Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 15,921 to 15,940 of 27,917

Caryslan

CaviarMeths wrote:

Here's some interesting polls taken from reddit: http://imgur.com/a/MTLCI

Some takeaways from that:

1) Dark Pitt is an overwhelmingly unpopular newcomer.
2) Dr. Mario's return is very polarizing, with 44% of the total votes being him being either the best or worst veteran.
3) More people would rather have Mewtwo return than Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Fox.
4) Poll on misrepresented series indicates that Ridley, Isaac, Dixie, King K. Rool are the most desired newcomers.
5) People really hate Diddy Kong.
6) People feel that Zelda, one of Nintendo's most iconic IPs, is properly represented with no newcomers since Melee and 40% of the characters being clones.
7) "Sexy Suit Samus" is the preferred nomenclature.

On the Dr. Mario thing, I think he's unpopular in circles who think he's a lazy clone who's roster spot could have gone to Mewtwo if they intended to being back a Melee character.

On the other hand, he is likely popular with Melee Mario players and other who dislike how Brawl and SSB4 Mario plays, since Doc for all intents and purposes brings Mario's melee moveset back. He has the tornado, and I think he has some other aspects of the Melee Mario, that was lost when Mario's moveset was tweaked in Brawl.

So, he might be viewed by many as an uninspired clone who is filler in the roster, but he's also popular with people who wanted the Melee Mario back, and basically got their wish when Doc returned.

Caryslan

Caryslan

SockoMario wrote:

Untitled
Pic of the day. Well, I'd better post some pictures from the Wii U version once in a while, right? We've brought back the Castle Siege stage from Fire Emblem!
Untitled
Most of the games in the Fire Emblem series have a different unique setting and have fields without much height, so it was hard to narrow down what venues to focus on. Castle Siege and Colosseum are two stages that aren't exclusive to specific games in the franchise.

YES!!!!

This was my favorite stage in Brawl besides Delfino Plaza.

I am so happy they brought this stage back!

Caryslan

UGXwolf

@Caryslan Fire Emblem really isn't a small series. It's been going strong since the NES and is particularly popular in Japan. Now that it's picking up popularity here, it only makes sense they get at least three reps. I still refuse to count Lucina, as she was a Marth skin until Sakurai decided balancing her hitbox couldn't possible hurt.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Caryslan

UGXwolf wrote:

@Caryslan Fire Emblem really isn't a small series. It's been going strong since the NES and is particularly popular in Japan. Now that it's picking up popularity here, it only makes sense they get at least three reps. I still refuse to count Lucina, as she was a Marth skin until Sakurai decided balancing her hitbox couldn't possible hurt.

I was talking about sales, Fire Emblem has sold less then other Nintendo franchises like Kirby, Star Fox, and Metroid.

Although, like you said, it has picked up in popularity and unless I'm wrong, recent games have sold better in NA then in Japan. It's a very popular series, with a very loyal fanbase that loves the games.

Some fans bashed Robin being in Smash, claiming Fire Emblem was getting too many reps despite being a "Niche" series.

But here's the thing, the series has lasted 13 games, and is in a genre that has a smaller fanbase then other genres. Outside of Final Fantasy Tactics(which has not gotten a new game in years), I think Fire Emblem is the most popular SRPG on the market. Hell, I would say Fire Emblem and their reps in Smash have been a major reason why SRPGs have started to gain some popularity.

Fire Emblem is building into one of Nintendo's more reliable franchises. Its characters are popular in Smash, and Awakining was a game that sold the 3DS last year. It deserves its reps.

On the Lucina thing, I don't get why such a big deal was made about her getting her own character slot. From what I've read, outside of her sword having power all over, she's pretty much the same as Marth in terms of stats.

Does anyone know, is she faster, stronger? Is she better then Marth at anything?

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

MegaStoneSmash91

Castle Siege is looking great in HD. Is it just me, or do these pics look better when compared to previous Wii U pics? I think it might just be all the 3DS coverage lately. Seeing a Wii U screenshot is like a completely different experience. I think that's one of the reasons why releasing the 3DS version first was good. You can play it on 3DS for a while, then by the end of the year.....BOOM! HD! Obviously graphics aren't everything, but it will feel like a nice little upgrade.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

UGXwolf

@Caryslan You actually have it backwards. Fire Emblem on the GBA (2003) sold less in Japan than it did in the US. Possibly because this was essentially a port of the original from the NES that was Japan-exclusive. Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS (2013), however sold just slightly more in Japan than it did in the US, but the numbers are close enough that pretending like this isn't still a big deal would be nitpicking.

(Note: Source - VGChartz; information may be off, as VGChartz is pretty bad when it comes to digital sales of a game. Take this info with a bit of skepticism.)

Also, I've HEARD that Lucina is a bit faster and a bit lighter than Marth. Can't confirm this until the 3rd, of course!

Edited on by UGXwolf

CaviarMeths

Crimzonlogic wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

At least I love ya, Pittooey. That's one, better than none.
Edit: Wait, he got 150 votes in that! Make that 151.

What I find interesting is that the chief reason for Dark Pitt's unpopularity - that he's a clone - could be applied to Lucina as well, but her overall reception has been much warmer. Probably a combination of:

• People feeling that Kid Icarus is overrepresented with 2 newcomers and 3 characters, even though he only has one "relevant" game.
  • Lucina being a more popular character from her original game.
  • Fire Emblem being a more popular series than Kid Icarus.
  • Lucina helps the female smasher representation.

And I agree, to be fair. Marth was one of my favorite characters in Melee, but I'm not particularly good at Smash. Lucina looks easier to use, so I can see myself using her quite a lot. And I'm a huge Awakening fan.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CapeSmash

CaviarMeths wrote:

Here's some interesting polls taken from reddit: http://imgur.com/a/MTLCI

Some takeaways from that:

2) Dr. Mario's return is very polarizing, with 44% of the total votes being him being either the best or worst veteran.
3) More people would rather have Mewtwo return than Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Fox.
4) Poll on misrepresented series indicates that Ridley, Isaac, Dixie, King K. Rool are the most desired newcomers.
5) People really hate Diddy Kong.
6) People feel that Zelda, one of Nintendo's most iconic IPs, is properly represented with no newcomers since Melee and 40% of the characters being clones.
7) "Sexy Suit Samus" is the preferred nomenclature.

I'm glad Doc made it at number 6th on the best veteran poll. BUT PEOPLE VOTED FOR HIM AS THE WORST VETERAN?!?!?? WHAT?!???? I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

C-Olimar

I love the fact people are so enraged over Dark Pit. It makes me that much happier he made it
People don't seem to realise that Kid Icarus is being advertised by having 3 reps, because Sakurai is already planning Kid Icarus: Downfall for Wii U.
He is.
Honest.

C-Olimar

Crimzonlogic

C-Olimar wrote:

I love the fact people are so enraged over Dark Pit. It makes me that much happier he made it
People don't seem to realise that Kid Icarus is being advertised by having 3 reps, because Sakurai is already planning Kid Icarus: Downfall for Wii U.
He is.
Honest.

Was this announced or is this speculation? Because if there is news of a new Kid Icarus, then please, someone tell me. (But I wouldn't want Sakurai to jump right into another game like that. He needs a break.)

Currently playing: Smash Bros. 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles, Alpha Sapphire.
Attempting to guide nephew through Skyward Sword. He keeps getting stuck.

Select one:
-Give me snacks.
-High-five me.
-Check out my Deviantart for dumb art: http://crimzonlogic.deviantart.c...

C-Olimar

Crimzonlogic wrote:

C-Olimar wrote:

He is.
Honest.

Was this announced or is this speculation? Because if there is news of a new Kid Icarus, then please, someone tell me. (But I wouldn't want Sakurai to jump right into another game like that. He needs a break.)

The only news we've had is that Sakurai doesn't want to do a sequel
Remember though, Iwata has a habit of announcing Sakurai's games before Sakurai even knows he's making them (as he did with Brawl and Sm4sh).
I think Uprising HD would be a good idea. The game would look great in HD and it would have "better" controls.

C-Olimar

KO-Cub

CaviarMeths wrote:

Crimzonlogic wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

At least I love ya, Pittooey. That's one, better than none.
Edit: Wait, he got 150 votes in that! Make that 151.

What I find interesting is that the chief reason for Dark Pitt's unpopularity - that he's a clone - could be applied to Lucina as well, but her overall reception has been much warmer. Probably a combination of:

• People feeling that Kid Icarus is overrepresented with 2 newcomers and 3 characters, even though he only has one "relevant" game.
  • Lucina being a more popular character from her original game.
  • Fire Emblem being a more popular series than Kid Icarus.
  • Lucina helps the female smasher representation.

And I agree, to be fair. Marth was one of my favorite characters in Melee, but I'm not particularly good at Smash. Lucina looks easier to use, so I can see myself using her quite a lot. And I'm a huge Awakening fan.

Female smasher representation. She's more of a man than Marth! And maybe people are more stoked to play Lucina because she down't have Sword-Tip bonus or she's just a good awesome character that the developers wanted to have and be loved by many. Lucina, been in one game too, yet Fire Emblem has been around for ages. KI isn't as big of a franchise only because it doesn't have alot of games and characters(Even though KIU had alot more to do and content given in). And since Sakurai made KIU, its kind of a balance between the two. (More KI is needed)
I'm just confused why "DARK" Pit = Yes and "DARK" Samus = No. Whatever.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

SnowyGlaceon

The demo is out right now!

ALL HAIL THE GLACEONS!
Nets truly are wondrous things...

3DS Friend Code: 0447-6300-7598

UGXwolf

@MetalK9 Truth be told, probably the same reason (well kinda) that Wolf got cut, but Falco's still here. Dark Pit (Falco) being more cloney than Dark Samus (Wolf) would mean she'd need her own moveset or at least need to be more different from Samus than Dark Pit is from Pit. They'd have time to do all that for Pit because it wouldn't take so long, but Wolf and Dark Samus would take longer due to needing entirely different animations and rules.

Jazzer94

It would be nice if old stages had more work done to them like in Mario Kart.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

NintendoFan64

Jazzer94 wrote:

I would've loved that. The Old stages in Mario Kart were remade very nicely, so seeing the old stages remade with graphical upgrades would be a treat.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Justlink

@Jazzer94 I need to you something... Your Avatar animation... IS AWESOME. Definitely my favorite smash trailer

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Azooooz

Untitled

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Justlink

Decided I'll probably favor Lucina due to her speed and she has a sword

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Grumblevolcano

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

I would've loved that. The Old stages in Mario Kart were remade very nicely, so seeing the old stages remade with graphical upgrades would be a treat.

Well mostly, old Smash stages being remade like Music Park/Melody Motorway wouldn't be too great. Wario Stadium is easily the most impressive remake though I prefer Grumble Volcano, Sherbet Land and Dry Dry Desert.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic