Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 15,461 to 15,480 of 27,917

Eel

I just realized something funny....

Didn't they basically give Kirby an Ice Climbers copy ability as a custom move?

I mean, it's not exactly the same as before, but it's still pretty similar and taken from them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DBPirate

NintyMan wrote:

The stained glass roster fanart is almost finishedt! It's only missing a few Koopalings and some Villagers.
Untitled

Woah, that looks AMAZING! Can't wait to see it finished! Oh, and I see you changed your username.

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

FriedSquid

@Morpheel hah, you're right, I never noticed that.

Speaking of custom moves I'm really looking forward to seeing Mega Man' custom moves, since there's so many other Robot Master weapons he could use, (I haven't watched any streams so I don't what they are yet) hopefully Sakurai has taken advantage of this. Mega Man is fun to play as but it feels like his moveset could use some work.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Crimzonlogic

I got my hands on a 3DS demo cooooode! Now I'll get a head start on learning the controls so I won't suck as bad later on. I'll still probably suck.
Edit: Wow, wow, wow! This game looks better than I thought it would! Controls don't feel too bad, but of course I'm rustier than a wet nail on Mars...lol

I'm seeing tons of hate for Dark Pit all around the internet, and not one comment anywhere being glad to have him...Though, I'm not exactly looking for these comments. They just seem to find me. It's kinda bumming me out. I can't be the ONLY one who loves ol' Pittooey, right? I'm not a character hipster, right?
Bleh, I'm gonna paint some awesome fanart of him anyway. He needs some love.

NintyMan wrote:

The stained glass roster fanart is almost finishedt! It's only missing a few Koopalings and some Villagers.[/img]

That is AWESOME! I'm watching on DA whether you like it or not.

Blast wrote:

I just experienced Pikachu's Final Smash in the special demo... SUCH OVERKILL

A lot of them look like overkill. I love it.

Edited on by Crimzonlogic

Currently playing: Smash Bros. 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles, Alpha Sapphire.
Attempting to guide nephew through Skyward Sword. He keeps getting stuck.

Select one:
-Give me snacks.
-High-five me.
-Check out my Deviantart for dumb art: http://crimzonlogic.deviantart.c...

UGXwolf

@GuitarDude7 I think what you're overlooking, here (and coincidentally, what @Blast needs to do a better job of making clear) is that we pretty much agree on "the new characters are mostly pretty cool." The point he's making is that what was sacrificed (for various reasons, not necessarily for the new characters) wasn't really a price that all of us were willing to pay.

I, for one, consider it to be a stinging slap in the face that Wolf is a Fox recolor. He didn't even get his own alt skin. No separate name or voice acting. They demoted one of the least cloney clones in the entire series to a recolor, and as a Wolf main, yeah, that definitely pisses me off.

This does NOT, however, mean that I don't really love this game, nor does it mean that I don't salivate over the approaching launch and the chance to play as characters like Little Mac and Shulk and even Pac-man (who I still dislike being in the game because I want mah Lloyd, but I accept that he's more popular and more people prefer it this way; besides, his moveset looks like it'll actually suit me fairly well).

All I'm saying, and what I assume Blast is trying to get across is that some of the decisions regarding this roster don't make a whole lot of sense from the outside looking in. Yeah, I get that clones are easier to make. I'm well aware that Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario didn't force other characters to leave the series. I've even defended Lucina countless times using this exact same logic. That said, given the choice, I'd gladly trade all three for Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas back, or heck! Cut them and replace them with new unique characters like Krystal, K. Rool, and Lloyd (yeah, yeah, this is my wish list. It's not supposed to be realistic. )

But all of this aside, I think what stings the most for me, even more than Wolf being a recolor is that Ganondorf is still a clone. He never should've been a clone in the first place. It didn't make sense back in Melee and it doesn't make any sense, now. I'm glad that his custom moves aren't as cloney, but I'd rather his default be unique and his customs include Captain Falcondorf for anyone that actually prefers it that way. Toon Link, too (though I'm waiting to see his customs). The problem with him back in Brawl was that he essentially did everything better than Link did, but Link has been buffed, so why do we still need Toon Link? I totally understand why some people think Zelda got shafted, despite having at least four stages between the two versions and five character slots. These two could be completely unique or even a Wolf- or Luigi-style clone.

To put it another way, Wolf and Luigi add to the possibilities of Fox's and Mario's movesets respectively and become their own unique fighters because of it. Ganondorf and Toon Link compete with Captain Falcon and Link respectively, having movesets similar enough to serve a fairly similar purpose. In this case, one of the two will inevitably wind up low tier and unused competitively because anyone that mains those characters knows that the other one suits them even better. That's a bit too absolute for this topic, but you should get my point. Fox players and Wolf players are two completely different groups. Ganondorf players and Captain Falcon players overlap a little too much, leaving Ganondorf generally disliked as a character.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

@GuitarDude7 I think what you're overlooking, here (and coincidentally, what @Blast needs to do a better job of making clear) is that we pretty much agree on "the new characters are mostly pretty cool." The point he's making is that what was sacrificed (for various reasons, not necessarily for the new characters) wasn't really a price that all of us were willing to pay.

I, for one, consider it to be a stinging slap in the face that Wolf is a Fox recolor. He didn't even get his own alt skin. No separate name or voice acting. They demoted one of the least cloney clones in the entire series to a recolor, and as a Wolf main, yeah, that definitely pisses me off.

This does NOT, however, mean that I don't really love this game, nor does it mean that I don't salivate over the approaching launch and the chance to play as characters like Little Mac and Shulk and even Pac-man (who I still dislike being in the game because I want mah Lloyd, but I accept that he's more popular and more people prefer it this way; besides, his moveset looks like it'll actually suit me fairly well).

All I'm saying, and what I assume Blast is trying to get across is that some of the decisions regarding this roster don't make a whole lot of sense from the outside looking in. Yeah, I get that clones are easier to make. I'm well aware that Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario didn't force other characters to leave the series. I've even defended Lucina countless times using this exact same logic. That said, given the choice, I'd gladly trade all three for Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas back, or heck! Cut them and replace them with new unique characters like Krystal, K. Rool, and Lloyd (yeah, yeah, this is my wish list. It's not supposed to be realistic. )

But all of this aside, I think what stings the most for me, even more than Wolf being a recolor is that Ganondorf is still a clone. He never should've been a clone in the first place. It didn't make sense back in Melee and it doesn't make any sense, now. I'm glad that his custom moves aren't as cloney, but I'd rather his default be unique and his customs include Captain Falcondorf for anyone that actually prefers it that way. Toon Link, too (though I'm waiting to see his customs). The problem with him back in Brawl was that he essentially did everything better than Link did, but Link has been buffed, so why do we still need Toon Link? I totally understand why some people think Zelda got shafted, despite having at least four stages between the two versions and five character slots. These two could be completely unique or even a Wolf- or Luigi-style clone.

To put it another way, Wolf and Luigi add to the possibilities of Fox's and Mario's movesets respectively and become their own unique fighters because of it. Ganondorf and Toon Link compete with Captain Falcon and Link respectively, having movesets similar enough to serve a fairly similar purpose. In this case, one of the two will inevitably wind up low tier and unused competitively because anyone that mains those characters knows that the other one suits them even better. That's a bit too absolute for this topic, but you should get my point. Fox players and Wolf players are two completely different groups. Ganondorf players and Captain Falcon players overlap a little too much, leaving Ganondorf generally disliked as a character.

Thanks for explaining it wayyy better than me I stopped talking about it because I realized that I wasn't making myself clear and that it might be best to agree to disagree. Lol

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CapeSmash

NL smash community is A LOT better than SmashBoards' smash community. They're so negative. And what I mean about that is that there's like 10 threads called "WORST PART OF SMASH 4!!!!11" and crap like that. Not to mention that people there said Sakurai is a "piece of **** human being" just because Mewtwo isn't in. They're also the same people that say Smash 3DS is the definitive version because it was considered before the Wii U version, and that Smash 3DS is AUTOMATICALLY better than the Wii U version just because it has Smash Run. Using that logic, Brawl is better than Smash 3DS because there's an adventure mode.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Kewlan

A comment about the DLC thing:

I think it's more likely that extra characters will be unlocked through buying both versions, since buying two games gives them more money than one game and one DLC.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

Retro_on_theGo

SockoMario wrote:

NL smash community is A LOT better than SmashBoards' smash community. They're so negative. And what I mean about that is that there's like 10 threads called "WORST PART OF SMASH 4!!!!11" and crap like that. Not to mention that people there said Sakurai is a "piece of **** human being" just because Mewtwo isn't in. They're also the same people that say Smash 3DS is the definitive version because it was considered before the Wii U version, and that Smash 3DS is AUTOMATICALLY better than the Wii U version just because it has Smash Run. Using that logic, Brawl is better than Smash 3DS because there's an adventure mode.

Yeah I really hate SmashBoards.

MegaStoneSmash91

In regards to the roster, generally I like it. Plenty of great newcomers, a lot of variety, and the size is the biggest yet. I'm not going to sit here and pretend it's perfect, though. Nothing is. However, there's no sense in complaining about something Sakurai worked this hard to bring to us. I'll just kick back and enjoy the ride, potholes and all.

@UGXwolf I HAVE always thought of Toon Link as a Luigi-style clone. He has different physical abilities, a few different attacks, and a slighty different feel/style than Link. All things Luigi has. As for why he's here, just look at how many Zelda games use the Toon artstyle compared to anything else. He's as much a part of the Zelda series as Zelda herself. He represents an entirely different style of Link, and I'm glad. I love having two different Links to play as. Besides, it could be worse. We could have Young Link back instead with his complete lack of unique attacks and similar appearance to Link. I'd love to have all three playable at once, but that's just the Zelda fan in me talking.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Grumblevolcano

@UGXwolf I agree but mainly because both Link and Toon Link have the same Final Smash. Luigi was a major Mario clone in 64 and Melee but after that he's becoming less of one. The concept of having Luigi's Final Smash as the Poltergust was a perfect idea and is much better than Negative Zone (A semi-clone of Shadow's Chaos Control).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CapeSmash

HOLY SH@#$T GUYS!

SOME OF NESS' SPECIAL ATTACKS ARE:

B - PK FREEZE
SIDE B - SAME AS LUCAS'
DOWN B - HE HOLDS THE ENGERY BALL IN FRONT OF HIM, JUST LIKE LUCAS!!
UP B - PK THUNDER GOES THROUGH OPPONENTS... JUST LIKE LUCAS'!!

Wow... just wow. I don't know about you guys, but that info REALLY shocked me. Lucas mains are going to love this!

P.S. sorry for caps.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

2Sang

SockoMario wrote:

HOLY SH@#$T GUYS!

B - PK FREEZE
SIDE B - SAME AS LUCAS'

Wow... just wow. I don't know about you guys, but that info REALLY shocked me. Lucas mains are going to love this!

P.S. sorry for caps.

Better than nothing, guess I will be changing a few of his moves to match Lucas's

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

Inkling

I can't stop laughing

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

Inkling

Untitled

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

UGXwolf

SockoMario wrote:

HOLY SH@#$T GUYS!

B - PK FREEZE
SIDE B - SAME AS LUCAS'

P.S. sorry for caps.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, I expected this. I'm willing to bet Fox will have clones of Wolf's moves, too. The problem with that is (at least in Wolf's case, I can't speak for Lucas mains) that Wolf's melees aren't even similar to Fox and make up a massive part of his moveset, since his specials are too situational to successfully make up his play style. Every Wolf main loves that sweet spot on the Side Special, but it's too hard to set up and doesn't come up often enough outside of recovery. I don't know how much Lucas's melees mean to him, but unless I can suddenly switch Fox to use Wolf's melees, customize him with Wolf's specials, change his stats to better reflect Wolf's strength, (lack of) speed, and launching power, and looks, it's still a weak replacement. I can do three of these (most likely) but without those melees, it's no good. I can't play Fox as he is. And honestly, if they went to those lengths, they may as well just make Wolf his own character.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

TeeJay

SockoMario wrote:

HOLY SH@#$T GUYS!

B - PK FREEZE
SIDE B - SAME AS LUCAS'

P.S. sorry for caps.

OH MY GOD YES YES YESSSSS AS A LUCAS MAIN THIS EXCITES MEEEEEEE

If only he had Lucas' s awesome Up A though! Darn! But I may just main Ness now! Omg can't wait for this game!

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic