Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 15,441 to 15,460 of 27,917

IceClimbers

DLC is possible, but there's no guarantee that Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, etc would be part of it. In fact, the DLC may not even be fighters at all. Could just be additional ATs, Pokemon, alt costumes, Mii clothing, and stages.

If they did fighter DLC, it could end up being Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Roy for all we know. More clones

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NintendoFan64

Blast wrote:

... Another MARIO character joins... actually 2 because of ROSALINA AND BOWSER JR and then THE ICE CLIMBERS GO AWAY? No, no, no.... something is wrong. I like the roster. I really do. But when one franchise is getting more love than another then something is wrong!!!! I don't blame the people who are hoping for character DLC when guys like freaking Bowser Jr. gets in while other FAR MORE DESERVING characters (insert anybody from the classic Donkey Kong games) gets ignored and discarded!

Once again... I like the roster but some of these decisions just don't make any sense. Hence... I don't laugh at people who are hoping for character DLC in some form.

I'm gonna agree with you on that. I like Bowser Jr., though (it's 'cus of the clown car), but yeah, it has some problems. First of all, there's Dark Pit. Why the hell is he in!? From what I've heard, he is virtually identical to Pit, so he was most likely just inserted for the sake of being in. Second, Sakurai ignored series that honestly deserve a newcomer. Games like Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, and Mother. Finally, and arguably what hurt the most, the characters we've lost. Mewtwo isn't returning, and we've lost Lucas, Wolf, Snake(though I could already tell he'd be cut from the get-go), and...sniff...the Ice Climbers (Why, God?). Like you, I love the roster, but it seriously could've used some more work...okay, I know I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVE the fact that Dr. Mario is back. There, I've said it.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Blast

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Blast wrote:

... Another MARIO character joins... actually 2 because of ROSALINA AND BOWSER JR and then THE ICE CLIMBERS GO AWAY? No, no, no.... something is wrong. I like the roster. I really do. But when one franchise is getting more love than another then something is wrong!!!! I don't blame the people who are hoping for character DLC when guys like freaking Bowser Jr. gets in while other FAR MORE DESERVING characters (insert anybody from the classic Donkey Kong games) gets ignored and discarded!

Once again... I like the roster but some of these decisions just don't make any sense. Hence... I don't laugh at people who are hoping for character DLC in some form.

I'm gonna agree with you on that. I like Bowser Jr., though (it's 'cus of the clown car), but yeah, it has some problems. First of all, there's Dark Pit. Why the hell is he in!? From what I've heard, he is virtually identical to Pit, so he was most likely just inserted for the sake of being in. Second, Sakurai ignored series that honestly deserve a newcomer. Games like Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, and Mother. Finally, and arguably what hurt the most, the characters we've lost. Mewtwo isn't returning, and we've lost Lucas, Wolf, Snake(though I could already tell he'd be cut from the get-go), and...sniff...the Ice Climbers (Why, God?). Like you, I love the roster, but it seriously could've used some more work...okay, I know I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVE the fact that Dr. Mario is back. There, I've said it.

And about Dark Pit.... I said this over and over.......... I like the character but I just know... IF DARK PIT DIDN'T COME FROM SAKURAI'S GAME (Kid Icarus: Uprising) THEN HE WOULDN'T BE A PLAYABLE FIGHTER there I SAID IT. Palutena joining the roster? Okay, cool... DARK PIT joining the roster? No, no.... Favoritism from Sakurai...

And I totally forgot about Dr. Mario.... so that's ANOTHER playable fighter that could've been a alternate costume change.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Blast @NintendoFan64 Here's something I took from Tumblr via user razorsaw. Please read it.

"Dark Pit didn’t steal a slot from anyone. That’s not how clone characters work.

We know from Sakurai’s own words after Melee came out that “clones” are added late in development because they take less work and are a way to increase the roster when there’s not enough time to add a completely new character.

So Dark Pit, and by extension Lucina and Dr. Mario, would not magically free up room for a character you wanted if they were gone. It would simply mean there was one less character to play as.

Furthermore, yes, his moveset is largely based on Pit’s, but it is not an exact duplicate. Ever since Falco, this has always been how clone characters work. You get what are superficially the same moves and the finer mechanics translate to make them operate differently on a technical level. Dark Pit is no different. More extreme variations like Wolf have always been the exception, never the rule.

"But," you say, "why couldn’t they have made him an alternate skin like Alph and the Koopalings?" Sure, they could have. But that takes us right back to "you’d just have one less playable character."

As for why Dark Pit got in over other potential clone characters and Sakurai’s supposed bias… whatever. The guy works so hard on these games and puts so god damned much into them. I think the man is allowed to indulge a bit in appreciation for the series he’s worked on."

So just enjoy the game. Kay? Kay.

Who the heck is this "razorsaw" guy? Is he a developer on the game? Why should I believe a word he says? And I SAID BEFORE... that I like the roster. I think its cool and exciting but some of the decisions just don't make any sense to me. There are franchises being neglected and Smash is supposed to be showcasing popular and less popular yet iconic Nintendo characters! Do you agree with that or not?

Master of the Hype Train

NintendoFan64

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Blast @NintendoFan64 Here's something I took from Tumblr via user razorsaw. Please read it.

"Dark Pit didn’t steal a slot from anyone. That’s not how clone characters work.

We know from Sakurai’s own words after Melee came out that “clones” are added late in development because they take less work and are a way to increase the roster when there’s not enough time to add a completely new character.

So Dark Pit, and by extension Lucina and Dr. Mario, would not magically free up room for a character you wanted if they were gone. It would simply mean there was one less character to play as.

Furthermore, yes, his moveset is largely based on Pit’s, but it is not an exact duplicate. Ever since Falco, this has always been how clone characters work. You get what are superficially the same moves and the finer mechanics translate to make them operate differently on a technical level. Dark Pit is no different. More extreme variations like Wolf have always been the exception, never the rule.

"But," you say, "why couldn’t they have made him an alternate skin like Alph and the Koopalings?" Sure, they could have. But that takes us right back to "you’d just have one less playable character."

As for why Dark Pit got in over other potential clone characters and Sakurai’s supposed bias… whatever. The guy works so hard on these games and puts so god damned much into them. I think the man is allowed to indulge a bit in appreciation for the series he’s worked on."

I'm still gonna enjoy it. And I know he didn't steal a spot. Me saying characters were cut to make room for him? I was just upset. I see now it was an overreaction, and I am sorry. But still, I don't have to like every single character, but then again, it's just one guy in the entire series whom I dislike. I'm not gonna let him ruin the game for me, if that's what you're getting at. You never know; I might actually end up liking him.

IceClimbers

Blast wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

Who the heck is this "razorsaw" guy? Is he a developer on the game? Why should I believe a word he says? And I SAID BEFORE... that I like the roster. I think its cool and exciting but some of the decisions just don't make any sense to me. There are franchises being neglected and Smash is supposed to be showcasing popular and less popular yet iconic Nintendo characters! Do you agree with that or not?

And Kid Icarus was completely dormant for how long again? Oh yeah, 20+ years. Over 2 decades. Having so much Kid Icarus representation makes sense, as Sakurai wants to push this franchise as one of Nintendo's main franchises and not just a one-time comeback.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Blast

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Blast He's a user from Tumblr that took the info from Sakurai himself via past quotes. Sakurai doesn't have the development time to put in all of those characters. That's a fact and if you think otherwise, you're probably not aware of how a game is made. When Sakurai makes characters, not only does he have to program their movesets, but he also has to program their taunts, the fashion in the way they hold their items, victory poses, palette swaps, trophys, trophy descriptions and so much more. Do you honestly think three years of development time is enough to cover all that for each character? If Sakurai actually went through with removing clones and including more original characters, the game would be in development hell. NOT TO MENTION he made not one but TWO Smash Bros games simultaneously in a span of three years. I THINK you're being a little unreasonable here.

How am I being reasonable? Even the guy who runs the amazing ssb4dojo agrees that the roster has too many Mario characters and needs help. He even says the roster is awesome but there are still problems. He's a guy whose totally dedicated to Smash, by the way. I'm getting the game. I enjoyed the special 3DS demo and I can't wait to play it on Wii U. I have a right to think the roster has problems. I'm NOT just gonna say, "OHHH SAKURAI! THIS ROSTER IS SOOO GOOD! NEVER CHANGE IT!!!" No, no. I won't do it. The roster isn't bad. I just think it has problems.

Master of the Hype Train

LzWinky

It's simple logic really. Clones should take less time to do than actual new characters. As for why some characters got cut, well maybe they'd have to reprogram them for this game from scratch

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Blast wrote:

How am I being reasonable? Even the guy who runs the amazing ssb4dojo agrees that the roster has too many Mario characters and needs help. He even says the roster is awesome but there are still problems. He's a guy whose totally dedicated to Smash, by the way. I'm getting the game. I enjoyed the special 3DS demo and I can't wait to play it on Wii U. I have a right to think the roster has problems. I'm NOT just gonna say, "OHHH SAKURAI! THIS ROSTER IS SOOO GOOD! NEVER CHANGE IT!!!" No, no. I won't do it. The roster isn't bad. I just think it has problems.

So this one guy's opinion is supposed to trump ours just because he's "dedicated to Smash"? I paid a full $50 for my copy of Brawl, so my opinion is on the same level as his.

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

Guitardude7 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Blast He's a user from Tumblr that took the info from Sakurai himself via past quotes. Sakurai doesn't have the development time to put in all of those characters. That's a fact and if you think otherwise, you're probably not aware of how a game is made. When Sakurai makes characters, not only does he have to program their movesets, but he also has to program their taunts, the fashion in the way they hold their items, victory poses, palette swaps, trophys, trophy descriptions and so much more. Do you honestly think three years of development time is enough to cover all that for each character? If Sakurai actually went through with removing clones and including more original characters, the game would be in development hell. NOT TO MENTION he made not one but TWO Smash Bros games simultaneously in a span of three years. I THINK you're being a little unreasonable here.

Sakurai doesn't put characters in the game based on "reps". He puts them in based on what unique gameplay they can bring to the game. I think the roster is perfectly fine given what Sakurai had to work with and the variety of gameplay elements given to us through these new unique characters is more than enough. I personally think this is the best roster the series has ever had.

Agree to disagree. You're completely fine with this roster and I'm not. I'm not trashing the game at all. I just think the roster has problems!

Master of the Hype Train

Nintendo_Ninja

Sakurai tried to make a varied roster and he was pretty successful. At least the clones are varied enough compared to how some thought they would be.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Blast

WaLzgi wrote:

Blast wrote:

So this one guy's opinion is supposed to trump ours just because he's "dedicated to Smash"? I paid a full $50 for my copy of Brawl, so my opinion is on the same level as his.

Look at this guy's website that's totally dedicated to anything related to Smash. http://ssb4dojo.com/rumor He's not some kid who doesn't know what he's doing. Does his opinion trump yours? Not at all. I respect you guys opinions. I just lean to the guy who actually created an website dedicated to Smash.

Master of the Hype Train

TeeJay

Blast wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

Blast wrote:

Look at this guy's website that's totally dedicated to anything related to Smash. http://ssb4dojo.com/rumor He's not some kid who doesn't know what he's doing. Does his opinion trump yours? Not at all. I respect you guys opinions. I just lean to the guy who actually created an website dedicated to Smash.

Creating a website = more game development knowledge?

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Nintendo_Ninja

Mario has always had the most characters. Why is it such a problem all of a sudden? There are way more FE reps now, plenty of new franchises have reps, and there are more KI reps. What is there to want? There is retro, new, old, and the possibility of DLC!

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

LzWinky

Apparently?

MsJubilee

So a guy who's life is dedicated to smash bros,has more knowledge than everyone else? Weird logic.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

NintendoFan64

Guitardude7 wrote:

Yes, he had to work on 2 versions of Smash Bros. over three years. Of course he can't put in every character we want. And as for what we got, I have loved every newcomer (except Dark Pit). That doesn't mean I can't disagree with a couple of the decisions, though.

Eel

Dark Pit is like a super special case.

His life started in smash bros as an alternate color for Pit. He's a smash baby that went on and became a character of his own in its "source" series.

I think closing the circle and making him his very own character in the series where he originated is a very nice little extra.

Edit: also, Mario is the single biggest series involved in smash, it pretty much pays these games. He can have all the characters and stages he wants.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Blast

I just experienced Pikachu's Final Smash in the special demo... SUCH OVERKILL

Master of the Hype Train

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic