Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,409

skywake

WebHead wrote:

This. This so much. Okay fine, it's not a big open world game. But come on....a multiplayer 3D Mario where each character is unique? You aren't going to tell me that isn't awesome. And you guys would have complained if it was Galaxy 3 as anyway lol.

It's awesome but it's not the game anyone was expecting. Galaxy was fantastic, everyone assumed they were going to do something as massive. This doesn't appear as creative and of the three big pre-announced titles (3D Mario, Smash, Kart) had the least amount of in-your-face new ideas on display.

Just to remind everyone, this is one of the levels we saw from Galaxy before it was released:

...... kinda hard to be as excited about cat-suits and clear pipes

[edit]
Not saying it's a bad title, that it won't get scores in the 90s and I'm sure I'll grab it day 1. Just that it's easy to understand the slight disappointment people are feeling.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OptometristLime

To be fair that snippet from Galaxy had as much chance at misrepresenting the final product, as all the meager bits of gameplay footage that have been culled in anticipation of the Wii U title. It's hard to think that way, this side round of the Galaxy phenomena, but the same caution ought be applied here. What people are complaining about, the recycled art assets and such, I can empathize but those things should in no way hold back the gameplay. Still I can assay to your valid point, that the awe factor here is an order of magnitude less than it was for Galaxy; Nintendo may have goofed up by showing us so little of the final product.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

NintySince96

Geonjaha wrote:

In response to anyone still asking why people are somewhat critical of this new Mario game:

SMB: First Mario Platformer on NES, innovative and awesome.
SMB 2: Introduced multiple characters, very different mechanics/graphics.
SMB 3: Improved a lot on initial concepts, widely regarded as a great game.
SMW: Significantly different to SMB3 but equally as good.
SMW 2: Instant classic, nothing like the games that came before it.
SM 64: Introduced large 3D levels, getting stars instead of simply finishing levels.

I think you get the general idea, Sunshine and Galaxy included.

NSMB: Return of the series, not much new, but good minigames.
NSMB Wii: Pretty much the same, no minigames, with multiplayer.
NSMB 2: Minigames still gone, still same graphics and music, boring coin focus.
NSMB U: Same graphical assets, same music, getting the picture yet?
SM 3D Land: 3D game but still with levels, nothing innovative.
SM 3D World: NSMB treatment of 3D Land, added multiplayer and some new stuff.

Yes, Super Mario 3D World will be fun, of course it will, but you know what would be more fun? Something new. Compare the differences in the games on the top half of the list to the ones on the bottom and the problem becomes blindingly obvious.

I couldn't of said this any better myself. Compared to what we're used to with each new console Mario game, this feels like a bit of letdown because we've seen it so may times in the past few years now.

NintySince96

NintySince96

WebHead wrote:

CorporalPegasus wrote:

Untitled
Please stop hating this game before its even released! Geez.

This. This so much. Okay fine, it's not a big open world game. But come on....a multiplayer 3D Mario where each character is unique? You aren't going to tell me that isn't awesome. And you guys would have complained if it was Galaxy 3 as anyway lol.

I just don't understand why everybody is so excited because it's multiplayer? In my opinion, a multiplayer Mario platformer is a terrible idea. There's usually very little platfoming going on and it's just a bunch of people jumping around and getting each other's way. Not only that, but the camera can't follow all of you at once, so you can't really go ahead and do what you want to do. Plus, at my age, I'm more of a single-player gamer anyway. It's not like back in the 90s where I was having sleepovers and everyone played Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party. Add that in with the fact that the fiends I have that do play games these days are playstation and xbox fans, and a multiplayer Mario platformer just comes off as more of a mediocre gimmick than an interesting game mechanic.

I'm not knocking anybody that likes it. I'm just pointing out why this game doesn't really excite me based on my current personal tastes as a gamer.

Edited on by NintySince96

NintySince96

Innit

That clip tells a really good story.

Nintendo undersold the entire E3.

Innit

CowLaunch

Geonjaha wrote:

In response to anyone still asking why people are somewhat critical of this new Mario game:

SMB: First Mario Platformer on NES, innovative and awesome.
SMB 2: Introduced multiple characters, very different mechanics/graphics.
SMB 3: Improved a lot on initial concepts, widely regarded as a great game.
SMW: Significantly different to SMB3 but equally as good.
SMW 2: Instant classic, nothing like the games that came before it.
SM 64: Introduced large 3D levels, getting stars instead of simply finishing levels.

I think you get the general idea, Sunshine and Galaxy included.

NSMB: Return of the series, not much new, but good minigames.
NSMB Wii: Pretty much the same, no minigames, with multiplayer.
NSMB 2: Minigames still gone, still same graphics and music, boring coin focus.
NSMB U: Same graphical assets, same music, getting the picture yet?
SM 3D Land: 3D game but still with levels, nothing innovative.
SM 3D World: NSMB treatment of 3D Land, added multiplayer and some new stuff.

Yes, Super Mario 3D World will be fun, of course it will, but you know what would be more fun? Something new. Compare the differences in the games on the top half of the list to the ones on the bottom and the problem becomes blindingly obvious.

Oooh, he's going to win.

CowLaunch

Ganondwarf

skywake wrote:

WebHead wrote:

It's awesome but it's not the game anyone was expecting. Galaxy was fantastic, everyone assumed they were going to do something as massive. This doesn't appear as creative and of the three big pre-announced titles (3D Mario, Smash, Kart) had the least amount of in-your-face new ideas on display.

Just to remind everyone, this is one of the levels we saw from Galaxy before it was released:

...... kinda hard to be as excited about cat-suits and clear pipes

[edit]
Not saying it's a bad title, that it won't get scores in the 90s and I'm sure I'll grab it day 1. Just that it's easy to understand the slight disappointment people are feeling.

Agreed this game is very bad compared to the likes of 64 and sunshine I hope and believe maybe this is just a title to hold us off to the real 3D Mario comes out maybe it's taking ages because it's going to be so huge (that's what I hope is the case)

Ganondwarf

Nintendo Network ID: Forbsz

CowLaunch

How I feel about this game is kind of like the reaction the Jimmy Carter statue got in the Simpsons. When you think about it, it's not the worst thing ever, but it is quite a disappointment.

CowLaunch

WebHead

I understand a bit of the disappointment, the 3D Mario on each console does tend to have a different theme. But like Wii, WIi U could get more than one 3D Mario.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Klimbatize

Geonjaha wrote:

CapnPancakes wrote:

If you all can take a break from the negative comments toward this game, i'd like to remind you that the Wii U isn't exactly doing great as of now, so can you really blame Nintendo for playing it safe?

Yeah...except the Wii U isn't doing very well because it doesn't have enough good games. All hardcore Nintendo fans are going to buy the console for the new Mario game anyway. Anyone outside that demographic isn't going to be convinced with another standard Mario level based Platformer.

That doesn't make sense. If hardcores are already going to buy the game, then they need to make a game that appeals to the masses. This is the exact type of game that casuals buy. It's familiar and safe. That's why New Super Mario Bros Wii outsold Galaxy 1 and 2 COMBINED by 10 million copies.

This is the kind of game you develop when your console is struggling. When it already has the install base, then you can make a more ambitious game (like a Galaxy). Right now Nintendo needs system sellers, so that's why Mario Kart and a "retread" game like this becomes the priority to produce.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

ThePirateCaptain

@MetallicDonkey
Thank you for reinforcing my point kind sir.

With Wii U sales as they are, Nintendo is looking to drive up the install base and attract more people before they really can start taking more risks and developing titles that may not do as well. It seems like the obvious route to make sequels to games that were highly successful like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario 3D Land. Once the Wii U picks up in sales, there's a higher chance of us seeing an open world Mario game or Metroid, but right now, Nintendo just needs to get their sales going.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

skywake

I don't think people understood what I was trying to say and I do think people are being overly harsh on some of their recent titles. 3D Land was a fantastic game by any objective measure, it's the fourth highest rated 3DS game on Metacritic right now and for good reason. If you have forgotten how good it was grab your copy and play a few levels. It's awesome.

The original New SMB and most of the others have been the same. The Wii U version is I would argue the best of them and the 3DS one the least impressive. The only real problem with the New SMB games is the low difficulty level which is less of an issue now because of DLC. Which when you think about it would probably also apply to Super Mario World which many would call the pinnacle of 2D Mario.

3D World so far hasn't shown any ideas that have the punch that 3D Land or Galaxy did. It's now doing cool level designs or playing around with Tanooki suits in a way we haven't seen. It has Cats and Peach... and apparently Tanooki suits, Skates and Frog suits... which they didn't really show. Watch the trailer again:

There's quite a lot going on in the second half. Ignoring the art direction some of those levels could have easily been in Galaxy.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

shingi_70

I'm not the biggest fan of the game mostly becuase I'm not a fan of the modern Mario Art style. I thought it was okay in 3D land but looking at a ton of pitures of all the recent Mario games together and they kind of blur together too much, I'm a bigger fan of the Galaxy/Sunshine style art style which didn't skew as young in my eyes as Cat Mario and friends did. I personally think that the art and story directions of Galaxy is what I want the Mario Series to aimed at.

The weird pastel look is kind off off putting to me.
Untitled

Even from a gameplay perspective 3D world looks solid, but I cant help wanting something in the Vein of 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. That said I expect this game to really pick the Wii U up and sell pretty well. There's a reason why 3D land has done better than all other 3D Mario's before. It takes the NSMB art style and mixes it with the 2D/3D hybrid gameplay. While I'm not the biggest fan of that on consoles, it sure as hell did the sonic series a ton of favors. Like @skywake said the tail end of the trailer is doing alot and the worlds seem to be pretty big.

Its just I wish this was a single player big open world 3D mario using the graphics style from Mario Kart 8 with a story similar to Galaxy.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

NinChocolate

I think most complaints are with the graphics. They don't see the polygon count or endless details in the backgrounds that agree with the next gen graphics focus that other companies tell us makes the world revolve. They wanted skyscrapers and majestic mountains holding aloft a highly detailed peach's castle as the went around bopping goombas.

As an old school SMB 3 person I'm loving the HD version of that universe. Never was wowed by galaxy's flash.

NinChocolate

rallydefault

iMii wrote:

I think most complaints are with the graphics. They don't see the polygon count or endless details in the backgrounds that agree with the next gen graphics focus that other companies tell us makes the world revolve. They wanted skyscrapers and majestic mountains holding aloft a highly detailed peach's castle as the went around bopping goombas.

As an old school SMB 3 person I'm loving the HD version of that universe. Never was wowed by galaxy's flash.

Most complaints are from people who haven't even touched the game.

rallydefault

WebHead

I think 3D World is beautiful.

I am getting this, but I think I will get Sonic Lost World first to support 3rd party.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

NintySince96

iMii wrote:

Galaxy was more than just flash.

And yes, you're right. We were expecting stunning visuals. Isn't that what you spend money on an HD console for? The visuals on this game are crisp and smooth, but for a console with the power of the Wii U they hit way below its weight. And honestly, it's more than just the graphics that a lot of people don't like. We were expecting a star collecting adventure with actual worlds instead of just levels.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not fair the way people that like the game on this forum keep labeling those of us that don't like it as "complainers" and saying things like, "you haven't even played it yet."

If we're not fond of the direction they took then that's our opinion.

NintySince96

Innit

MetallicDonkey wrote:

This is the exact type of game that casuals buy. It's familiar and safe. That's why New Super Mario Bros Wii outsold Galaxy 1 and 2 COMBINED by 10 million copies.

This is the kind of game you develop when your console is struggling. When it already has the install base, then you can make a more ambitious game (like a Galaxy). Right now Nintendo needs system sellers, so that's why Mario Kart and a "retread" game like this becomes the priority to produce.

The only thing I would add to this is take a look at what's been shown, crank open your imagination a little and think what this team can do with that power in later lavels, levels that are not used bring in a broad audience. I expect full insanity in level design later in this piece.

Edited on by Innit

Innit

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.