Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 22,581 to 22,600 of 27,917

veeflames

So I guess I'm pratically the only person who doesn't want to see Ryu in Smash... at least, not yet? I mean, he's the star of his own popular fighting game! And there are way more deserving third parties, both new and old, such as Snake or Chase McCain. Or even Bayo.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Rogueleader0908

Ryu is someone I wouldn't want in smash. You could say that since he is dlc I couldn't buy him but I HAVE to buy all of the fighters. Roy though is amazing.

Edited on by Rogueleader0908

Rogueleader0908

Nintendo Network ID: Rogueleader0908

TeeJay

So hey, I know we're all talking about bigger news at the moment, but I just wanted to share a little thing I noticed since the update went live real quick.

The mii testing room zooms out now. Pretty neat.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Pootypie

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

So I guess I'm pratically the only person who doesn't want to see Ryu in Smash... at least, not yet? I mean, he's the star of his own popular fighting game! And there are way more deserving third parties, both new and old, such as Snake or Chase McCain. Or even Bayo.

I don't want Ryu in Smash at all. I would seriously prefer Shrek over Ryu even...

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

FriedSquid

I would love to see Ryu in Smash if it will really happen, though I only wonder how unique of a fighter he would be. (besides Hadouken, all he really does is kick and punch) Didn't Sakurai mention he was considered for Smash but didn't feel he was interesting enough for Smash and traditional fighters should stay in their own genres, or something like that? Maybe I'm just rememberig things wrong...

Edit: maybe this is what I was thinking of: http://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding...

So basically my point is I wonder why, if this rumor is true, all of a sudden Sakurai would change his mind and how unique Ryu would really be.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

MsJubilee

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

I don't want Ryu in Smash at all. I would seriously prefer Shrek over Ryu even...

Man you're just salty with the Diddy nerf.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Pootypie

TwilightAngel wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Man you're just salty with the Diddy nerf.

I will admit I'm INCREDIBLY salt about his nerf, and I don't even main him.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Pancake_Phil

I wouldn't mind Ryu personally. Though whilst I liked Roy, he'll just be the second clone of Marth. Much like Wolf would be for Fox.

I'd prefer no clones in my humble opinion. I'm hoping for King K Rool, Bomberman, Inklings or Sora.

Nintendo Network ID: Falcon1991

2DS Friend Code: 0104-1799-6687

Tsuchinoko

Pancake_Phil wrote:

I wouldn't mind Ryu personally. Though whilst I liked Roy, he'll just be the second clone of Marth. Much like Wolf would be for Fox.

I'd prefer no clones in my humble opinion. I'm hoping for King K Rool, Bomberman, Inklings or Sora.

Saying that Wolf is a clone the same way Roy is shows you don't know what a clone character is, or how to properly compare one thing to another.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Pancake_Phil

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Pancake_Phil wrote:

Saying that Wolf is a clone the same way Roy is shows you don't know what a clone character is, or how to properly compare one thing to another.

I've played every Smash Bros growing up and regularly play 3ds and Wii U Smash.

If you like then, he is a semi-clone.

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Clone

It is just one of those Smash topics that you'll always get different thoughts on.

Edited on by Pancake_Phil

Nintendo Network ID: Falcon1991

2DS Friend Code: 0104-1799-6687

UGXwolf

@Pancake_Phil As a Wolf main, calling Wolf a clone is disappointing. Hus specials and final smash are clearly spin-offs of Fox's, but none of them work the same way or fill the same purpose. Meanwhile, his standards, tilts, lack of infinite jab, aerials, smashes, grab, throws, stature, speed, weight, maneuverability, and overall playstyle are nothing like Fox's. He has exactly five moves that look like Fox's moves and if you're playing him right, you barely even use them.

Putting Wolf and Roy on the same level shows a clear lack of understanding and/or irrational distaste for variant and clone characters. So let's set this straight, now. I consoder there to be three types of clones. Dark Pit, Lucina, and Roy (as well as early versions of Luigi and almost all Melee clones) are just plain clones. They show little to no variation from their original, usualky being a minor hitbox or status change.
Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Dr. Mario and the like are semi-clones. These are characters that share almost all of their moveset with the original, but often have major stat changes that make them play very differently or one or two moves the other doesn't have.
Wolf and Lucas are variants. These are characters heavily inspired by another character's moveset, usually using similar-but-not-the-same specials as the original and having a nearly unique moveset aside from that.

Now for the part where opinion actually matters! Variants are great. They cut down on dev time and resources, but they still present something the roster didn't have before.
Semi-clones are annoying, but acceptable. Ganondorf, especially. He's a unique character, he needs a unique move set. Toon Link could be more than a quicker, lighter Link. I wish they'd put more effort and make these guys variants, but oh well. I wouldn't want then to get cut by any means.
Clones are tricky, though. I'm only ok with them if they took little to no extra effort to make, because the alternative wouldn't be other characters, it'd be an empty slot, and in Smash four, the few actual clones we have make sense. Of course Lucina and Dark Pit would play like Marth and Pit. One adopted Marth's fighting style in her own game and the other is a literal clone, or rather a mirror image of Pit. And Dr. Mario IS Mario, so duh. Just as long as it's not taking a spot from a more deserving entry, I'm fine with it.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

NintyMan wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

CapeSmash wrote:

Well... looks like Roy and Ryu are coming to Smash. https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627

THE HYPE TRAIN CONTINUES!

I don't see how that is confirmation?

Since it never showed up in the game's data until the DLC update, I think it has a rather good chance to happen.

Again, just because there are files for it doesn't mean it will be in. This shows there was at least some consideration to it, but proves little more than that. You may ask "well why would they have it in the update, if it wasn't gonna happen?" Two possible answers: 1) "Why did they have the files in the game, itself, if it wasn't gonna happen?" Wouldn't be the first time they've left useless files in the game, somewhere because the concept involved was removed. 2) Sakurai or Namco were aware people have a tendency to do those and left them in as a joke or troll move. Wouldn't be the first time someone's hidden easter eggs in the coding itself.

Eel

Yeah... I don't think Nintendo or Namco would go around stealing other companies intellectual property to make an obscure joke.

If it's already in the game's code, there's little to do about it. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DefHalan

If Ryu was in the game, I feel like he might play similar to Little Mac. Not sure why I feel like that, I just do.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

UGXwolf

Morpheel wrote:

Yeah... I don't think Nintendo or Namco would go around stealing other companies intellectual property to make an obscure joke.

If it's already in the game's code, there's little to do about it. Let's just wait and see what happens.

It wouldn't be stealing, since Capcom is already credited in the game and a quick consultation would remove nearly all legal issues with something like this. Besides, that doesn't stop it from being a remnant of Ryu being considered and/or worked on.

@DefHalen He wouldn't. I think a lot of people draw this conclusion because they're both fighters that do a lot of punching (and kicking, in Ryu's case) so they'd logically need to be up close and personal to do any serious damage, but Ryu would actually have some air game, a decent recovery or two, and a projectile attack. Their final smashes would be similar, though. Dark or light Ryu? Hmmm... I would say dark so he could finish it off with the Raging Demon, but light could work, too.

DefHalan

UGXwolf wrote:

He wouldn't. I think a lot of people draw this conclusion because they're both fighters that do a lot of punching (and kicking, in Ryu's case) so they'd logically need to be up close and personal to do any serious damage, but Ryu would actually have some air game, a decent recovery or two, and a projectile attack. Their final smashes would be similar, though. Dark or light Ryu? Hmmm... I would say dark so he could finish it off with the Raging Demon, but light could work, too.

I don't think they will be clones, but I think Ryu would have better ground play than air but his air would still be better than Little Macs. I just think they will be similar, not a clone.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Jazzer94

DefHalan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

He wouldn't. I think a lot of people draw this conclusion because they're both fighters that do a lot of punching (and kicking, in Ryu's case) so they'd logically need to be up close and personal to do any serious damage, but Ryu would actually have some air game, a decent recovery or two, and a projectile attack. Their final smashes would be similar, though. Dark or light Ryu? Hmmm... I would say dark so he could finish it off with the Raging Demon, but light could work, too.

I don't think they will be clones, but I think Ryu would have better ground play than air but his air would still be better than Little Macs. I just think they will be similar, not a clone.

I'd say he would be balanced in both given that is how he is in Street Fighter.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

IceClimbers

DefHalan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

So like Wolf in comparison to Fox or (this is stretching it, but whatever) Mewtwo to Lucario.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic