Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World - OT

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,409

CanisWolfred

NintySince96 wrote:

iMii wrote:

I think most complaints are with the graphics. They don't see the polygon count or endless details in the backgrounds that agree with the next gen graphics focus that other companies tell us makes the world revolve. They wanted skyscrapers and majestic mountains holding aloft a highly detailed peach's castle as the went around bopping goombas.

As an old school SMB 3 person I'm loving the HD version of that universe. Never was wowed by galaxy's flash.

Galaxy was more than just flash.

And yes, you're right. We were expecting stunning visuals. Isn't that what you spend money on an HD console for? The visuals on this game are crisp and smooth, but for a console with the power of the Wii U they hit way below its weight. And honestly, it's more than just the graphics that a lot of people don't like. We were expecting a star collecting adventure with actual worlds instead of just levels.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not fair the way people that like the game on this forum keep labeling those of us that don't like it as "complainers" and saying things like, "you haven't even played it yet."

If we're not fond of the direction they took then that's our opinion.

I don't like the direction, either, and I'm not fond of labeling people complainers just because they want to voice their opinion. However, I know I would appreciate it if more people would show some understanding. Yes, it's not the Mario game we wanted, but it's a necessary game for Nintendo right now. Plus, it'll likely be a very good game. No one has to like it, but at least understand why they're doing it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

skywake

iMii wrote:

I think most complaints are with the graphics. They don't see the polygon count or endless details in the backgrounds that agree with the next gen graphics focus that other companies tell us makes the world revolve. They wanted skyscrapers and majestic mountains holding aloft a highly detailed peach's castle as the went around bopping goombas.

As an old school SMB 3 person I'm loving the HD version of that universe. Never was wowed by galaxy's flash.

I don't think it's that. I think the bigger problem was that the first impression the game gave us was that initial level where it's a flat world with a couple of enemies. Doesn't really give the right impression. Which is different to Galaxy where every screenshot was fantastic...

The problem with making the game flat

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NinChocolate

NintySince96 wrote:

iMii wrote:

Galaxy was more than just flash.

And yes, you're right. We were expecting stunning visuals. Isn't that what you spend money on an HD console for? The visuals on this game are crisp and smooth, but for a console with the power of the Wii U they hit way below its weight. And honestly, it's more than just the graphics that a lot of people don't like. We were expecting a star collecting adventure with actual worlds instead of just levels.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not fair the way people that like the game on this forum keep labeling those of us that don't like it as "complainers" and saying things like, "you haven't even played it yet."

If we're not fond of the direction they took then that's our opinion.

I can appreciate that.

NinChocolate

NinChocolate

skywake wrote:

iMii wrote:

I don't think it's that. I think the bigger problem was that the first impression the game gave us was that initial level where it's a flat world with a couple of enemies. Doesn't really give the right impression. Which is different to Galaxy where every screenshot was fantastic...

The problem with making the game flat

I can understand that.

NinChocolate

GamecubeMan

As a consumer, that is investing my money to buy something enterntainment. I find it hard to be "selfish" in that regard. So, with that logic, Im a bad person if I disliked the Xbox One reveal and decided not purchasing it? Pure stupidity at its best. Anyway, this game first impression was pretty lame for a 3D Mario game.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

bassoongoon

I am sure this game will be great. It is exciting for me becaues it hearkens back to SMB2 and SMW. I eagerly await this release.

You can pry my bassoon from my cold dead fingers!

CowLaunch

If I buy a HD console to play a game that could have been made for 3DS, then at the very least I want the visuals to be 'stunning' rather than adequate.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch

GamecubeMan

CowLaunch wrote:

If I buy a HD console to play a game that could have been made for 3
DS, then at the very least I want the visuals to be 'stunning' rather than adequate.

^ This! Thank you sir for being one of thr only people not blinded with fanboyism and loving the game just because its 3D Mario.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
My

NintySince96

Everything that CowLaunch and Gamecubelad said!

The system with one game alone will cost well over 400. That doesn't even include things like extra controllers. So far Nintendo has only really given me two big reasons to buy the Wii U (smash bros and Mario kart 8.). I'm not sure that's enough right now. They remade a Zelda game that still holds up extremely well (I would have been much more interested in a OOT or MM HD remake). The "3D Mario" is basically NSMB/3D land on the Wii U (will be a solid game. But gives me no real reason to buy a new system when I can play NSMB and 3D Land already). DKC is always good, but once again, why should I drop 400 plus bucks when all I'm getting is pretty much the same side-scroller with a graphics update?

Edited on by NintySince96

NintySince96

DreamyViridi

NintySince96 wrote:

Everything that CowLaunch and Gamecubelad said!

The system with one game alone will cost well over 400. That doesn't even include things like extra controllers. So far Nintendo has only really given me two big reasons to buy the Wii U (smash bros and Mario kart 8.). I'm not sure that's enough right now. They remade a Zelda game that still holds up extremely well (I would have been much more interested in a OOT or MM HD remake). The "3D Mario" is basically NSMB/3D land on the Wii U (will be a solid game. But gives me no real reason to buy a new system when I can play NSMB and 3D Land already). DKC is always good, but once again, why should I drop 400 plus bucks when all I'm getting is pretty much the same side-scroller with a graphics update?

Constructive Criticism at its finest. Finally something negative that doesn't just come off at someone whining like a baby.

As for me, I feel this is the start of the mountain climbing Nintendo has done. I am looking forward to 3D World; one of the levels was something that looks like it belongs in Galaxy after all. Will it make me buy a Wii U though? No (mostly because I have to watch where my money goes nowadays), Smash Bros. and Mario Kart will do that; but that doesn't mean I can't look forward to how fun this game will be.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Geonjaha

GamecubeLad wrote:

CowLaunch wrote:

If I buy a HD console to play a game that could have been made for 3
DS, then at the very least I want the visuals to be 'stunning' rather than adequate.

^ This! Thank you sir for being one of thr only people not blinded with fanboyism and loving the game just because its 3D Mario.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Ketchupcat

Untitled
Those cat suits are bound to get annoying though:
Untitled
So Bowser decides to give our heroes a taste of their own medicine!
Untitled

My Colors! 3D Gallery: http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=98143
"You forgot your mayonnaise."-Squidward

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5371-3115 | Nintendo Network ID: keithmc2

ITAFTRS

At first I did actually get a bit disappointed when I heard about this game. When I heard Nintendo was gonna make a brand new 3d Super Mario game, I was hoping for something like SM64 or Sunshine. And then this came, so I was like meh... But giving this a second thought, it doesn't seem very bad to me. After all, I did enjoy playing Super Mario 3D Land. And the new cat suit looks really appealing to me; I remember how much I used to love playing as a cat in that ol' Tiny Toons NES game. So yeah, disappoinment's gone now:)

ITAFTRS

Snagrio

Dev wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Did you guys really think you were gonna get Super Mario 64 U?

If we did, people would've still complained about it being too much like Super Mario 64. You can't satisfy all gamers, just as you can't make everyone like you.

Pretty much. I've already seen several fellow NL users say they'd rather have a Mario Galaxy 3 then SM3DW. But even if we got that instead there still would have been grumbling and complaining throughout the community. Perhaps not quite as much, but it still would've been there.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

SphericalCrusher

I didn't get the chance to read all comments, but here's my input on this game. I had the chance to play through two levels as Mario in this game recently. I absolutely LOVED it. I kind of wish they kept the camera angle of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy though instead of using the New SMB style, but I can see why they couldn't — multiplayer. But you get what I mean — I'm hoping the next one we get a single player (or maybe two player) Mario game and then continue on with this one as a separate series. The game played as smooth as New SMBU and looked amazing. I love how it's like SMB2 with the characters also! It flowed really well. For the first time playing, I had depth issues — I over jumped sometimes, etc but that was all on me. It sort of has the ins and outs of a 2D and 3D experience and I can't wait to buy it day one. That's my two cents, hah.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

CowLaunch

WingedFish wrote:

Dev wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Did you guys really think you were gonna get Super Mario 64 U?

If we did, people would've still complained about it being too much like Super Mario 64. You can't satisfy all gamers, just as you can't make everyone like you.

Pretty much. I've already seen several fellow NL users say they'd rather have a Mario Galaxy 3 then SM3DW. But even if we got that instead there still would have been grumbling and complaining throughout the community. Perhaps not quite as much, but it still would've been there.

Well, not really. It's been a while since Sunshine, and we've already had 3D land and 2 other 2D Mario games recently. A game that justifies the existence of the gamepad and the expense of buying a HD console is all people are asking for. For that , Nintendo usually turns to Mario and Zelda. This game could have been made for 3DS (why is '3D' even in the title?) and Wind Waker was on the Gamecube. Looked at that way, it starts to appear quite pathetic.

This is the first Nintendo home console that my friends and I have little desire for. I do recognise the commercial arguments, but the problem is that whenever Nintendo hasn't been the key mainstream choice they have relied on a loyal fanbase, and it wont be there if they are alienated and don't even own the console. Also to consider is that they have profited by taking innovative risks before, such as the Wii.

By ignoring franchises like F-Zero and Starfox in favour of more 2D and limited 3D Mario games, they could be making a decision for short term profits rather than long term stability.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch

GamecubeMan

/me spits on the lame game thread.

please, no bodily fluids. Let's all play nicely.-k8smum

Edited on by k8sMum

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
My

SammyOfMobius

MAN1AC wrote:

This is amazing.
This definitely looks like something I would buy

Fixed.

Edited on by SammyOfMobius

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

FireMario887

Why is Mario's cat suit gold and not red? Luigi should get the gold suit, it's his year and the game releases on his year.

FireMario887

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.