Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 161 to 180 of 27,917

CapedGodot

I hope they don't take out Ike and Sonic. Those are 2 of my 3 mains.

CapedGodot

Adam

Why take out any 1st party characters? The few characters that have been taken out so far have been clones except for Mewtwo, who, rumor has it, was intended to be in Brawl originally. Third parties depend on maintaining the rights, but given how enthusiastic Kojima was, I doubt Snake will be kicked out. Sega I would assume will consent, too, if for no other reason but to let Sonic know what it's like to be in a decent game series.

Also, Ninten? He would look almost exactly like Ness and pretty much has the same moves.

I really don't think there are many characters left to add that are both first party, well suited to a unique move set, and aren't too minor of a character in their series. Assuming the game doesn't go in some wild new direction and existing move sets are left mostly in tact, I can only think of a few suggestions:

1) Another Mother character, not because I'm a fan but because it's a popular series in Japan and is host to a lot of unique characters. Flint would be my top pick, but Masked Man or Jeff seem more likely. Duster has a lot of potential, too. Kumatora, Ana, and Paula would all be great choices to balance out the sausage fest if only Ness and Lucas hadn't already cannibalized their moves. I'd love to see Ness and Lucas completely revamped and let Kumatora or Ana/Paula take their old specials.

2) A Fire Emblem character who isn't the main character and preferably not a swordsman. Micaiah, Mist, or a Pegasus Knight (only using the mount for certain specials like Wario's bike) would all be good female choices. Sothe or a laguz would also be cool.

3) Wart. Smash brought back Pit; why not Wart?

4) Yarn Kirby. Not really a fan of having copies of the same character unless by a transformation move, but he'd be more unique than Toon Link.

5) Paper Mario.

6) The guy from Project HAMMER? Nah...

I was just looking through a list of games published by Nintendo, and they pretty well mined everything. I hope they just add a few, return a Melee character or two, and get one or two more third party characters; then focus more on balancing the roster than adding a bazillion obscure characters.

One way to add in more minor characters would be to revise the system so that instead of assist trophies you have assist characters you can choose before the game and can summon at certain times (i.e. when a SF-style "super meter" is filled). Something like that that can significantly change the way the game is played (though hopefully optional) would relieve some of the need to inflate the roster past the possibility of balancing.

Stage-wise, there's a lot they could do though. I'd really like to see far fewer stages with walk-offs, or at least restrict them to transforming stages. Speaking of which, a Doshin the Giant stage would be cool. He could be making the next form of the stage in the background, and when it's time to transform he just pushes his creation into the foreground, and maybe takes swipes at the characters too when he's angry.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Odnetnin

Adam wrote:

Why take out any 1st party characters? The few characters that have been taken out so far have been clones except for Mewtwo, who, rumor has it, was intended to be in Brawl originally. Third parties depend on maintaining the rights, but given how enthusiastic Kojima was, I doubt Snake will be kicked out. Sega I would assume will consent, too, if for no other reason but to let Sonic know what it's like to be in a decent game series.

Also, Ninten? He would look almost exactly like Ness and pretty much has the same moves.

I really don't think there are many characters left to add that are both first party, well suited to a unique move set, and aren't too minor of a character in their series. Assuming the game doesn't go in some wild new direction and existing move sets are left mostly in tact, I can only think of a few suggestions:

1) Another Mother character, not because I'm a fan but because it's a popular series in Japan and is host to a lot of unique characters. Flint would be my top pick, but Masked Man or Jeff seem more likely. Duster has a lot of potential, too. Kumatora, Ana, and Paula would all be great choices to balance out the sausage fest if only Ness and Lucas hadn't already cannibalized their moves. I'd love to see Ness and Lucas completely revamped and let Kumatora or Ana/Paula take their old specials.

2) A Fire Emblem character who isn't the main character and preferably not a swordsman. Micaiah, Mist, or a Pegasus Knight (only using the mount for certain specials like Wario's bike) would all be good female choices. Sothe or a laguz would also be cool.

3) Wart. Smash brought back Pit; why not Wart?

4) Yarn Kirby. Not really a fan of having copies of the same character unless by a transformation move, but he'd be more unique than Toon Link.

5) Paper Mario.

6) The guy from Project HAMMER? Nah...

I was just looking through a list of games published by Nintendo, and they pretty well mined everything. I hope they just add a few, return a Melee character or two, and get one or two more third party characters; then focus more on balancing the roster than adding a bazillion obscure characters.

One way to add in more minor characters would be to revise the system so that instead of assist trophies you have assist characters you can choose before the game and can summon at certain times (i.e. when a SF-style "super meter" is filled). Something like that that can significantly change the way the game is played (though hopefully optional) would relieve some of the need to inflate the roster past the possibility of balancing.

Stage-wise, there's a lot they could do though. I'd really like to see far fewer stages with walk-offs, or at least restrict them to transforming stages. Speaking of which, a Doshin the Giant stage would be cool. He could be making the next form of the stage in the background, and when it's time to transform he just pushes his creation into the foreground, and maybe takes swipes at the characters too when he's angry.

I'm quoting your entire post to say this: you do know Sonic Colors is a good game, right? He's had at least one good title in recent years.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Adam

I know nothing of the sort. I haven't played it, but it looks like a Sonic game, which is all the information I require to make mocking generalizations on the internet.

Come on, friends,

thesmorganator

I have an Idea. They should add Tingle!!!!

currently playing: Nintendogs + catsPilotwings resortPikmin 2

games I have 100% completed

Kirby mouse attack

Link Mah Boi~

Squadalah~~ We're off!

My youtube channel

[CENTER][url=http://www.no...

TheKingOfTown

thesmorganator wrote:

Nah, you're avatar would fit better.
[youtube:adKoSsrGEj8]

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Hejiru

I bet Ike will be replaced with Krom/Chrome. (The new lord from Fire Emblem 3DS)

thesmorganator wrote:

That's actually a possibility. His infamy is only in English-speaking countries. He is very popular in Japan, and has his own games. That makes him a likely contender.

Edited on by Hejiru

Hejiru

komicturtle

lol How about that armadillo from Rolling Western?

(The avi above me)

komicturtle

LzWinky

More birdfreaks!!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Adam

I sure hope Ike isn't replaced with someone with such a stupid name. Hopefully that name will be changed if it's translated. I hadn't heard the new lord was named.

Come on, friends,

LordJumpMad

FOX ONLY

That how pros play

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

kodycjones

LordJumpMad wrote:

FOX ONLY

That how pros play

Agreed.

Just give me Mallow from Super Mario RPG.

kodycjones

ItsFuzzyPickles

I really doubt Ike is going anywhere. There is a lot more going for his return then Roy did in Melee. I think we have a good shot at three slots for Fire Emblem.

The only one I'm truly worried (that I like, never was a fan of Toon Link) about getting cut is Lucario. Hopefully, they don't just swap Lucario with Zoroark (I have never really seen what's the big deal with Zoroark).

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

komicturtle

If you want Mallow, Kirby can have an alternate costume based on it. I mean, they've done it with texture hacks on Brawl.

But yeah, always liked Mallow over Geno.

Does SE have rights to Mallow or just Geno? I think Geno's backstory is that he's from another world and well, he's a toy and.. I don't know. I have to look it up and read carefully. Don't want to spoil anything else for those who never played SMRPG.

komicturtle

jester94

KomicZ wrote:

If you want Mallow, Kirby can have an alternate costume based on it. I mean, they've done it with texture hacks on Brawl.

But yeah, always liked Mallow over Geno.

Does SE have rights to Mallow or just Geno? I think Geno's backstory is that he's from another world and well, he's a toy and.. I don't know. I have to look it up and read carefully. Don't want to spoil anything else for those who never played SMRPG.

square enix own's mallow two.
also texture hacks are still hacks made by fans, nintendo wont make toon link geno, or capt falcon, capt rainbow, or chrazard, ridley.

(3DS FC) 4468-1141-2979
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkJesterOfArkham94?feature=mhee
i post club nintendo code's.
i only troll at Komic store's & at Komic Kon.

ItsFuzzyPickles

@KomicZ: Unfortunately, Square Enix owns the right of all characters that originated in Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, so I have serious doubts that anyone from there will get a playable treatment, especially since the Geno support has gone down a lot.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

Hejiru

But Geno made a cameo in Superstar Saga...

Hejiru

Tasuki

Super Smash Bros. Cafe Thread???

What did they open up a rival for Starbucks or something?? Seriously this isnt the new title for the next Smash Bros game is it?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Adam

No idea what you mean by soulless. That doesn't really make sense. If you play a fighting game regularly against someone of a similar skill level and both of you are always trying new things and improving, it's more fun than anything else in my book. Or it would be, if I had a book.

Come on, friends,

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic