Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 10,221 to 10,240 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

The fact that Sakurai showed the random Rayman trophy in the afternoon, Japan time, of the same day that he was going to reveal a new set of mystery characters later that night is interesting and a nice bit of trolling, but they wouldn't have a character trophy from a random company unless there was more to it, Rayman connected or not. The timing is interesting, but I'm fairly sure that was just a bit of prank. Still though, as a group we should think oh the why, instead of the actual trophy itself.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

DreamyViridi

Well, I'm glad the question I had about Robin is solved. I'll probably charge through Levin Sword first, or maybe rack up the damage before breaking out the Smash attacks. I hope there will be a tell for when the Levin Sword and Tomes are ready again.

@Tsuchinoko - I said this before but maybe it's part of a line of trophy characters that notably contributed to Nintendo over its history. Or as one of the GameXplainers call it, the "Nintendo Friends" line.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

UGXwolf

First off, the Rayman trophy was revealed for a few reasons. We can assume that it was for the sake of misdirection to create that "anything can happen" feel that Sakurai loves so much, but as someone else already pointed out (but then failed to draw the conclusion) July 14th was Bastille Day in France. French Independence Day? Reveal a French character trophy. Why not? And that's likely the actual significance behind Rayman's reveal.

Second, I don't think you guys remember correctly. There hasn't been a single character that we know of with 16 customizable moves. It has always been 12. What I'm thinking is that Thunder is the quick-and-weak version, Elthunder is the middle-of-the-road version, and Arcthunder is the strong-but-slow version that becomes easier to dodge the further away your opponent is. It fits the main model for the spells really well.

So then what about Thoran? Well, GameXplain pointed this out, so I may as well do so, too. All three of the Thunder spells appear to be relatively lagless. They come out and Robin is ready to fight, again. Thoran, on the other hand, has a notable amount of start-up AND recovery lag. It wouldn't be terrible to assume that Thoran is the powered-up version that you might charge up over time and have a chance to release later, similar to Mac's KO Punch. Or maybe you can use it at any time, but you have to charge it and can't hold it like other charge attacks do because of how long the attack lasts. It also seems extremely punishable, if dodged, as you'll be useless for a while as Robin does his little recovery animation, which actually seems to take kinda long, all things considered. The same likely applies for the Fire moves. Slow-and-powerful, middle-of-the-road, and quick-but-weak. The question is if this works for his air attacks and honestly, I don't think so.

We see him using downward wind blades that he appears to be able to use multiples of and jump off of. First off, this is an amazing recovery, but it's stained by the fact that it'll waste your mana so fast, it's gonna hurt. (It's not mana, but I'm gonna call it mana because I'm a newb.) We also see a wind blade technique, but note that THIS IS NOT HIS GRAB! We see his grab in a clip with Diddy Kong and a picture with Marth. It's dark magic that surprisingly doesn't change his book's color. GXplain has theorized that this is no particular dark magic spell and I haven't played FE:A, so I can't really argue with them. I theorize that the wind-blade technique we see him using is a ground version of whatever his up-B is in that clip.

As for his down-B, it appears that'll be dark magic, and as a side-note, did anyone notice that Nosferatu is healing Robin at the same time it's hurting Palutena? No wonder these attacks are limited in use. He'd be OP, otherwise. And just for the sake of completeness, we see his final smash and it's glorious. Looks like Chrom dashes forward similar to Marth's FS, but if it hits, you get something very similar to Ike's FS.

On that note, it looks like Lucina has a separate FS. I'm wondering if this means that Falco and Wolf will have separate FSs. And maybe Toon Link will get a new one by the time this is all over? He could use the cyclones to really mess things up on the stage and make it really hard to recover while they're up.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

ZurrrrBlattTron

or what if it's like R.O.B's Standard special where if you didn't use his ROB Beam for a while it got stronger as you waited the weakest thunder spell is what you start off with, the Elthunder becomes available after you wait like 10-15 seconds ArcThunder becomes available at 30 seconds and Thoran is what you get for waiting about 45-50 seconds in the match or the last time you used a thunder spell just like R.O.B :3

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

DreamyViridi

IDK, Robin's Thunder Tomes seems more like a charge-up move than anything else.

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Kewlan

But charging doesn't make sense since that's not how it works in the game...
I bet it's just customized moves.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

DreamyViridi

Yes, but for the sake for Smash, sometimes changes have to be made so it translates and fits into Smash Bros.
Example: Jigglypuff's 'Rest' move.

Mario Maker Levels

Jazzer94

DreamyViridi wrote:

IDK, Robin's Thunder Tomes seems more like a charge-up move than anything else.

That's what I was thinking tbh.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

DreamyViridi

Oh, and speaking of Robin; I wanted to mention this earlier but forgot. I think there might be a second FE stage in the works. Take a look at this screenshot from the Official site. Behind Marth, have we seen that throne before...? Looks like something from Awakening, though I forget which chapter.

Mario Maker Levels

DreamyViridi

@Jazzer94 - Ah right, sorry. That throne looked like something from FE to me. My bad!

Mario Maker Levels

KratosAce

So, No one is gonna comment on what I said ?
Ok....

I'm too tired to think of something to write here...
Cookies

UGXwolf

@KratosAce No, I don't think they will. They'll likely be instantaneous, meaning we will hardly see them at all, and I can't imagine those attacks lasting long.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Kewlan

I guess since his sword requires a recharge, the tomes could too.

Sakurai said: "By the way, Robin’s tome changes with each special attack."
Does that mean that it cycles like Fire, Thunder, Wind and then back to Fire, similar to Olimar's Pikmin, or is it random? My bet is on a fixed cycle.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

Shirma_Akayaku

Some sexy Zero Suit Falcon
Untitled

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

First off, the Rayman trophy was revealed for a few reasons. We can assume that it was for the sake of misdirection to create that "anything can happen" feel that Sakurai loves so much, but as someone else already pointed out (but then failed to draw the conclusion) July 14th was Bastille Day in France. French Independence Day? Reveal a French character trophy. Why not? And that's likely the actual significance behind Rayman's reveal.

Second, I don't think you guys remember correctly. There hasn't been a single character that we know of with 16 customizable moves. It has always been 12. What I'm thinking is that Thunder is the quick-and-weak version, Elthunder is the middle-of-the-road version, and Arcthunder is the strong-but-slow version that becomes easier to dodge the further away your opponent is. It fits the main model for the spells really well.

So then what about Thoran? Well, GameXplain pointed this out, so I may as well do so, too. All three of the Thunder spells appear to be relatively lagless. They come out and Robin is ready to fight, again. Thoran, on the other hand, has a notable amount of start-up AND recovery lag. It wouldn't be terrible to assume that Thoran is the powered-up version that you might charge up over time and have a chance to release later, similar to Mac's KO Punch. Or maybe you can use it at any time, but you have to charge it and can't hold it like other charge attacks do because of how long the attack lasts. It also seems extremely punishable, if dodged, as you'll be useless for a while as Robin does his little recovery animation, which actually seems to take kinda long, all things considered. The same likely applies for the Fire moves. Slow-and-powerful, middle-of-the-road, and quick-but-weak. The question is if this works for his air attacks and honestly, I don't think so.

We see him using downward wind blades that he appears to be able to use multiples of and jump off of. First off, this is an amazing recovery, but it's stained by the fact that it'll waste your mana so fast, it's gonna hurt. (It's not mana, but I'm gonna call it mana because I'm a newb.) We also see a wind blade technique, but note that THIS IS NOT HIS GRAB! We see his grab in a clip with Diddy Kong and a picture with Marth. It's dark magic that surprisingly doesn't change his book's color. GXplain has theorized that this is no particular dark magic spell and I haven't played FE:A, so I can't really argue with them. I theorize that the wind-blade technique we see him using is a ground version of whatever his up-B is in that clip.

As for his down-B, it appears that'll be dark magic, and as a side-note, did anyone notice that Nosferatu is healing Robin at the same time it's hurting Palutena? No wonder these attacks are limited in use. He'd be OP, otherwise. And just for the sake of completeness, we see his final smash and it's glorious. Looks like Chrom dashes forward similar to Marth's FS, but if it hits, you get something very similar to Ike's FS.

On that note, it looks like Lucina has a separate FS. I'm wondering if this means that Falco and Wolf will have separate FSs. And maybe Toon Link will get a new one by the time this is all over? He could use the cyclones to really mess things up on the stage and make it really hard to recover while they're up.

I disagree with several of your points, but lets wait and see.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Captain_Toad

KratosAce wrote:

Even now Robin's play-style is kinda a mystery.
Gonna have to wait for tomorrow's picture.
Also, do you guys think that these comic-like-effects (Like in the second picture) would obstruct the view ?

I don't think it will.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic