Forums

Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 3?

Posts 121 to 140 of 144

TuVictus

Ralizah wrote:

I've started playing Galaxy 2 recently for the first time, and I don't understand all the praise it gets. So far, it has removed any semblance of an interesting story, added annoying gameplay mechanics (like anything involving Yoshi), and taken away the exploratory joy of the original Galaxy.

For me it was the more challenging level design and gameplay such as yoshi that makes it better than the original. But opinions, what are you gonna do.

TuVictus

Jacob717

Ralizah wrote:

I've started playing Galaxy 2 recently for the first time, and I don't understand all the praise it gets. So far, it has removed any semblance of an interesting story, added annoying gameplay mechanics (like anything involving Yoshi), and taken away the exploratory joy of the original Galaxy.

Yeah. I played Galaxy 2 before Galaxy 1, and I like Galaxy 1 better. Galaxy 2 is a little more challenging and more linear than the first game. I liked how Galaxy 1 didn't have frustratingly hard levels and had a mix of linear and open world levels.

Jacob717

Dezzy

I liked Galaxy 1 more too. It had a bit more character and sense of story to it. I think people like Galaxy 2 because it just packed so many new ideas into the levels.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Bolt_Strike

Ralizah wrote:

I only really like Galaxy 2 by comparison to NSMB and 3D Land/World, other than that it did dumb things down quite a bit (although I never really had a problem with Yoshi or found any gameplay mechanics annoying).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Henmii

"Well they're actually working on Metroid"

Never officially confirmed! Its all wishful thinking!

"That's a nice list of unjustified assertions you have there"

My assumptions are based on Nintendo simplyfieing everything all the time. But we'll see.

As for Galaxy 2: Sure it did some pretty cool things (like the drill, Yoshi and the more difficult stars), but it was also a simplyfied affair. A more simple story, less cinematic cutscenes, no proper hub-world, levels are just placed on a map. I absolutely prefer the first one!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Haru17

Yeah, I loved the way Zero Punctuation put it; that you traveled around on a planet-sized personification of Mario's massive ego.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

NinjaWaddleDee

Not gonna lie, Galaxy 2 was pretty boring to be honest. It just lacked any sort of personality whatsoever. I'm not saying Mario games need huge epic stories, but I like a good cinematic flair to my big budget Mario games every now and then. It fit the orchestral score perfectly in Galaxy 1.

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

kkslider5552000

I disagree. By nearly all standards Galaxy 2 is a fantastic video game. However, the first game was a mix of innovation and lightning in a bottle genius that doesn't come often that Galaxy 2 had almost no chance to live up to. It's been best described as a Mario Galaxy level pack/expansion pack, I do agree. Like a mix of that and a Yoshi mod, but on the highest level of quality.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It's been best described as a Mario Galaxy level pack/expansion pack, I do agree. Like a mix of that and a Yoshi mod, but on the highest level of quality.

Pretty much. I don't think it's bad by any standards. In fact it's good, just uninspired and completely forgettable like a NSMB game.

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It's been best described as a Mario Galaxy level pack/expansion pack, I do agree. Like a mix of that and a Yoshi mod, but on the highest level of quality.

Pretty much. I don't think it's bad by any standards. In fact it's good, just uninspired and completely forgettable like a NSMB game.

I wouldn't go that far, because none of the NSMB are as good as the old games imo and have just...blatantly worse aesthetic (barring maybe the backgrounds in NSMBU). Good luck at your table of 1 though.

Though in the context of Galaxy being better than the 2d games, I'd agree with that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

To be fair the very first of the New SMB games was pretty fresh for its time. Think about it, before the first New SMB the last original 2D Mario game was Super Mario Land 2 which was also the last original portable Mario game. We'd had Wario Land for sure but not Mario. The whole GBA era in particular had nothing but a pile of SNES and NES ports to scratch the Mario itch. It was a big deal and not just because it sold well.

Hard to think of the New SMB like that now but it definitely was like that for the first one.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

Yes, everyone knows of the roughly-decade-long 2D Mario staycation. The thing is that NSMB1, though neat in its time, feels almost generic in hindsight because of how similar it's sequels are. That game had some cool ideas, like the mega mushroom (admittedly a gimmick) and the vertical level that let you warp from one side of the screen to the other, like an arcade game. But even remembering back now, all of the NSMB games blend together. I thought the giant bowser end boss was DS, but it was actually Wii, etc.

Still, though, that game is made less remarkable with each sequel, as it's just 'another Mario game with a 2.5D art style.'

I guess that's why I don't desire a Galaxy 3; because, like NSMB, the first one was intriguing but the games became less and less interesting. More than anything Mario needs new ideas, I feel.

Edited on by Haru17

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

To be fair the very first of the New SMB games was pretty fresh for its time. Think about it, before the first New SMB the last original 2D Mario game was Super Mario Land 2 which was also the last original portable Mario game. We'd had Wario Land for sure but not Mario. The whole GBA era in particular had nothing but a pile of SNES and NES ports to scratch the Mario itch. It was a big deal and not just because it sold well.

Hard to think of the New SMB like that now but it definitely was like that for the first one.

Oh yeah definitely. NSMB was a breath of fresh air for its time (of course I didn't notice it as well because when I was playing the GBA, I didn't know anything about the NES and SNES' lineup and wasn't aware that most of the GBA's lineup were in fact remakes) but after 3 sequels that did very little to change things up plus 2 3D games that also did very little to change things up, there's a definite sense of fatigue from that style of Mario game. Time to bring back the collectathons, please. Even if they don't actually innovate anything at the very least they'll provide a different experience from the endless slew of linear platformers.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

All I'm saying is that it's easy looking back to say that New SMB is an unoriginal and tired idea now. Because at this point it most definitely is. But when the first one came out? That was a big deal in terms of sales, fan appreciation and critical praise. Because it was a new Mario game and the first 2D or portable one in ages.

Put it this way, between 1985 and 1995? Seven original Mario games +/- 1 depending on what you think counts. Between 1996 and 2006? Three including one in 2006 and one in 1996. Three. But then in a short period between 2009 and 2013? We get 6 of them, 7 if you include Luigi. Only one of them a wholly original concept. The others, as much as I loved them, were mostly HD revisions and glorified level packs. So we're saying New SMB and Mario in general is stale within that context.... it was an entirely different situation back in '06.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoyBoy

I'm not expacting a new Mario game to arrive until next gen since I read that interview with Miyamoto:

Miyamoto was asked about whether Mario was taking off the year and what can we expect from Mario in the future, in which he responded:

“Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I’ve always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.”

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

SuperWiiU

Ralizah wrote:

I've finished Galaxy 1 recently for the first time and I didn't see much of an interesting story there either. It's pretty simple, only the storybook that adds a little background to it.
Personally, it isn't among my favorite Mario platformers. I actually hoped Galaxy 2 was a little better than it.

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

All I'm saying is that it's easy looking back to say that New SMB is an unoriginal and tired idea now. Because at this point it most definitely is. But when the first one came out? That was a big deal in terms of sales, fan appreciation and critical praise. Because it was a new Mario game and the first 2D or portable one in ages.

Put it this way, between 1985 and 1995? Seven original Mario games +/- 1 depending on what you think counts. Between 1996 and 2006? Three including one in 2006 and one in 1996. Three. But then in a short period between 2009 and 2013? We get 6 of them, 7 if you include Luigi. Only one of them a wholly original concept. The others, as much as I loved them, were mostly HD revisions and glorified level packs. So we're saying New SMB and Mario in general is stale within that context.... it was an entirely different situation back in '06.

And that context matters now why?

Mahemoth wrote:

I'm not expacting a new Mario game to arrive until next gen since I read that interview with Miyamoto:

Miyamoto was asked about whether Mario was taking off the year and what can we expect from Mario in the future, in which he responded:

“Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I’ve always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.”

That doesn't necessarily mean that the next main series Mario game will be until next gen.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

JoyBoy

^ Nope, it doesn't.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Bolt_Strike

Mahemoth wrote:

^ Nope, it doesn't.

Fixed.

Anyway, Miyamoto didn't necessarily say that they're moving onto next gen. Just that when Mario does move onto next gen he'll take on a new role.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17

Now announcing 'Mario Maker,' an educational game for sex ed courses.

Edited on by Haru17

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.