Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 23,121 to 23,140 of 27,917

UGXwolf

As I've said before, I classify Lucas as a variant, along with Wolf. It's clear their move sets were based on an existing one, but they wound up not being even remotely similar. I think the biggest shame of this grouping is how small it is. We seriously need more variants and less... Marths... I want to believe that Roy is going to be a variant (assuming he comes back) of Marth, instead of a clone, but considering neither Mewtwo nor Lucas appear to be any different from their usual selves, I'm not gonna get my hopes up for this.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Rexcalibr

I never realized how annoying Sonic is until tonight. Played someone who just kept spamming his roll and then used the spring anytime I was on the edge to knock me down. For some reason, it's very hard to recover coming up after getting hit by it.

Rexcalibr

Pkmns

Rexcalibr wrote:

I never realized how annoying Sonic is until tonight. Played someone who just kept spamming his roll and then used the spring anytime I was on the edge to knock me down. For some reason, it's very hard to recover coming up after getting hit by it.

Just do some perfect shields and airdodge.

Pkmns

Rexcalibr

Whenever I play 1vs1 For Glory and someone exits the lobby after a match, I always get someone enter the lobby after and immediately exit and then someone else comes in and does the same thing. I don't get the reasoning behind this. Are they going into my profile to check my location and figure if I'm too far the connection will be laggy?

I don't get it, and I don't even know if you can check someone's location on their Mii Verse profile. I don't even know how to send someone a message. Can you?? I've found the online networking and communication between players really bare, if it even exists at all. I found it much better on XBOX 360 compared to this.

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

Whenever I play 1vs1 For Glory and someone exits the lobby after a match, I always get someone enter the lobby after and immediately exit and then someone else comes in and does the same thing. I don't get the reasoning behind this. Are they going into my profile to check my location and figure if I'm too far the connection will be laggy?

I don't get it, and I don't even know if you can check someone's location on their Mii Verse profile. I don't even know how to send someone a message. Can you?? I've found the online networking and communication between players really bare, if it even exists at all. I found it much better on XBOX 360 compared to this.

Well, yeah, even given online functionality, Smash still isn't an online game. It was developed with local multiplayer in mind, the online just being a few quick and easy mode set-ups to allow it and keep it running.

As for the players joining and dropping out, I believe that's because the ping takes too long, so the game drops the connection. If this is happening multiple times in a row, you probably need better Internet.

Edited on by UGXwolf

Rexcalibr

Honestly, anyone who develops a multiplayer game in this day and age with the focus being on local play is doing something wrong.

That's something Nintendo really needs to change with their next console.

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

Honestly, anyone who develops a multiplayer game in this day and age with the focus being on local play is doing something wrong.

There are enough people doing online almost exclusively. I'm sorry if you don't have friends in your immediate area that have the time of day to come over and play, but some of us do, and those of us that do would like that some games do actually focus on local multiplay, though not necessarily being designed without online at all, so that we don't always feel like we could be getting a better experience playing with people we can't see and will most likely mock us for stupid reasons that we'll almost certainly never meet in real life instead of playing with our close personal friends. I think a bigger problem in this industry is the number of games dropping offline single and multiplayer altogether. It's really sad to see that developers treat all of us as if we don't have friends, but its even sadder to see how few people seem bothered by this, implying that maybe a lot of us really don't have friends.

Bleh, I'm rambling, now. MY POINT IS: There are enough online-focused games. Let Nintendo keep making games that don't expect you to shell out an extra $50-60/year for a service that should be free, anyways and another $60+/month so that you have the Internet to run said games.

Grumblevolcano

While I am one of those in the position where I have no-one to play Nintendo games with locally, in general I agree with @UGXwolf. Single player and local multiplayer are still very important, it frustrates me too that local tournaments nowadays are having to rely on online for them to actually happen. Back in the past there was LAN which created a very stable connection between multiple consoles, nowadays you can lose a tournament because of "you have been disconnected" type errors (I actually saw this happen at the huge prize MK8 tournament final at EGX last year, the prize for 1st was of course every 2015 Wii U game for free and a load of other stuff).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

There are enough people doing online almost exclusively. I'm sorry if you don't have friends in your immediate area that have the time of day to come over and play, but some of us do, and those of us that do would like that some games do actually focus on local multiplay, though not necessarily being designed without online at all, so that we don't always feel like we could be getting a better experience playing with people we can't see and will most likely mock us for stupid reasons that we'll almost certainly never meet in real life instead of playing with our close personal friends. I think a bigger problem in this industry is the number of games dropping offline single and multiplayer altogether. It's really sad to see that developers treat all of us as if we don't have friends, but its even sadder to see how few people seem bothered by this, implying that maybe a lot of us really don't have friends.

Bleh, I'm rambling, now. MY POINT IS: There are enough online-focused games. Let Nintendo keep making games that don't expect you to shell out an extra $50-60/year for a service that should be free, anyways and another $60+/month so that you have the Internet to run said games.

lol wow, it has nothing to do with not having friends, and I'd gladly pay 50$ a year if that meant a better online network (actually being able to send messages to people, voice chat, lobbies, etc). Not that the Wii U's online is terrible but it seems very dated and basic compared to other systems.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Sample_Text

Smitherenez wrote:

Wow, I just discovered the awesomeNess of Ness! He literally solves all the problems I have with match ups (mega man, dedede) that cause my other mains trouble. I feel like training him right now I do feel like I am spamming PK fire and thunder a bit too much ATM.

Ness may have solved those matchup problems, but he has problems with many other characters. His recovery is so easy to gimp. If you go against a Villager in FG you can consider yourself dead.

Not much to say here. I like Nintendo. That's about it.

Grumblevolcano

I've thought up a great troll Smash reveal trailer.

It starts off with Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (DS) Chapter 5 being onscreen, it goes through the initial cutscene after units have been selected revealing 5 characters to the game (Shadow Dragon) roster. The screen then cuts to the first enemy turn screen where Wolf gets 2 critical hits against archers and is killed by the third archer, he has his death speech as it is ingame and then the screen cuts to Marth taking on the Arena. This reveals the challengers to be Fox and Falco of which they duel on the Coliseum stage but just as Marth is about to get a critical on both of them (Final Smash), Wolf (from the Star Fox games) comes out of nowhere in his Wolfen and KOs Marth. Footage which shows off Wolf's moves follows of which directly after the trailer is finished, Shadow Dragon (DS) is confirmed for Wii U VC directly after the presentation.

Not only would people think during the trailer that Roy (FE6) is confirmed but also that Sakurai is trolling Wolf fans.

NOTE: With great tactics, Wolf doesn't have to die when you're playing Shadow Dragon.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kai_

Is Wii Fit Trainer's only tactic to spam the football off the edge of the stage? Any time I come across one (which is rare anyway) that's all they ever do. It's incredibly annoying, and barely even playing.

Kai_

3DS Friend Code: 0989-2471-3448

MegaMari0

^^ yes. It get's irritating but it's not hard to dodge or punish. You know which one is annoying as heck. a Kirby who tries to Suicide with you by hanging on the ledge and tries to suck you in when you get close. I lost by sheer luck because of that technique. I usually do well with Megaman in most of my games but this guy made me pull out my Toon Link and bombed him to oblivion. Idiot did this 3 times and STILL didn't get the hint. When he finally played seriously he started spamming UP/Down B.. Again, punished. Some players never learn or just sandbag until they quit.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Kai_

munchakoopas wrote:

^^ yes. It get's irritating but it's not hard to dodge or punish. You know which one is annoying as heck. a Kirby who tries to Suicide with you by hanging on the ledge and tries to suck you in when you get close. I lost by sheer luck because of that technique. I usually do well with Megaman in most of my games but this guy made me pull out my Toon Link and bombed him to oblivion. Idiot did this 3 times and STILL didn't get the hint. When he finally played seriously he started spamming UP/Down B.. Again, punished. Some players never learn or just sandbag until they quit.

I'm guilty of this with DDD but I mostly aim to spit them under the stage if they're stupid enough to come near, I only suicide with them if I have high damage to maintain a lead.

Kai_

3DS Friend Code: 0989-2471-3448

Smitherenez

Sample_Text wrote:

Smitherenez wrote:

Wow, I just discovered the awesomeNess of Ness! He literally solves all the problems I have with match ups (mega man, dedede) that cause my other mains trouble. I feel like training him right now I do feel like I am spamming PK fire and thunder a bit too much ATM.

Ness may have solved those matchup problems, but he has problems with many other characters. His recovery is so easy to gimp. If you go against a Villager in FG you can consider yourself dead.

That is very true! I have like 5 other characters under my belt, all of which can take the villager with ease. But one of my friends is so 'skilled' with Dedede and Mega man. So I started experimenting against him with characters I normally don't use. Ness was able to floor them easily for the rest of the evening.

Please check out my Youtube gaming channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/FullHDPixelletsplays

Nintendo Network ID: Smitherenez

MegaMari0

Plateface wrote:

munchakoopas wrote:

I'm guilty of this with DDD but I mostly aim to spit them under the stage if they're stupid enough to come near, I only suicide with them if I have high damage to maintain a lead.

Grrr... Its a legit tactic to me if you actually fight though....not just hang there the entire time waiting for me.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

thegreninja47

[quote=Rexcalibr]Ness seems like he'd be interesting to use but I honestly just never identified with him as a character. I mildly enjoyed Earthbound on the SNES but never enough to actually finish it or consider myself a fan. I don't know anything about Lucas but it looks like he's just a Ness clone, both visually and his play style. I wish more of these characters like Pit/Dark Pit, Lucina/Marth, Fox/Falco, Mario/Dr Mario just remained alternate skins because they're too similar to their counterparts to warrant a character slot.
Lucas, and Falco are not clones they have different variations like pk fire with ness hits multiple times Lucas' pk fire hits once. Also all of lucas' aerials are different from ness, Falco has a different laser different down air that spikes, and more. I have not listed all the differences.

Edited on by thegreninja47

thegreninja47

Nintendo Network ID: thegreninja47

TeeJay

Lucas and Falco are the type of characters that at first glance ( and I mean the VERY first glace) seem like clones but when you take a minute to look at them closely you see they are very different.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Rexcalibr

You are probably right about Fox/Falco and Ness/Lucas. These aren't characters I use so I was assuming but I guess they're more like a Ken/Ryu variation. Pit and Dark Pit though I use and they'realmost exactly the same.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

The alternate skins are something they should do more of though. Its amazing and the Koopaling/BJ ones being the most notable. It was so well done despite them doing size scaling to match them all as the same size.

Rexcalibr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic