Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 2,361 to 2,380 of 27,917

Mickey

@Sony_70 I'm sorry, but they just made Sonic more colorful. Big deal. I LIKE the fact that they made Sonic and several other characters more colorful or more realistic, but (with a few exceptions) they all look the same. It's a new paint-job, not a brand new car like Brawl was (for the most part).

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

SCRAPPER392

@Mickey
How do you know Smash Bros Wii U isn't a new car?.. wait... Just kidding, but seriously, we don't know much of anything. Don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit? Besides, Sonic has looked the same since Master System.
Blue, hedgehog, what else do you expect?

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

adamkop

@Mickey
It's probably because these characters don't need a lot of updating. A lot of assets in Wii games were made at near-HD quality, and levels were rather simple to handle all the polygons. Right now they're aiming for a more seamless experience, where characters don't stand out from the arenas. Anyway, I think that characters will get updated as time goes by, because they're brand-new (they might look similar, but models are completely rebuilt) and some appear to have weird textures (uneven quality, resolution or mapping).

adamkop

Mickey

@SCAR392 You clearly didn't get what I was trying to say. I'll try again for you.

The character models are, for the most part, just the Brawl ones with a new paint job. I'm not expecting Sonic to look radically different, I just would've preferred if they did more than make Sonic more colorful. Brawl's characters (with few exceptions) looked different from the Melee characters and that was cool for me. SSB4's characters look like the Brawl characters except more colorful. Do you get what I was trying to say now?

@adamkop I would've liked some updates. For instance: SS Link instead of the same TP Link we had in Brawl. I could probably name a few more but I'm afraid I'm not eloquent enough to convey why I dislike some of the other ones.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

Snagrio

@Mickey I actually have to agree with you on this. The graphical jump between the last three games was pretty obvious from the get-go, but here beyond the brighter more vibrant colors and the HD shine, there isn't a ton of difference from Brawl. But then again there will most likely be a final polish before the eventual release, and everything does look better overall as is right now.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Mickey

WAIT A MINUTE!

SCAR392 wrote:

Sonic has looked the same since Master System.

Untitled
Untitled
Forgive me, good sir. But I think you should take that part back.

PS: Oh, and Sonic's first real appearance (not counting Rad Mobile since that was on Arcades) was on the Sega Genesis.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

ThePirateCaptain

Keep in mind that we've barely seen the game actually running. From the footage i've seen though, I think there's a pretty noticeable difference between SSB4 and Brawl.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Mickey

CapnPancakes wrote:

Keep in mind that we've barely seen the game actually running. From the footage i've seen though, I think there's a pretty noticeable difference between SSB4 and Brawl.

Again, I'm talking about the character models.

The Mousekeloggery

Orngeblu

Mickey wrote:

Hey, Sonic's back. That's pleasant to hear. How does he look? The same? Well now I know what I'm going to call this game! Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2.0.

Seriously, we're moving to the next generation of consoles. And it's a much more significant jump than Gamecube to Wii (at least, for the Wii U), I'd think that the characters would reflect that. I mean, don't you remember this?:

That was impressive! They all (Kirby notwithstanding) looked new and interesting and (for me at least) it got me pumped for the game! Now with SSB4, if they did the same style of trailer, there would be little to no difference in how they looked. AND BEFORE YOU BEGIN WRITING YOUR REPLY: NO, I'M NOT SAYING THE GAME IS GOING TO BE BAD. ACTUALLY, I THINK IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME! IMAGINE THAT. LIKING SOMETHING WHILE ADMITTING THAT YOU DON'T LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. YOU SHOULD TRY THAT SOMETIME, PERSON WHO WAS GOING TO REPLY. Now that I've got that out of the way: It's hardly a deal-breaker for me, but it still bothers me.

It's ok, I feel the same way. From the looks of it now, it's a Brawl 2.0, and I don't expect anything more than a Brawl 2.0, not until I see it.

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

Budda

Hmm.. I was expecting Sonic on 'Sonic Lost Word' release day..
If I had to daydream I would image that another Sonic Character will be revealed then!
But I think it won't happen.

Edited on by Budda

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

SCRAPPER392

@Mickey
My imagination recognizes retro Sonic and modern Sonic as the same, because it's technically the same character, and the difference isn't that much to begin with.

You expect Sonic to have fur or something? How do you expect to have completely different models when the character hasn't changed at all?

EDIT: BTW, my point was that he's basically been the same for over 20 years. Maybe if you clarify exactly what you expect, people will understand better.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Mickey

@SCAR392
Untitled
Untitled

There. That is what I expect. And how do I expect "completely different" (didn't put it that way but whatever) models when the character hasn't changed "at all"? First: You're right. The character hasn't changed. It's just that the original model from Brawl wasn't a very good representation of Sonic. Now, I could sit here, typing out every subtle difference between Sonic from Brawl and Sonic from the games, and it wouldn't make any difference. Quite frankly, it'd be a waste of time. The point I'm trying to convey to you here is that I'm disappointed that there isn't much of a difference between a lot of SSB4's characters and Brawl's characters in terms of looks.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

SCRAPPER392

@Mickey
Ya, and that's exactly my point that he can't really be changed much unless you want to add fur, or redesign the character.

He's a simple character. I get what you mean my graphical improvements, but Smash Bros. was basically a launch game and they spect more time on Brawl than Melee. There's only so much graphic fidelity you can achieve on such simple characters. From what I can tell, you're pretty much asking the characters to be completely different.

Sonic looks the same in Lost World as he does here.

Qwest

Mickey

@SCAR392 No, that wasn't what I was saying. My point is that the character himself hasn't changed, it's just that the Brawl version of the character looks different from the regular version of the character. It's like Bowser from Brawl. They changed the character model slightly to look more like the actual character. It didn't have to be a completely different character model, it could've just been a subtle change, but all they did was make the character more colorful like a couple of other characters in the game that we've seen so far.

I won't ask you to look at Sonic through a looking glass and spot every little difference, but what I will ask is that you understand that there is a difference.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

Sleepingmudkip

Guys calm down you both been going at it.....just saying

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Norik

Sonic is cool and all, but Nintendo needs to:

1. Give us Captain Falcon, Falco, and Marth already. These three characters alone account for nearly 40% of the total Melee competitive scene...
2. Make the game more like melee. Seriously, just watch:

Edited on by Norik

It's hard to free fools from the chains they revere.

MrWalkieTalkie

What really excites me is the fact that there STILL hasn't been any actual newcomer announcements since the 3 that were revealed at E3! Anything can happen with the newcomers!

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

Captain_Balko

There is something I still haven't gotten over - the name of the game. "Super Smash Bros"... Really? I have Super Smash Bros. It's for my Nintendo 64.

This isn't a reboot, why is the name being rebooted? Is its full name "Super Smash Bros for Wii U" like the banner says on the website?

Why not call them "Super Smash Bros Wii U" and "Super Smash Bros 3DS", then? Or even "Super Smash Bros U" or "Super Smash Bros 3D"? The only difference in terms of the name is that the logo appears red on 3DS and blue on Wii U. Even "Super Smash Bros Blue" and "Super Smash Bros Red" would make more sense than the same name twice.

Captain_Balko

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic