Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 27,917

BandG

A flutter jump doesn't automatically make him not a clone. Although Luigi is probably the least cloned clone, but i think that toon link should have a completely different move set because in brawl he made link almost useless

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

Romeo

okay, could someone please enlighten me

what do you all mean with "clone"? (i have not played wind waker yet.. if it has anything to do with that: no spoilers please)

the way i see it.. there are 2 versions of link, the regular one and the cartoonish one from wind waker

Romeo

Sleepingmudkip

Guys give the cones a chance they might change up all their moves plus how do we know they wont have diffrent moves the game is still in development and no clone had gameplay footage yet

@Romeo a clone is a character that plays exactly the same as another one such as luigi and mario and link and toon link

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Mickey

Romeo wrote:

okay, could someone please enlighten me

what do you all mean with "clone"? (i have not played wind waker yet.. if it has anything to do with that: no spoilers please)

the way i see it.. there are 2 versions of link, the regular one and the cartoonish one from wind waker

A clone is a character that plays remarkably similar to a preexisting character. For example: Toon Link had the exact same moves as Link in Brawl. One of the only differences being that he looked like Link from Wind Waker instead of Link from Twilight Princess.

From what I understand: People take issue with clones because they take up some space that could've been used to introduce a new character (or even bring back an obscure character from the NES and/or SNES days) with an original moveset and an actual character besides being that character from this game instead of the other.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

shingi_70

Clone's suck. They take your Identity and tarnish your good name. Really wish Nintendo would give us more footage of Gameplay.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Romeo

oh, i see
thanks!!

lets hope toon link will have his own abilities/moves then!

Romeo

mamp

These pics aren't doing Toon Link any favors they still make it look like he plays like regular Link. @Mickey I thought toon Link was faster than regular Link at least my friend played toon link instead of Link because he used to say that Link is too heavy and slow compared to the Melee version and he didn't like him so he switched to toon link. Whethere this is true or not IDK I never played Link but I did notice there were hardly any link players as opposed to toon link players.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Mickey

@mamp I'm not so sure myself. Notice how I said "one of the only differences" since I really don't know and I really don't care.

The Mousekeloggery

DreamyViridi

Y'know, that's one thing I wonder. At the end of the day; Sakurai decides who gets in, right? Has he ever stated that one particular character couldn't make it because someone was 'taking up a slot'? It seems to me that people are just getting upset that their precious dream Smash Bros. character choice won't make it in but a character they happen to hate did make the roster. I'm pretty sure that (at least for the time being) we practically have no say on the matter, so why pretend that we do?

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Sleepingmudkip

DreamyViridi wrote:

Y'know, that's one thing I wonder. At the end of the day; Sakurai decides who gets in, right? Has he ever stated that one particular character couldn't make it because someone was 'taking up a slot'? It seems to me that people are just getting upset that their precious dream Smash Bros. character choice won't make it in but a character they happen to hate did make the roster. I'm pretty sure that (at least for the time being) we practically have no say on the matter, so why pretend that we do?

B/C this is the internet and everyone thinks they control everyone else....

SCRAPPER392

@DreamyViridi
That's completely true, but it's kind of hard to ignore that better decisions could have been made.
Majora's Mask Link could technically be a better "clone" than Toon Link, since he would have his Deku, Zora, and Goron transformations which would throw 3 more vital species from the Zelda series into the mix.

In the end, I really don't mind. It's still going to be a fun game. Really the series that seems to be the worst with "clones" is Starfox, though.
MEH.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DreamyViridi

@SCAR392 - I won't deny that, though MM Link having 4 "alternatives" (himself + 3 masks) would be a bit much I think. Plus, they had Melee to do that but they didn't. Pokémon Trainer's 3 "alternatives" (for example) is as high as the number of 'transformations' should go. Anyway, characters seem to be revealed based on recent or upcoming releases. So in that regard, MM Link would be rather unlikely. Although it's not like I can predict alternate futures so what do I know?

And you're right, the game will still be really fun to play. No doubt! Also agree on the matter of Star Fox. Falco had decent changes from Melee to Brawl but he still feels a bit like a Fox clone.

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Uncle_Franklin

I'm quite acquiescent about character selection now.

The only person who will get exactly what they want is Sakurai, but they'll be enough that will please me.

Uncle_Franklin

Mickey

DreamyViridi wrote:

(You suddenly forgetting about this aside) what I got from that is that we should accept everything Sakurai decides to do, give up, and leave our personal opinions, views, and our sense of individuality at the door because it's still going to be good in the end no matter what characters get included.

I know it's going to be good, but I think it could be better if they make some omissions based on the fact that this project is really taking a lot out of Sakurai, and that we could really do without these glorified alternate costumes.

Nobody really wants Toon Link, right? I mean, nobody was actively asking for Toon Link to appear so I assume the Earth wouldn't sit still if we didn't get to see Link in the Wind Waker style again, right? You could've just used your imagination and played as Link, right? Look: It's not about how "people are just getting upset that their precious dream Smash Bros. character choice won't make it in but a character they happen to hate did make the roster", it's about how we already had this character. Here he is:
Untitled
Look at him. It's the same sword-wielding, world-saving, Peter Pan-impersonating hero we all know and love except he's realistic. We didn't need another. Sakurai made the decision to include Toon Link, and I (along with everyone else) have a right to disagree with it.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

Sleepingmudkip

@Mickey i was secretly rooting for toon link i love WW more then skyward and twilight...yup thats right...

BandG

Its like making The old Wario, and the new, biker one different characters, instead of just a costume change.

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

KingDunsparce

Eh, I like Toon Link, so whatever. As long as Captain Falcon gets in (which he will). Besides, I've got my modded Brawl for characters I want if it doesn't go well...

Edited on by KingDunsparce

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

DreamyViridi

Thank you, @DestinyMan. You pretty much summed up my feelings right there.
At the end of the day, this is Sakurai work of art. It's going to take eons of time and effort. I imagine tons of pressure is put on him for literally everything about the game. He has to make steady small brush stokes on a HUGE canvas. What he doesn't need is us taking our cans of favourite coloured paint and throwing it all over his potential masterpiece; catch my drift?

Disappointment is fine so long as you don't run it into the ground, but what can you do but accept the times ahead?

Mario Maker Levels

OdnetninAges

Mickey wrote:

Nobody really wants Toon Link, right? I mean, nobody was actively asking for Toon Link to appear so I assume the Earth wouldn't sit still if we didn't get to see Link in the Wind Waker style again, right?

This is a message I received from one of my friends in a Gmail thread regarding the new Smash Bros. game on June 11th:

"I will be so pissed if Ike and Toon Link don't make a comeback =.= Same with Marth, but there is more chance of him being there than Ike and Toon Link."

Then again, this one particular friend complains about everything.

Edited on by OdnetninAges

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic