Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 25,321 to 25,340 of 27,917

NintendoFan64

@Tsuchinoko: It's cute how you think people won't find more ways to complain...

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Tsuchinoko

@NintendoFan64: Thats me I guess... blindly optimistic.

No but you're totally right of course. After the K. Rool costume reveal the things people said about him...trash. Just trash.

And then if Shovel Knight isn't confirmed for Smash, a character who outside of the ballot would never get in, the things people will say will be cringe.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

TeeJay

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind Shovel Knight being in Smash as a DLC character that is put in to appeal to western gamers and because of the ballot. It just feels like the timing is off because the game is not in Japan yet, and might not be for a while. I feel like they should do stuff here to increase his visibility first. Ease him into the Japanese gaming community. I still don't know if I'm sold on him as a character yet.

If he does get in because of the ballot, maybe gamefaqs and reddit can be nicer to Sakurai. A little?

Fire Emblem. That is all.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

NintendoFan64

@Tsuchinoko: Heck, judging by some of the comments on NintendoLife's article over the rumor, there's gonna be some people who will complain even if he DOES get in.

Tsuchinoko

@TeeJay: Not even close to comparable since characters like Marth, Roy, and Lucas are Nintendo's intellectual property, well known amongst Japanese Nintendo fans, developed and released in the country where Smash comes from. Comparing them to a foreign indie third party that most people in the country of Smash's origin don't know is just silly.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

TeeJay

@Tsuchinoko: Whether they are first or third party is not important. The point I'm making is we Americans got some random anime characters from a Japan-only series, and through that introduction we learned what the Fire Emblem series was and that was in fact not some anime game. We were introduced to a foreign game through Smash that we have since learned to love. You can do the same as well with our popular characters.

Edited on by TeeJay

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

DefHalan

@IceClimbers: I have no idea what any of those things are

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

NintendoFan64

@DefHalan: Unseen 64 is a site that talks about cancelled/beta elements in videogames. And it sometimes has leaks.

Tsuchinoko

@TeeJay: I still don't think you can put those characters in the same situation. You're also positing that Smash exists to advertise characters, not to already celebrate them with an audience that is fully familiar with them.

You're also forgetting that the Fire Emblem characters were originally developed to be Japanese exclusive. They were not developed with the idea that they would be an introduction to the FE series.

And you do know this site is more than just America and Japan right? There are users from all over the world so you don't need to say "us Americans" or "our characters".

TeeJay

@Tsuchinoko: I'm not saying Smash was MADE to advertise, but it has been used for that purpose and can be again. They can peak the Japanese players' interest in the character through Smash, and then release the actual game shortly aftet and reap the sales.

Also it doesn't matter what they were originally made to be, the fact remains they were used in Smash in that way, and the same can be done to you guys in Japan.

As for the last thing, you're absolutely right. I kind of forgot about the rest of the world for a minute there. Sorry, rest of the world.

Tsuchinoko

@TeeJay: I still disagree. Without an exclusivity deal it wouldn't benefit Nintendo or Sakurai and his team to use Smash as a way of introducing Japanese players to Shovel Knight. Again, Fire Emblem is a Nintendo property that was exclusive to Japan for a long time. A comparable situation would be if they added Mike Jones from Star Tropics, who is a western exclusive Nintendo character. That is an equal comparison.

Now, and take this as someone living in Japan who has never played Shovel Knight, if Nintendo made the decision to put him in the game to appeal to western fans because of the ballot regardless of whether or not Japanese fans know who he is, than I wouldn't see a problem with that. They are giving a huge portion of fans what they want based on their own votes. Its good PR and fanservice. I don't know how hardcore or casual Japanese Smash fans would react but they'll get over a character specifically put in for western audiences. Plus the character is cute and aesthetically different from every other character.

Also if you were going to make the argument that Shovel Knight in Smash is a gesture to indie developers as a whole I'd agree with that.

I vehemently disagree that characters from Fire Emblem and Shovel Knight are in the same situation though.

Sorry to change topics, but has anyone heard about any maintenance happening soon? Thats been going around.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

IceClimbers

That Shovel Knight amiibo is real, as GAME is now accepting preorders for it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tsuchinoko

The Nindies stream is starting soon apparently.

IceClimbers

According to Yacht Club's website, they plan to continue support for the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products.

Super Mario Maker? ....Smash Bros?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tsuchinoko

Very interesting.

UGXwolf

@CapeSmash: I'm anticipating an announcement. Maybe not characters. Possibly characters. Most likely at least more costumes or stages or something. I would be surprised if this was just a balancing update.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic