Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 20,281 to 20,300 of 27,917

Joeynator3000

Uploading a new video, showing off my DK Amiibo beating the crap out of me and winning. (mainly because I decided to do a suicide jump for no reason, lol)
EDIT: I am leaving in a few, though...so I'll post the link right now, and just check on it in an hour or so.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Pootypie

Jazzer94 wrote:

Xiao_Pai wrote:

Yeah Smash is supposed to be fun, not competitions and having everything 100% perfect.

Implying that competitions/tournaments and having everything 100% aren't fun for people is beyond ignorant.

The game is mainly for fun not for competitions, if the game was made to be completely competitive then not everyone would have the ability to play it. I don't see how what Xiao said is ignorant if the game isn't meant for competitions only. It may be competitive, but the fun factor in the game is more important than the fame of winning tournaments and knowing all of these... "advanced techniques" that basically makes the game less fun. Play the game the way it's supposed fo be...

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Joeynator3000

video has no views T.T
goes to corner

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NintendoFan64

Xiao_Pai wrote:

video has no views T.T
goes to corner

I checked it out, if that makes you feel any better.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Joeynator3000

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Xiao_Pai wrote:

video has no views T.T
goes to corner

I checked it out, if that makes you feel any better.

Okies. -w-
Wished I knew how to get more popular on that stupid site. lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Storytime7

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

The game is mainly for fun not for competitions, if the game was made to be completely competitive then not everyone would have the ability to play it. I don't see how what Xiao said is ignorant if the game isn't meant for competitions only. It may be competitive, but the fun factor in the game is more important than the fame of winning tournaments and knowing all of these... "advanced techniques" that basically makes the game less fun. Play the game the way it's supposed to be...

Competition IS fun. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this concept, but many people get into the competitive scene because they enjoy mastering the game's mechanics. Also, telling people to play Smash the way it was intended to be played is just ridiculous. If someone owns a copy of the game, then they can play it however they choose to.

Edited on by Storytime7

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

KO-Cub

Jazzer94 wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

I feel a lot of games can, and sometimes are, made competitive by its fanbase, even if said game was not made with them in mind. Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Pokémon (debatable), Kid Icarus; I imagine Splatoon will be the same case as well in the future. Even if a game is mostly about fun, if there's any strategy involved, its fanbase can make a competitive scene out of it.

When the main focus of a multiplayer game is winning it is competitive by nature.

Especially among friends. Get beaten by your friends and then you want to be better than them. You'll hack a couple of game hours developing combo's and your skill to 'Wow' your friends. I this is where Smash Competitiveness basically started.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

MsJubilee

Storytime7 wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

The game is mainly for fun not for competitions, if the game was made to be completely competitive then not everyone would have the ability to play it. I don't see how what Xiao said is ignorant if the game isn't meant for competitions only. It may be competitive, but the fun factor in the game is more important than the fame of winning tournaments and knowing all of these... "advanced techniques" that basically makes the game less fun. Play the game the way it's supposed to be...

Competition IS fun. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this concept, but many people get into the competitive scene because they enjoy mastering the game's mechanics. Also, telling people to play Smash the way it was intended to be played is just ridiculous. If someone owns a copy of the game, then they can play it however they choose to.

Except if they go online and just spam and thinks that's how you play the game.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

KO-Cub

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

As goes for those techs that weren't supposed to be in this game. J-Cancel Glide and Perfect Pivoting. If Sakurai wanted people to know how to J-Cancel Glide or Perfect Pivot. They would be in the 'Tips and Hints.'

Edited on by KO-Cub

MsJubilee

MetalK9 wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

As goes for those techs that weren't supposed to be in this game. J-Cancel Glide and Perfect Pivoting. If Sakurai wanted people to know how to J-Cancel Glide or Perfect Pivot. They would be in the 'Tips and Hints.'

Maybe he forgot to put those tips in?Nah he couldn't have.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Storytime7

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

In that case, then it's a matter of an experienced player needing to punish those bad habits when they come across people still learning the basics. Even people who spam have a right to play however they choose to, but the ones that want to improve will eventually realize they're being too predictable if a better player punishes mistakes they make.

MetalK9 wrote:

I nod to this gif. of Diddy getting owned by Megaman, but I think it was luck.

http://kotaku.com/a-compilation-of-people-ko-ing-diddy-kong-1...

No, that's just one of the better Mega Man players out there (Zucco).

Storytime7

MsJubilee

[quote=TheGreatBrawler]

Storytime7 wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

In that case, then it's a matter of an experienced player needing to punish those bad habits when they come across people still learning the basics. Even people who spam have a right to play however they choose to, but the ones that want to improve will eventually realize they're being too predictable if a better player punishes mistakes they make.
I guess i need to call myself the spamming knight destroying spammers in the thick of night! Cleaning up the servers with Dr.Mario's medicine

KO-Cub

Storytime7 wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with the learning curve. Because Smash would want you to be the very best with thorough tutorials and tips. Like what Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 did with the missions. They teach you combo's. But for Smash 4, the game just tells you some nifty things like Little Mac get's invincibility at the beginning of his Jolt Haymaker and Samus's Tilt Side B will be different if you did it like a smash attack. Stuff like that. This game could be much more competitive by having a tutorial where your character get's pinned in situations and you have to choose the best option like Block, Dodge or Retaliate to get the best outcome. But Smash just tells you the point of the game and how. Smash is competitive but I don't think Sakurai wanted it to go this far.

Pootypie

MetalK9 wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Storytime7 wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

Basically what MetalK9 said, I'm not telling ahyone to play the game the way I want it to be played. I'm saying to stop coming up witht his techniques that's not intended to be in the game.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Storytime7

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

Basically what MetalK9 said, I'm not telling anyone to play the game the way I want it to be played. I'm saying to stop coming up witht his techniques that's not intended to be in the game.

Players don't make these techniques up. They're in the game, so people can use them if they want to. Also, telling people to not use techniques that are in the game IS telling them to not play the game in a specific way. It is selfish to suggest people should not play the game in a way they enjoy just because it bothers you, especially when it's their copy of the game. You're better off ignoring that part of the Smash community if you don't like people playing it as anything other than a party game because you'll get nowhere telling people to play the game how you want them to just because Sakurai intended for it to be played that way.

Storytime7

UGXwolf

What I'm noticing is that people seem to be ignoring a few facts or details. It seems like no one really thinks and realizes that there's no one single way to respond to a situation. Where one gamer will throw a fit for losing to cheap tactics and go find someone else to play against, another might think about how they lost and find a counter. Smash is relatively well-built in that almost no tactic is without a counter. At least no basic one.

What I'm also noticing is a general misconception that the hardcore-competitive community is not and never was the target audience of Smash. Sakurai catered to them about as much as he was ever likely to by going "here, you can make any stage play like Final Destination." Sakurai has made it no secret that they were never the focus of the game at any point in time. He's pointed out again and again that Smash was a response to how hardcore-exclusive Fighting Games have become. It's to the point that some games either come with or give you a method of finding the exact number of frames before, in, and after an attack. Those are games that are expecting pinpoint accuracy from an unnamed gamer that may or may not just wanna sit down and wail on someone for a few minutes. Smash provides that approach. Looking for a challenge? Cool, there's plenty of it to be had, but if you just wanna kick the crap out of some CPUs, that's cool, too. You have that option.

What hardcore-competitive players need to realize is that Smash is NOT their game. Smash isn't around to please them. It's around to be a unique alternative to the typical hardcore-exclusive FGC. Now notice, I've been trying to specify this entire time that it's the HARDCORE players that I'm referring to. This is because I don't usually hear casual-competitive players whining about missing techs or how this stage isn't as balanced as that one. It's always the hardcore players that want to know every single little detail about the game to the most minor of frame calculations so that they can pull off flawless combos. In some cases, this is specifically to lock out unskilled or unexperienced players, but usually, it's in an attempt to do better in competition. That makes sense and it's a perfectly acceptable way to play a game that's intended to be played however you want to play it, as opposed to how a community or elitist group says you should play it.

And @Jazzer94 The reason you keep hearing people say that Competitive Smashers prefer those settings is because that's what we hear out of them. We get plenty of people running out and saying "you're playing it wrong," but I don't hear very many of those people sound any more educated than the people you're attacking. If you want to change this perception, don't attack the people getting the perception, attack the people giving it, because communication is more about being understood than understanding. (I know this'll go right over some people's heads, but you have to realize that it's the job of the speaker to speak to his or her audience and be understood. It is not the audience's job to know exactly what the speaker means when he says stuff they aren't familiar with.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@XiaoPai I think I gave him two Knight's Capes and a Mystical Magical Stone, I would personally recommend using some Desperate Defender or Desperate Immortal items, though, as the invincibility should last long enough for an attack-bound Ganondorf to do some serious work.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Jazzer94

UGXwolf wrote:

And Jazzer94 The reason you keep hearing people say that Competitive Smashers prefer those settings is because that's what we hear out of them. We get plenty of people running out and saying "you're playing it wrong," but I don't hear very many of those people sound any more educated than the people you're attacking. If you want to change this perception, don't attack the people getting the perception, attack the people giving it, because communication is more about being understood than understanding. (I know this'll go right over some people's heads, but you have to realize that it's the job of the speaker to speak to his or her audience and be understood. It is not the audience's job to know exactly what the speaker means when he says stuff they aren't familiar with.)

@UGXwolf Watch any real top player or Smash stream and no they don't say things like "Smash can only ever be played stock and timed on these stages for every person buying smash", actually name me examples because currently the representatives of the scene have been very positive. I correct stupid comments from both sides unfortunately here on NL it is mostly people completely misinterpreting what Smash is which is an open ended book it can be played however you want to and the fact it has/had training modes and tournament modes show that it also has a competitive side to deny that is just simply ignorant end of. On another point to state that playing in competitions isn't fun on a general level is just stupid as people don't hold the same interest or goals.

(Some of this also relates to the rest of the post I didn't quote)

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic