Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 10,821 to 10,840 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

Morphbug wrote:

It would be pretty awkward for me if it was spelled Lucina but pronounced Lukina.

I don't know when the game came out in EU and NA, but we had it for a while here and the name was always Lukina to us. When I saw it as Lucina for the first time I thought it was a style choice on the part of the localizers, but I guess they changed the pronunciation.

Anyway I found this topic, looks like this is a common question.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/6...

In Italian based on that spelling her name would be more like Luchina, and French has it as Lucine with an s sound.

Im trying to think of words in English that have a ci but are pronounced like a ki.

There's a similar issue with Lucas, where in Japanese his name uses the French pronunciation but in any localized material like Smash they use the simple English pronunciation for the name.

A lot of FE names come from French or Italian or Latin, like Noire.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

MrWalkieTalkie

2Sang wrote:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Morphbug wrote:

We are certainly missing the "completely random character from that super old game", the last two games had two of those each if I remember correctly. (Mr G&W + Ice Climbers and ROB + Pit)

I'm hoping for Excitebike Rider. He would be very unique by fighting entirely while on a bike. The Excite series feels long over do for some bigger recognition. They even had 3 games back on the Wii! (ExciteTruck, ExciteBots, ExciteBike World Rally)

That or I think it'd be pretty funny to see Urban Champion join the battle.

I'm still thinking balloon fighter as the most likely of the nes/gb era because of the stage and the balloon icon. Also, he was planned for melee and considered for brawl.

Normally I'd agree, but the Pic of the Posted a few weeks ago pretty much destroys his chances since Sakurai says how Villager's recovery is based on Balloon Fight, even showing how you can have a Balloon Fight of your own with friends by all playing as Villagers.
Untitled

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

bloody_velvet

Has it been confirmed that the 3DS version will be getting Stage bosses as well?

Nintendo4life! 3DS FC: 4167-5841-4337 add me. Nintendo Network: ALANZH

Twitter:

2Sang

@MrWalkieTalkie he also uses boxing gloves and a parasol

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

2Sang

bloody_velvet wrote:

Has it been confirmed that the 3DS version will be getting Stage bosses as well?

Yes to an extent. In Find Mii stage, there's the ultimate monster.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea

bloody_velvet

@2Sang thanks for the response. I was only asking because I'm still trying to see what the Wii U version is going to have exclusively in terms of content and game modes. I'm getting both versions but I still want to know.

Nintendo4life! 3DS FC: 4167-5841-4337 add me. Nintendo Network: ALANZH

Twitter:

Eel

@Tsuchinoko: C is one of those letters that has a different sound depending on the vowel it is paired with.

Edit: oh I see what you meant now with Lucas, sorry.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

2Sang

bloody_velvet wrote:

@2Sang thanks for the response. I was only asking because I'm still trying to see what the Wii U version is going to have exclusively in terms of content and game modes. I'm getting both versions but I still want to know.

We know next to nothing about the wii u version's exclusitivity. The Wii U version WILL have "weapons and abilities" to make your custom character stronger, but that could still be in the 3ds version. I'm hoping for 1 more smash bros direct centered around the wii u, but that's up in the air.

Tsuchinoko

Morphbug wrote:

@Tsuchinoko: C is one of those letters that has a different sound depending on the vowel it is paired with.

Yeah but thats assuming English or Italian spelling rules, and this is a name, so those rules might not apply. Anyway, the pronunciation for the English release has been decided.

Just checked, and Lucina is named after the goddess of motherhood, Juno's Roman counterpart. Her name in Japanese is also pronounced with a k sound.

EDIT I saw your edit. Its all good.

...now can we figure out where Jigglypuff came from? Lol

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

Eel

The character became popular thanks to the anime. And its physical appearance probably helped a lot.

Sakurai probably saw Jigglypuff and thought "hey it looks like Kirby!" And that was most likely all what was needed.

The name is pretty random though, I'd like to think its a reference to desserts.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

DefHalan

2Sang wrote:

bloody_velvet wrote:

We know next to nothing about the wii u version's exclusitivity. The Wii U version WILL have "weapons and abilities" to make your custom character stronger, but that could still be in the 3ds version. I'm hoping for 1 more smash bros direct centered around the wii u, but that's up in the air.

Will probably happen after the 3DS version is released and will come with a release date for the Wii U version.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Tsuchinoko

Morphbug wrote:

The character became popular thanks to the anime. And its physical appearance probably helped a lot.

Sakurai probably saw Jigglypuff and thought "hey it looks like Kirby!" And that was most likely all what was needed.

The name is pretty random though, I'd like to think its a reference to desserts.

Well, the Japanese name is Purin, which means pudding, even though they usually use it to refer to flan. The jelly like monsters in the Final fantasy games are also called Purin in Japanese, but Flan in English releases, so...Jigglypuff? Is pudding a trademark term in certain countries?

Eel

Well, flan is usually depicted as being "jiggly". And marshmallows are usually described as "puffy".

My guess is that they simply wanted to use a unique name instead of having Pikachu, Charmander and Flan.

Bloop.

CapeSmash

I rarely watch footage of the 3DS version. Mainly because I'm more interested in it's console counterpart, and the fact that I'm getting the 3DS version day one, I don't want too many spoilers for it. However, I recently watch footage of the 3DS version, and I'm going to be completely honest here; it looks very boring. And what I mean by boring, is the gameplay and artstyle. It just all looks bland and not very fun. I wanted to fall asleep while watching the footage, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying it, it's just that it seems bland and boring. But I really need to play the game for myself to see.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Eel

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Wait Jigglypuff's Japanese name is Purin? It's literally just named after a dessert. Haha that's awesome.

Yup, you can hear it if you play Melee in Japanese or listen to its sound files in Brawl.

Its final smash goes "PURIIIIINNNN~", adorable.

Bloop.

UGXwolf

@Tsuchinoko Just to be specific, in English pronunciation, "ci" and "ce" are almost always, if not always, pronounced with a soft c that sounds like an "s." On the other hand, "ca," "co," and "cu" all tend to have a hard c that sounds like a "k." "Cy" is usually soft, but can be tricky sometimes as it's somewhat uncommon and "c" with just about any consonant is almost always a hard sound.

From what I'm aware, Italian usually resorts to the "ch" sound when you have "cc" instead of just one c, but I'm by no means an expert, so an actual Italian may be better to ask. (I may just ask a girl I know that lived in Italy for a while. She'll know for sure. She's very picky about language.)

As for Lucas, I couldn't even begin to explain. I must not know as much about French as I think I do because I was pretty sure "Lucas" in French looked and sounded very much the same. Maybe just leaving the "s" silent.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

@Tsuchinoko Just to be specific, in English pronunciation, "ci" and "ce" are almost always, if not always, pronounced with a soft c that sounds like an "s." On the other hand, "ca," "co," and "cu" all tend to have a hard c that sounds like a "k." "Cy" is usually soft, but can be tricky sometimes as it's somewhat uncommon and "c" with just about any consonant is almost always a hard sound.

From what I'm aware, Italian usually resorts to the "ch" sound when you have "cc" instead of just one c, but I'm by no means an expert, so an actual Italian may be better to ask. (I may just ask a girl I know that lived in Italy for a while. She'll know for sure. She's very picky about language.)

As for Lucas, I couldn't even begin to explain. I must not know as much about French as I think I do because I was pretty sure "Lucas" in French looked and sounded very much the same. Maybe just leaving the "s" silent.

I do know about the double consonant rule in Italian like with pizza, but doesn't ci sound like chi? Like in ciao or Cinzano?

As for Lucas, the way its pronounced in Japanese would look kinda like Lyuka, very light on the y. I read somewhere that he was named after someone, I think a character from a French novel, but I don't remember who.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Am i seeing a 3ds Megaman stage screenshot?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic