance. Afaik the only non-Japanese character in Smash is Diddy Kong (?) and it looks like a Mii costume is as far as they would go for a Western character like K. Rool who's nowhere near as important as Diddy Kong.

If I had to pick one of the more popular characters people are rooting for, I would go with Snake, Isaac or Bomberman.

BigBabyPeach

Tsuchinoko

@BigBabyPeach: Those characters were created by Rare employees for Nintendo. Nintendo owns them.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Eel

Yeah, not to sound mean but I also doubt KRool has much of a chance. I somehow don't see him as being popular with the developers.

Could be I'm just biased agaisnt it though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Pootypie

If King K Rool does not make it in then I will be surprised. He would most definitely be the most downloaded character (not everyone download all characters)

Pootypie

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic