Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 24,141 to 24,160 of 27,917

Jazzer94

Megumi wrote:

Can't tell if you're joking or not Jazzer...Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man are in Smash because they had a history with Nintendo. Goku is an anime character, anime characters are NOT getting into Smash, deal with it. lol

Shovel Knight is a VIDEO GAME character, and one that shows up on Nintendo systems, he has a way better chance than Goku or Shrek.

Give me a direct quote from Sakurai where he says only video game characters will make it into Smash also Goku has a long history spanning decades on Nintendo systems just like the others I mentioned.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Rexcalibr

I don't want Goku or Shrek in the game. I want all the characters to have a video game origin, not a movie or anime.

That being said, I don't want Shovel Knight to be DLC either. I don't know much about the game but I have no connection to him at all and seems like such a bland character.

Rexcalibr

TeeJay

Rexcalibr wrote:

I don't want Goku or Shrek in the game. I want all the characters to have a video game origin, not a movie or anime.

I agree with this.

That being said, I don't want Shovel Knight to be DLC either. I don't know much about the game but I have no connection to him at all and seems like such a bland character.

If you had played the game, you would know that he has more personality than Link at the very least.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

NintendoFan64

CapeSmash wrote:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-a...

"Afterwards, they discuss character selections. Sakurai notes some absurd requests for characters such as Spongebob or Goku. When Tomokazu Sugita (the guy in the middle. He’s the voice actor of Chrom and Takamaru) starts mentioning other absurd characters (Like Segeta Sanshiro), Sakurai says, “There’s always Mii Fighters”."

So there you have it. Sakurai considers Goku as an "absurd" character for Smash. lol

And yet people still think he has a chance...Also:
Untitled
Oh my God, why!?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

IceClimbers

Nintendo has said in the past that the character has to originate in a video game to be eligible for Smash. That's the only rule. Goku and Shrek aren't eligible, and the latter is more of a joke than anything. Shovel Knight originated in a video game, so yeah.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Joeynator3000

IceClimbers wrote:

Nintendo has said in the past that the character has to originate in a video game to be eligible for Smash. That's the only rule. Goku and Shrek aren't eligible, and the latter is more of a joke than anything. Shovel Knight originated in a video game, so yeah.

gives you a cookie, lol
I think Jazzer is just trolling us.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Arn0ld

IceClimbers wrote:

I really hope Nintendo sticks to this, do you have a source that backs this? It really puts a nail in the coffin to joke characters (shrek) and characters which don't originate from video games (goku). I love Goku as much as the next anime fan and I wouldnt be outraged if he was in smash but I definitely see why people consider him a ridiculous choice... with that said smash consists of high profile (mostly Nintendo) video game characters and b/c of that I feel like letting characters such as shovel knight and shantae? takes something away from a character being in smash. Characters such as Mario, Link and Pokemon have been successful and iconic for many years and I feel like each video game character in smash bros should be more than one successful indie game or a character with a small but adamant fanbase. That's my two cents

Botw > OoT

3DS Friend Code: 0748-4970-2550 | Nintendo Network ID: Xjarnold

TylerTheCreator

@Xjarnold: But if a lot of people want Shovel Knight in, why not put him in Smash? No, I guess he's not iconic. But, he's very popular at the moment. I think that's enough merit to join Smash.

Edited on by TylerTheCreator

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

MegaMari0

I still want rayman but I'm still pretty happy with what sakurai is putting out.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Arn0ld

TylerTheCreator wrote:

@Xjarnold: But if a lot of people want Shovel Knight in, why not put him in Smash? No, I guess he's not iconic. But, he's very popular at the moment. I think that's enough merit to join Smash.

You said it best, he's popular at the moment, if you allow shovel knight in then what's to stop any other character to enter smash later on that's 'popular at the moment'. and let's say this is where shovel knight peaks, you're stuck with a character that's no longer popular in a High profile franchise

Botw > OoT

3DS Friend Code: 0748-4970-2550 | Nintendo Network ID: Xjarnold

TylerTheCreator

@Xjarnold: Then I guess Shovel Knight won't be in the next installment of Smash and people will move on.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94: not from Sakurai, but Nintendo of America specified VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS when talking about the fighter ballot. Shovel Knight has a better chance than Goku because Goku has about 0% chance. It's pretty hard to have less chance than that.

As fir Shovel Knight, he'd have some hurdles to jump on Yacht Club Games's end. He's popular enough to make a demand, but considering his near non-existence in Japan, gettung Sakurai's attention would be extremely difficult. Short of an overwhelming vote on the ballot leading to Sakurai hetting curious, trying Shovel Knight and completely falling in love with the game and character, he's probably not getting in, but I still feel he's the most likely Indie character to make it in.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@Xjarnold: As a quick rebuttal to your points about Shovel Knight and Shantae, Shovel Knight derives primarily from NES games. He'd fit right in if he could manage to slip into the game somehow. Shantae represented Nintendo systems, first and still often gives Nintendo preference over all other platforms. She'd be justified. Honestly, those are two of the three most likely Indie characters, with Quote likely being the third (from Cave Story, given its high preference to Nintendo and 3DS exclisive version.)

On top of that, unless Yacht Club and WayForward spontaneously decide those characters don't deserve another game, they'll keep being probably about as popular as they are now. Possibly more so in the case of Shovel Knight.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

TuVictus

After not playing the gamepad for a while, I've really gained an appreciation for the Pro Controller. It's so comfortable and well made. Now when I try to smash with the gamepad, I fail miserably. So shout out to that wonderful piece of hardware that Nintendo made! Light yet very durable. And ridiculously long battery life to boot.

TuVictus

veeflames

@Operative I don't get how you can get noobish with the GamePad after using the Pro Controller. The GamePad is actually comfortable, and even if it's bulky, it's not like a player won't be able to reach the buttons.
Try going Off-TV play while playing Smash. That's what I do, and I don't regret it.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

TuVictus

@VeeFlamesNL: the gamepad is fine. The pro controller is just better for me. And I hate off tv play for smash. I prefer the beautiful HD visuals.

TuVictus

veeflames

^Fair enough, then. I'm just saying both the Pro Controller and the GamePad are quite similar; one just requires a greater distance between the two hands. Both are excellent controllers- on par with the GC controller, IMO.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Joeynator3000

Only thing that bugs me about the GamePad (especially in games like Smash or MH3U) are the shoulder buttons, doesn't feel right when pressing them...and I keep pressing the triggers instead, lol.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NintendoFan64

Sorry to change the subject, but the other day, I had a rather nice experience online with somebody. He kicked my ass, but he was very nice, even saying "Good game" in the character select screen. It's nice to run into someone on For Glory who ISN'T a jerk .

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic