Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 16,221 to 16,240 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

It's not really fair to use the clone corner in this argument, though, since they were originally planned to be alternate costumes and only got their own slot because of something that didn't sit right (like Dr. Mario using the FLUDD or Lucina's sword acting like a rapier). If we look at it this way, Mario has 6 reps (you can argue 8 or 10, but Sakurai treats DK, Yoshi, and Wario as separate franchises, so we may as well do so, too), Kid Icarus has 2 reps, and Fire Emblem has 3 reps, all very respectable numbers for the given franchises involved. Heck, even if you do count Yoshi and Wario, I'd argue Mario has earned that much rep, all things considered.

So what bothers us about this? DK only has two reps. DK deserves at least three. Seriously, you don't think DK deserves at least as much as Kirby and Fire Emblem? Now, I will give credit to the argument that FE has a massive cast to choose from and DK does not, but DK only NEEDS one more rep to feel at least somewhat right. I could argue two, but let's not get greedy. Dixie and the King are perfectly good characters, but heck, you could even add Funky to the clone corner, and I'd be (somewhat) satisfied! (Of course, Funky being a clone of DK would almost be as egregious as Ganondorf being a clone of C. Falcon... at least they're from the same series this time, though.)

Metroid, I would argue, is fine at 2, as it's a series that seems to only get weaker as time goes on. (Not as in the quality of the games, but as in the size of the fandom and the reception of the games. Super Metroid and Prime were considered a huge friggin' deal, but I heard next to nothing about Prime 3, Prime Hunters, and Other M until the Internet started complaining about the narrative.

I would also argue that cutting Lucas is a huge disservice to Mother fans in general, let alone Lucas mains and fans of Mother 3, specifically. If he'd never been added, that would be one thing, but it's kinda like putting the nail in the (already sealed) coffin of the franchise. Kinda like rubbing it in their face that a Mother 4 is about as likely as another F-Zero game (I'm looking at you, MK8. >w>)

As for Wolf... eh. I'm personally miffed because I main him and he was actually a very unique character, for being so clearly based off of Fox's moveset. As far as rep goes, I can agree that three is pushing it for Star Fox. I just personally would've cut Falco, instead. >.> Always felt he made Fox and Wolf kinda pointless, and of the two newer characters, he's far more cloney. But maybe that's just me.

Aside from that, this is a pretty great roster, though I do feel a lot of emphasis on the retro end of things. Probably because those are long-standing characters that people are so familiar with, they forget the name and remember the icon.

As a Mother 3 fan (yes I own the actual game in Japanese and it's a shame the game wasn't localized in other regions because its amazing, but that full rant comes later.

As my Drag Queen persona Perrita Sarcastica would say, Lucas and Wolf were too fabulous and awesome to be in this game. Thats why basic gurls like WFT and Dark Pit showed up instead.

Don't get me wrong, I like Duck Hunt and Palutena, but most other newcomers aren't as awesome as Lucas and Wolf.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Ryu_Niiyama

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@UGXwolf I agree that Mario Kart 8 has pretty much put a nail in the F-Zero coffin. First came the antigravity concept which outside of collisions making you faster is the same in both games, then of course the DLC having Blue Falcon as a playable vehicle and Mute City as a playable track. What next, Captain Falcon being a playable character when you use your Amiibo? (if that's the case then I think it's safe to say F-Zero is dead forever)

Honestly I don't think that is absolutely terrible. Fzero has a strong fanbase but it doesn't sale that well. This could be best of both worlds. Keeps the Falcon in the lime light but isn't as much of risk financially for nintendo.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

UGXwolf

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@UGXwolf I agree that Mario Kart 8 has pretty much put a nail in the F-Zero coffin. First came the antigravity concept which outside of collisions making you faster is the same in both games, then of course the DLC having Blue Falcon as a playable vehicle and Mute City as a playable track. What next, Captain Falcon being a playable character when you use your Amiibo? (if that's the case then I think it's safe to say F-Zero is dead forever)

Honestly I don't think that is absolutely terrible. Fzero has a strong fanbase but it doesn't sale that well. This could be best of both worlds. Keeps the Falcon in the lime light but isn't as much of risk financially for nintendo.

This part pretty much sums up every F-Zero argument ever, and the second half is probably the biggest reason the franchise isn't likely coming back. Though I don't see why the good captain should get all the glory, just because he was in Smash and the Blue Falcon was the first car in the original F-Zero. Samurai Goroh needs to be given at least a little more credit, as well as a number of other characters. It'd be a shame for the entire cast to disappear just because the Falcon was the only one people recognize, at this point.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

KO-Cub

That Sudden Death one. Wtf?
And that Zero Suit Samus glitch doesn't even look like a glitch. If it wasn't a glitch and actually possible infinite, I'm pretty sure Robin could just rolled into another direction unless I'm missing a point where you can only recover by standing after her Down Smash. Should still be able to roll after being slammed by the kick or the standard B. I dunno.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Pootypie

MetalK9 wrote:

That Sudden Death one. Wtf?
And that Zero Suit Samus glitch doesn't even look like a glitch. If it wasn't a glitch and actually possible infinite, I'm pretty sure Robin could just rolled into another direction unless I'm missing a point where you can only recover by standing after her Down Smash. Should still be able to roll after being slammed by the kick or the standard B. I dunno.

I just hope that doesn't happen to me lol, also I think the Luigi glitch is intentional not actual glitch because of the way luigi was going to move after he was stuck.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Grumblevolcano

UGXwolf wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

This part pretty much sums up every F-Zero argument ever, and the second half is probably the biggest reason the franchise isn't likely coming back. Though I don't see why the good captain should get all the glory, just because he was in Smash and the Blue Falcon was the first car in the original F-Zero. Samurai Goroh needs to be given at least a little more credit, as well as a number of other characters. It'd be a shame for the entire cast to disappear just because the Falcon was the only one people recognize, at this point.

Although you only played as Captain Falcon, the Story mode in GX definitely gave a number of other pilots the spotlight (Samurai Goroh, Michael Chain, Black Shadow, Deathborn and a few others). The problem of course is, that was over 10 years ago and was the last proper F-Zero game (Climax was Japan exclusive and even that's approaching its 10th anniversary in a month).

Assuming Nintendo are not planning F-Zero new games or remakes in the forseeable future, I really hope they at least release GX (and X) on the Wii U VC.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

TheGreatGamer wrote:

SockoMario wrote:

Nobody kill me for saying this, but... I want Baby Mario & Baby Luigi playable as an Ice Climbers clone. Also, they would be a 2nd rep for the Yoshi series.

I have my sword ready.

And you can have my bow

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Pootypie

DefHalan wrote:

TheGreatGamer wrote:

SockoMario wrote:

Nobody kill me for saying this, but... I want Baby Mario & Baby Luigi playable as an Ice Climbers clone. Also, they would be a 2nd rep for the Yoshi series.

I have my sword ready.

And you can have my bow

Do you perhaps have a ray gun with you too? Three does the charm.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

FriedSquid

Just in response about my earlier comments, I've said before that even though I personally dislike Donkey Kong games, I do think the franchise deserves a newcomer, preferably Dixie because I don't see K. Roll as relevant anymore.

A Zelda newcomer would also be cool, but the only newcomer I find somewhat fitting would be Impa. Personally, I think if they would just give Ganondorf a unique moveset already, that would make up for a lack of a newcomer.

My point was only that Sakurai probably gave some focus to other franchises in Brawl, and has focused on different ones now. But I suppose it doesn't quite count when he goes and cuts Brawl newcomers like Lucas or Wolf... Hey! Maybe Dark Pit will get cut in Smash 5!

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Pootypie

Squid wrote:

Just in response about my earlier comments, I've said before that even though I personally dislike Donkey Kong games, I do think the franchise deserves a newcomer, preferably Dixie because I don't see K. Roll as relevant anymore.

A Zelda newcomer would also be cool, but the only newcomer I find somewhat fitting would be Impa. Personally, I think if they would just give Ganondorf a unique moveset already, that would make up for a lack of a newcomer.

My point was only that Sakurai probably gave some focus to other franchises in Brawl, and has focused on different ones now. But I suppose it doesn't quite count when he goes and cuts Brawl newcomers like Lucas or Wolf... Hey! Maybe Dark Pit will get cut in Smash 5!

Considering Sakurai... naahhhh and we will find out in ONLY 8 years! YIPEEEE!!!!!!

Pootypie

The_Ninja

We get 3 new clones.

Meanwhile Lucas and Wolf get cut. Good job, Sakurai!

Edited on by The_Ninja

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

Pootypie

Morphbug wrote:

They need to keep the list of clones fresh

Dr Mario is not new though, he's a clone veteran!

He is at least a bit different than

Mario... unlike Dark Pit...

only the brawl is different... WHY DID THEY MAKE HIS BRAWL THE SAME AS MARIO'S?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Edited on by Pootypie

Pootypie

Pootypie

Yellowtails wrote:

Squid wrote:

Just in response about my earlier comments, I've said before that even though I personally dislike Donkey Kong games, I do think the franchise deserves a newcomer, preferably Dixie because I don't see K. Rool as relevant anymore.

I think King K. Rool is well overdue for being a playable character, regardless of his relevance, and they might make Dixie Kong a clone of Diddy, or an alternate skin. Dark Pit is definitely a pointless new character, (He should have been a alternate skin), someone else should be there instead.

The_Ninja wrote:

We get 3 new clones.

Meanwhile Lucas and Wolf get cut. Good job, Sakurai!

Sakurai do what he do.

He just doesn't do what he does, he decides everything!

Pootypie

The_Ninja

NintyMan wrote:

There's speculation that there might be at least DLC stages in the 3DS version.

Text from the game's ROM dump:
Set the stages that won’t appear, even when selection is set to random.
All Off
All On
Turn all stages off.
Make all stages available when using random stage selection.
See stages you have downloaded.
See all regular stages.
Select OFF to exclude this stage from random stage selection.
Select ON to include this stage in random stage selection.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-smash-bros-3ds-rom-dump-h...

Yesss!

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

Inkling

We're so close to 1,000 pages

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

TeeJay

NintyMan wrote:

There's speculation that there might be at least DLC stages in the 3DS version.

Text from the game's ROM dump:
Set the stages that won’t appear, even when selection is set to random.
All Off
All On
Turn all stages off.
Make all stages available when using random stage selection.
See stages you have downloaded.
See all regular stages.
Select OFF to exclude this stage from random stage selection.
Select ON to include this stage in random stage selection.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-smash-bros-3ds-rom-dump-h...

Cool, we can select which stages to appear in random again! It's frustrating that the Japanese version has been out for so long and I still can't find info on all the modes and settings. Are special Brawls back? I want to be able to do giant brawls with mushroom as the only item again

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

CapeSmash

Why do people hate clones? They're just bonus characters. There's nothing wrong with a little more extra.

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic