Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 17,241 to 17,260 of 27,917

Pootypie

I ain't salty, I'm made out of metal!

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Pootypie

Why do so many like Melee so much?! I doubt you have a working gamecube now...

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

jariw

NintyMan wrote:

Looks like Grab the Coins is back in this version. Temple is back, and that stage Kirby is sleeping on is either Pilot Wings (Wuhu Island) or a new stage.

Is Temple the one with Cartoon Link and Charizard?

It seems like Pilot Wings stage on the Wii U is almost identical to the Wii Fit U version (except for the wind mills, which are missing in the SSB U version), and on that island there's no such location. There are some fountains, but no pools.
IMO, the Kirby background doesn't need to be a stage. It could just be a background where Kirby takes it easy at the pool.

jariw

UGXwolf

TheGreatGamer wrote:

Why do so many like Melee so much?! I doubt you have a working gamecube now...

I have a working GameCube, but I lost the cords. XD I also have a working Wii, though. And honestly, I think the whole debate is kinda silly, at this point. (Didn't realize when I quoted that I was reviving it over two pages.) IMO, the gameplay of Melee is just as bad as Brawl, but in the opposite direction. Melee doesn't seem to have enough content to keep me going while I don't have friends coming over every other day to play it with me. Brawl felt like it had so much content that it got really tedious about halfway through. (Seriously, if I have to play Subspace Emissary to unlock Wolf one more time, I give up.) Melee felt too fast and too heavy, which I'm sure isn't as much of a problem when you've been playing it non-stop for thirteen years, but truth time: I'm limited on how fast my brain can process information, so thirteen years wouldn't be long enough for me to be anywhere near competitive level. Brawl was too slow, too floaty, and holy hell, tripping was a pain, but tripping only really affected you a bunch if you tried to play Brawl like Melee. Honestly, gameplay-wise, I would take Smash 64 over both of these, but Smash 64 is so weak on content that you can 100% complete the game in 4 hours and it's not even considered a speed run.

Meanwhile, here I am, playing my 3DS, and I notice something: Smash 3DS isn't so fast I literally can't process what's going on. It isn't so slow that I feel like I'm still playing Brawl. (Funny enough, I now find the lag on Brawl to be almost unbearable, now that I've been playing Smash 4 for a month.) The content is extensive and the trophy gallery is always a hoot, but the content does border on outright tedious unless you go for the really lofty challenges that are honestly supposed to take you months to clear, anyways. (Yeah, right. I haven't got that kind of time. Completion away!) The roster is certainly better than any roster thus far (though I'd still like my Wolf back >.>) and if it weren't for the controls on the 3DS making me miss smash attacks at times, I would argue that this is the perfect Smash game. Hell, it even looks pretty nice, despite the sub-Gamecube level of power in the 3DS (citation needed). I'm looking forward to Smash Wii U because I think that's going to be the perfect Smash game. It's looking extremely good, right now. It doesn't have any of the exclusiveness of Melee, it doesn't have the painful slowness of Brawl, it doesn't have the utter lack of content that was Smash 64. This installment of Smash Bros. (Both 3DS and Wii U combined) takes what's great about all three entries and mixes it with what wasn't possible, before. I can now take Smash with me wherever I go. I can now play Smash in HD. I can play Smash online without massive lag (I hope). I can use new, old, standard, non-standard controllers. I can play with my friends whether they be in the room or across the state. I don't see how anyone could argue that Melee, Brawl, or Smash 64 could beat Smash 4. (But they will. It's inevitable.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

jariw wrote:

NintyMan wrote:

Looks like Grab the Coins is back in this version. Temple is back, and that stage Kirby is sleeping on is either Pilot Wings (Wuhu Island) or a new stage.

Is Temple the one with Cartoon Link and Charizard?

It seems like Pilot Wings stage on the Wii U is almost identical to the Wii Fit U version (except for the wind mills, which are missing in the SSB U version), and on that island there's no such location. There are some fountains, but no pools.
IMO, the Kirby background doesn't need to be a stage. It could just be a background where Kirby takes it easy at the pool.

Or it could be based off of Wii Sports or Mario golf! Looks like a golf course. Still doesn't have to be a fighting stage, though.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

MegaStoneSmash91

Perhaps we should just leave the Melee debate alone and talk about the new Wii U info. I like the different pictures for the rule options. It's a nice touch. I'm also glad Temple is back. It's a fun stage to mess around on, especially in training mode. And Coin Battles are back? Just as I thought. If it wasn't already obvious the Wii U version would contain the missing modes/features, it certainly is now.

Epicness arrives on Nov. 21st.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91

WaveWarlock wrote:

One thing Brawl and SSB 3DS have in common is the terrible sinking air dodging. Aside from speed, this is where Melee easily has the upper hand. The multidirection floaty Anime-ninja air dodging in Melee was outstanding and upped the skill significantly. In brawl and Smash 4 you perform a sinking uncontrollable air dodge, it's painful.

You keep saying this, but I fail to see how dodging and becoming helpless is better. Sure, it looks cool and all, but I don't see it as an improvement. Being able to dodge and counter attack seems much more useful to me. You've mentioned this countless times, and it seems like it's your personal opinion more than anything. I've never heard anyone else complain about the air dodging.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Azooooz

A Super Smash Bros. for Wii U live stream from Nintendo to be broadcast on 23rd October, in which they will show 50 new things about Wii U version of the upcoming game.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Aviator

Proof?

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

19Robb92

Sweet!

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Azooooz

Untitled

Tune in for a live-stream event on October 23 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m. ET. We will look at 50 new things in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which launches on November 21. http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

jariw

NintyMan wrote:

Good! This seems like a Smash Direct, though for some reason it doesn't clearly call it that, just a "live stream."

@jariw: They did add in the windmill farm on Wuhu Island.
Untitled
Proof of development!

Thanks, now it looks exactly like the Wii Fit U island. Nice to see that the models continue to evolve even after the first sample screen shots are presented.

I think they usually call the ND for live streams. The link on Nintendo's web site for the streaming is in the Nintendo Direct hierarchy.

jariw

The_Ninja

HYPE! I think we may see DLC, or characters that you can get if you link 3DS and U together.

I can't wait to see if there are things on Wii U that should've been on 3DS.

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

Budda

That 50 new things sounds familiar.
Haven't they done this for Super Mario 3D World as well? It will be a countdown again I guess. Same release time, same method I guess.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

jariw

The_Ninja wrote:

HYPE! I think we may see DLC, or characters that you can get if you link 3DS and U together.

I can't wait to see if there are things on Wii U that should've been on 3DS.

If there are things in the 3DS version that should have been there, wouldn't the 3DS players miss them already? Don't 3DS smash gamers feel that they got a complete game with their purchase? After all, the 3DS version is a portable game in the budget price range.

However, being able to connect the 3DS to the Wii U and use the stats from the 3DS while playing on the Wii U would be a huge additional bonus for portable players.

jariw

Pootypie

YES!!! DIRECT!!!

Pootypie

Grumblevolcano

jariw wrote:

NintyMan wrote:

Good! This seems like a Smash Direct, though for some reason it doesn't clearly call it that, just a "live stream."

@jariw: They did add in the windmill farm on Wuhu Island.
Untitled
Proof of development!

Thanks, now it looks exactly like the Wii Fit U island. Nice to see that the models continue to evolve even after the first sample screen shots are presented.

I think they usually call the ND for live streams. The link on Nintendo's web site for the streaming is in the Nintendo Direct hierarchy.

I wonder if the fact that Wuhu Island is now in HD that it will be reused for Mario Kart 8 in the form of DLC (Mario Kart 7's Wuhu Island Loop is also identical but with worse graphics and Nintendo seems to still want to promote fitness.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic